Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Amsterdam Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
As of November 6, 2015 there was no library, no museum, and no leather sofas. The place was not quiet at all. Everyone said 'it was being renovated'. However, I didn't see any construction workers. All in all, and most importantly, there were no leather sofa sleepers. And, no one had any idea where the sofas were shipped to. - Rob
Newly renovated Departure Lounge 2 in 2016 (Photo provided by Schiphol Airport)
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Amsterdam Airport.
What to Expect
- The is a large airport! It has one terminal that lead into three departure halls.
- This is a busy airport, and it seems like a lot of recent renovations have changed locations of spots travellers have reported to us.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Airside: Visit the internet area on the main floor between Piers E and F - there are many padded chairs, soft benches, and chaise longues for relaxing. Bring your earplugs, this is a busy area (Traveller, May 2016).
- The Airside McDonald’s (likely in T3) has arm-less benches.
- Plenty of bench seating with armrests on Airside.
- Landside: find the cafe on the left side of the terminal - there are comfortable seats there (Traveller, September 2015).
- Landside: Starting at 12:00AM, security guards patrol the landside area asking for boarding passes. If you do not have a boarding pass you will be kicked out of the airport. (Traveller, September 2016)
- It gets very cold so come prepared with a blanket and warm clothes.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel and sleep cabins inside the airport and other hotels just outside the terminal. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available in some areas. See Showers in the airport guide below for locations.
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to several airport lounges; one has shower facilities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Amsterdam Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Amsterdam airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Servisair Lounge 41 - Location: Terminals 2 and 3, Airside (non-Schengen). Showers are available ($). Hours: 6:00AM - 11:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25).
- Servisair Lounge 26 - Location: Departure Lounge 1, Airside (Schengen). Hours: 5:30AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25).
Free WiFi is available at the airport in 4 hour increments. Connect to the “Airport_Free_Wifi”. Once your 4 hours is up, you can re-join the network to start another free session. If you want to download or stream movies or files, a premium service is available for a fee, payable by credit card, debit card or vouchers purchased in the airport.
For travelers without their own mobile devices, computers with internet access are available for use in the Internet Centre, located within the airport lounges. Free printing is available.
If sleeping in Amsterdam Airports does not appeal to you, there are transit hotels inside Schiphol Airport as well as hotels at the airport (but outside the terminal):
- Mercure Schiphol Terminal - Located after Customs in the transit area of Lounge 3, 1st floor. Access via entry point between Gates E & F. From outside the airport, go through Departures Hall 3 and pass through security between check-in desk 22 and 23. Day rooms are available from 10:00AM to 7:00PM. You must have a passport and ticket for a flight departing same or next day.
- YOTELAIR - Located in the airside/transit area of the main terminal, Lounge 2, near Pier D. Day use rooms are available in 4 hour blocks. Due to renovations inside the terminal, be advised that there may still be some construction noise.
- Sheraton Hotel - (2 min from the Arrivals Hall via covered walkway) Direct, easy access from baggage claim. Day rooms available from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. No airport shuttle
- Hilton Hotel - (7 min walk from the airport terminals via covered walkway) The hotel is an easy walk from the main terminal, or you can take the free shuttle bus from bus stop A13 (Schiphol Plaza), which runs from 6:00AM to 11:00PM.
- citizenM hotel - (4 min walk (6 min by moonwalk) from Arrivals Hall 4) A trendy budget hotel within a short walk of the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport - (7 min from the airport) A free airport shuttle departs approx. every 20 minutes from 4:45AM - 1:15AM. Pick-up from platform A9.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Schiphol Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Park - Enjoy a touch of the great outdoors from inside! Loungers, bean bag chairs, and exercise bikes are available in this green and leafy lounge. A pre-recorded birdsong adds to the relaxing atmosphere. Rate: Free Location: Airside Hours: Open 24 hours.
- ATMs - Yes (airside and landside).
- Babycare Lounge - Parents can take care of their babies, bathe them, feed them or let them have a nap in one of the seven bed cabins which also include a comfy spot for the parents. Location: Holland Avenue (between Lounges 2 and 3). Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Banking - ABN AMRO offers full-service banking and foreign currency exchange at kiosks located throughout the airport. Some ABN AMRO ATMs dispense foreign currency. The ATM in Plaza only dispenses Euro. Hours: Vary, with most ABN AMRO desk locations open from 6:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Business Services
- Airport Business Point is a waiting lounge at Schiphol Plaza where you wait for business associates or drivers. Location: Arrivals Hall 2. Hours: 9:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Conference Rooms - Exchange Avenue offers business travellers the ability to rent conference halls and boardrooms. Location: Departures Level 1, 3rd Floor.
- Casino - Why pay for a hotel room, when you can just as easily blow your money at the casino. Only at the casino do you actually have a chance of leaving with more money than you came in with. Location: Room 2, between Gates E and F. Hours: 6:30AM - 7:30PM.
- Children's Play Areas - Kids Forest is a forest-like play area where your kids can run around and burn off some steam before getting on the flight. Hours: Holland Boulevard.
