Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
They have leather couches and some reclined chairs, not the most comfortable but I’ve had worse. Temperature was fine all night and not too many announcements, the only thing was a “mind your step” warning that went off every time someone walked past a sensor. – a guest reviewer
AMS Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport.
What to Expect
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (Code: AMS) consists of a single-terminal with three departure halls and six piers radiating off the halls. It is expected that travellers wait in the departure halls until notice boards indicate that flights are boarding. At that time, travellers head to the appropriate pier to find their boarding gate.
The departure halls are rife with creative airport amenities, including a casino, transit tours, fitness facilities, a library, a museum and designated rest zones. Travellers also have access to free WiFi and pay-to-use showers. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges – one of which includes showers – that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Amsterdam Airport
Amsterdam Airport has a wide range of places to sleep; however, if you are airside, you will fare better than those attempting to sleep landside.
Landside – Sleeping in the terminal is only permitted overnight, so you will not be allowed to lay across chairs or benches during flight operation hours. Starting at 12:00AM, security guards patrol the landside area to check ID and boarding passes. If you do not have a boarding pass, you will be escorted out of the airport and permitted re-entry at 4:00AM. One past reviewer recommended the cafe on the left side of the terminal.
Airside – There is plenty of armrest free seating. Specifically, there are padded chairs, soft benches and chaise lounges between Piers E and F in the internet area. There is also a green rest area with lounge and bean bag chairs before the D gates. Both locations tend to be popular with overnighters so it’s worth showing up early to snag a good seat!
No matter where you plan to sleep, earplugs or noise cancelling headphones and warm layers or a blanket will increase your comfort level. Reviewers have commented that the terminal can be both loud and cold at times. Explore our guide to sleeping in Amsterdam Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips.
If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep there is are sleep cabins and a transit hotel directly inside the airport’s secure zone, and other hotels nearby that are connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the guide below.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. If you have some time to spare please write a review, send a tip or share photos to help future travellers. To find out how Covid19 has changed procedures at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, you can read the latest updates here.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Amsterdam Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Nearest Hotel: Inside the Airport
Sleep Cabins or Pods: Yes
Day Rooms: Yes
Nearby Hotels with Free Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair isn’t really doing it for you, there is good news for those of you who are looking to sleep at Schiphol Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover, you don’t have to go through security as there are two transit hotels offering both short-term and overnight rates. Sleep pods, perfect for single travellers seeking some privacy, are also available. A number of nearby hotels can be found within walking distance or connected by free airport shuttles.
In Transit Mercure Schiphol Terminal – Located after Customs in the transit area of Lounge 3, 1st floor. Access via entry point between Gates E & F. From outside the airport, go through Departures Hall 3 and pass through security between check-in desk 22 and 23. Day rooms are available from 10:00AM to 7:00PM. You must have a passport and ticket for a flight departing same or next day. » Check Rates
In Transit YotelAir – Located in the airside/transit area of the main terminal, Lounge 2, near Pier D. Day use rooms are available in 4 hour blocks. There are also shower facilities that can be rented for 15,00€. Due to renovations inside the terminal, be advised that there may still be some construction noise. » Check Rates
In Transit Sleep Pods – Once you are airside (Concourse D, at XpresSpa), there are GoSleep pods for sleepy travellers to get some zzzz’s. Rates: unknown.
