Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Vienna Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I found a supermarket; yes, that’s right, a SUPERMARKET, in the basement. -nmatavka
VIE Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Vienna International Airport.
What to Expect
Vienna Airport (Code: VIE) consists of four terminals: T1, T1A, T2 and T3. International carriers fly out of T1 and T3, while budget airlines depart from T1A. As of June 2019, T2 is still closed for renovations. The terminals are all directly connected to each other; however, some travellers have noted that the layout is generally a bit confusing. There are a good range of restaurants – particularly in the Arrivals Hall, where many are open 24-hours a day. There are also plenty of charging points, some of which are housed in little cubicles, and free and unlimited WiFi. For added comfort while you wait, economy class passengers can access first class lounges – three of which have showers! See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Vienna Airport
Vienna is a fairly sleep-friendly airport. Staff seem to be tolerant of overnighters and there are plenty of armrest-free benches or couches to choose from. Specifically, past-sleepers have recommended the couches at T3’s F Gates (F30 and F27 specifically) and reclining chairs at the B Gates in T1. There is also a relaxation room in Terminal 3 at the G Gate, complete with couches. That said, the airport can get noisy and cold, making a blanket and earplugs or noise cancelling headphones worthy carry-on items. Explore our guide to sleeping in Vienna Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep there are hotels directly connected to the airport, and others nearby that are connected by shuttles. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. If you have some time to spare please write a review, send a tip or share photos to help future travellers.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Vienna Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Vienna Airport Hotels
Nearest Hotel: At the Airport
Sleep Cabins or Pods: No
Day Rooms: No
Nearby Hotels with Free Shuttles: No
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair isn’t really doing it for you, there is good news for those of you who are looking to sleep at Vienna Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover, there is no transit hotel, but there is a hotel connected to the Arrivals Hall that offers day rooms. A number of nearby hotels can be found within 10 minute drive, some offer transfers for a fee.
At Airport NH Vienna Airport Conference Center – (2 minute walk from the airport) Located across from the Arrivals Hall. Day rooms are available 9:00AM to 7:00PM. » Check Rates
Near Airport Moxy Vienna Airport – (6 minute walk from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
Near Airport Das Reinisch Hotel – (8 minute drive from the airport) Airport transfers are available. at € 10 per person, each way. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Vienna Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Air Lounge – Location: Airside, non-Schengen, at the start of the D gates right after passport control. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
Sky Lounge – Location: multiple locations – Schengen and non-Schengen. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Jet Lounge – Location: Airside, Schengen, next to A-Gates on 2nd floor. Serves Check-in 1 or 2. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
- Austrian Airlines Business Lounge (Location: Terminal 1, Airside) • Austrian Airlines Senator Lounge (Location: Terminal 3, Airside – 2 locations) • Austrian Airlines Business Lounge (Location: Terminal 3, Airside – 2 locations) • Austrian Airlines HON Circle Lounge (Location: Terminal 3, Airside – 2 locations).
Free WiFi is available at Vienna Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Changing tables are available in most large restrooms and at the Family Fun Gate at T3, airside, F Gates. Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge. You can pick one up at the Baggage Service Center in T3 and use it all the way up to the gate!
- Children’s Play Areas – If you’re travelling with kids ages 4 – 10 years old, check out the Family Fun Gate, an indoor playground with climbing wall, a slide, labyrinth, revolving doors and more! Location: T3, airside, at the start of the F Gates (just after the shopping area). Another area to check out is the Family Corner, with interactive game screens. There is one Family Corner each at the F Gates and the G Gates. The Family Corner at G Gates also has a play area for small children.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Landside: Cafe + Co Bar vending machines (Office Park 3) • McDonald’s / McCafe (Arrivals)
- Airside: Cafe + Co Bar vending machines (three locations – at Gates C, F and G)
- Supermarket – If you are arriving and need to grab some groceries on the way home there is a Spar Supermarket in the airport. Location: T3, Landside, Arrivals. Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM. The grocery store now offers an online ordering service. Order online and pickup at the airport (at a collection station at the multi-storey car park 4) before heading home.
