Monastir Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Monastir Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
They just stood around and laughed at peoples passport pictures and didn't take any notice of the weight of peoples bags or even ask what was inside them! - Donald
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal international airport, served mainly by seasonal flights and short-distance flights to Tripoli. Shopping and dining options are limited and pricey. According to one reviewer, shopkeepers were rude and charged prices as they saw fit.
- One reviewer warns not to attempt to bring local currency home, as airport security will confiscate it and shops in the airport will not accept it.
- Only USD, British Pounds and Euro are accepted in airport shops and restaurants.
- If arriving into the airport from a flight, be vigilant at baggage claim when collecting your luggage. Watch out for taxi and luggage touts who will try to grab your luggage and demand “baksheesh” (a tip or bribe) in order to get it back.
Where to Sleep
- As of February 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Monastir Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Monastir airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Primeclass CIP Lounge - Location: Departure Terminal, Airside, Boarding Area, next to Gate 12. Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 40) • Book Online (£22)
WiFi is available at Monastir Airport inside the lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ] At the time of this update, we did not have any information about WiFi availability elsewhere in the terminal.
If sleeping in Monastir Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Royal Thalassa Monastir - (3 minutes from the airport) Located opposite the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Sahara Beach - (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Monastir Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are two ATMs available in the landside area of the departure hall.
- Baggage Carts - There are porters in the arrival and departure halls that will help you carry your luggage at no cost.
- Currency Exchange - There are four banks operating in airport. Three in the landside of the departure hall and one in the landside of the arrival hall. The branches offer regular banking services to passengers and visitors.
- Duty Free & Shopping - The ATU Duty Free shop is located airside after passport control.
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24-hour food options at this airport. There are 6 food and drink concessions: Coffee-inn • Canteen • Greenport • Flight Point • Sky Shop • Lindo.
- Information Desk - Locations: Arrivals and Departures Halls, Landside. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Medical Care - Basic emergency care is available at the Medical Centre. Location: Landside, Departure Hall. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Shopping & Duty Free - Yes
The airport is open 24 hours.
- Car Rentals - Dim • Heritiers. Locations: Arrivals Hall, on the right hand side after exiting the customs area.
- Public Transportation - Monastir Airport is served by trains to/from all major cities.
- Taxis - There are yellow taxis and white taxis serving Monastir airport. White taxis are tourist taxs, which are more comfortable and expensive. Fares: The cost per 1 km is 0,4 Dinar (Yellow Taxis) or 1,2 Dinar (White Taxis).
Last Updated: 19 April 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.