Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Amsterdam Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Go to the Schengen Terminal, then move to the Holland Boulevard and upstairs (just above the museum/library) at the left there are around 100 leather sofa sleepers. Sort of reclined (nearly fully!) seats. Very comfortable. And 100 quiet. Recommended! - Quadur
(September 2014) I had really high expectations for this airport after all I've read on this website. I even decided to buy a slightly cheaper ticket being aware that I'd have to spend the night at Schiphol,to wait for my connection, which would be at least a bearable experience. What a big mistake.
I didn't know the airport was going through a renovation, so there is absolutely no quiet place at the airport. I could still put up with that, if there were at least, somewhere, the famous reclining chairs where a could lay down a bit. Nope. Instead there are only individual non-reclining chairs or sofas/benches with divisions/armrests intentionally made for people not to relax.
And to top it off, something really disgusting: I saw, running around the lounges, not one, nor two, but THREE rats (in different places and times). How can you relax with that?
After all that, I was decided to pay for one of the hotels inside the airport... And of course, all were full. Even all the propagated entertainment/commercial services were a let down: everything closes really early at night.
To be fair, at least the Internet was working just fine all along. The toilets are also good, with many available, as well as there are plenty of power outlets.
Anyway, even though there is a renovation going on, and they are only trying to make a better airport, I think they could really do much better on dealing with this temporary situation. Maybe not renovating the whole thing at the same time, leaving some of the relaxing chairs still available on some parts of the terminals; taking off all this divisions/armrests on sofas/benches, that makes sleeping only possible for very short/skinny people; creating temporary lounges in specific areas, that are not so affected by the renovation; informing more clearly the passengers about the disturbing situation, so that people can consider to stay at a hotel on the landside, where there actually might be available rooms. And please - oh, please - do something about the rats.
So, I'm very sad to say that my experience of sleeping at 'The best airport to sleep in Europe' was a total disaster. I don't even want to imagine how it would be at the worst ones...
Have you been to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Menzies Lounge 21 - Location: Terminal 1 (Schengen). Hours: 0600-2030
- Servisair Lounge 41 - Location: Terminals 2 and 3, Airside, non-Schengen Area. Hours: 6am - 11pm. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: from £25 per person (3 hours) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- Servisair Lounge No.26 - Location: Departure Lounge 1, Airside (Schengen). Hours: 530am - 9pm. (Sun - Fri) • 530am - 8pm. Lounge Access: from £25 for 3 hours to guarantee that you have a seat.
» book lounge
- Servisair Lounge - Location: Departure Lounge 3, Airside, 1st Floor (Non-Schengen). Showers are available. Hours: 0600am - 1100pm.
- Free WiFi is available at Amsterdam Schiphol airport for an unlimited amount of time. Connect to the "KPN Network".
- The KPN Internet Zones are located landside at Schiphol Plaza and airside beyond Passport Control in Departure Lounge 1, Pier C (near C10), Departure Lounge 3 (Pier G), Pier D and Departure Lounge 4 (Pier M).
If sleeping in airports does not appeal to you, there are transit hotels inside Schiphol Airport as well as hotels at the airport (but outside the terminal):
- Mercure Schiphol Terminal - located inside the airport (airside / in transit), first floor, Departure Lounge 3, between Gates E and F. Day rooms are available from 10am-7pm.
- Yotel - located inside the airport (airside / in transit), Departure Lounge 2, near Pier D. Day use rooms are available in 4 hour blocks.
- Sheraton Hotel - direct access, easy access from baggage claim. Day rooms are available 8am - 6pm.
- Hilton Hotel - access by covered walkway from terminal. (Free Shuttle: departs every 20 minutes between 5:00am and 12:30am from bus stop A13)
- citizenM hotel - a trendy budget hotel within a 5 minute walk from the terminal
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Schiphol Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Business Services
- Airport Business Point is a waiting lounge at Schiphol Plaza where you wait for business associates or drivers. Location: Arrivals Hall 2. Hours: 9am - 6pm.
- Conference Rooms - Exchange Avenue offers business travellers the ability to rent conference halls and boardrooms. Location: Departures Level 1, 3rd Floor.
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt. Location: Schiphol Plaza, behind the Arrivals Hall.
- Casino - Why pay for a hotel room, when you can just as easily blow your money at the casino. Only at the casino do you actually have a chance of leaving with more money than you came in with. Location: Room 2, between Gates E and F. Hours: 630am- 730pm
- Children's Play Areas - Kids Forest is a forest-like play area where your kids can run around and burn off some steam before getting on the flight. Hours: Holland Boulevard.
- City Tours - There is a tour company located in the terminal that offers tours in between flights. The stopover excursions are 2-3.5 hours in duration. See more sightseeing options for longer transits below.
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or delays, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. At the moment, we are not sure where you can find them or how you can get your hands on one, but they do exist. If you have any information or photos, please email me.
- Currency Exchange - Yes (airside and landside).