At Airport Sheraton Hotel – (2 min from the Arrivals Hall via covered walkway) Direct access from baggage claim. Day rooms available from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
At Airport Hilton Hotel – (7 minute walk from the airport terminals via covered walkway) The hotel is an easy walk from the main terminal. » Check Rates
At Airport citizenM hotel – (4 minute walk from Arrivals Hall 4) A trendy budget hotel within a short walk of the airport. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
Near Airport Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport – (7 minutes from the airport) A free airport shuttle departs approx. every 20 minutes from 4:45AM – 1:15AM. Pick-up from platform A9. » Check Rates
Near Airport NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport – (7 minutes from the airport) A free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Schiphol Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
The airport has 5 rest zones with reclining relaxation chairs. Locations: Gates D, Two locations near Gates E (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gate D (upstairs), Near the entrance to Gates C. These locations may have changed during the recent renovation. Rate: Free.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Aspire Lounge (No.26) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Schengen flights only. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Aspire Lounge (No. 41) – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Panorama Deck on the 3rd Floor. Non-Schengen flights only. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes British Airways Lounge – Location: Airside, Non-Schengen zone, 3rd Floor in Lounge 40. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Privium Lounges – Locations: Terminal 1, Lanside, Departures • Airside, Holland Boulevard. Lounge Access: Airport Membership.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
KLM Lounges – Locations: Airside, Lounge 1, Schengen Area, 2nd Floor, opposite D Pier • Airside, Non-Schengen, 2nd Floor, opposite F pier.
Star Alliance Lounge – Location: Airside, Schengen Area, 3rd Floor, next to Gate D.
Related Pages: Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Lounges
Free WiFi is available at the airport in 4 hour increments. Connect to the “Airport_Free_Wifi”. Once your 4 hours is up, you can re-join the network to start another free session. If you want to download or stream movies or files, a premium service is available for a fee, payable by credit card, debit card or vouchers purchased in the airport.
For travellers without their own mobile devices, computers with internet access are available for use in the Internet Centres. Your first 5 pages of printing are free. Locations: Airside – Pier C • Pier D • Lounge 1 • Lounge 2 • Lounge 4 • On the Holland Boulevard.
Charge your laptop while you get a little work done, by using one of the many work stations located throughout all airport departure lounge areas, as well as Piers C and D. Each workstation offers compact work space with built-in power outlets for charging. Charging stations are also available next to the blue or white payphones located throughout the airport.
- Airport Business Point – A waiting lounge at Schiphol Plaza where you wait for business associates or drivers. Location: Arrivals Hall 2. Hours: 9:00AM – 6:00PM.
- Citizen M Working Day Pass – Purchase a 24 hour pass (€15) for unlimited WiFi, water with unlimited refills, printing services (black & white only) and comfy seats in a funky, modern environment. Location: Citizen M Hotel on airport grounds. Hours: 24 hours. See Airport Hotels above.
- Conference Rooms – Exchange Avenue offers business travellers the ability to rent conference halls and boardrooms. Location: Departures Level 1, 3rd Floor. Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon – Fri).
- Work Stations – Set up your own office space at one of the work stations available for passengers. Free to use, the desks come equipped with power outlets. Locations: throughout all airport departure lounge areas, as well as Piers C and D.
- SIM Cards – Communicate cheaper and easier on your mobile phone with the purchase of a local SIM card. SIM cards are available for sale in the Airport Telecom Shop or at the Service Point.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Feed and care for your baby in privacy and comfort in the Babycare Lounge. Changing tables, seven infant bed cabins, wash basins, comfy seating and other amenities are available. Location: On Holland Blvd., between Departures Lounges 2 and 3. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Children’s Play Areas – Kids Forest is a forest-like play area where your kids can run around and burn off some steam before getting on the flight. Hours: Holland Boulevard.
- NEMO Science Museum – Kids will enjoy visiting the NEMO Science Museum where 8 interactive stations are available to learn about technology and science. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Fitness – The Sheraton Fitness & Spa offers a day pass that allows you unlimited use of gym, sauna and rainforest showers, steam room and spa area. Located: landside between Schiphol Plaza and the World Trade Centre. Rate: EUR 20. Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week. * The sauna and steam room are not available between 11:00AM – 6:00PM.
Food & Drinks
- Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Landside – Burger King (Plaza) • Grand Cafe Plaza (Arrivals 3) • Health Food Wall (Plaza) • Hello Goodbye Bar (Arrivals 1) • La Place Restaurant (Plaza) • Starbucks (Plaza).
