Kuala Lumpur International Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kuala Lumpur Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Long cushioned benches were nice and we pushed a couple of these together in a more remote area to make a 'double bed' - lisadridenour
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Kuala Lumpur Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport is large and consists of: the main terminal and contact pier, Satellite terminal A, and KLIA 2 (a low-cost carrier terminal).
- As a major world hub, KLIA is large and very busy and generally sleep-friendly.
- This is very busy, but modern airport. Most travellers report good amenities and decently clean facilities.
- Travellers report feeling safe here, with airport staff generally not minding the many overnight guests.
- Many eateries are open 24-hours.
- Areas of the airport terminals are cold, so bring a sweater and blanket to stay warm.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overall there’s plenty of chairs and benches, but they fill up quickly with so many travellers around.
- Many travellers recommend avoiding KLIA2 overnight, if possible - the main terminals have more options.
- The food court on the 2nd floor is pretty quiet, many travellers try to sleep here.
- At KLIA2, the arrivals hall has two sections partitioned off by glass walls - go here for a quieter, carpeted area.
- Plenty of carpeted spaces overall
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel and sleep pods inside the airport and several hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available for a fee. See Showers in the airport guide below for locations and hours.
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to many airport lounges, and several have showers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Kuala Lumpur Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Kuala Lumpur airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: International Departures Building, Airside, near Gate C11-17. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR128) • Buy a lounge pass (£25.00 - up to 3 hours or £35 - up to 6 hours)
- Sama-Sama Express Lounge - Location: International Departures Building, Airside, next to Gate C5. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR45).
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: Gateway at KLIA2, Landside, near the Food Court. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Buy a lounge pass ($39 - up to 3 hours or $54- up to 6 hours)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: KLIA2, Airside, Level 2, International Departures Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 12:00AM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR128) • Buy a lounge pass (£23.00 - up to 3 hours or £35 - up to 6 hours)
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: KLIA2, Airside, Level 3, International Departures. Hours: 7:00AM - 12:00AM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR128) • Buy a lounge pass (£23.00 - up to 3 hours or £35 - up to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Sama-Sama Express Lounge - Location: KLIA2, Airside, Level 3, International Departures. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from MYR108.00).
Free WiFi is available at KLIA Airport for up to 3 hours at a time. Connect to the "FREE_WIFI@KLIA" network. No registration required. If you don’t have your own mobile device, you can access the internet, free of charge, from the internet kiosks located in the Satellite Building.
If sleeping in Kuala Lumpur Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- SnoozeKL - If you are a transit passenger looking to nap for a few hours, SnoozeKL offers 13 rooms (approx. 3m x 1.5m) with bunk beds. Rooms come equipped with WiFi, Alarm Clock, and Mobile Charging. You can rent by the hour, a minimum of 3 hours applies and rates started at $16.00 USD (for first 3 hours and $6.00 USD each hour thereafter. Location: International Contact Pier, Airside, near Gates G8.
- Sama-Sama Express KLIA - Located inside the airport at Satellite A Building near Gate C5. This hotel is only for travellers who are transiting between flights. Do not clear Malaysian Immigration and Customs after your arriving flight. Boarding pass is required at check-in. Day rooms are available on an hourly basis with a 6 hour minimum, prices starting at RM 265.00.
- Sama-Sama Express KLIA2 - Located inside the klia2 Satellite Building, Level 3. The hotel is available only to passengers transiting from one international flight to another. Do not clear Malaysian Immigration and Customs after your arriving flight. Guests arriving from KLIA main terminal or Domestic are required to check in their bags and present boarding pass for next flight (must be international flight) before being allowed into the klia2 Satellite Building. Rooms must be booked for a minimum of 6 hours and rates start at RM 180.00.
- Sama-Sama Hotel (formerly called the Pan Pacific Hotel) - This hotel is connected to the main terminal via covered sky bridge. It’s a 5 minute walk from the Arrivals Hall, or you can get there in 2 minutes with the hotel’s free buggy ride (operates 24/7). You can even check in right at the baggage area (Carousel F) from 7:00AM to 11:00PM. Day rooms are available for 3, 5 or 7 hour stays. Day spa packages are available.
- Capsule by Container Hotel - (10-15 minute walk from KLIA2 Arrivals Hall) Malaysia's first capsule hotel is located in the Transportation Hub at KLIA2. The hotel has male, female and mixed capsules; showers; a bar; a common area/lounge and locker rentals. If you are arriving at KLIA, you would need to take the Express train to the KLIA2 Station (RM 2.00). Pods are booked on 6, 9 or 12 hour intervals and rates start at RM 80.
