About This Airport:
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Amsterdam Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Go to the Schengen Terminal, then move to the Holland Boulevard and upstairs (just above the museum/library) at the left there are around 100 leather sofa sleepers. Sort of reclined (nearly fully!) seats. Very comfortable. And 100 quiet. Recommended! - Quadur
by holdfast [ submit a photo ]
I had a flight out of Eindhoven airport the next day and knowing Eindhoven closes at night I decided to spend the night in Schiphol. Most stuff in the airport, such as comfort chairs are pass security. There are loads of people staying the night in this airport so you won't be alone. They have a cheap hotdog stand near the trains and also have a huge suppermarket that opens at 6am which I used for breakfast. I found a comfy leather chair outside a cafe at the end of Departure 3, near the wall. There is also a Starbucks with comfy chairs that you can sleep in located in Arrival 4, just under Departure 3. Even though I did not have a flight out of this Airport the next day and had my reason ready for security I didn't need it. Your allowed to lay down in this airport until 5am when the security will start to go around and tell you your not allowed to sleep anymore because 'the stores open now, but you can move to the black chairs to sleep'. I would highly recommend sleeping in this airport, and if you have a sleeping bag just look for a quit place and you'll be fine.
Oh and if your going to Eindhoven they have regular trains every 30 min for 18,50 and it takes about 1.5hrs
Also, free wifi for 1 hr in plaza, train area and also plugs in this area too...and you can also pick up an airport map at info
The last review for this airport was in 2012. Have you been there recently? Tell us about it!
- Menzies Lounge 21 - Location: Terminal 1 (Schengen). Hours: 0600-2030
- Servisair Lounge 41 - Location: Terminals 2 and 3, Airside, non-Schengen Area. Hours: 6am - 11pm. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: US$ 40 per person (3 hours).
- Servisair Lounge No.26 - Location: Departure Lounge 1, Airside (Schengen). Hours: 530am - 9pm. (Sun - Fri) • 530am - 8pm. Lounge Access: US$ 40 for 3 hours.
- Servisair Lounge - Location: Departure Lounge 3, Airside, 1st Floor (Non-Schengen). Showers are available. Hours: 0600am - 1100pm. Lounge Access: from £25.00 for 3 hours
- Free WiFi is available at Amsterdam Schiphol airport for one hour. Connect to the "KPN Network". You can pay for Premium WiFi by credit card using the machines at the KPN Internet Zones or in cash at one of the nearby stores.
- The KPN Internet Zones are located landside at Schiphol Plaza and airside beyond Passport Control in lounge 1, lounge 2 (1st floor), lounge 3 (Pier G), Pier C (at C10), Pier D, and lounge 4 (Pier M).
If sleeping in airports does not appeal to you, there are transit hotels inside Schiphol Airport as well as hotels at the airport (but outside the terminal):
- Mercure Schiphol Terminal - located inside the airport (airside / in transit), first floor, Departure Lounge 3, between Gates E and F. Day rooms are available from 10am-7pm.
- Yotel - located inside the airport (airside / in transit), Departure Lounge 2, near Pier D. Day use rooms are available in 4 hour blocks.
- Sheraton Hotel - direct access, easy access from baggage claim. Day rooms are available 8am - 6pm.
- Hilton Hotel - access by covered walkway from terminal. (Free Shuttle: departs every 20 minutes between 5:00am and 12:30am from bus stop A13)
- citizenM hotel - a trendy budget hotel within a 5 minute walk from the terminal
- Casino - Why pay for a hotel room, when you can just as easily blow your money at the casino. Only at the casino do you actually have a chance of leaving with more money than you came in with. Location: Room 2, between Gates E and F. Hours: 630am- 730pm
- City Tours - There is a tour company located in the terminal that offers tours in between flights. The stopover excursions are 2-3.5 hours in duration. See more sightseeing options for longer transits below.
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or delays, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. At the moment, we are not sure where you can find them or how you can get your hands on one, but they do exist. If you have any information or photos, please email me.
- Currency Exchange - Yes (airside and landside)
- Fitness and Spa - The Sheraton Fitness & Spa offers a day pass that allows you unlimited use of gym, sauna and rainforest showers, steam room and spa area. LocatedL landside between Schiphol Plaza and the World Trade Centre. Rate: EUR 20. Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week. * The sauna and steam room are not available between 23:00pm-06:00am.