- Airside – Amsterdam Bread Company (Lounge 2) • Bread! (Lounge 3) • Cafe Chocolat (Lounge 1) • Harvest Market (D-Pier) • Mediterranean Sandwich Bar (Lounge 1) • Park Cafe (Lounge 1) • Silverscreen Bar (E-Pier) • Starbucks (Lounge 1).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Lockers are available airside and allow storage up to 7 days. Locations: Holland Boulevard • Lounge 1 • Lounge 2 • Lounge 3. Longer luggage storage is available up to 30 days in the Baggage Storage Area. Location: Landside, basement level of the airport. Rates start at € 6, up to € 12 / item (depending on size), per 24-hour period. Heading somewhere warm? You can also store wardrobe items at € 2,50. Location: Landside, baggage depot between Arrivals 1 and 2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your luggage and its contents with Seal & Go shrink foil for a fee of € 12 per bag (or more for oversized bags). Location: Departures Hall 3, near hallway to Departures 2 (Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM) • Departure Halls 3,near Door C (Hours: 4:15AM – 8:00PM).
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available 24 hours a day at the First Aid Post. The First Aid Post also has its own pharmacy, located conveniently inside of the clinic, and a travel clinic (read Travel Clinic section below for details). You can enter the First Aid Post from its landside entrance in Departures Hall 2, one level above Check-In Desk 16, or its airside entrance on the 2nd floor of Lounge 2.
- Pharmacy – The Apotheek can be found Landside in Arrivals 1. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM. A pharmacy is also available onsite in the First Aid Post for patients of the clinic, open 24 hours.
- Travel Clinic – Medical advice and required vaccines for your destination are available at the First Aid Post Travel Clinic. Contact the travel clinic at least 4 weeks in advance, as some vaccines need to be given weeks before the journey in order to be effective. Location: At the First Aid Post. You can enter the First Aid Post from its landside entrance in Departures Hall 2, one level above Check-In Desk 16, or its airside entrance on the 2nd floor of Lounge 2. Hours: 8:30AM – 4:30PM.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Airside and Landside. Schiphol also offers the first bitcoin machine in Europe. Exchange your remaining remaining euros for bitcoins or erhereum (maximum redeemable amount is 100€). Location: Landside, Plaza.
- Banking Services – ABN AMRO offers full-service banking and foreign currency exchange at kiosks located throughout the airport. Some ABN AMRO ATMs dispense foreign currency. The ATM in Plaza only dispenses Euro. Hours: Vary, with most ABN AMRO desk locations open from 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Currency Exchange -GWK Travelex offers foreign currency exchange and foreign currency ATMs in these locations:
- GWK Travelex – Locations: Landside, Plaza, at GWK Bank • Airside, GH Hall • Airside, Departures Lounge 1, start of D Pier • Airside, Departures Lounge 3, start of F Pier. Hours: vary by location but most are open at least 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
- ABN AMRO – Locations: Landside Arrivals 1 • Arrivals 2 • Arrivals 3 • Arrivals 3, ABN AMRO Financial Center. Airside: Lounge 1 • Lounge 2. Hours: vary by location but most are open at least 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Prayer Rooms – Pray or meditate in the peaceful interfaith, non-denominational Meditation Centre. Amenities include an onsite library with religious books in different languages. Rotating Anglican, Roman Catholic, and Protestant church services are held daily at 11:00AM. Location: Airside, Lounge 2, near the E Pier. Hours: Open 24 hours. The Meditation Centre office is open 9:00AM – 5:00PM.
Rest & Relaxation
- Cots – In the event of bad weather or event resulting a massive flight cancellations, the airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of email we receive about this, we’ll also let you know that cots cannot be “reserved” and we don’t know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Hotels – see the “Airport Hotels” section above.
- Lounges – see the “Airport Lounges” section above.
- Massage-O-Matic – Enjoy a shiatsu massage chair which features relaxation with music. Duration: 8 minutes. Location: Landside, Arrivals 4. Airside: 9 different locations. Rate: 2,00€.