- Fitness and Spa - The Sheraton Fitness & Spa offers a day pass that allows you unlimited use of gym, sauna and rainforest showers, steam room and spa area. Located: landside between Schiphol Plaza and the World Trade Centre. Rate: EUR 20. Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week. * The sauna and steam room are not available between 23:00pm-06:00am.
- Food & Drinks -
While there are MANY food and drink options at Schiphol airport, I've only listed the facilities that are open 24 hours:
»Landside: Burger King (Plaza Schiphol) • Délifrance Plaza (Plaza Schiphol) • Dutch & delicious (Arrivals 2) • Grand Cafe Plaza (Arrivals 3) • Juggle Juice Bar (Arrivals 3) • Le Place (Arrivals 1) • Per Tutti! (Arrivals 2) • Pizza Per Tutti! (Arrivals 3) • Starbucks (Plaza Schiphol)
»Airside: Bread! (Lounge 3) • Cone Bar (Lounge 2) • Mediterranean Sandwich Bar (Lounge 1) • Starbucks (Lounge 1)
- Library - This is the world's first airport library inside. In addition to books, you can read or listen to music on the iPads. Rate: free.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - You can store your bags in the luggage lockers for up to 7 days. Locations: Lounge 1, Lounge 2, Lounge 3, Lounge D - pier, Arrivals 3, Kelderplein. Rates: depends on the size of the locker - from EUR 5.00 per 24 hours to EUR 10.00 per 24 hours.
Chair Massages - You keep your clothes and sit comfortably in an ergonomically designed chair while your shoulders, head, neck, back, arms and hands are treated. Rates EUR 16.50 (10 minutes) or EUR 27.50 (20 minutes). Location: Airside, Holland Boulevard. Hours: 8:30 am - 7:00 pm.
Massage-O-Matic - special unit that includes a shiatsu massage chair and relaxing with music. Duration: 8 minutes. Location: Near the window in Room 2, between Pier D and E (next to the bar). Rate: EUR 4
Back to Life Massage - chair or foot massages. Location: Holland Boulevard. Hours: 7am - 7pm. Rates: € 16.50 (for 10 minute massage)
- National Museum
The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam Schiphol contains a permanent exhibition of ten works of old master from the Golden Age. Location: Airside, on Holland Boulevard, between the E and F Pier. Hours: daily from 07:00am-20.00pm. Rate: free
- Panorama Terrace
The Panorama Terrace offers a great view of the aircraft and tarmac. Location: between Arrivals 1 and 2 and 3. Hours: 9am - 5pm (Winter) and 7am-8pm (Summer)
- Prayer Rooms - There is a Meditation Centre is that is open to all religions. The facility includes a library with text books of various religions in different languages. Church service is held Sunday at 11:00am. Location: Airside
- Showers - Rates: € 15.00 (including soap, shampoo, shower cap, towels, hair dryer and drink). Location: 1st floor in the Mercure Hotel (Lounge 3) or Yotel (Lounge 2, near Pier D), near the entrance to Gates $ (upstairs), between Gates E&F (upstairs), between Gates D&E (upstairs). Hours: 24 hours. A reader tells me that there is a free shower on the first floor, midway between lounge 41 (Menzies/Servisair lounge) and 42 (British Airways lounge). Tim says "you have to take your own towel, soaps, shampoos etc, but the shower head pressure and temperature is good."
- Smoking Rooms - Smoking is not permitted inside the terminal except in designated smoking rooms near the food concessions.. There are designated smoking areas outside the terminal
- Snooze Chairs - The airport has5 rest zones with reclining relaxation chairs. Locations: Gates D, Two locations near Gates E (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gate D (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gates C. Rate: Free
- Theatre - The XD Theatre show a variety of 3D movies. Duration: 4-5 minutes. Location: Schiphol Plaza. Hours: 7am - 10pm.Rate: €5
- Weddings - At first I thought this was a joke. However, it is true....you can have your dream wedding at the airport with the tarmac as your stunning backdrop.
More things to do away from the airport with more than 4 hour transit:
- Museums: Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, Zaanse Schans
- Keukenhof, to view the tulip displays in Spring
- Madurodam, the minitaure city is open 365 days
- Delta Works, Canal trips and the village of Giethoorn
- Aviodrome, the National Aviation Theme Park
- The Floating Dutchman, a bus ride on the water. Departures: 10am, 1pm and 4pm (Wed - Sun)
open 24 hours
Airport Transportation: Getting There
Schiphol has a number of bus routes to the surrounding cities and towns
Train service within the Netherlands and abroad are available from the airport's train station. Schiphol train station is located directly below the airport. Buy your tickets at the big yellow machines. The travel time to Amsterdam is 15 minutes.
- Shared Taxis
If you opt for the combined travel option (shared taxi), the transportation time will not exceed 1.5 times the direct travel time.
Facebook and Twitter Tips
Amanda C on Facebook: " they woke us up at 5am and asked us to move to the black chairs...your not allowed to be laying down after 5am."
If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, post a question on our Facebook Page. If you post a question, remember to mention the airport or nobody will understand what you are asking about.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 01 October 2013
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.