Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Amsterdam Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Go to the Schengen Terminal, then move to the Holland Boulevard and upstairs (just above the museum/library) at the left there are around 100 leather sofa sleepers. Sort of reclined (nearly fully!) seats. Very comfortable. And 100 quiet. Recommended! - Quadur
May 2015 - My wife and I were disappointed with the great reviews for the Amsterdam, Schiphol Airport. We had an overnight layover. In the main plaza there are very few seats and the few they have all have armrests between the seats making it impossible to lay down and lots of traffic. There are a good number of fast food places and other places to eat in the Plaza area but no comfortable seating. We finally found a corner with cement floors and a few seats with armrests in between and tried to sleep on the floor, as did sever others, but it was impossible. The lights kept dimming and then getting bright, obviously to discourage sleeping. An officer came around checking tickets. Bad place for sleep. I found it impossible to find a decent chair anywhere in the airport and I did look! at 3:30am our departure gate was finally posted. It took forever to walk there. On the way we did find a couple of seats where you could lay down in an uncomfortable position. We were able to sleep about 1 hour before we went to our departure gate. How this airport was rated #1 for Europe I will never know. Good eating places, poor to lounge around in or impossibe to lay down anywhere I could see. Best to get a hotel off airport, in my opinion.
Have you been to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Alghero airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Servisair Lounge 41 - Location: Terminals 2 and 3, Airside, non-Schengen Area. Hours: 5:30AM - 11:00PM. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25) • Priority Pass
- Servisair Lounge 26 - Location: Departure Lounge 1, Airside (Schengen). Hours: 5:30AM - 9:00PM. (Sun - Fri) • 530am - 8pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25) • Priority Pass.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Amsterdam Schiphol airport. Connect to the "Schiphol_Airport_Wi-Fi" and select 'Free Wi-Fi'. If you want to stream music/videos, upload photos or connect to your work network (via VPN) a Premium Wi-Fi is also available which is faster than the Free Wi-Fi and ideal for more demanding tasks.
Additionally, Internet Centres are located Departure Lounges 1, 3 and 4 • Airport Park (Pier D, level 2) • Piers C and D (level 1) • Schiphol Plaza (La Place). There is a fee to use the terminals in these areas.
If sleeping in Amsterdam Airports does not appeal to you, there are transit hotels inside Schiphol Airport as well as hotels at the airport (but outside the terminal):
- Mercure Schiphol Terminal - Located after Customs in the transit area of Lounge 3, 1st floor. Access via entry point between Gates E & F. From outside the airport, go through Departures Hall 3 and pass through security between check-in desk 22 and 23. Day rooms are available from 10am to 7pm. You must have a passport and ticket for a flight departing same or next day.
- Yotel - Located in the airside/transit area of the main terminal, Lounge 2, near Pier D. Day use rooms are available in 4 hour blocks. Please note: This hotel is closed until August 2015, due to renovations.
- Sheraton Hotel - (2 min from the Arrivals Hall via covered walkway) Direct, easy access from baggage claim. Day rooms available from 8am to 6pm. No airport shuttle
- Hilton Hotel - (7 min walk from the airport terminals via covered walkway) The hotel is an easy walk from the main terminal, or you can take the free shuttle bus from bus stop A13 (Schiphol Plaza), which runs from 6am to 11pm.
- citizenM hotel - (4 min walk (6 min by moonwalk) from Arrivals Hall 4) A trendy budget hotel within a short walk of the airport. No airport shuttle
- Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle available
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Schiphol Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs - Yes (airside and landside).
- Babycare Lounge - Parents can take care of their babies, bathe them, feed them or let them have a nap in one of the seven bed cabins which also include a comfy spot for the parents. Location: Holland Avenue (between Lounges 2 and 3). Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Business Services
- Airport Business Point is a waiting lounge at Schiphol Plaza where you wait for business associates or drivers. Location: Arrivals Hall 2. Hours: 9am - 6pm.
- Conference Rooms - Exchange Avenue offers business travellers the ability to rent conference halls and boardrooms. Location: Departures Level 1, 3rd Floor.
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt. Location: Schiphol Plaza, behind the Arrivals Hall.
- Casino - Why pay for a hotel room, when you can just as easily blow your money at the casino. Only at the casino do you actually have a chance of leaving with more money than you came in with. Location: Room 2, between Gates E and F. Hours: 630am- 730pm
- Children's Play Areas - Kids Forest is a forest-like play area where your kids can run around and burn off some steam before getting on the flight. Hours: Holland Boulevard.
- City Tours - There is a tour company located in the terminal that offers tours in between flights. The stopover excursions are 2-3.5 hours in duration. See more sightseeing options for longer transits below.
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email I receive about this, I'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved" and I don't know where they are kept.
- Currency Exchange - Yes (airside and landside).