- XpresSpa – Stop by to enjoy a short 15 minute or long 30 minute chair massage. Facials, manicures, pedicures are also available. Locations: Airside, D Pier, Level 1 • Airside, Lounge 2, Level 2 • Airside, Lounge 3, Level 1. Hours: all locations open 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Tax-free shopping is available at all airside shops for all passengers. Prices are generally lower here than they are most other stores in the Netherlands. Exceptions to the rule are books, magazines, and flowers, for which all passengers pay tax, and tobacco products, which are tax-free only for passengers (boarding pass required). In addition, you will find many shops to pass the time while at the airport.
Showers & Spa
- Shower – There are a few areas in the terminal where you can enjoy a shower:
- Mercure Hotel – Location: Airside, Lounge 3, Upper Level, piers F, G and H (opposite KLM Crown Lounge). Rate: € 19,50 (including towels and toiletries).
- Free Showers – Location: Airside, Lounge 2, Upper Level, near the MAC Store and Xpress Spa. Follow the signs for the First Aid station. A reader alerted us to these free showers. Note: come prepared as no towels, shampoo, etc. are provided. Separate shower areas are provided for men and women.
- Yotel – Location: Airside, Lounge 2, Upper Level, piers D and E (opposite the M&M’s store). Two shower cabins are available. Rates: € 15.00 for up to 1 hour (including towels and toiletries).
- Spa & Salon Services – There are a few spas and salons at Schiphol Airport:
- XpresSpa – Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and other express services are available at XpresSpa. Locations: Airside, D Pier, Level 1 • Airside, Lounge 2, Level 2 • Airside, Lounge 3, Level 1. Hours: all locations open 7:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Sheraton Fitness & Spa – The Sheraton Hotel offers a day pass that allows non-guests unlimited use of gym, sauna and rainforest showers, steam room and spa area. Located: landside between Schiphol Plaza and the World Trade Centre. Rate: EUR 20. Hours: 24 hours / 7 days a week. * The sauna and steam room are not available between 11:00AM – 6:00PM.
- Coiffure En Vogue – En Vogue – Update or clean up your look with a fresh hairstyle. Location: Landside, Arrivals 1, Plaza.Hours: 9:00AM – 7:00PM (Mon & Sat) • 9:00AM – 9:00PM (Tues – Fri) • Closed (Sun).
- Smoking Rooms – Smoking is only permitted in designated areas inside and outside the terminal. Smoking is allowed indoors in specially-designed smoking rooms inside of Lounges 2 and 3. The rooms are conveniently located near restaurants and are clearly marked “Smoking Room”.
Things to do on a Layover
- Airport Park – Enjoy a touch of the great outdoors from inside! Loungers, bean bag chairs, and exercise bikes are available in this green and leafy lounge. A pre-recorded birdsong adds to the relaxing atmosphere. Rate: Free Location: Airside Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Casino – Why pay for a hotel room, when you can just as easily blow your money at the casino. Only at the casino do you actually have a chance of leaving with more money than you came in with. Location: Room 2, between Gates E and F. Hours: 6:30AM – 7:30PM.
- Library – This is the world’s first airport library inside. In addition to books, you can read or listen to music on the iPads. Rate: free.
- National Museum – The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam Schiphol contains a permanent exhibition of ten works of old master from the Golden Age. Location: Airside, on Holland Boulevard, between the E and F Pier. Hours: daily from 7:00AM – 8:00PM. Rate: free.
- Panorama Terrace – The Panorama Terrace offers a great view of the aircraft and tarmac. Location: between Arrivals 1 and 2 and 3. Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Winter) and 7:00AM – 9:00PM (Summer).
- Transit Tours – There is a tour company located in the terminal that offers transit tours. The stopover excursions are 2-3.5 hours in duration. See more sightseeing options for longer transits below.
