Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or are just quickly passing through, our Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
They have leather couches and some reclined chairs, not the most comfortable but I’ve had worse. Temperature was fine all night and not too many announcements, the only thing was a “mind your step” warning that went off every time someone walked past a sensor. – a guest reviewer
AMS Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport.
What to Expect
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (Code: AMS) consists of a single terminal building with three departure halls and seven piers radiating off the halls. Travellers are expected to wait in the departure halls until notice boards indicate that flights are boarding. At that time, travellers head to the appropriate pier to find their boarding gate.
The departure halls are rife with creative airport amenities, including a library, a museum and designated rest zones. Travellers also have access to free WiFi and pay-to-use showers. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first-class lounges – one of which includes showers – that economy-class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Amsterdam Airport
Amsterdam Airport has a wide range of places to sleep; however, if you are airside, you will fare better than those attempting to sleep landside.
Landside – Sleeping in the terminal is only permitted overnight, so you cannot lay across chairs or benches during flight operation hours. Starting at midnight, security guards patrol the landside area to check ID and boarding passes. If you do not have a boarding pass, you will be escorted out of the airport and permitted re-entry at 4:00 AM. One past reviewer recommended the cafe on the left side of the terminal.
Airside – There is plenty of armrest-free seating. Specifically, there are padded chairs, soft benches and chaise lounges between Piers E and F in the internet area. There is also a green rest area with lounge and bean bag chairs before the D gates. Both locations are popular with overnighters, so it’s worth showing up early to snag a good seat!
No matter where you plan to sleep, earplugs, noise-cancelling headphones, warm layers, or a blanket will increase your comfort level. Reviewers have commented that the terminal can sometimes be loud and cold. Explore our guide to sleeping in Amsterdam Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips.
If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there are sleep cabins, a transit hotel directly inside the airport’s secure zone, and other hotels nearby that are connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the guide below.
To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s website for current information. For more airport information, continue scrolling down to explore more in our Amsterdam Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program.
- Aspire Lounge (No.26) – Location: Departure Area 1, Airside. Schengen flights only. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Aspire Lounge (No. 41) – (Temporarily Closed) – Location: Departure Area 3, Airside, Panorama Deck on the 3rd Floor. Non-Schengen flights only. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- KLM Crown Lounges – Locations: Departure Area 1, Airside, Schengen Area, 2nd Floor, opposite D Pier • Airside, Non-Schengen, 2nd Floor, opposite F pier. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (EUR 50/Schengen Crown Lounge or EUR 65/Non-Schengen Crown Lounge) • Lounge membership programs.
- Privium Club Lounge Departures. Location: Between Departures 1 and 2, Landside, after check-in area 9. Hours: 5:30 AM – 9:00 PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€ 50 or € 35 if you are a guest of a Privium member) • Airport Membership.
- Privium Club Lounge West. Location: Airside, Holland Boulevard, Pier E, behind Dutch Bar & Kitchen (non-Schengen). Hours: 5:30 AM – 9:00 PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€ 50 or € 35 if you are a guest of a Privium member) • Airport Membership.
- Privium Express Lounge. Location: Departure Area 1, Airside, 2nd Floor, before D-Pier (Schengen). Hours: 5:30 AM – 9:30 PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€ 50 or € 35 if you are a guest of a Privium member) • Airport Membership.
In addition to the British Airways and KLM Crown Lounges that are accessible through memberships and day passes, if you are a First/Business Class/Star Alliance elite status traveller, you may also have access to the Star Alliance listed below.
- Star Alliance Lounge – Location: Airside, Schengen Area, 3rd Floor, next to Gate D.
Related Pages: Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Lounges
Amsterdam Airport Hotels, Sleep Pods & Day Rooms
Nearest Hotel: Inside the Airport
Sleep Cabins or Pods: Yes
Day Rooms: Yes
Nearby Hotels with Free Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair gives you nightmares, there is good news for those who are looking to sleep at Schiphol Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover, you don’t have to go through security, as two transit hotels offering both short-term and overnight rates. Sleep pods, perfect for single travellers seeking some privacy, are also available. Several nearby hotels are within walking distance or connected by free airport shuttles.