There are several information desks located throughout the airport:
- Tourist Information – Location: Arrivals. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM
- ÖBB Train Information – Location: Arrivals Hall. Hours: 8:00AM – 6:30PM.
- Airport Information: – Locations: Terminal 3 (Hours: 5:30AM – 10:00PM) • Terminal 1 (Hours: 5:00AM – 10:50PM) • Arrivals Hall – Airside (Hours: 5:30AM – 10:50PM) • Arrivals Hall, Landside (Hours: 5:30AM – 11:30PM).
- Luggage Trolleys – There is a refundable fee to use the luggage trolleys. They will accept the following coins: € 1 • € 0,50 • Czk 5 • HUF 100 • Sfr 1 • US-Cent 25.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Store your luggage with Baggage Service Centre for up to 6 months at the following rates: € 4 per regular-sized piece of luggage, per day or € 8 per oversized piece of luggage, per day. Other services available are safe deposit box for € 6 per item, per day, and wardrobe service storage of jacket/coat, shoes, hat, gloves and scarf for € 2 per set of clothing, per day. Location: T1 and T3, landside in both terminals. Hours: 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Available at Baggage Service Centre for € 12 per bag/suitcase. If you need to transport a bike, bike boxes are available for € 35 per box. Location: T1 and T3, landside in both terminals. Hours: 24 hours.
- Medical Services – Travel vaccinations, as well as urgent and emergency medical care, is available at the Medical Centre. Location: T1, landside, Arcade Walkway, opposite the Pharmacy. Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Pharmacy – Flughafen Apotheke – Location: T1, landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 7:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – Power outlets are available throughout the airport, and integrated power outlets and USB connections can be found in seating areas at the B and C gates. In addition, specially-equipped workstations at gates F and G offer power outlets and laptop workspace.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside: T1 • T2 • T3 • Arrivals • Car Park 8 • Office Park 1 and 3 • VIP/GAC. Airside: C Gates • D Gates • F Gates • G Gates • Plaza
- Currency Exchange – Interchange and Raiffeisenbank counters can be found landside and airside. Hours: vary by location with Interchange offering the longest hours (5:00AM – 11:00PM) both Landside and Airside.
- Prayer Room – Interfaith prayer rooms are available in the airport. Church service is held every Sunday at 8:00AM. Locations: T3, landside, Level 2 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T3, airside, Level 3 • The Plaza, airside. If you need a pastor, one is available at the pastoral care office. Location: T3, landside, Level 2. Hours: 10:00AM – 1:00PM.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – The airport offers long benches ideal for a transit nap and areas of rest chairs in the International Departures area.
- In Terminal 1, there are comfortable deck chairs at the B Gates. At the C and D Gates, there are long benches. Also in the D Gates, there is also a relaxation area.
- In Terminal 3, there are comfortable couches at the F and G Gates. Also in the G Gates, there is a Relaxation Room with comfortable couches.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Heinemann Duty Free is available airside in the Plaza, C Gates, D Gates, F Gates and G Gates, with most of the locations open from 5:00AM until 10:00PM or 11:30PM. A wide variety of retail shops is also available, including Spar Supermarket (Landside, Arrivals. Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM).
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking – Smoking is permitted in designated areas only. Check out these restaurants if you want to have a cigarette – Airside head to Daily Roast, Johann Strauss Kuliniart and Zugvogel; Landside try Johann’s Biereck, Take Off or The Dubliner.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour.Take a tour and learn about the history and the complex functions of the airport through interactive and educational displays at the VISITAIR Center (Hours: 8:30AM – 6:00PM, Closed Sunday). Among the center’s features are an “interactive media table” and a “sound station” where you can listen to sample flight, traffic and everyday noise. A more exciting tour option includes a bus ride out on the tarmac! Location: Airside. Days: . Departure Time: Tours run between 9:00AM – 5:00PM (reservation required!). Tour Duration: 50 minutes. Rates: Entry to center is free, but the tour is € 9,90 per adult. A kid’s tour is also available.