- Tune Hotel - The budget hotel is connected to KLIA2 via covered walkway, and is a 10 minute walk from Arrivals Hall. KLIA Ekspres brings passengers to and from KLIA in 3 minutes.
- the youniQ Hotel- (15 min from KLIA) A budget-friendly option near the airport. Airport transfers available for RM5.30 per person, each way, which includes 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag, above that you pay RM10.60 per checked bag and RM5.30 per carry-on size. Airport pick-up is per hotel schedule and must be requested at least 48 hours in advance.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near KLIA Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Main Terminal Building (Departures Hall, Arrivals Hall and Contact Pier) • Satellite Building.
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby Care Rooms are equipped with a baby bed, changing table, chair and wash basin. Locations: Main Terminal Building • both Contact Piers • Satellite Building.
- Baggage Trolleys - Located in convenient areas throughout the airport. Rate: free.
- Banking - CIMB Bank offers full-service banking in the airport. A self-service foreign currency exchange is available. Location: Main Terminal, Departures Level Hours: 7:30AM - 10:30PM daily.
- Business Centre - Printing, faxing, photocopies and a limited variety of business services are available.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - Kids Zone Location: Main Terminal, Level 5 • klia2, airside, International Departure Satellite, Level 2, near Elle Cafe.
- Currency Exchange - Nine foreign exchange counters are available in the airport. Locations: Main Terminal Building • Contact Pier • Satellite Building.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available, as well as a wide variety of retail shops.
- Food & Drinks - Many food options are available. At the time of this update, we do not know if any restaurants are open 24 hours. However there are a few convenience stores that are open 24 hours • KK Supermart (Main Building Level 3, Landside, beside Baggage Drop S - T) • 7-Eleven (Main Building, Arrivals, Level 3, near Customs) • 7-Eleven (Domestic Building, Pier Q, Level 1A).
- Gym - A gym is available at the Sama Sama Express Hotel. Rate: RM 30.00 per person includes towel, soap and shampoo
- Information Desk - Locations: Main Terminal, Level 5 • Satellite Building, International Arrivals • Satellite Building, International Departure / Arrival • Contact Pier, International Departure / Arrival. The Malaysia Visitor’s Centre is open 24 hours a day. Location: Main Terminal, 3rd Floor.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Enjoy a hands-free layover by storing your luggage at Baggage Solution! Storage room rates are per bag/per 24-hour period, from RM19.00 - RM51.00, depending on size. Oversized items are accepted. Discounts available for items stored longer than 7 days. Medium and large lockers are available for RM40.00 - RM51.00 per locker/per 24-hour period. Location: Main Terminal, Level 3, Arrival Hall • klia2, landside, Level 2, Arrival Level Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping - Protect your valuables! Get your luggage wrapped in the airport, and for additional protection, secure your luggage with a disposable strap by Super Strap. Both services are available in the Main Terminal Departures Hall (landside).
- Medical Services -Menara Medical Group offers urgent and emergency medical care. Location: Main Terminal, Level 5, Departure Hall Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging - Mobile Charging is available, but not plentiful. You may need to search hard for it. Exact locations are unknown.
- Movie Lounge - Enjoy free movies in a comfortable setting. Location: klia2, airside, International Departure Satellite, Level 2, near Chocolatte Bar.
- Observation Deck - Location: Landside, at the end of the Main Terminal Building past the food hall.
- Pharmacy - Pusrawi Health Pro Shoppe (Location: Main Terminal, Level 5) • Guardian (Location: Satellite Building, Level 1, West Zone) Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM
- Post Office - Location: Main Terminal, landside. Hours: 8:30AM - 5:00PM (Mon - Sat).
- Prayer and Silent Rooms -
A Silent room is available in the Main Terminal Building, Level 5, Departure Hall. Prayer rooms for Muslim visitors and travellers are located in three locations:
- Main Terminal Building (on all levels)
- Contact Pier: near the entrance to Gates B2-B10(international flights) and next to transfer counters (domestic flights)
- Satellite Building: at the Mezzanine Level, Gates C11-C17 and Gates C21-C27
- Reflexology & Massage Centre - Location: Lot SATP B1, Passenger Level, Satellite Building, KLIA (leading to gates C1-C5, next to smoking room). Hours: 7:00AM - 1:00AM Mon-Sat (closes at 12:00AM on Sundays) Rates: vary according to service.
