Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Zurich Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I found the airport very beautiful. It’s big and a lot of very helpful people who spoke with me in my language. -mayss94
ZRH Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Zurich Airport.
What to Expect
Zurich Airport (code: ZRH) is divided into the Airport Center and the Airside Center. The Airport Center houses landside activities like check-in counters and security checkpoints. The Airside Center serves as the hub for the three terminals/gate areas: A, B/D, and E. Terminal E is housed in a separate building, connected by the Skymetro underground train. A new facility, currently under construction, will replace Terminal A upon completion in 2021.
Dining and shopping are plentiful (and expensive), though all close by 10:00PM. Plan ahead for late-night snacks, as no eateries stay open 24 hours. Other amenities include free WiFi, a designated rest area with pay-to-use reclining chairs for napping, and pay-to-use showers. Economy class passengers can pay to access a few of the airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Zurich Airport
Airport security is generally tolerant of the few overnight campers, and they’ll likely check your ID and boarding pass. They may also hand out a brochure to the airport’s pay-to-use napping area if you’re interested in more comfort – for a price. Travellers agree that the airside is more comfortable than landside. Most gates quiet down by 11:00PM and benches offer some spots to stretch out. Common complaints are the cold temps and bright lights — nothing that an extra layer and an eye mask can’t fix. Explore our guide to sleeping in Zurich Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, check out the transit hotel at Gates B/D and the traditional hotel connected to the Airport Center. Nearby hotels also offer free or paid airport shuttles. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Zurich Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Aspire Lounge (Non-Schengen) – Location: Airside, Midfield Terminal E, Non-Schengen Area, 2nd Floor, above Gate E45. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Aspire Lounge (Schengen) – Location: Airside, Schengen Area, 3rd floor of Airside Center. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Dnata Skyview Lounge – Location: Airside, 2nd floor of Airside Center – Access via Check-In # 1 and Check-In # 2. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
- Primeclass Lounge – Location: Airside, located by Gate E52. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Swiss Lounge D – Location: Airside, Non-Schengen Area, Transit Area D. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
Emirates Lounge • SKYTEAM Lounge • Swiss Arrival Lounge • Swiss Business Lounge • Swiss First Lounge • Swiss Senator Lounge • Swiss Senator/Business Lounge.
Related Pages: Zurich Airport Lounges
Zurich Airport Hotels
- Nearest Hotel: Inside the Airport
- Sleep Cabins or Pods: Yes
- Day Rooms: Yes
- Nearby Hotels with Free Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair is giving you nightmares, there is good news for those of you who are looking to sleep at Zurich Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover, you don’t have to go through security as there is a transit hotel offering both short-term and overnight rates. A hotel within walking distance and several more nearby hotels offering free airport shuttles are other options.
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.In Transit Transit Hotel – Located in the transit area at Gate D, 1st Floor (non-Schengen). The transit hotel offers private rooms and a rest area. The private rooms are equipped with beds, television and sink with running water. The rest and relaxation area has 12 bed-style seats in private cubicles. Blankets are provided. Showers are included in the cost of the room and sleep chairs. Bath towel, toiletries and hair dryers are provided. Single Rates (Day): CHF 49 (3 hours) • CHF 59 (6 hours) • CHF 79 (more than 6 hours). Double Rates (Day): CHF 65 (3 hours) • CHF 79 (6 hours) • CHF 99 (more than 6 hours). Rates are available for triple rooms and overnight stays as well. The rest & relaxation area rates are: CHF 25 (3 hours) • CHF 30 (6 hours) • CHF 35 (more than 6 hours). Important: the Transit Hotel is not accessible from the Schengen area between 11:00 PM and 5:30 AM. Email the hotel at email@example.com to make a reservation. » Read Reviews At Airport Alpine Garden Capsule Hotel – Sleep capsules are located opposite check-in 1 on the landside/public zone. Available for day (8:00AM – 7:00PM) and overnight use. As of March 2022 when we checked online, the rates were from 35.00 CHF (Day-use) and 51.77 (upper level) – 54.89 (lower level). » Check Rates At Airport Radisson Blu Hotel Zurich Airport – The hotel is connected to the airport terminal via walkway. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates At Airport Hyatt Place Zurich Airport The Circle – 5 minute walk to the terminal. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates At Airport Hyatt Regency Zurich Airport The Circle – 5 minute walk to the terminal. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
More hotels near the airport with free shuttle
- Mövenpick Hotel Zurich-Airport » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Zurich Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Zurich Airport for 4 hours. Connect to the “ZurichAirport” network. After you register, you will receive a code by text message (if you are unable to receive an SMS, head to a boarding pass scanner to receive your access code). After the 4 hour time limit, you can wait 7 hours for another free 4-hour time period, or you can purchase additional time at 6.90 CHF for 1 hour, 9.90 CHF for 4 hours, or 14.90 CHF for 24 hours.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from the airport’s post office. Swiss Post Location: Airport Center Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM (Daily).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play area. Locations: Airside, A81 • Airside, A71 • Airside, B38.
