Read more about this airport
Kuala Lumpur International Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kuala Lumpur Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Long cushioned benches were nice and we pushed a couple of these together in a more remote area to make a 'double bed' - lisadridenour
I've spent half a night and a day in KUL. I've arrived to the new low cost terminal and went to the main international building to sleep and wait for my flight out of the country. If you're after shopping/killing time, you're probably better off at the low cost terminal. I didn't spend much time there but it seemed like there were more shops in the 'landside' part. Not much going on in the main terminal. To get from the low cost to the 'main' terminal you can take the train: very fast and only 2 Ringgit, 0.6. The main terminal was good for sleeping: long, cushioned benches near the entrance/big window side on the 5th floor, but also scattered elsewhere. I can't confirm the availability of the better leather couches on the 4th floor (I've read about them in another review) because I didn't see them. I guess they might belong to the restaurant, and that was already open at 5am, so probably not a good place to sleep anyway. I can confirm the shower, though! Much welcome! As far as female showers are concerned, only one of the 2 toilets on the 4th floor has one (the other one's broken). Coming from the elevators and facing the restaurant, it's in the block of toilets on the left of the restaurant (you have to get into the airlines offices area, but that's fine, don't be shy :) ). It's cold water. but not freezing cold, we're at the tropics anyway :) Internet is not too fast but it's free. Altogether a very good experience!
Have you been to Kuala Lumpur Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Kuala Lumpur airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium offers 2 - 10 hours of free food, drinks, internet, massage chair, showers, free local calls, reading material, comfortable armchairs. Hours: open 24 hours.
- KLIA2 (Gateway@klia2) - Location: KLIA2, Airside, Level 2, International Departures Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR128) • Book Online (from £23.00) • Priority Pass.
- KLIA2 - Location: KLIA2, Airside, Level 3, International Departures. Hours: 7:00AM - 12:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR128) • Book Online (from £23.00) • Priority Pass.
- Satellite Building - Location: Airside, International Departures Building, near Gate C11-17. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR128) • Book Online (from £25.00) • Priority Pass.
- The Green Market - Location: KLIA 2, Landside, Departure Level. Hours: unknown. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
- Wellness Spa - Location: KLIA 2, Airside, Mezzanine Level, International Departures. Hours: unknown. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
- The Bar - Location: KLIA 2, Airside, Mezzanine Level, International Departures. Hours: unknown. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door .
Additionally they are airline lounges that require Elite Status/First or Business Class tickets for entry:
- MAS Golden Lounge - 3 Locations: West Wing (C1-C6), Mezzanine Level • Contact Pier Domestic • Contact Pier International.
- Royal Orchid Lounge - Location: North Wing (C11-17), Mezzanine Level
- Cathay Pacific Lounge - Location: East Wing (C21-C27), Mezzanine Level
- Silver Kriss Lounge - Location: North Wing (C11-17), Mezzanine Level
- Emirates Lounge - Location: East Wing (C21-C27), Mezzanine Level
- Dynasty Lounge - Location: South Wing (C31-37), Mezzanine Level
Free WiFi is available at KLIA Airport in the public areas. There is a 3 hour time limit. Connect to the "FREE_WIFI@KLIA" network.
If sleeping in the Kuala Lumpur Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Airside Transit Hotel - located inside the airport at Satellite A. Day rooms are available in 6 and 12 hour blocks.
- Sama-Sama Hotel (formerly called the Pan Pacific Hotel) - adjacent to airport terminal. You can check-in at Baggage Claim (Caroussel F). Day rooms are available for 3, 5 or 7 hour stays. Day spa packages are available (see more info below).
- Concorde Inn - 3 minutes from the airport. Free airport shuttle.
- Tune Hotel - located a 10 minute walk under covered walkway from the KLIA2. A 24 hour shuttle is available for RM2 per person.
- the youiQ Hotel- a budget friendly option near the airport. Airport transfer available for RM5.00 each way.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Kuala Lumpur Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Departures Hall, Arrivals Hall, Contact Pier of the Main Terminal Building, and the Satellite Building.
- Children's play area & Nurseries - The Children's Play room is located Airside, Main Terminal Building, Level 5. Nurseries are located in the Main Terminal Building, International and Domestic Contact Piers, and the Satellite Building.