More things to do away from the airport with more than 4 hour transit:
- Museums: Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, Zaanse Schans
- Keukenhof, to view the tulip displays in Spring
- Madurodam, the minitaure city is open 365 days
- Delta Works, Canal trips and the village of Giethoorn
- Aviodrome, the National Aviation Theme Park
- The Floating Dutchman, a bus ride on the water. Departures: 10:00AM, 1:00PM and 4:00PM (Wed – Sun)
Related Pages: Things to do on a Layover at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
The airport is open 24 hours.
Amsterdam airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Air • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Berlin • Air Europa • Air France • Air France • Air Malta • Alitalia • American Airlines • Arkia • Austrian Airlines • Azerbaijan Airlines • British Airways • Bulgaria Air • Cathay Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern • Corendon • Croatia Airlines • Cyprus Airways • Czech Airlines • Delta • easyJet • EgyptAir • El Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Iberia • Icelandair • Iran Air • Israir • Kenya Airways • KLM • Korean Air • LOT • Lufthansa • Onur Air • PIA • Pegasus Airlines • Rossiya • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Jordanian • SAS • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Sun d’Or • Sky Airlines • Surinam Airways • Swiss • TAP Portugal • TAROM • Transavia • Turkish Airlines • Tunisair • United Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • Ural Airlines • Vueling • Viking Hellas • Wind Jet • Xiamen Airlines.
Schiphol Airport served by buses from the city and surrounding regions. Bus stops for all bus lines can be found at Schiphol Plaza, a short walk from Arrivals. As of this update (June 2020), it is now mandatory to wear a face mask on the bus. The most notable bus line is Line 397 (Amsterdam Express), for rates, fares and schedules, visit the 9292.nl website.
AMS Airport is served onsite by the following car rental agencies: Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • Sixt. You can find these agencies in Schiphol Plaza, directly behind Arrivals 3.
Some hotels near Amsterdam Airport provide their own airport shuttle service. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle availability and service.
- Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM – 11:30PM, every 30 minutes, from platform A9)
- Best Western Amsterdam Airport Hotel
- Courtyard Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 6:30AM – 11:30PM, € 5 per ride)
- Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM – 11:40PM, every 40 minutes, pick-up from bus stop A9)
- Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM – 11:40PM, every 40 minutes, pick-up from bus stop A9)
- Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM – 11:40PM, every 40 minutes, , pick-up from bus stop A9)
- Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (Shuttle Hours: 6:30AM – 11:30PM , pick-up from Arrival Hall 4)
- Ibis Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 5:00AM – 1:00AM)
- Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 4:45AM – 1:15AM, every 20 minutes, pick-up from platform A9)
- NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM)
- Park Inn by Radisson Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours – every 20 minutes from 6:30AM – 11:40PM, then on demand throughout the rest of the night. Pick-up: departs from Schiphol Plaza at bus stops A9 to A13, located below the overpass to the WTC.)
- Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 5:30AM – 12:00AM, every 30 minutes)
- Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours – every 20 minutes from 6:30AM – 11:40PM, then on demand throughout the rest of the night. Pick-up: departs from Schiphol Plaza at bus stops A9 to A13, located below the overpass to the WTC)
- Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam (Shuttle Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM, twice per hour, pick-up from bus stop A9).
The airport offers standard taxis, travel taxis (good for groups) as well as business taxis (luxury service). The official taxi rank is located in front of Schiphol Plaza. For more information, visit the Schiphol Airport website.
Amsterdam Airport has a train station (connections throughout the city as well as connection for long distance travel) located directly below the airport, accessible via Schiphol Plaza and Departure and Arrival Halls. A single-use chipcard or OV-chipkaart can be used to ride on the NS (Dutch Railways), which can be purchased in the train station (see yellow machines with blue signs overhead). “Ticket and Service” desks, located next to the red and white checked cube, provide information and sell train tickets for both domestic and international trains. For fares, routes and schedule, visit the NS website.
Last updated: 2020-10-20
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.