- Family Services – To ease the burden of travel for families with children, Zurich Airport has provided a Family Services room. The room comes equipped with diaper changing tables, baby care products for sale, rooms for sleeping and breastfeeding, kitchenette with microwave and utensils, and a large and colorful playroom with toys for the little ones and Playstation and computer games for older children. Babysitting is not available, but the rooms have child care specialists on hand for assistance and support. Locations: Airside, at the A Gates (next to transfer desk) Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Strollers – Getting around the airport with your child is much easier with the help of an airport stroller. Strollers are available for use for children 4 years old and under. You can pick one up at check-in and leave it at your gate before departing. Rate is CHF 5.00 per stroller (cash only). Location: Landside, Check-In 1 or 2, Careport Counter • Airside, Dock A, Family Services.
- Fitness – Need to burn off some energy before your flight? Drop in fees are available at the Airport Fitness and Wellness Center and include fitness equipment/classes, sauna access, personal training and much more. Location: Ground floor of the Radisson Blu Hotel, Airport Center. Hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon-Fri) • 9:00AM – 7:00PM (Sat-Sun). Rates: CHF 45. You can also pay to use the showers facilities, see showers below.
- Sports Equipment Rentals – Enjoy the outdoors? If you are an active traveller, the area around Zurich Airport is ideal for outdoor activity and fresh air in between flights. Bicycles are available for rent from PubliBike. Location: Car park P2.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. You will find some restaurants opening at 5:30AM and most close by 10:00PM.
- Information Desk – Locations: Arrival 1 • Arrival 2 • Airside Center • Observation Deck B, Check-in 2 • Landside, Service Center • Landside, The Circle. Hours: vary by location with a few open as early as 5:30AM and closing at 11:30PM. In addition to providing general information, the staff can also rent bikes and strollers, sell shower passes and train tickets and much more.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage Carts are available free of charge throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Store your luggage at the left luggage storage room or lockers available.
- Left Luggage Room – Rates are as follows: €7 – €15 per bag for 7 hours • €10 – €20 per bag per day • €70 – €140 per bag per week. Location: next to the Service Center in car park 2 (level 1). Hours: 6:00AM – 10:30PM.
- Lockers – Luggage can also be stored in the coin-operated lockers for a maximum of 72 hours. Average rates are €10 – €20 per locker per day. Maximum storage is 96 hours. CHF and Euro coins are accepted. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic by Safe Bag. Location: Check-in Area 2. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM. Rates: Unknown.
- Medical Services – All clinics can be found in Airport Center, near Check-In 1.
- Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the Airport Medical Center. Hours: 7:30AM – 7:00PM.
- Urgent and emergency dental care is available at the Airport Dental Services Clinic. Hours: 7:30AM – 6:30PM (Mon – Sat).
- Urgent/emergency eye care is available at the Airport Medical Center Eye Clinic from 8:00AM – 5:30PM (Mon-Fri).
- Pharmacy – Amavita operates 3 pharmacies. Locations: Airport Center (6:00AM – 9:00PM) • Check-in 1 (6:00AM – 9:00PM).
- Mobile Charging – A traveller advised us that “there are a set of 3 plugs together every 3 chairs and power outlets in the bathrooms – airside”. (SFT, May 2018)
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex provide currency services in the Airside, Arrivals Area (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM) • Airside, Airside, Center (Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM) • Landside, Check-in 2 (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM).
- Chapel Services – Services provided by Evangelical Church and the Roman Catholic Church. Location: Landside, Check-in 2. Hours: unknown.
- Prayer Room – Location: Airside, Gate D, 1st Floor (non-Schengen), next to the Transit Hotel.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – At the time of our August 2022 update we could not find information about rest zones, so they have closed during Covid. If you have any information, click here to update this airport guide.
- Duty Free and Shopping – The airport offers multiple Zurich Duty Free shops as well as enough shops for a small shopping center.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – There are four shower facilities that you can pay to use. Locations: Landside, Service Center, multi-storey car park 2, level 1. (Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM) • Airside, Transit D, next to the day rooms.(Hours: open 24 hours) • Airport Fitness and Wellness Center at the Radisson Blu Hotel (Hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon-Fri) • 9:00AM – 7:00PM (Sat-Sun). Rates: CHF 15. Price includes bath towel, toiletries and hair dryers are also provided. If you require more toiletries you can purchase them at the reception desk at either the Transit Hotel or the Family Services centre.
