Tokyo Narita Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Tokyo Narita Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
After reading this website I was fully prepared for the police to round up everyone....At 10:30pm an officer come and took me to an area of benches in first floor arrivals with ten other people. The police officers even made sure we had benches without armrests. - LoneTree
I've spent the last two days in Narita Airport. I didn't sleep here.
I like how clean Narita is, and how easy it is to find a place to hang out. The bench seating is set up so that some rows will have a nice line of armrest-free seats and others will not.
This might be the only time in my life where I spend 13 on a shower and consider it totally worthwhile. The showers are located by exit S3 and you can rent a single room or double room (both include a shower) or you can just get 30 minutes with a shower for the aforementioned 13. Soap, towels, washcloths, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, 'napkins', shower cap, and body lotion are all provided. And you get 30 minutes absolutely alone, which is at least as refreshing as a shower.
If you're looking to catch a nap and want to spread out a bit there's a bunch of flat couch-like things across from the showers. They're great if you can snag a comfy one.
I've had trouble with the NRT-AIRPORT WiFi network and recommend searching out the narita-airport-free-wifi signal. If you turn left immediately after entering the airside area, you'll see a wall with 3 outlets on it. You can get a great signal right there (it's where I'm writing this review from) and charge all your gadgets at the same time.
Have you been to Tokyo Narita Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are a few pay-per-use lounges in each terminal.
- TEI Lounge - Terminal 1, Landside, 5th Floor, between the North and South Wings. Hours: 7am - 9pm.
- Business & Travel Support Center - Terminal 1, Airside, Central Building, 5th floor. Hours: 7am-9pm.
- IASS Executive Lounge - Terminal 1, Landside, Central Building, 5th floor. Hours: 7am-9pm. Lounge Access: £22.00 per person (online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- TEI Lounge - Terminal 2, Landside, Main Building 4th Floor. Hours: 7am-9pm.
- IASS Executive Lounge - Terminal 2, Landside, Main Building 4th Floor. Hours: 7am-9pm. Lounge Access: £22.00 per person (online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
Additionally, there are Airline Lounges in both terminals. Check your airline for entry requirements. In Terminal 1, you will find these airline lounges:
- The Clubhouse - Location: Central Building, 3rd Floor
- Air France Lounge - Location: No.1 Satellite, 4th Floor (entrance on 3rd floor)
- ANA Lounge - 3 Locations: South Wing, 1st Floor (international arrivals, domestic departures) • No.4 Satellite, 2nd Floor (entrance on 3rd floor) • No.5 Satellite, 4th Floor (entrance on the 3rd floor)
- ANA Suite Lounge - 2 Location: No.4 Satellite, 4th Floor (entrance on 3rd floor) • No.5 Satellite, 4th Floor (entrance on 3rd floor)
- Korean Air Lounge - Location: Satellite 2, Airside, Central Building, 3rd Floor, near Gate 26
- Delta Sky Club - 2 Locations: No.1 Satellite, 4th Floor, (entrance on 3rd floor) • No.2 Satellite, 4th Floor, Concourse B, above Gate 15 (entrance on 3rd floor). Day passes are available.
- United Club - Location: Airside, Satellite 3, gate 31. Hours: 730am - 730pm. Lounge Access: Day passes are available for US$ 50 per person.
and airline lounges in Terminal 2:
- Admirals Club - Location: Main Building, 2nd Floor (entrance on 3rd floor). Day passes are available.
- Qantas Business Lounge - Location: Satellite Building, 2nd Floor (entrance on 3rd floor)
- Cathay Pacific First and Business Lounge - Location: Main Building, 4th Floor (entrance on 3rd floor)
- Dynasty Lounge - Location: Main Building, 2nd Floor (entrance on 3rd floor)
- Sakura Lounge - 2 Locations: Domestic Terminal, 3rd Floor (entrance from 2nd floor) • Main Building, 2nd Floor (entrance on 3rd floor) • Satellite Bldg., 2nd Floor (entrance on 3rd floor)
- JAL First Class Lounge - 2 Locations: Main Building, 3rd Floor • Satellite Building, 3rd Floor
Free WiFi is available at Tokyo Narita Airport. Connect to the "narita-airport-free-wifi" network.
Additionally there are coin-operated internet kiosks available at various locations throughout the terminals.
If sleeping in the Narita Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels within 10 minutes of the airport....
- Nine Hours Narita Airport - Capsule sleep pods are located at Terminal 2, near the car park. Shower and two hour nap packages are available.
- Narita Airport Rest House - 5 minute drive from the airport. Free shuttle departs every 20 minutes. Day rooms available.
- Richmond Hotel - free airport shuttle departs from the Terminal 1 and Terminals 2 bus stops. Hours: 615am - 215pm.
- Hilton Tokyo Airport - free airport shuttle
Day rooms with showers are available on an hourly basis. Rates: 1,500 yen per hour (Single) and 2,400 yen per hour. Includes: towels, shampoo, soap, hair dryer.
Terminal 1: Airside, Central Building, 3rd Floor, (Hours: 7am-9pm).
Terminal 2: Airside, Main Building, 3rd Floor (Hours: 7am-930pm).