- Observation Deck – Watch take-offs and landings with panoramic views from the Visitor Terrace. Read about airport facts, figures and job details from the aviation display boards at the terrace. Location: access via T3. Hours: 10:00AM – 8:00PM (all other days) • 8:00AM – 10:00PM (Summer hours 1 May – 31 Aug).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Vienna airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Algérie • Air Baltic • Air Cairo • Air Canada • Air China • Air Dolomiti • Air Europa • Air France • Air India • Air Madagascar • Air Malta • Air Mauritius • Air Moldova • Air Serbia • Air Seychelles • Air Via • American Airlines • All Nippon Airways • Arkia Israeli Airlines • Asiana Airlines • ASL Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Belavia • BH Air • Blue Air • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Bulgaria Air • China Airlines • Condor • Corendon Airlines • Corsair • Croatia Airlines • CSA Czech Airlines • Delta Air Lines • Dniproavia • EasyJet • Egyptair • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Etihad Airways • Ethiopian Airlines • Eurowings • EVA Air • Finnair • FlyEgypt • Flynas • Freebird • Georgian Airways • Germanwings • Hainan Airline • Iberia • Iran Air • Iraqi Airlines • Japan Airlines • Jet2 • KLM • Korean Air • LATAM • Laudamotion • LEVEL • LOT • Lufthansa • Luxair • Malaysia Airlines • Montenegro Airlines • Nordica • Norwegian • Nouvelair • Olympic Air • Onur Air • Pegasus Airlines • Peoples Viennaline • Plus Ultra Lineas Aereas • Qantas • Qatar Airways • Rossiya • Royal Jordanian • S7 Airlines • SAS • Saudia • Singapore Airlines • Stobart Air • SunExpress • Swiss • Syrianair • TAP Portugal • Tarom • Thai Airways • Transavia • TUIFly • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Ural Airlines • UTair • Volotea • Vueling • Welcome Air • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Vienna Airport Lines provides bus service between VIE airport and Vienna’s underground and long distance railways. There are three routes available, including the Wien Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz line which operates 24 hours a day and can reach central Vienna from the airport in just 20 minutes.
Long-distance buses to Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic are also available from the airport.
For fares, schedules and further information, visit the OBB website.
Rental cars are available on-site on Level 0 of multi-storey car park 4 (P4) from the following companies: Alamo, Avis, Buchbinder, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Flizzr, Hertz, Megadrive, National, Payless, Sixt and Thrifty. U-Save has a car rental return next to P4.
Car sharing is an economical and eco-friendly way to rent a car for a brief period. Car sharing stations are located throughout the city, and are open 24 hours a day. Vehicles can be picked up at one station and dropped off at another. Car2Go and DriveNow have vehicles available for use from Vienna Airport.
CAT (City Airport Train)
CAT is a non-stop express train that can reach central Vienna from the airport in just 16 minutes. The train operates from 5:37AM – 11:39PM between the airport and Wien Mitte Station in central Vienna. At the time of this update, the fare is €12 for a single ticket and €21 for a round-trip ticket. For schedules and further information, visit the OBB web site.
See Airport Hotels above.
Taxis and Limousines
Taxis and limousines are available for hire at the taxi rank directly in front of the arrivals hall or ask for assistance at the “City Transfer” counter in the arrivals hall.
The S-Bahn, or suburban underground railway, can take passengers from Vienna Airport to central Vienna in 25 minutes via the S7 line or to the Vienna Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) in 16 minutes. Tickets can be purchased from automated ticket machines located on train platforms at the airport and in the Vienna metropolitan area.
Passengers can connect to Linz, S. Pölten, Budapest and more, on a long-distance (ICE) train, which connect at the Vienna Main Train Station.
For fares, schedules and further information, visit the OBB web site.
Last updated: 2020-10-20
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.