- Fitness and Spa - The Sheraton Fitness & Spa offers a day pass that allows you unlimited use of gym, sauna and rainforest showers, steam room and spa area. Located: landside between Schiphol Plaza and the World Trade Centre. Rate: EUR 20. Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week. * The sauna and steam room are not available between 11:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - While there are MANY food and drink options at Schiphol airport, we've only listed the facilities that are open 24 hours:
- Landside: Burger King (Plaza Schiphol) • Dutch & delicious (Arrivals 2) • Grand Cafe Plaza (Arrivals 3) • Juggle Juice Bar (Arrivals 3) • Le Place Express (Arrivals 1) • Le Place Restaurant (Plaza Schiphol) • Starbucks (Plaza Schiphol)
- Airside: Starbucks (Lounge 1)
- Library - This is the world's first airport library inside. In addition to books, you can read or listen to music on the iPads. Rate: free.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - You can store your bags in the luggage lockers for up to 7 days. Locations: Lounge 1, Lounge 2, Lounge 3, Lounge D - pier, Arrivals 3, Kelderplein. Rates: depends on the size of the locker - from EUR 6.00 per 24 hours to EUR 11.50 per 24 hours.
- Chair Massages - You keep your clothes and sit comfortably in an ergonomically designed chair while your shoulders, head, neck, back, arms and hands are treated. Rates EUR 16.50 (10 minutes) or EUR 27.50 (20 minutes). Location: Airside, Holland Boulevard. Hours: 8:30 am - 7:00 pm.
- Massage-O-Matic - special unit that includes a shiatsu massage chair and relaxing with music. Duration: 8 minutes. Location: Near the window in Room 2, between Pier D and E (next to the bar). Rate: EUR 4
- Back to Life Massage - chair or foot massages. Location: Holland Boulevard. Hours: 7am - 7pm. Rates: € 16.50 (for 10 minute massage)
- National Museum - The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam Schiphol contains a permanent exhibition of ten works of old master from the Golden Age. Location: Airside, on Holland Boulevard, between the E and F Pier. Hours: daily from 07:00am-20.00pm. Rate: free.
- Panorama Terrace - The Panorama Terrace offers a great view of the aircraft and tarmac. Location: between Arrivals 1 and 2 and 3. Hours: 9am - 5pm (Winter) and 7am-8pm (Summer).
- Pharmacy - If you need some last minute medical supplies or prescription, there is a pharmacy located in Arrival Hall 4. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Prayer Rooms - There is a Meditation Centre is that is open to all religions. The facility includes a library with text books of various religions in different languages. Church service is held Sunday at 11:00am. Location: Airside. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM.
- Rest Zone - The airport has 5 rest zones with reclining relaxation chairs. Locations: Gates D, Two locations near Gates E (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gate D (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gates C. Rate: Free
- Shower - There are a few areas in the terminal where you can enjoy a shower. Locations: Mercure Hotel, Airside, Lounge 3, 1st Floor • Yotel, Airisde, Lounge 2, near Pier D). Rates: € 15.00 (including soap, shampoo, shower cap, towels, hair dryer and drink). Location: Hours: 24 hours. A reader tells me that there is a free shower on the first floor, midway between lounge 41 (Menzies/Servisair lounge) and 42 (British Airways lounge). Tim says "you have to take your own towel, soaps, shampoos etc, but the shower head pressure and temperature is good."
- Smoking Rooms - Smoking is not permitted inside the terminal except in designated smoking rooms near the food concessions located airside. There are designated smoking areas outside the terminal.
- Spa - See "Fitness & Spa" above
- Theatre - The XD Theatre show a variety of 3D movies. Duration: 4-5 minutes. Location: Schiphol Plaza. Hours: 7am - 10pm.Rate: €5
- Weddings - At first I thought this was a joke. However, it is true....you can have your dream wedding at the airport with the tarmac as your stunning backdrop.
More things to do away from the airport with more than 4 hour transit:
- Museums: Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, Zaanse Schans
- Keukenhof, to view the tulip displays in Spring
- Madurodam, the minitaure city is open 365 days
- Delta Works, Canal trips and the village of Giethoorn
- Aviodrome, the National Aviation Theme Park
- The Floating Dutchman, a bus ride on the water. Departures: 10am, 1pm and 4pm (Wed - Sun)
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Airport Schiphol has an extensive network of direct bus lines. Passengers on all lines embark and disembark at Schiphol Plaza (directly in front of the Arrival and Departure Halls).
The most important connections are Amsterdam City Centre: line 197/Amsterdam Airport Express departs every 15 minutes to the city centre of Amsterdam. More info: www.bus197.nl
Schiphol station is directly below the airport. Via Schiphol Plaza, you can walk straight to the departure or arrival hall.
You can travel on NS (the Dutch Railways) with either a single-use chipcard or an OV-chipkaart. Both available from yellow ticket machines with the blue overhead sign reading ‘traintickets’.
Ticket machines are located near the platforms at Schiphol Plaza. Tickets (for domestic and international travel) are also available from the Ticket- and Service desks, which are situated close to the red/white-checked cube at Schiphol Plaza. For more info: www.ns.nl/en.
Night train: If you are departing/arriving at night or in the early morning, the NS night network could be the answer. Night trains travel once an hour.
Intercity direct: The Amsterdam Airport City Centre Train travels between Schiphol, Amsterdam CS, Rotterdam CS and Breda. The Intercity direct service reaches destinations faster than domestic trains.
Taxis are available from Schiphol to your chosen destination/hotel. If you opt for the combined travel option (shared taxi), the transportation time will not exceed 1.5 times the direct travel time.
There are a host of well known car rental agencies available to hire a vehicle. Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt. Location: Schiphol Plaza, behind the Arrivals Hall.
Amanda C on Facebook: " they woke us up at 5am and asked us to move to the black chairs...your not allowed to be laying down after 5am."
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 10 July 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.