Whether you are an experienced airport sleeper or new to the game, this sleep guide will give you the essential information to better prepare you for sleeping in Taipei Taoyuan Airport.
Our guide is updated with the help of airport sleepers who tell us about their experiences at Taipei Taoyuan Airport. If you have a tip to share, write a review to help us keep this sleep guide up-to-date!
Covid-19 Update: This sleep guide was written before Covid-19, so the information may have changed. In October 2021, we will be starting our first guide update since March 2020. A lot has changed, so it’s going to be a massive update. If you are interested in helping, click here to add or update information or write a review to add tips or share photos to help future travellers .
This guide was last updated: 17 September 2019. Read the latest traveller reviews.
Sleeping in Taipei Taoyuan Airport
Locations & Seating
This sleep-friendly airport has plenty of comfortable seating options, including reclining chairs located throughout the terminals. Quiet nooks offer privacy, in case you want to sleep on the floor. Carpeting is limited, so a sleep mat, blanket, or sleeping bag will provided much-needed cushion.
Here are good sleep spots that travellers have reported:
- A lounge area in Terminal 1, between Gates A and B.
- Recliner chairs are located at Gate B7.
- Several themed rest lounges at the C Gates.
Taipei Taoyuan Airport has a few free lounges that offer comfortable seating and within a fun, local theme. Lounge locations: Gate C3 Hello Kitty Wonderland, Gate C5 e-Library Lounge, Gate C6 Unforgettable Yummy (with free tea samples), and Gate C7 Postal Waiting Lounge, where you can write a postcard. A transfer resting area (T2, Zone D) offers 13 reclining chairs. Also in T2, look for the Shi Shi Ru Yuan resting area at the 4F Transfer Hall.
At the time of this update, we have not received reports from travellers related to terminal temperature. Still, you can likely expect the airport to cool down at night, as air conditioning continues to run and fewer people are inside. Arrive prepared with a blanket or even a sleeping bag. A hoodie provides extra warmth if the terminal gets even colder.
At the time of this update, we have not received reports from travellers related to terminal brightness. Come prepared with eyeshades or something else to cover your eyes, such as a shirt or towel.
Travellers report a calmer, quieter environment than most airports of this size. By day, expect the usual airport hum of announcements and chatting travellers. At night, it seems to quiet down significantly, with cleaning crews passing by quickly. Still, it’s best to be prepared with earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones.
Freshen up (and loosen those stiff muscles) with a shower before your flight. Free, 24-hour shower facilities are located in 7 locations inside Security:
- Terminal 1, Floor 1
- Terminal 1, Floor 2, Arrivals (2 locations)
- Terminal 1, Floor 4
- Terminal 2, Floor 1
- Terminal 2, Floor 4, Departures (2 locations)
You may rent towels at the Salon Shop near the Terminal 2 location for US $4.
Food & Drink
When you get the midnight munchies or give up trying to sleep and need a coffee to stay awake, 24-hour food concessions are available. Check out these eateries and convenience stores: Dream Cafe (T2, landside, 1F) • Illy Cafe (T1, Airside, 3F x 2 locations) • Burger King (T2, landside, 4F) • Mos Burger (T1, landside, 3F • T2, landside, 4F) • D3 Bar (T2, airside, 3F).
If you prefer the privacy and comfort of a hotel room, you’ll have to leave the airport altogether. A couple hotels are located within a quick 5-minute drive of the airport, with airport shuttles available. See the hotel section in our Airport Guide for locations or visit Tripadvisor to find hotels deals at Taipei Airport.
If you are looking for a private place to nap for a few hours in between flights, check out the Plaza Premium Lounge, located in Terminal 2, Zone A. In addition to offering a comfortable place to hang out, they have a few private sleep rooms that can be rented in 6- or 12-hour blocks. Rooms can be booked at the lounge door or online in advance. For more information, check out our Taipei Taoyuan Airport Guide.
Security & Safety
Traveller report feeling welcomed by the friendly airport staff. At the time of this update, we have no reports from travellers commenting on safety issues at Taipei Taoyuan Airport. As a precaution, here are a few tips to ensure you have a safe airport sleeping experience:
- Know Where Security is Located. Whether you are sleeping in the airport alone or with friends, it is good to know where security is. Know where their office is located and look for video cameras where you decide to stay the night. Ask security where it is safe to spend the night. They’ve probably seen many airport sleepers before you, and they will direct you to a safe spot.
- Don’t Seclude Yourself. If you are travelling alone, we recommend that you sleep near other travellers or close to security.
- Hide Your Valuables. Don’t leave all your mobile devices out in plain view. We have received reports from people who woke up with only earphones and a laptop bag strap, but without the iPods or laptops that were attached. The same goes for important documents and money. Keep these secure on your body so no one can get them without waking you up.
- Secure Your Bags. If you are a deep sleeper, you may want to padlock your bag to something. If your bags have zippers turn the bag upside down (zippers to the floor) or sleep with your bag up against the wall so that it would be hard for someone to access it.
- Choose to Stay Alert. If you don’t feel safe, drink coffee, stay alert, and stay awake. You can always sleep on the plane!
Pro-tip: If you are sleeping in the public zone, don’t be surprised if you receive an early morning wake-up call. Security is known to make the rounds waking people up as travellers begin to arrive for morning flights.
Write a Review
To help us keep this page up-to-date for future airport sleepers, write a review about your experience sleeping in Taipei Taoyuan Airport.