Hotels at Schiphol Airport
- Mercure Schiphol Terminal – (In Transit) Located after Customs in the transit area of Lounge 3, 1st floor. Access via the entry point between Gates E & F. From outside the airport, go through Departures Hall 3 and pass through security between check-in desks 22 and 23. Day rooms are available. You must have a passport and ticket for a flight departing on the same or next day. » Check Rates
- YotelAir – (In Transit) Located in the airside/transit area of the main terminal, Lounge 2, near Pier D. Day-use rooms are available in 4-hour blocks. Shower facilities can also be rented for 17,50€ for 45 minutes. Due to renovations inside the terminal, there may still be some construction noise. » Check Rates
- Sleep Pods – (In Transit) – Once you are airside (Concourse D, at XpresSpa), there are GoSleep pods for sleepy travellers to get some zzzz’s. Rates: unknown.
- Sheraton Hotel – (2-minute walk from the Arrivals Hall via a covered walkway) Direct access from baggage claim. Day rooms are available from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hilton Hotel – (7-minute walk from the airport terminals via a covered walkway) The hotel is an easy walk from the main terminal. » Check Rates
- citizenM hotel – (7-minute walk from Arrivals Hall 4) A trendy budget hotel within a short walk of the airport. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
More hotels near the airport with free airport shuttles
- Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport – A free airport shuttle departs approx. every 20 minutes from 3:48 AM – 12:43 AM. » Check Rates
- NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport – A free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. Contact the hotel directly to book a shuttle. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Schiphol Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Rest & Relaxation Zones
The airport has 5 rest zones with reclining relaxation chairs. Locations: Gates D, Two locations near Gates E (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gate D (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gates C. These locations may have changed during the recent renovation. Rate: Free.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
Airport WiFi / Internet and Mobile Charging
Free WiFi is available at the airport in 4 hour increments. Connect to the “Airport_Free_Wifi”. Once your 4 hours is up, you can re-join the network to start another free session.
Charge your laptop while you get a little work done, by using one of the many work stations located throughout all airport departure lounge areas, as well as Piers C and D. Each workstation offers compact work space with built-in power outlets for charging. Charging stations are also available next to the blue or white payphones located throughout the airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Conference Rooms – Spaces Lounge allows business travellers to rent conference halls and boardrooms. Location: Departures Level 1, 3rd Floor. Hours: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Mon – Fri).
- Work Stations – Set up your own office space at one of the workstations available for passengers. Free to use, the desks come equipped with power outlets. Locations: throughout all the terminal departure lounge areas and Piers C and D.
- SIM Cards – Communicate cheaper and easier on your mobile phone by purchasing a local SIM card. SIM cards are available for sale in the Airport Telecom Shop or at the Service Point.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Feed and care for your baby in privacy and comfort in the Baby Care Lounge. Changing tables, seven infant bed cabins, washbasins, comfy seating and other amenities are available. Location: On Holland Blvd., between Departures Lounges 2 and 3. Hours: 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM.
- NEMO Science Museum – Kids will enjoy visiting the NEMO Science Museum, where eight interactive stations are available to learn about technology and science. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Fitness – The Sheraton Fitness Centre, a 2-minute walk from the Arrivals Hall via a covered walkway, offers day passes. Rates: €39. Hours: 24/7.
Food & Drinks
- Food concessions throughout the terminal operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours.
- Landside – Health Food Wall (Plaza) • Grand Cafe Plaza (Plaza) • La Place Express (Plaza) • Burger King (Plaza) • Starbucks (Plaza).
- Airside – The Med (Lounge 1) • Bread! (Lounge 3) • Park Café (Lounge 1) • Harvest Market (D Pier) • Amsterdam Bread Company (Lounge 2) • Starbucks (Lounge 1).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Lockers are available before and after security. You can store items for up to 7 days. Locations: Holland Boulevard (Airside) • Lounge 1 (Airside) • Lounge 2 (Airside) • • Kelderplein (Landside). Rates: € 8 per 24-hour period. More extended luggage storage is available for up to 30 days in the Baggage Storage Area. Location: Arrivals Hall, Landside, basement level of the airport. Rates are €2.50 – €12.00 depending on size. Location: Landside, baggage depot between Arrivals 1 and 2, Level -1. Hours: 24/7.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your luggage and its contents with Seal & Go shrink foil for a fee of € 14 per bag (or more for oversized bags). Location: Departures Hall 1 (Hours: 6:00 AM – 5:00 PM) • Departure Halls 3 (Hours: 6:00 AM – 9:00 PM).
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available 24 hours a day at the First Aid Post. The First Aid Post also has its own pharmacy, located conveniently inside the clinic, and a travel clinic (read the Travel Clinic section below for details). You can enter the First Aid Post from its landside entrance in Departures Hall 2, one level above Check-In Desk 16, or its airside entrance on the 2nd Floor of Lounge 2.
