Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Washington Dulles Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I didn’t get a wink of sleep, but I saved a lot of $$$$. – Paul
IAD Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Washington Dulles Airport.
What to Expect
Washington Dulles Airport (code: IAD) is a busy and often crowded airport, with a main terminal and two concourses (A/B and C/D), connected to each other by the AeroTrain, a shuttle and walkways. Reviewers generally suggest that Concourse B is the nicest area of the airport, with the best shops and restaurants. That said, if you’re looking for food 24-hours a day, your only options (post-Covid) are currently only before security. While amenities and services are limited, the free WiFi should help pass the time. For added comfort while you wait, economy class passengers can pay to access one of the airport lounges. See guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Dulles Airport
The best sleeping options at Dulles are airside – particularly in Concourses C and D (C20 and D1), where there are plenty of armrest-free benches to stretch out on. Landside, reviewers say that all seats have armrests, and that it’s particularly cold and noisy, making it worth your while to clear security before your nap. That said, it’s not always warm and quiet airside either; a blanket, layers and earplugs or noise cancelling headphones will go a long way in improving the quality of your sleep. Explore our guide to sleeping in Dulles Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep there are nearby airport hotels nearby that are connected by free airport shuttles.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Washington Dulles Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Dulles Airport Hotels & Sleep Pods
Nearest Hotel: Inside the Airport
Sleep Cabins or Pods: Yes
Day Rooms: Yes
Nearby Hotels with Free Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair is giving you nightmares, there is good news for those of you who are looking to sleep at Washington Dulles Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover, the Sleepbox Lounge provides sleep cabins that can be booked for short-term and overnight stays. Off-site, there are a nearby hotels within a 10-minute drive that provide free airport shuttles.
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
Hotels inside the Airport
- Sleepbox Lounge – Temporarily Closed – 16 sound-proof rooms that come with a memory foam XL twin-bed, pull out desk, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth speakers, mood lighting, privacy window tint and charging ports. Rooms can be booked hourly, or in 15 minutes increments after the first hour, through the Sleepbox smartphone app. Location: Mezzanine level, Airside, between gates A6 and A14, near the AeroTrain in Concourse A. Rates: $24/hour or up to $120/night. » Check Rates
Hotels near Dulles Airport with free shuttles
For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone in the baggage claim area.
- Washington Dulles Airport Marriott » Check Rates
- Westin Washington Dulles Airport » Check Rates
- Candlewood Suites Washington-Dulles Herndon » Check Rates
- Sonesta ES Suites Dulles Airport » Check Rates
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Dulles Int’l Airport » Check Rates
- Best Western Dulles Airport Inn » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Dulles Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!Passes Air France – KLM Lounge – Location: Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse A, opposite Gate A22. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
British Airways Galleries Lounge – Location: Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse B. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.Passes Turkish Airlines Lounge – Location: Concourse B, Airside, next to Gate B43. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
United Club – Multiple Locations – (3) Concourse C and (1) Concourse D. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of United Airlines ticket • United Club Membership.
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse – Location: Concourse A, Airside, near Gate A32. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Lufthansa Business Lounge – Location: Midfield Terminal, Concourse B, near Gates B49 – B51. Lounge Access: First Class, Business Class, HON Circle Member, Senator, Frequent Traveller and Star Alliance Gold membership.
Ethiad Airways Lounge – Temporarily Closed.
USO Lounge – The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to active members of the US military and their families. Location: Main Terminal, Arrivals Level, across from Baggage Claim 11 and 12.
Related Pages: Washington Dulles Airport Lounges
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Dulles Airport. Connect to the “FlyDulles” network.
An email and postal/zip code is required for login. International visitors can simply enter “YES” in the postal/zip code field to continue.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Nursing rooms provide a secure and private environment with comfortable seating, power outlets and more. Locations:
- Landside – Main Terminal,across from Baggage Claims 2/6/11/14
- Airside – Gates A20, B70 (has a restroom), C11 (has a sink) and D1.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. The “Funway” includes airplane-themed elements to climb and slide on, an interactive game system with over 100 games and parents can stay connected and charge their mobiles while watching the kids. Location: Airside, Gate B70.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – There are more than 30 food and beverage concessions at the airport. Here are the dining options that are open 24 hours:
- Landside – Dulles Gourmet Market (Baggage Claim) / Washingtonian News.
- Airside – At the time of this update (July 2022), all of the concessions that were open 24 hours pre-Covid remain closed overnight.
- Information Desk – Information desks are available at several locations throughout the airport. Hours: unknown.
- Landside – Baggage Claim 6 • Baggage Claim 11 • Baggage Claim 14
- Airside – Just beyond security • Near Gate A15 • Near Gate B62 • Near Gate C17 • Near Gate D16.
- In addition to dedicated information desks you will see Airport Ambassadors roaming the airports.