- Currency Exchange - There are 8 foreign exchange offices located in the Departure Hall, Contact Pier, Arrivals and KLIA2.
- Family Services - Baby Care rooms are equipped with baby beds, a chair and wash basin. Locations: Main Terminal Building, Contact Piers and the Satellite Building.
- Food & Drinks - Many options available. At the moment, I do not know which (if any) concessions are open 24 hours.
- Gym - A gym is available at the Airside Transit Hotel. Rate: RM 30.00 per person includes towel, soap and shampoo
- Information Desk - There is a Visitor Service Center on the 3rd Floor, Main terminal Building, near the baggage reclaim area (hours: open 24 hours). Information Desks are also available in the Main Terminal Building (Departure and Arrivals Hall), Contact Pier and Satellite Building.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - The Baggage Storage office is open 24 hours. Location: Main Terminal Building, Departure Level, P2. Lockers can be found in ther Satellite Building, Passenger Level, P8.
- Mobile Charging - Information not available.
- Observation Deck - Location: Landside, at the end of the Main Terminal Building past the food hall.
- Prayer and Silent Rooms -
A Silent room is available in the Main Terminal Building, Level 5, Departure Hall. Prayer rooms for Muslim visitors and travellers are located in three locations:
- Main Terminal Building (on all levels)
- Contact Pier: near the entrance to Gates B2-B10(international flights) and next to transfer counters (domestic flights)
- Satellite Building: at the Mezzanine Level, Gates C11-C17 and Gates C21-C27
- Reflexology & Massage Centre - Location: Lot SATP B1, Passenger Level, Satellite Building, KLIA (leading to gates C1-C5, next to smoking room). Hours: 7am - 12am. Rates: vary according to service.
- Rest Zones - There is a designated rest area in KLIA2 that offers comfortable seating and a place to rest in between flights.
- Showers - Showers are available at the Airside Transit Hotel. Rate: RM 20.00 per person includes towel, soap and shampoo. Free cold water showers are available on the 4th floor, past the eateries.
- Smoking Lounges - Locations: Contact Pier, Domestic Level, near Gate B2 and Satellite Building, Mezzanine Level, near Gate C11 and C31
- Spa - The Sama Sama Hotel has a day spa package for 60 ringgits (about $20US or €15). "It includes use of the outdoor pool, sauna, spa pools, fitness centre, lockers, showers and Free WiFi. You'll also get a stack of fluffy white towels and a pack of flashy toiletries - backpacker bliss." Thanks to Natalya for this tip!
- Trolleys - Available for free in the baggage reclaim area
- TV Lounges - Locations: airside and landside throughout the airport
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
There are various providers of bus services and routes, at various costs and schedules to Kuala Lumpur Central and beyond.
One example is the Airport Coach Shuttle which runs every 30 minutes, 365 days a year. The first bus leaves the airport at 5.30am and the last service is 12.30am. Travel time is one hour and a return ticket costs RM18.
Travellers have a choice of four types of taxis which are operated by Airport Limo and are operated through a coupon system you buy at their counters in either the arrival hall, at the Main Terminal Building; the domestic arrival hall or domestic baggage reclaim area.
At level 1 and 3 of the Main Terminal Building, metered taxis offer an alternative. Passengers have to buy RM2 coupon prior to boarding these taxis.
Express Rail Link
ERL is available on the KLIA Ekspres and the KLIA Transit lines, connecting the airport to the city centre, stopping at the KL City Air Terminal (KL CAT) in KL Sentral.
KLIA Ekspres: is the fastest route to the city, taking only 28 minutes. A one-way fare for an adult is RM35, or RM70 for a return journey.
KLIA Transit: has three stops at Bandar Tasik Selatan, Putrajaya & Cyberjaya and Salak Tinggi. It departs every 15 minutes during peak hours, every 20 minutes during off-peak hours and every 30 minutes after midnight. Every trip from KLIA to KL Sentral, and vice versa, takes about 28 minutes.
There are a host of brand name care rental companies available, with booths in the main arrivals hall.
Kuala Lumpur Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search Kuala Lumpur hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Kuala Lumpur Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 02 June 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.