Kuala Lumpur International Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kuala Lumpur Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Long cushioned benches were nice and we pushed a couple of these together in a more remote area to make a 'double bed' - lisadridenour
I'm not sure that I'd put Kuala Lumpur International on the same level as Changi, but it is a pleasant airport for sleeping. The rail system to and from the city is exceptional. The facilities within the new KLIA2 are outstanding; the supermarket is particularly appreciated. The wi-fi is good, the loos are almost all well-maintained by a smiling, ever-present cleaner and the restaurants are numerous and largely inexpensive (from a Western European point-of-view; perhaps not to an American). This all being said, KLIA is not like Copenhagen Airport or Charles de Gaulle; do not expect the smiling faces of Portuguese language-students or Israeli hippies to be the bulk of those sleeping at KLIA. As an important transit point in Asia, KLIA attracts a varying crowd at night. Terminal 2 in particular can be a sobering reminder of the use of migrant-labour around the world. The low cost terminal doubles for a shanty town in parts as Indian families with children and babies in tow, spread themselves on the floors. While a slight waft of poverty can be noted, the atmosphere is always one of complete security, reinforced by the ever-present police patrols throughout the airport. They are of no bother. This airport seems entirely sleeper-friendly.
I have slept in Kuala Lumpur International on two occasions. The first time, I slept in Terminal 1. There were few people sleeping there in comparison to the other terminal, so finding a place was not much of an issue. However, there are fewer places to sleep in this terminal. The eating facilities here are excellent though. The night was made slightly longer by the fact that a cleaning troop was employed in the dusting of the ceiling; a loud operation to say the least. The second time I slept in KLIA, I chose KLIA2. The attitude towards where to sleep is certainly more relaxed there. People litter the floors throughout. The carpeted area is particularly comfortable and popular for sleeping. Be warned; arrive early to secure a place.
Have you been to Kuala Lumpur Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Plaza Premium offers 2 - 10 hours of free food, drinks, internet, massage chair, showers, free local calls, reading material, comfortable armchairs. KLIA has two lounge locations:
- KLIA2 - Location: Airside, Level 2, International Departures Level. Hours: unknown
- Satellite Building - Location: Airside, International Departures Building, near Gate C11-17. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: packages rates at the door are: MYR 118 (2 hrs) • MYR158 (5 hrs) • MYR178 (10 hrs) or you can pre-book online to guarantee a seat at £25.00 (3 hrs) • £35.00 (3-6 hrs) to guarantee that you have a seat.
» book lounge
- The Green Market - Location: KLIA 2, Landside, Departure Level. Hours: unknown
- Wellness Spa - Location: KLIA 2, Airside, Mezzanine Level, International Departures. Hours: unknown
- The Bar - Location: KLIA 2, Airside, Mezzanine Level, International Departures. Hours: unknown.
- Gateway @ KLIA2 - opening in June 2014
- MAS Golden Lounge - 3 Locations: West Wing (C1-C6), Mezzanine Level • Contact Pier Domestic • Contact Pier International.
- Royal Orchid Lounge - Location: North Wing (C11-17), Mezzanine Level
- Cathay Pacific Lounge - Location: East Wing (C21-C27), Mezzanine Level
- Silver Kriss Lounge - Location: North Wing (C11-17), Mezzanine Level
- Emirates Lounge - Location: East Wing (C21-C27), Mezzanine Level
- Dynasty Lounge - Location: South Wing (C31-37), Mezzanine Level
Free WiFi is available at KLIA Airport in the public areas. There is a 3 hour time limit. Connect to the "FREE_WIFI@KLIA" network.
If sleeping in the Kuala Lumpur Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Airside Transit Hotel - located inside the airport at Satellite A. Day rooms are available in 6 and 12 hour blocks.
- Sama-Sama Hotel (formerly called the Pan Pacific Hotel) - adjacent to airport terminal. You can check-in at Baggage Claim (Caroussel F). Day rooms are available for 3, 5 or 7 hour stays. Day spa packages are available (see more info below).
- Concorde Inn - 3 minutes from the airport. Free airport shuttle.
- Tune Hotel - located a 10 minute walk under covered walkway from the KLIA2. A 24 hour shuttle is available for RM2 per person.
- the youiQ Hotel- a budget friendly option near the airport. Airport transfer available for RM5.00 each way.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Kuala Lumpur Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Departures Hall, Arrivals Hall, Contact Pier of the Main Terminal Building, and the Satellite Building.
- Children's play area & Nurseries - The Children's Play room is located Airside, Main Terminal Building, Level 5. Nurseries are located in the Main Terminal Building, International and Domestic Contact Piers, and the Satellite Building.
- Currency Exchange - There are 8 foreign exchange offices located in the Departure Hall, Contact Pier, Arrivals and KLIA2.
- Family Services - Baby Care rooms are equipped with baby beds, a chair and wash basin. Locations: Main Terminal Building, Contact Piers and the Satellite Building.
- Food & Drinks - Many options available. At the moment, I do not know which (if any) concessions are open 24 hours.
- Gym - A gym is available at the Airside Transit Hotel. Rate: RM 30.00 per person includes towel, soap and shampoo
- Information Desk - There is a Visitor Service Center on the 3rd Floor, Main terminal Building, near the baggage reclaim area (hours: open 24 hours). Information Desks are also available in the Main Terminal Building (Departure and Arrivals Hall), Contact Pier and Satellite Building.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - The Baggage Storage office is open 24 hours. Location: Main Terminal Building, Departure Level, P2. Lockers can be found in ther Satellite Building, Passenger Level, P8.
- Observation Deck - Location: Landside, at the end of the Main Terminal Building past the food hall.
- Prayer and Silent Rooms -
A Silent room is available in the Main Terminal Building, Level 5, Departure Hall. Prayer rooms for Muslim visitors and travellers are located in three locations:
- Main Terminal Building (on all levels)
- Contact Pier: near the entrance to Gates B2-B10(international flights) and next to transfer counters (domestic flights)
- Satellite Building: at the Mezzanine Level, Gates C11-C17 and Gates C21-C27
- Reflexology & Massage Centre - Location: Lot SATP B1, Passenger Level, Satellite Building, KLIA (leading to gates C1-C5, next to smoking room). Hours: 7am - 12am. Rates: vary according to service.
- Showers - Showers are available at the Airside Transit Hotel. Rate: RM 20.00 per person includes towel, soap and shampoo. Free cold water showers are available on the 4th floor, past the eateries.
- Smoking Lounges - Locations: Contact Pier, Domestic Level, near Gate B2 and Satellite Building, Mezzanine Level, near Gate C11 and C31
- Spa - The Sama Sama Hotel has a day spa package for 60 ringgits (about $20US or €15). "It includes use of the outdoor pool, sauna, spa pools, fitness centre, lockers, showers and Free WiFi. You'll also get a stack of fluffy white towels and a pack of flashy toiletries - backpacker bliss." Thanks to Natalya for this tip!
- Trolleys - Available for free in the baggage reclaim area
- TV Lounges - Locations: airside and landside throughout the airport
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
- Car Rentals - Kasina Baru • Hertz • Pantas • Mayflower • Orix • Insas • Avis. Offices are located in the Main Terminal Building, Arrival Halls C and B
- Express Bus - A 24-hour express bus transports passengers from KLIA to Kuala Lumpur city center. Frequency: every 30 minutes. Travel Time: 1 hour. Fare: RM10 one-way/RM18 roundtrip.
- Public Transportation
Kuala Lumpur Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search Kuala Lumpur hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Kuala Lumpur Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 02 June 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.