Sapporo Chitose Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Sapporo Chitose Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Once all the passengers were settled in the room, the airport staff dimmed the lights and I was able to get a decent night's sleep. - Joe
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at New Chitose Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern international airport with two separate terminals: a larger, semicircle terminal used for international flights and a smaller terminal for domestic flights. A wide variety of shops, restaurants and services are available to keep you well-fed and entertained!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted in this airport. In cases of weather-related flight cancellation, the airport has reluctantly permitted overnight stays on the floor of the conference room, but otherwise, don’t plan to spend the night here.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Sapporo Chitose Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can pay to enter these lounges at Sapporo Chitose airport.
- New Chitose Airport Onsen - Location: Domestic Terminal, 4F. Lounge Access: 1,500 yen.
- Super Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, 3F, Airside. Lounge Access: 1080 yen
- Royal Lounge - Location: International Terminal, 4F, Airside. Lounge Access: 1080 yen
Free WiFi is available at Sapporo Chitose Airport. Connect to the "NewChitose_Airport_Free_Wi_Fi" network. To connect you will need to provide your email address.
Additionally, there are 3 free "Internet Corners" in the International Terminal that provide a desk and chair for travellers to use their laptops. Locations: 2F, 3F, 4F. Hours: 6:30AM - 10:30PM. Rates: free of charge. In the Domestic Terminal, there are 2 Internet Lounges, where users without laptops can pay to use the computers. Locations: 3F and 4F. Hours: 10:00AM - 8:00PM. Rate: 100yen/10 minutes.
If sleeping in Sapporo Chitose Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- New Chitose Airport Onsen - A budget hotel with Japanese-style hot springs...in the airport! Located on the top of the domestic terminal, building 4F, there are 11 guest rooms available for overnight stay (from 5:00PM to 9:00AM, but guests can use facilities before check-in). Rates start at 5,000 yen and include breakfast and “deep night” fee.
- Air Terminal Hotel - Located airside on the east end of the 3rd floor of the domestic terminal buildings 1F and 2F, near the boarding gates of Skymark Airlines. Guests can easily walk to international terminal through the main hallway that separates domestic and international terminals.
- Hotel Grand Terrace Chitose - (10 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. Shuttle runs from the airport (wait at Rotary Square, West Exit, post office headquarters side) between 4:00PM - 9:00PM. Shuttle runs rom the hotel to the airport every hour between 6:30AM - 11:30AM and every 1.5 hours between 5:00PM and 11:00PM.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Chitose Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art Displays - Locations: Domestic 1F • International 1F, 2F, 3F • Connecting Path 2F.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, thoughout the Domestic and International Terminals.
- Business Services - If you need to print a document or send a last-minute fax before your flight, there is a Business Center in the Domestic Terminal, 4F. Hours: unknown.Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - There are 5 currency exchange counters. Locations: International Terminal (Arrival Lobby, Departure Lobby and Gates) • Domestic Terminal (2 locations 1F).
- Dressing Room - Location: Domestic 1F (hours: 6:20AM - 11:00PM) • International 2F and 3F (hours: 7:00AM - 10:30PM).
- Family Services - If you are travelling with small children, the airport offers strollers free of charge. Locations: Domestic Terminal, 2F • International Terminal, 2F • International 3F. Arrival Lobby and 3F Departure Lobby.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there are no food and beverage concessions open 24 hours.
- Information Desk - There are 7 Information desks located throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - There is a luggage storage room located at JAL Arrival Gate B. Rates: from 305 yen (small) - 820 yen (large). Locations: Domestic Terminal, 1F (Hours: 7:30AM - 8:00PM) • International Terminal, 2F (Hours: 8:30AM - 5:30PM. On Wed, Fri & Sat the facility is open until 9:00PM) • International Terminal, 3F (Hours: 7:30AM - 7:00PM. On Wed, Fri & Sat, the facility is open until 9:00PM). Additionally, you can find coin-operated lockers in the following areas: Domestic, 1st Floor • Domestic, 2nd Floor • Domestic 3rd Floor • Domestic, 4th Floor • International, 2nd Floor • International, 3rd Floor • International, 4th Floor. Rate: from 300 yen. Maximum period of use: 3 days. Use the Temporary Baggage Storage for longer storage time.