- Pharmacy – The Apotheek can be found Landside in Arrivals 1. Hours: 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM. A pharmacy is also available onsite in the First Aid Post for clinic patients, open 24 hours.
- Travel Clinic – Medical advice and required vaccines for your destination are available at the First Aid Post Travel Clinic. Contact the travel clinic at least four weeks in advance, as some vaccines need to be given weeks before the journey to be effective. Locations: At the First Aid Post. You can enter the First Aid Post from its landside entrance in Departures Hall 2, one level above Check-In Desk 16, or its airside entrance on the 2nd Floor of Lounge 2 (Hours: 8:30 AM 24 – 4:30 PM) • Travel Clinic, Landside, Departure 2, above check-in 16 (Hours: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM).
Travellers who use Schiphol frequently may want to consider a Privium Plus membership. Benefits include priority parking, fast security and passport checks, Business class check-in regardless of class of service flown, lounge access, priority parking, and access to the Privium Excellence Garage. Membership can be purchased by any traveller regardless of class of service flown. Annual memberships vary in costs, from € 130 for a basic membership to € 285. Visit the Schiphol website for more information.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so check your bank’s fee schedule and daily withdrawal limit if you travel internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Airside and Landside. Schiphol also offers the first Bitcoin machine in Europe. Exchange your remaining euros for bitcoins or Ethereum (maximum redeemable amount is 100€). Location: Landside, Plaza.
- Banking Services – Information is unavailable during this September 2023 update.
- Currency Exchange – GWK Travelex offers foreign currency exchange and foreign currency ATMs in several locations: Landside, Plaza (Hours: 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM). • Airside, Lounge 2 (Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM) • Airside, Lounge 3 (Hours: 6:30 AM – 2:30 PM).
- ABN AMRO – Locations: Landside Arrivals 1 • Arrivals 3 • Arrivals 3. Airside: Lounge 1 • Lounge 2 • Lounge 3. Hours: varies by location.
- TAX Refunds – If you live outside the EU, your purchases may qualify for a tax refund. Refunds are processed through Global Blue and Travelex (the latter handles tax refunds for Planet & Innova).
- Prayer Rooms – Pray or meditate in the peaceful interfaith, non-denominational Meditation Centre. Amenities include an onsite library with religious books in different languages. Rotating Anglican, Roman Catholic, and Protestant church services are held daily at 11:00 AM. Location: Airside, Lounge 2, near the E Pier. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Airport Park – Enjoy a touch of the great outdoors from inside! Loungers, bean bag chairs, and exercise bikes are available in this green and leafy lounge. A pre-recorded birdsong adds to the relaxing atmosphere. Rate: Free Location: Airside, Lounge 1. Hours: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
- Hotels – see the “Airport Hotels” section above.
- Lounges – see the “Airport Lounges” section above.
- Massage-O-Matic – Enjoy a shiatsu massage chair which features relaxation with music. Duration: 5 minutes. Location: Landside: Arrivals 4. Airside: 6 different locations. Rate: 2,00€.
- XpresSpa – Stop by to enjoy a short 15-minute or long 30-minute chair massage. Facials, manicures, and pedicures are also available. Locations: Airside, D Pier, Level 1 • Airside, Lounge 2, Level 2 • Airside, Lounge 3, Level 1. Hours: all locations are open 7:00 AM – 2:30 PM.
- Duty-Free & Shopping – Tax-free shopping is available at all airside shops for all passengers. Prices are generally lower here than in most other stores in the Netherlands. Exceptions to the rule are books, magazines, and flowers, for which all passengers pay tax, and tobacco products, which are tax-free only for passengers (boarding pass required). In addition, you will find many shops to pass the time while at the airport.
Showers & Spa
- Shower – There are a few areas in the terminal where you can enjoy a shower:
- Mercure Hotel – Location: Airside, Lounge 3, Upper Level, piers F, G and H (opposite KLM Crown Lounge). Rate: € 19,50 (including towels and toiletries).
- YotelAir – Location: Airside, Lounge 2, Upper Level, piers D and E (opposite the M&M’s store). Two shower cabins are available. Rates: € 17.50 for up to 45 minutes (including towels and toiletries).