- Food / Dining -
While there are MANY food and drink options at Schiphol airport, I've only listed the facilities that are open 24 hour:
>>>Landside: Burger King (Plaza Schiphol) • Délifrance Plaza (Plaza Schiphol) • Dutch & delicious (Arrivals 2) • Grand Cafe Plaza (Arrivals 3) • Juggle Juice Bar (Arrivals 3) • Le Place (Arrivals 1) • Per Tutti! (Arrivals 2) • Pizza Per Tutti! (Arrivals 3) • Starbucks (Plaza Schiphol)
>>>Airside: Bread! (Lounge 3) • Cone Bar (Lounge 2) • Mediterranean Sandwich Bar (Lounge 1) • Starbucks (Lounge 1)
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - You can store your bags in the luggage lockers for up to 7 days. Locations: Lounge 1, Lounge 2, Lounge 3, Lounge D - pier, Arrivals 3, Kelderplein. Rates: depends on the size of the locker - from EUR 5.00 per 24 hours to EUR 10.00 per 24 hours.
Chair Massages - You keep your clothes and sit comfortably in an ergonomically designed chair while your shoulders, head, neck, back, arms and hands are treated. Rates EUR 16.50 (10 minutes) or EUR 27.50 (20 minutes). Location: Airside, Holland Boulevard. Hours: 8:30 am - 7:00 pm.
Massage-O-Matic - special unit that includes a shiatsu massage chair and relaxing with music. Duration: 8 minutes. Location: Near the window in Room 2, between Pier D and E (next to the bar). Rate: EUR 4
Back to Life Massage - chair or foot massages. Location: Holland Boulevard. Hours: 7am - 7pm. Rates: € 16.50 (for 10 minute massage)
- National Museum
The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam Schiphol contains a permanent exhibition of ten works of old master from the Golden Age. Location: Airside, on Holland Boulevard, between the E and F Pier. Hours: daily from 07:00am-20.00pm. Rate: free
- Panorama Terrace
The Panorama Terrace offers a great view of the aircraft and tarmac. Location: between Arrivals 1 and 2 and 3. Hours: 9am - 5pm (Winter) and 7am-8pm (Summer)
- Prayer Rooms - There is a Meditation Centre is that is open to all religions. The facility includes a library with text books of various religions in different languages. Church service is held Sunday at 11:00am. Location: Airside
- Security Office - Location is unknown. Do you know? Email me
- Showers - Rates: € 15.00 (including soap, shampoo, shower cap, towels, hair dryer and drink). Location: 1st floor in the Mercure Hotel (Lounge 3) or Yotel (Lounge 2, near Pier D). Hours: 24 hours
- Theatre - The XD Theatre show a variety of 3D movies. Duration: 4-5 minutes. Location: Schiphol Plaza. Hours: 7am - 10pm.Rate: €5
- Weddings - At first I thought this was a joke. However, it is true....you can have your dream wedding at the airport with the tarmac as your stunning backdrop.
More things to do away from the airport with more than 4 hour transit:
- Museums: Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, Zaanse Schans
- Keukenhof, to view the tulip displays in Spring
- Madurodam, the minitaure city is open 365 days
- Delta Works, Canal trips and the village of Giethoorn
- Aviodrome, the National Aviation Theme Park
- The Floating Dutchman, a bus ride on the water. Departures: 10am, 1pm and 4pm (Wed - Sun)
open 24 hours
Airport Transportation: Getting There
Schiphol has a number of bus routes to the surrounding cities and towns
Train service within the Netherlands and abroad are available from the airport's train station. Schiphol train station is located directly below the airport. Buy your tickets at the big yellow machines. The travel time to Amsterdam is 15 minutes.
- Shared Taxis
If you opt for the combined travel option (shared taxi), the transportation time will not exceed 1.5 times the direct travel time.
from Amanda C: " they woke us up at 5am and asked us to move to the black chairs...your not allowed to be laying down after 5am."
If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, post a question on our Facebook Page or email me and I will try to help (I can't make any promises though).
Last Updated: 23 May 2012 | Sources: Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.