- Spa & Salon Services – Get your hair or nails done at one of these salons: Ella Beauty saloon (Location: Landside) • Airport Jet Coiffure (Location: Landside) • McCoiffure (Location: Landside).
- Smokers Lounges – There are 22 smokers lounges: 4 are located landside and 8 are located airside.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes tour. The areas visited include: the aprons, Pier A, and the Airside Center, and then through the tunnel beneath runway 28 to Pier E, where you can get out of the bus and enjoy a close-up view of aircraft landing and taking off. Tour Duration: 2 hours. Tours are not currently available for individuals, but groups up to 75 participants can book. Rates: CHF$275 (15 people) – CHF$1375 (75 people).
- Observation Deck – Watch pilots in the cockpits through special multimedia binoculars from Observation Deck B, the airport’s main observation deck. A miniature airport playground is available for the little ones, or you can take your kids on the self-guided SWISS Kid’s Tour, which includes a coloring book and twelve interactive learning stations. During the summer months, Observation Deck E is open for viewing long-haul airplanes. Observation Deck E can be reached by free shuttle bus from Observation Deck B. Tickets for Observation Deck B are CHF 5.00 for adults and CHF 2.00 for kids (kids under age 10 are free). Location: entrance next to Check-In 2, but you must clear security first. Hours for Observation Deck B: 10:00AM – 6:00PM (closed at 5:00PM during winter months). Shuttle buses for Observation Deck E run in 30 minute intervals.
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Shoe Repair – Break a heel, need a key cut or a souvenir engraved? Head to Jet Service TAN. Location: Check-in Area 3. Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Zurich airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Air Albania • Air Baltic • Air Cairo • Air Canada • Air Corsica • Air Europa • Air France • Air Malta • Air Montenegro • AirSerbia • American Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Blue Islands • British Airways • Bulgaria Air • Chair Airlines • Condor • Corendon • Croatia Airlines • Delta Air Lines • EasyJet • Edelweiss • EL AL Israel Airlines • Emirates • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • Fly Egypt • Helvetic Airways • Iberia • Icelandair • KLM • LOT • Lufthansa • Oman Air • Pegasus Airlines • Qatar Airways • Royal Jordanian • SAS • Saudia • Singapore Airlines • Sky Alps • SunExpress • Swiss • Tailwind Airlines • TAP Portugal • Thai Airways • Turkish Airlines • Twin Jet • United Airlines • Vueling.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The covered bus terminal at Zurich is the largest and best-connected bus terminal in Switzerland, providing direct access to Check-In, the Zurich Airport Railway Station, the Glattalbahn Tram stop and the Airport Center. Sixteen bus and Postbus routes serve Zurich Airport.
Flugbus offers transportation from central Switzerland to Zurich Airport, arriving at the airport as early as 5:00AM to catch those morning flights. For more information, visit the Flugbus website.
Special services buses operate during the winter, transporting passengers between ZRH airport and ski resorts in the Swiss Alps and across the border.
For bus routes, stop, schedules and fares, go to the Zurich Airport Regional Transportation page on the Zurich Airport website.
A large selection of well-known hire car companies are on hand to provide assistance. Car rental companies include: Avis • Budget • Dollar/Thrifty • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt. A few of the counters remain closed due to Covid. Location: Airport Shopping, Level 01. Most operate from 6:30AM – 11:30PM.
These area hotels provide courtesy airport shuttles for their guests (bus stop on curbside lane between Arrivals 1 and 2): Hilton Zurich Airport • Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport • Ibis Zurich Messe Airport.
Check-In All Ways provides a shared ride service exclusively serving hotels in the city center. Shuttles depart every 30 minutes from the curbside in front of Arrivals 2 between 6:30AM – 11:00PM. Like regular shared ride services, the rates for a ride with Check-In All Ways depends on the amount of passengers riding and the destinations requested, per shuttle.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Taxis are readily available in front of Arrivals 1 and 2. Official airport taxis are all-white, with an illuminated sign that says “Airport Taxi”. All official airport taxis take credit card, provide VAT-compliant receipts and have multi-lingual drivers. Taxi coordinators are available onsite during peak hours. At the time of this update, the average one-way fare from the airport to the city center is CHF 50.
With about 350 rail connections, the Zurich Airport Railway Station is one of the best-connected rail stations in Switzerland. The SBB Travel Centre is located under the Airport Center in the Check-in 3 area. Ticket counters are open from 6:15AM – 10:30PM, but tickets are also available from vending machines in Arrivals 1 and 2.
Last updated: 2022-10-28
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.