- City Tours - There is a tour company located in the terminal that offers tours in between flights. The stopover excursions are 2-3.5 hours in duration. See more sightseeing options for longer transits below.
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email we receive about this, we'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved" and we don't know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Currency Exchange - GWK Travelex - Locations: Departure Lounge 1 (start of D-pier) • Arrivals Hall 3 • F-pier • G-pier Hours: All locations open at 6:00AM. Arrivals Hall 3 location open the latest, closing at 10:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available for travelers heading to non-EU destinations, and tax-free shopping is available in all airside shops for all travelers.
- Fitness - The Sheraton Fitness & Spa offers a day pass that allows you unlimited use of gym, sauna and rainforest showers, steam room and spa area. Located: landside between Schiphol Plaza and the World Trade Centre. Rate: EUR 20. Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week. * The sauna and steam room are not available between 11:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Bread! (Lounge 3) • Burger King (Plaza) • Dutch & delicious (Arrivals 2) • Grand Cafe Plaza (Arrivals 3) • Juggle Juice Bar (Arrivals 2) • La Place Express (Arrivals 1) • La Place Restaurant (Arrivals 1) • Mediterranean Sandwich Bar (Lounge 1) • Starbucks (Lounge 1) • Starbucks (Plaza)
- Library - This is the world's first airport library inside. In addition to books, you can read or listen to music on the iPads. Rate: free.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - You can store your bags in the luggage lockers for up to 7 days. Locations: Lounge 1, Lounge 2, Lounge 3, Lounge D - pier, Arrivals 3, Kelderplein. Rates: depends on the size of the locker - from EUR 6.00 per 24 hours to EUR 11.50 per 24 hours.
- Chair Massages - You keep your clothes and sit comfortably in an ergonomically designed chair while your shoulders, head, neck, back, arms and hands are treated. Rates EUR 16.50 (10 minutes) or EUR 27.50 (20 minutes). Location: Airside, Holland Boulevard. Hours: 8:30AM - 7:00PM.
- Massage-O-Matic -There are 13+ units of this shiatsu massage chair that features relaxing with music. Duration: 8 minutes. Location: Near the window in Room 2, between Pier D and E (next to the bar). Rate: EUR 4
- Back to Life Massage - chair or foot massages. Location: Holland Boulevard. Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM. Rates: € 16.50 (for 10 minute massage)
- Medical Services - Medical treatment is available at The First Aid Post. There are two entrances: Departures 2, one level above Check-In Desk 16 or Lounge 2, airside, 2nd Floor Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging - Power outlets can be found next to the blue or white payphones, located throughout the airport.
- National Museum - The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam Schiphol contains a permanent exhibition of ten works of old master from the Golden Age. Location: Airside, on Holland Boulevard, between the E and F Pier. Hours: daily from 7:00AM - 8:00PM. Rate: free.
- Panorama Terrace - The Panorama Terrace offers a great view of the aircraft and tarmac. Location: between Arrivals 1 and 2 and 3. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Winter) and 7:00AM - 8:00PM (Summer).
- Pharmacy - Alphega Pharmacy Schiphol Plaza Location: Schiphol Plaza, Arrivals Hall 1, near the Hello Goodbye Bar Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM (prescription pickup available 24/7 via special lockers).
- Prayer Rooms - There is a Meditation Centre is that is open to all religions. The facility includes a library with text books of various religions in different languages. Church service is held every Sunday at 11:00AM. Location: Airside, near the F gates Hours: Open 24 hours (staff available from 9:00AM - 5:00PM).
- Rest Zone - The airport has 5 rest zones with reclining relaxation chairs. Locations: Gates D, Two locations near Gates E (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gate D (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gates C. These locations may have changed during the recent renovation. Rate: Free.
- Shower - There are a few areas in the terminal where you can enjoy a shower:
- Mercure Hotel - Airside, Lounge 3, Upper Level, piers F, G and H (opposite KLM Crown Lounge). Rate: € 15 (including towels and toiletries).
- Yotel - Airside, Lounge 2, Upper Level, piers D and E (opposite the M&M’s store). Two shower cabins are available. Rates: € 15.00 for up to 1 hour (including towels and toiletries).
- SIM Cards - Communicate cheaper and easier on your mobile phone with the purchase of a local SIM card. SIM cards are available for sale in the Airport Telecom Shop or at the Service Point.
- Smoking Rooms - Smoking is only permitted in designated areas inside and outside the terminal. Smoking is allowed indoors in specially-designed smoking rooms inside of Lounges 2 and 3. The rooms are conveniently located near restaurants and are clearly marked “Smoking Room”.
- Spa - There are a few spas at Schiphol Airport:
- Rituals Spa - Location: Departure Lounge 1 (Follow the signs to Pier B/C). Hours: 6:00AM - 8:00PM.
- XpresSpa - Locations: Airside, Lounge 3, top level • Airside, Lounge 2, top level • Airside, Pier D, near Starbucks. Hours: unknown.