- Mobile Charging - Locations: Domestic Terminal, 2F and 4F. Hours: 10:00AM - 8:00PM. Rates: 100 yen/30 minutes.
- Movie Theater - This is Japan's first airport movie theater. The cinema has 3 screens and 3D capability. Location: Domestic Terminal 4F. Hours: 9:00AM - 12:00AM. Rate: 1700 yen (adult) and 1400 yen (middle school - college students), 1000 yen (children to junior middle school and seniors),.
- Museum - The Chitose Sky Museum displays aviation related models and memorabilia. Location: International 2F, Landside.
- Observation Deck - Location: Domestic 3F and 4F. The entrance is on the 3rd floor of the food court. Hours: 8:00AM - 6:00PM (June to September) and 9:00AM - 5:00PM (April, May, October and November)
- Police - Location: Domestic 1F (hours: open 24 hours.) • International 2F (hours: 8:30AM - 7:00PM).
- Post Office - Location: Domestic Terminal, 2F • Domestic Terminal, 1F • Connecting Path, 2F. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM.
- Prayer Room - Location: International Terminal, 2F. Hours: unknown
- Spa - The New Chitose Airport Onsen offers baths, resting facilities, sauna, massage and beauty treatments as well as a dining facilities. There are two public baths (indoor and outdoor) that are fed by the nearby hotspring. De-stress with a massage, foot rub or facial. If you prefer to rest, there are comfortable loungers with individual TVs and a limited number of private rooms if you are looking for a deep sleep. Hours: Open 23 hours - it is closed between 9:00AM -10:00AM.
According the airport's web site, the airport terminals are open during the following hours:
- Domestic Terminal Building - Hours: 6:20AM - 11:00PM.
- International Terminal Building - Hours: 6:30AM - 10:30PM.
- Connecting Path - Hours: 6:20AM - 11:00PM.
The airport is served by a large number of airport limousine buses and fixed route buses. Bus stands are located on the 1st floors (1F) of the Domestic Terminal and the International Terminals. Airport limousine buses can be taken to destinations such as Downtown Sapporo, Maruyama Bus Terminal, Oyachi and Jozankei Onsen. Fixed route buses travel to destinations such as Downtown Chitose, Tomakomai, Noboribetsu Onsen, and also include “ski buses” that travel to Niseko, Rusutsu and Yubari during winter ski season.
Here is a list of some popular destination and their respective bus fares, which were current at the time of this update: Downtown Sapporo hotels/Susukino ¥1,030 (via Hokkaido Chuo Bus); Sapporo Train Station/Odori/Susukino ¥1,030 (via Hokuto Kotsu Bus); Nakajima Koen ¥1,030; Downtown Tomakomai ¥620 (via Donan Bus); Downtown Muroran ¥1,570; Urakawa ¥2,620; and Hobetsu ¥1,510.
The Car Rentals counter is located on the 1st floor of the Domestic Terminal. The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Budget, Hokkaido BUBU, Honda, J-Net, JR Station Rent-A-Car, Nippon, Nissan, ORIX, OTS, Sky, Times, Toyota Rental & Leasing (Poplar and Suzuran branches). Hours of operation vary, with a majority of agencies open from 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
Two taxi stands are located outside of the Domestic Terminal, and an additional taxi stand is located outside of the International Terminal. Sightseeing and jumbo taxis can be hired at the information desk in the Arrivals Hall.
New Chitose Airport Station, the airport’s train station along the JR rail line, is connected to the 1st basement floor B1F) of the Domestic Terminal. The Rapid Airport Express offers fast transportation to and from Sapporo, with departures every 15 minutes. The first Rapid Airport Express departs Sapporo for the airport at 6:15AM, with the last departure at 8:45PM. The first departure from the airport to Sapporo is 8:16AM, with the last departure at 8:53PM. Total one-way trip time is 36 minutes, and at the time of this update, a one-way ticket is ¥1,070 (half-price for children). There is an additional fee of ¥310 if you want a reserved seat. Tickets and rechargeable smart cards (Kitaka, Suika and PASMO) can be purchased at ticket vending machines in the train station.
Local trains also bring passengers to and from Sapporo, although not as fast. Sapporo Chitose Airport is also served by trains traveling to and from main cities in Hokkaido such as Abashiri, Asahikawa, Hakodate, Higashi Muroran, Kushiro, Obihiro and Tomakomai.
Last Updated: 21 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.