Kuala Lumpur International Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kuala Lumpur Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Long cushioned benches were nice and we pushed a couple of these together in a more remote area to make a 'double bed' - lisadridenour
I had a good experience staying at this airport. Being a first timer at this, I had very low expectations airports are meant for you to depart from and arrive to not as temporary forms of accommodation especially not for an unseasoned traveller. However, everything I needed was available and the time I spent in transit was very comfortable. Remember that there are two international airports in KL: The Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and the KL Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT).
I landed at the LCCT and based on the sleepinginairports.net reviews, took a shuttle to KLIA as there was about 28 hours till my next flight out of the country. Shuttle fare (the green bus with yellow strips if in doubt, ask) costs only 2.50 RM about 78 cents USD.
There are three main food areas. The largest one is called Food Garden on the second floor with many options, cuisines and price ranges. Theres one eatery on the fourth floor with the airline offices. All the fast food outlets and cafes are on the fifth. There is also a water fountain on the fourth floor to refill your water bottle. A convenient store is located on the ground floor and theres also a health/natural remedies store on the fifth floor for any last minute non-prescriptions.
Internet is the fastest on the fifth floor particularly around caf Old Town White Coffee in between KFC and McDonalds. Power points are mainly around the eateries in the fifth floor.
I slept on the long seats at the back of the fifth floor. Some are positioned facing the glass wall and away from the airline counters, giving you some privacy. Otherwise, you can move the seat rows around. There were a few people doing the same so it was very safe. I recommend using a sleeping mask to block out the LED lights above (though they are dimmed when late). I also had earphones to drown flight announcements (with the ipod underneath my jumper!), neck pillow and my own travel blanket. Others around me slept with coats/clothes over their bodies.
There is also the less known seating area on the fourth floor, opposite the eatery where there are long, padded leather couches, which you can stretch out on. I would have slept there for the night had I known because its more private, comfy, the internet connection is fast and power points & restrooms are in close proximity.
Bathroom facilities are fantastic they have cleaners in there all the time so its always very clean and safe. Also, there IS a shower (cold-water) for free public access. I found it - after asking, on the fourth floor near the prayer room in the airline offices corridor. Any issues ask the very friendly airport staff!
A few hours before my flight, I took the shuttle bus back to LCCT. In total, I spent 52 RM or 16 USD including shuttle fare and 5 shared meals drinks. Couldnt have asked for more.
Have you been to Kuala Lumpur Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Plaza Premium offers 2 - 10 hours of free food, drinks, internet, massage chair, showers, free local calls, reading material, comfortable armchairs. KLIA has two lounge locations:
- Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) - Location: Landside, opposite Departure Gate T1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: you can purchase a package at the door. Rates are: MYR 118 (2 hrs) • MYR158 (5 hrs) • MYR178 (10 hrs) or you can pre-book online to guarantee a seat at £25.00 (3 hrs) • £35.00 (3-6 hrs) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- Satellite Building - Location: Airside, International Departures Building, near Gate C11-17. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: packages rates at the door are: MYR 118 (2 hrs) • MYR158 (5 hrs) • MYR178 (10 hrs) or you can pre-book online to guarantee a seat at £25.00 (3 hrs) • £35.00 (3-6 hrs) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- MAS Golden Lounge - 3 Locations: West Wing (C1-C6), Mezzanine Level • Contact Pier Domestic • Contact Pier International.
- Royal Orchid Lounge - Location: North Wing (C11-17), Mezzanine Level
- Cathay Pacific Lounge - Location: East Wing (C21-C27), Mezzanine Level
- Silver Kriss Lounge - Location: North Wing (C11-17), Mezzanine Level
- Emirates Lounge - Location: East Wing (C21-C27), Mezzanine Level
- Dynasty Lounge - Location: South Wing (C31-37), Mezzanine Level
Free WiFi is available at KLIA Airport in the Satellite Building, Contact Pier, and arrival and departure halls. There is a 3 hour time limit. Connect to the "FREE_WIFI@KLIA network.