- Spa & Salon Services – There are a few spas and salons at Schiphol Airport:
- XpresSpa – Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and other express services are available at XpresSpa. Locations: Airside, D Pier, Level 1 • Airside, Lounge 2, Level 2 • Airside, Lounge 3, Level 1. Hours: all locations open 7:00 AM – 9:00 PM.
- Coiffure En Vogue – En Vogue – Update or clean up your look with a fresh hairstyle. Location: Landside, Arrivals 1, Plaza. Hours: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM (Mon – Fri) • 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Sat) • Closed (Sun).
- Smoking Rooms – Smoking is only permitted in one designated area before security controls. You will need to light up before passing through security at Jan Dellaertplein on the Plaza/Arrivals level, between Doors D & E.
Things to do on a Layover
- Library – This is the world’s first airport library inside. In addition to books, you can read or listen to music on the iPads. Rate: free. Location: Airside, Holland Boulevard. Hours: 24 hours.
- National Museum – The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam Schiphol contains a permanent exhibition of ten works of old masters from the 19th century. Rate: free. Location: Airside, on Holland Boulevard, between the E and F Pier. Hours: 24 hours.
- Panorama Terrace – The Panorama Terrace offers a great view of the aircraft and tarmac. Location: Second floor Hours: 7:00 AM – 9:00 PM.
Related Pages: Things to do on a Layover at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
More things to do away from the airport if you have the time:
- Museums: Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, Zaanse Schans
- Keukenhof, to view the tulip displays in Spring
- Madurodam, the miniature city, is open 365 days
- Delta Works, Canal trips and the village of Giethoorn
- Aviodrome, the National Aviation Theme Park
- The Floating Dutchman, a bus ride on the water. Departures: 10:00 AM, 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM (Wed-Sun)
Related Pages: Amsterdam Airport Layover Sightseeing
The airport is open 24 hours.
Do you want to make the most of your stopover or long layover by leaving the airport for sightseeing? Check out our Amsterdam Airport Layover Sightseeing guide or explore Things to do in Amsterdam on Tripadvisor.
Amsterdam airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Aeromexico • Air Arabia Maroc • Air Astana • Air Baltic • Air Canada • Air Europa • Air France • Air India • Air Malta • Air Serbia • Air Transat • Amelia • American Airlines • Arkia • Austrian Airlines • British Airways • Bulgaria Air • Cathay Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern • Corendon Airlines • Corendon Dutch Airlines • Croatia Airlines • Delta Air Lines • EasyJet • Egyptair • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • EVA Air • Finnair • FlyOne • Garuda Indonesia • Georgian Airways • Iberia • Icelandair • ITA Airways• Jetblue • Kenya Airways • KLM • Korean Air • Kuwait Airways • LOT • Lufthansa • Norwegian Air • Norwegian Air Shuttle • Pegasus Airlines • Play • Qatar Airways • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Jordanian • Ryanair • SAS • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Sky Express • Sun Express • Surinam Airways • Swiss • TAP Portugal • TAROM • Transavia • TUI Fly • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • UR Airlines • Vueling • Xiamen Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Schiphol Airport is served by buses from the city and surrounding regions. Bus stops for all bus lines can be found at Schiphol Plaza, a short walk from Arrivals. For rates, fares and schedules, visit the 9292.nl website.
AMS Airport is served onsite by the following car rental agencies: Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • Sixt. You can find these agencies in Schiphol Plaza, directly behind Arrivals 3.
Some hotels near Amsterdam Airport provide their own airport shuttle service: Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Airport • Best Western Amsterdam Airport Hotel • Courtyard Amsterdam Airport • Ibis Amsterdam Airport • Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport • NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport • Park Inn by Radisson Amsterdam Airport Schiphol • Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport • Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Uber operates throughout the Netherlands, but prices are expensive. A ride to the city centre will cost you about $40 – $60.
The airport offers standard taxis, travel taxis (good for groups), and business taxis (luxury service). The official taxi rank is located in front of Schiphol Plaza. For more information, visit the Schiphol Airport website.
Amsterdam Airport has a train station (connections throughout the city and for long-distance travel) located directly below the airport, accessible via Schiphol Plaza and Departure and Arrival Halls. A single-use chip card or OV-chipkaart can be used to ride on the NS (Dutch Railways), which can be purchased in the train station (see yellow machines with blue signs overhead). “Ticket and Service” desks, located next to the red and white checked cube, provide information and sell train tickets for domestic and international trains. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the NS website.
Last updated: 2023-09-08
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, is subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers, and their websites. We are not representatives of any of the above-mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.