- Traveler’s Aid – Traveler’s Aid is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assist with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Locations:
- Landside – Baggage Claim, adjacent to carousel # 6 • Baggage Claim, adjacent to carousel # 11 • Baggage Claim, adjacent to carousel # 14 • Departures Level (Ticketing), Two kiosks along the front of the terminal.
- Airside – Concourse A, near A15 • Concourse B, near B62 • Concourse C, C17 • Concourse D, D16.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available for rent through Smarte Carte. The carts can be rented using cash or credit cards. Carts are available free of charge to passengers arriving on international flights in the International Arrivals area.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Mobile Charging – Free charging stations can be found throughout the gated areas and in the International Arrivals area. Additional charging stations can be found at the B Gates food court near Gate B73 and in C and D Concourses. Restaurants also allow the use of their outlets if you are eating or drinking at the establishment.
- Electric Vehicle Charging – available free of charge. Standard parking rates apply.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, operated by Capital One, are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Banking Services – Capitol One Bank offers full banking services. Location: Landside, near Baggage Carousel 5. Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 8:00AM – 4:00PM (Sat).
- Currency Exchange – ICE Currency Exchange offers multiple locations both landside and airside. Hours: vary by location with most open by 7:00AM and closed by 9:30PM.
- Pet Relief – The airport provides dedicated areas if you are travelling with your pet. Locations:
- Landside – Door 16, United Airlines counter • Door 1, near AeroMexico counter • Arrivals Level, Baggage Claim, near carousel 1.
- Airside – Gate A32 and Gate D1.
- Chapel – Collect your thoughts in a quiet and peaceful environment at the airport’s interfaith chapel. The Airport Chaplaincy provides basic pastoral care to passengers, airport and airline staff. Jewish, Christian and Muslim prayer services and Catholic Mass are offered. Location: Concourse A, airside, Gate A32 Hours: Open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free Americas has a number stores at the airport. Locations: Gate A32 • B63 • Gate C4 • Gate D12. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Massages – Not available.
- Showers – Showers can be found in the Air France-KLM and British Airways Lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa & Salon Services – Not available.
- Smoking – Smoking lounges are located near gates B37, B73, C2 and D30.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according to the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. The TSA security screening checkpoint hours vary according to location:
- East Checkpoint: 3:45AM – 10:30PM
- West Checkpoint: 8:00AM – 12:00PM & 1:30PM – 7:00PM.
- TSA Pre✓™: 4:30AM – 10:00PM
Washington Dulles airport is served by the following airlines: Aer Lingus • Air Canada • Air France • Air India • Alaska Airlines • American Airlines • All Nippon Airways • Austrian Airlines • Avianca • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Copa Airlines • Delta Air Lines • Egyptair • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Iberia • Icelandair • KLM • Korean Air • Lufthansa • Porter • Qatar Airways • Royal Air Maroc • SAS • Saudia • Southern Airways • Southwest Airlines • TAP • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Virgin Atlantic • Volaris.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The Silver Line Express provides bus service between Washington-Dulles Airport and the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail Station, a stop along the silver line of Washington DC’s Metrorail system. Buses run every 15 to 20 minutes from 6:00AM – 9:40PM on weekdays (reduced hours on weekends). At the time of this update, the fare is $5 each way.
In addition, the airport is served by at least 4 additional bus connections delivering travellers to a variety of destinations. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Washington Dulles Airport website.
The following agencies provide on-site car rental service: Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Sixt • Thrifty.
Several area hotels offer airport shuttle service: Best Western Dulles Airport Inn • Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway • Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport • Hilton Washington Dulles Airport • Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport • Hyatt House Sterling/Dulles Airport-North • Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport – East • Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel • The Westin Washington Dulles Airport • TownePlace Suites Washington Dulles Airport • Washington Dulles Airport Marriott.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Aerotrain – Automated trains move passengers between the terminal and the midfield (A, B, and C) gates for domestic and international departing flights and domestic arriving flights. The travel time between stations is less than 2 minutes.
A dedicated pick-up curb for ride app passengers (Uber, Lyft and ALTO) is located on the ground level outside of Baggage Claim. Accessible via Doors 2, 4 and 6.
SuperShuttle and Supreme Airport Shuttle offer 24-hour shared transfer service from the airport to your destination of choice. No prior reservation required. The shuttles can be found down the ramps from Arrivals Doors 2 or 7 at the Dulles Airport Ground Transportation Center.
Washington Flyer Taxicabs provide 24 hour service exclusively between the airport and the DC metropolitan area. Reservations are not required for service from the airport, but are highly recommended for service to the airport. Cash, credit cards and airline-issued vouchers are accepted as payment. Taxis can be found on the lower level outside Doors 2 or 6.
Last updated: 2022-07-14
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.