- Rest Zones - Rest N Go offers a little oasis of rest and relaxation in the middle of the Main Terminal. Comfortable massage chairs await! Location: Main Terminal, landside, opposite the Air Asia ticket counter
- Showers - Showers are available at the Sama-Sama Express. Rate: RM 42.00 per person includes towel, soap and shampoo. Free cold water showers are available on the 4th floor, past the eateries.
- Smoking Lounges - Locations: Contact Pier, Domestic Level, near Gate B2 • Satellite Building, Mezzanine Level, near Gate C11 and C31
- Spa - Massage and a range of hair and beauty treatments are available at Wellness Salon. Location: Satellite Building, Mezzanine, Level 2, East Zone, opposite Emirates Lounge • Wellness Spa Location: klia2, International Departure, Level 3, near Popeye’s Chicken • Wellness Spa Location: Satellite Building, Mezzanine, Level 2, East Zone, opposite the prayer room.
- Telecommunications - Access the internet, make phone calls, reload prepaid phone cards and more for a free using the Multimedia Phone Kiosks located in the Satellite Building. Cash, coins and credit cards are accepted.
- TV Lounges - Locations: airside and landside throughout the airport
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following car rental agencies can be found in the Arrivals Hall of KLIA: Avis (counter C6), Hertz (counter B10), Insas Pacific (counter C4), Kasina Baru (counter B16), Mayflower (counter C1), Orix (counter C2) and Pantas (Lot CR17, Block D, car park).
- Express Coach is an express bus service that runs between KLIA and KL Sentral railway station. Buses depart every 30 minutes and take about an hour of travel time. One-way fares are RM10.00 for adults (RM6.00 for children) and roundtrip fares are RM18.00 for adults (RM10.00 for children). Hours of operation are 5:00AM - 12:00AM (from KL Sentral) and 6:30AM - 12:30AM (from KLIA).
- Airport Liner bus service runs between KLIA and klia2 or Nilai. Travel time between KLIA and klia2 is 30 minutes, and travel time between KLIA and Nilai is 45 minutes. A one-way fare costs RM3.00 for adults and RM1.00 for children.
- City Liner service provides a transfer between KLIA and klia2 at RM1.50 for an adult one-way fare, or service to/from Banting for RM3.50 for an adult one-way fare.
- Airport Coach provides scheduled service between KLIA, klia2, Muar and Batu Pahat.
- Sepang Omnibus has routes that travel between KLIA and Banting, Nilai or Bukit Changgang.
- Star Shuttle provides service along different routes from KLIA to KL Sentral, hotels at KL Town Centre and several other local cities and destinations.
Travellers have a choice of four different types of taxis and limousines: Budget Taxi (economy taxi for up to 4 passengers), Premier Limo (upgraded vehicles for up to 5 passengers), Super Luxury (Jaguar Type-S taxis for up to 3 passengers) and Family Service (via Kia Pregio van for up to 8 passengers). Passengers need to purchase a coupon at the Airport Limo counters located in International Arrival Hall (after Customs but before the public Arrival area), Domestic Arrival Hall (the public area after Domestic Baggage Clearance) and Domestic Baggage Reclaim on Arrivals Level.
Metered taxis are also available at Levels 1 and 3 of the main terminal building. A RM2.00 coupon is required in order to board one of these taxis. Budget and Executive taxis are available, and rides between the hours of 12:00AM - 6:00AM incur a 50% surcharge.
KLIA is served by two train lines. The KLIA Ekspres is a comfortable, modern and wheelchair-friendly express service that transports passengers between KLIA and KL Sentral railway station in just 28 minutes. Adult fares are RM55.00 (one-way) and RM100.00 (roundtrip - one month validity), with discounted fares available for children under 12. KLIA Transit is a commuter service that makes three stops on its route between KLIA and KL Sentral. Trains depart every 15 minutes during peak times. For more information on either of these train services, visit the KLIA Ekspres web site.
User Tip: You can get 10% discount if you use their app or the self service kiosks rather than the counter. And a further 10% for using Mastercard (which we found out by accident when we used ours to pay - it doesn't seem to be advertised anywhere!). Also, if you want to use the baggage drop off at Sentral, you have to buy the Ekspres tickets first as there's a barrier you need to scan it against to get into the baggage drop off bit.
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.