Hostels and Budget Hotels near the airport: Narita Airport Hostel
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Narita Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
photo source: a SleepingInAirports reader
- ATMs / Cash Machines -
»Terminal 1: 16 ATMs are located landside (Hours: 6am-11pm) • 2 ATMs are located airside (Hours: 7am-10pm)
»Terminal 2: 13 ATMs are located landside (Hours: 6am-11pm) and 1 ATM is located airside (Hours: 7am-10pm)
- Car Rentals - Mazda • Nippon • Nissan • Toyota • and more. Bus Stop Locations: Terminal 1 (Central Building, 1st Floor, Arrivals • North Wing, 1st Floor, Arrivals) and Terminal 2 (Main Building, 1st Floor, Arrivals)
- Changing Rooms - If you have arrived from a trans-Pacific flight and would like to change into some fresh clothes, the airport has change rooms. Locations: Terminal 1, 4th Floor Departures • Terminal 1, 3rd Floor Departures • 1st Floor Departures • Terminal 2, Main Building, 3rd Floor, Departures • Terminal 2, Main Building, 1st Floor, Arrivals.
- Children's Play Areas - Terminal 1: Airside, 3rd Floor • Terminal 2: Airside, Main Building, 2nd Floor
- Cultural Activities - Special cultural activities are held throughout the year at special times. You will have to check with the information desk if there are any activities on the day that you are inside the terminal. During these activities you can become familiar with Japanese culture by participating in a hands-on Kokeshi and Origami making session. Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 5th Avenue. Traditional armour wearing and print making activities are held before security. Location: Terminal 2, Skyrium.
- Currency Exchange - There are many foreign exchange offices located airside and landside in both terminals. Hours: vary (none are open 24 hours).
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour food and beverage concessions available at this airport.
- Information Desk - There are eight Information Desks available: four desks at Terminal 1 and four desks at Terminal 2. Hours: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers -
» Terminal 1: GPA - Landside, North Wing, 1st Floor, Arrivals (Hours: 7am-10pm) • South Wing, 1st Floor, Arrivals (Hours: 630am - 10pm).
»Terminal 2: Narita International Airport Promotion Foundation - Landside, Main Building, 3rd Floor Departures (Hours: 7am-10pm) • GPA - Landside, Main Building, 1st Floor Arrivals (Hours: 630am-10pm) • JAL ABC Inc - Landside, Main Building, 1st Floor, Arrivals (Hours: 7am-10pm). Rates: 300, 500 or 800 yen per item per day depending on size; same rate each day thereafter. A standard-sized suitcase is charged at 500 yen per day.
Additionally, you can find lockers in the following areas:
»Terminal 1: Landside, North Wing, 4th Floor, Departures • South Wing, 4th Floor, Departures • Central Building, 1st Floor, Arrivals
»Terminal 2: Landside, Main Building, 3rd Floor, Departures
Rates: 300, 400 or 500 yen per day
- Observation Deck - Location: Terminal 1, Central Building, 5F and Terminal 2, Main Building,4F
- Oxygen Bar - Oxygen Lounge JUKO: Terminal 1, Airside, Central Building, 3rd Floor (Hours: 11am-800pm). Rates: 600 yen (10 minutes)
- Pet Hotel - For locals who need a place to leave their pets while they travel, there is a pet hotel at the airport. The Pet Inn Royal is located in the basement of the Terminal 2 Carpark. Hours: open 24 hours
- Portable DVD Rental - If you forgot yours at home, you can rent them at TSUTAYA. Location: South Wing, 4th Floor, Departures. Hours: 7am - 9pm. They can be dropped off at SKY Cellular (landside)
- Showers - Locations:
Terminal 1, Airside, Central Building, 3rd Floor (Hours: 7am-9pm) • Terminal 1, Landside, South Wing, 2nd Floor (Hours: 7am-9pm)• Terminal 2, Airside, Main Building, 3rd Floor (Hours: 7am-930pm) • Terminal 2, Landside, Main Building, Basement, 1st Floor (Hours: 7am-9pm). Rates: 1,000 yen for 30 minutes. 500 yen each 15 minutes after. Shampoo, body soap, towels and hair dryers are provided.
- Silence Room - There are two Silence rooms that are Intended for peace and tranquility for quiet time, meditation, or prayer. Locations: Terminal 1, 5th Floor. Hours: 6am - 11pm • Terminal 2, Main Building, 1st Floor. Hours: 6am - 11pm.
- Smoking - There are 14 designated smoking areas in Terminal 1 and 19 areas in Terminal 2.
Airport Sleeping Policy
Sleeping in airports is generally frowned upon in all Japanese airports. While the terminal is open, you will likely be approached by a security officer who will ask to see your travel documents. This is from the Narita Airport web site: "Aircraft operating hours is between 6:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.. Customers are not permitted to remain in the passenger terminals outside aircraft operating hours. However, under special circumstances, for example when an aircraft arrives after public transport stops operating, customers may be allowed to sleep in designated areas. Moreover, customers catching early morning flights are advised to use nearby hotels and accommodations around the airport."
Open 24 hours.
- If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, submit a question on our Facebook Page.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Tokyo Narita Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Tokyo Travel Resources
- Tokyo Hotels - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 09 June 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.