Kualanamu Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kualanamu Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
[Has] some mosquitoes so it is good idea to have some protection somehow.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kualanamu International Airport.
What to Expect
- A bright, spacious, and modern single-terminal international airport with stunning exterior and interior design that reflect the local Batak tribe. A wide variety of shops, restaurants, and services are available.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Tons of mosquitoes inside and outside the terminal, so wear mosquito repellent to keep them at bay!
- Believe it or not, this airport is currently the most popular hangout spot for locals, causing terrible traffic between the airport and Medan. Leave early to allow yourself plenty of time to get to the airport. One reviewer suggests leaving five hours before your flight!
- Mixed reviews on the temperature inside of the terminal, with some complaining of the heat and others claiming the air-conditioner makes the terminal too cold.
- Have enough local currency on hand to pay for the airport departure fee. The fee increases if you pay with USD or other accepted foreign currencies.
Where to Sleep
- A few couches are available in the Ticketing Office area. Otherwise, there is plenty of empty floor space, so have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy for added comfort.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Kualanamu Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Saphire BlueSky Executive Lounge (Domestic) - Location: Airside, Domestic Boarding Area, 1st Floor. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Saphire BlueSky Executive Lounge (Interational) - Location: Airside, International Boarding Area, 1st Floor. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM.
Free, unlimited WiFi is available at the airport, connect to the “firstname.lastname@example.org” network.
If sleeping in Kualanamu Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- The Crew Hotel KNO - (5 min from the airport) Reviews are mixed on this brand new hotel, but it’s the closest hotel to the airport. Reviews speak to a free airport shuttle which runs every hour to/from the airport.
- Miyana Hotel - (30 min from the airport) Roundtrip airport shuttle is available on request (call +62 61 800 33 999), IDR.200.000 each way.
- Swiss-Belinn Medan - (45 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available upon request (email), Rp.300.000/car (max 3 persons) each way.
- Permata Inn - (45 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available upon request. RP.180.000/car/each way (may 4 persons) between hours of 6:00AM - 9:00PM, outside these hours a charge of RP.200.000/car/each way applies.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kualanamu Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, there are 9 machines available both landside and airside.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Yes, available at 2 locations in the airport.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: A&W • Bakso Malang • Bangi Kopi Tiang • Serambi Deli • Toko Edwin. Alfa Mart and Indo Mart mini markets are also open 24 hours.
- Prayer Room - Yes, available in Departure Terminal at 2nd Floor, Peer, and Arrival Terminal at 1st Floor.
- Shopping - There are variety of shops available including 2 mini-markets.
- Spa - Head to the Batik Spa to enjoy some relaxing services.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Buses and Trains
Public buses and trains are cheap and depart to/from the airport every 30-60 minutes, from early morning until approximately 11pm. With different routes, check the airport website for timetables and costs for bus and train services.
Several car rental and private car hire companies are available, including ASSA Rent, Golden Bird, KSU Sena, TRAC, and Wisata Armada.
Taxis are available.
Last Updated: 12 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.