- Sheraton Fitness & Spa - Ther Sheraton Hotel offers a day pass that allows non-guests unlimited use of gym, sauna and rainforest showers, steam room and spa area. Located: landside between Schiphol Plaza and the World Trade Centre. Rate: EUR 20. Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week. * The sauna and steam room are not available between 11:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Weddings - At first I thought this was a joke. However, it is true....you can have your dream wedding at the airport with the tarmac as your stunning backdrop.
More things to do away from the airport with more than 4 hour transit:
- Museums: Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, Zaanse Schans
- Keukenhof, to view the tulip displays in Spring
- Madurodam, the minitaure city is open 365 days
- Delta Works, Canal trips and the village of Giethoorn
- Aviodrome, the National Aviation Theme Park
- The Floating Dutchman, a bus ride on the water. Departures: 10:00AM, 1:00PM and 4:00PM (Wed - Sun)
The airport is open 24 hours.
Schiphol is served by buses from the city and surrounding regions. Bus stops for all bus lines can be found at Schiphol Plaza, directly in front of the Arrivals and Departures Halls. Some notable bus lines are:
- Line 197 > Amsterdam city center. Departs every 15 minutes. For more information, visit the Bus 197 website.
- Line 310 > Amsterdam South
- Line 69 > Amsterdam Sloterdijk
- Line 300 > Amstelveen and Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA railway station
- Line 365 > Leiden
- Line 361 > Noordwijk
Schiphol is served onsite by the following car rental agencies: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt. You can find these agencies in Schiphol Plaza, directly behind Arrivals 3.
Schiphol offers transportation to area hotels via Schiphol Hotel Shuttle service. These shuttles operate daily from 6:00AM - 9:00PM from bus platform A7, with a wait time of no more than 30 minutes. For more information, go to the Connexxion Service desk next to Starbucks in Arrivals 4 or visit the Schiphol Hotel Shuttle website.
Some hotels provide their own airport shuttle service. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle availability and service. Here is a list of hotels that offer airport shuttle service:
- Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM - 11:30PM, every 30 minutes, from platform A9)
- Best Western Amsterdam Airport Hotel
- Courtyard by Marriott Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 6:30AM - 11:30PM, € 5 per ride)
- Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM - 11:40PM, every 40 minutes, pick-up from bus stop A9)
- Dorint Airport Hotel Amsterdam (Shuttle Hours: 4:40AM - 1:15AM, every 15 - 35 minutes depending on the time of day)
- Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM - 11:40PM, every 40 minutes, pick-up from bus stop A9)
- Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM - 11:40PM, every 40 minutes, , pick-up from bus stop A9)
- Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (Shuttle Hours: 6:30AM - 11:30PM , pick-up from Arrival Hall 4)
- Ibis Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 5:00AM - 1:00AM)
- Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 4:45AM - 1:15AM, every 20 minutes, pick-up from platform A9)
- NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM)
- Park Inn by Radisson Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours - every 20 minutes from 6:30AM - 11:40PM, then on demand throughout the rest of the night. Pick-up: departs from Schiphol Plaza at bus stops A9 to A13, located below the overpass to the WTC.)
- Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 5:30AM - 12:00AM, every 30 minutes)
- Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours - every 20 minutes from 6:30AM - 11:40PM, then on demand throughout the rest of the night. Pick-up: departs from Schiphol Plaza at bus stops A9 to A13, located below the overpass to the WTC)
- Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM, twice per hour, pick-up from bus stop A9).
For comfortable, convenient and reliable service, take a Schiphol Travel Taxi. Available seven days a week, Schiphol Travel Taxi provides an economic door-to-door service. You can opt for private service or save even more money by using the shared taxi service. For a little extra, you can opt for the Schiphol Business Taxi, a luxury private ride service with upgraded vehicle and amenities.
Schiphol Airport has a train station located directly below the airport, accessible via Schiphol Plaza and Departure and Arrival Halls. A single-use chipcard or OV-chipkaart can be used to ride on the NS (Dutch Railways), which can be purchased in the train station from yellow machines with a blue sign overhead that says “Traintickets”. OV-chipkaarts can also be purchased from yellow vending machines with a yellow sign overhead. Ticket vending machines are available near the platforms at Schiphol Plaza. “Ticket and Service” desks, located next to the red and white checked cube, provide information and sell train tickets for both domestic and international trains.
Along with standard domestic trains, high-speed Intercity Direct trains are available, offering a faster, more direct service to some of the same destinations. An hourly night service is available for passengers needing to travel on the NS at night or in the early morning. For information on domestic, Intercity Direct and night trains, visit the NS website.
Tickets for international trains, such as Thalys, ICE International, CityNightLine and Eurostar, can be purchased from the NS Hispeed ticket offices in Schiphol Plaza or visit the NS website.
Amanda C on Facebook: " they woke us up at 5:00AM and asked us to move to the black chairs...your not allowed to be laying down after 5:00AM."
Last Updated: 03 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.