If sleeping in the Kuala Lumpur Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Airside Transit Hotel - located inside the airport at Satellite A. Day rooms are available in 6 and 12 hour blocks.
- Sama-Sama Hotel (formerly called the Pan Pacific Hotel) - adjacent to airport terminal. You can check-in at Baggage Claim (Caroussel F). Day rooms are available for 3, 5 or 7 hour stays. Day spa packages are available (see more info below).
- Concorde Inn - 3 minutes from the airport. Free airport shuttle.
- Tune Hotel - located 7 minute walk from the LCCT. 24 hour Shuttle is available.
- the youiQ Hotel- a budget friendly option near the airport. Airport transfer available for RM5.00 each way.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Kuala Lumpur Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Airside and Landside in the Main Terminal Building. Available in the Satellite Building, but the locations are unknown.
- Car Rentals - Kasina Baru • Hertz • Pantas • Mayflower • Orix • Insas • Avis. Offices are located in the Main Terminal Building, Arrival Halls C and B
- Children's play area & Nurseries - The Children's Play room is located Airside, Main Terminal Building, Level 5. Nurseries are located in the Main Terminal Building, International and Domestic Contact Piers, and the Satellite Building.
- Currency Exchange - There are 8 foreign exchange offices located in the Departure Hall, Contact Pier, Arrivals and LCCT.
- Food / Dining - Many options available. At the moment, I do not know which (if any) concessions are open 24 hours.
- Gym - A gym is available at the Airside Transit Hotel. Rate: RM 30.00 per person includes towel, soap and shampoo
- Information Desk - There is a Visitor Service Center on the 3rd Floor, Main terminal Building, near the baggage reclaim area (hours: open 24 hours). Information Desks are also available in the Main Terminal Building (Departure and Arrivals Hall), Contact Pier and Satellite Building.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Baggage Storage are available 24 hours per day. Location: Main Terminal Building, Departure Level, P2. Lockers can be found in ther Satellite Building, Passenger Level, P8. A reader tells us he saw them in the LCCT. Rates: RM 18-48 per item for 24 hours (storage room) and RM38-48 per item for 24 hours (lockers).
- Observation Deck - Location: Landside, at the end of the Main Terminal Building past the food hall.
- Prayer and Silent Rooms -
A Silent room is available in the Main Terminal Building, Level 5, Departure Hall. Prayer rooms for Muslim visitors and travellers are located in three locations:
- Main Terminal Building (on all levels)
- Contact Pier: near the entrance to Gates B2-B10(international flights) and next to transfer counters (domestic flights)
- Satellite Building: at the Mezzanine Level, Gates C11-C17 and Gates C21-C27
- Reflexology & Massage Centre - Location: Lot SATP B1, Passenger Level, Satellite Building, KLIA (leading to gates C1-C5, next to smoking room). Hours: 7am - 12am. Rates: vary according to service.
- Showers - Showers are available at the Airside Transit Hotel. Rate: RM 20.00 per person includes towel, soap and shampoo. Free cold water showers are availableon the 4th floor, past the eateries.
- Smoking Lounges - Locations: Contact Pier, Domestic Level, near Gate B2 and Satellite Building, Mezzanine Level, near Gate C11 and C31
- Spa - The Sama Sama Hotel has a day spa package for 60 ringgits (about $20US or €15). "It includes use of the outdoor pool, sauna, spa pools, fitness centre, lockers, showers and Free WiFi. You'll also get a stack of fluffy white towels and a pack of flashy toiletries - backpacker bliss." Thanks to Natalya for this tip!
- Trolleys - Available for free in the baggage reclaim area
- TV Lounges - Locations: airside and landside throughout the airport
Transportation: Getting Around
Unless you are going to pay for the Plaza Premium Lounge, the LCCT Terminal will be a boring nightmare for you. Take the airport shuttle to the Main Terminal Bulding. A reader tells us the cost is approx, 2.50 RM about 78 cents USD.
Open 24 hours
Facebook and Twitter Tips
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Kuala Lumpur Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Kuala Lumpur Travel Resources
- Kuala Lumpur Hotels - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 04 October 2013
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.