London Luton Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our London Luton Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The absence of seating has long been a source of complaint of other passengers, and as a result it is likely that you will have to walk around a sprawling mass of bodies on the way to your departure gate. This often resembles the aftermath of a humanitarian disaster, which in many ways is exactly what it is. - a traveller
source: jnpet / wikipedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at London Luton Airport.
What to Expect
- The Luton airport has a single terminal.
- 24 hour concession options can be found both landside and airside.
- This airport is reportedly quite busy, with long and difficult security lines.
- Some reviewers warned of dirty bathrooms and seats, so you might want to pack hand sanitizer and tissues.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Good sleeping spots may be hard to come by at this airport. Reviewers recommended the benches in the arrivals area, landside, as the best option.
- Several reviewers mentioned homeless people or unusual characters at this airport. If you are a solo traveler, be sure to stay on your guard.
- Reviewers warned that this airport is noisy, crowded, and very cold. We definitely recommend earplugs and warm layers if you want to sleep.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our London Luton Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at London Luton airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Airside, 1st Floor opposite Monsoon Store. Hours: 4:30AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£24.99 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available for 4 hours. Connect to the “Luton Airport WIFI” network for access. For additional time, there is a faster premium service for £3 per hour, or if you already have an account with a roaming WiFi provider, you can access it by connecting to the “roaming partners” network and then logging in.
If sleeping in London Luton Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Holiday Inn Express London Luton Airport - (10 min walk or 5 min ride from the airport) This hotel does not run an airport shuttle, but is located near a First Capital Connect shuttle bus station, a free shuttle which links to the Luton Airport Parkway train station.
- Ibis Hotel - (10 min walk from the terminal) No airport shuttle.
- Holiday Inn Luton Airport - (20 min walk or 5 min ride from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Hampton by Hilton London Luton Airport - (5 min ride from the airport) This hotel does not run an airport shuttle, but can be accessed by Arriva Buses, a paid shuttle service that runs every 12 minutes from 6:00AM to Midnight (every 30 min outside of those hours) from Stop 8 (outside the main terminal). Arriva Bus is GBP 1.50 per person, cash only, payable to the bus driver.
- Premier Inn Luton Airport - (4 min ride from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near London Luton on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available in the Check-In area, the Departures area and the Arrivals area. These ATMs dispense Sterling and Euro.
- Baby Care Facilities - Diaper changing rooms are available throughout the airport, located next to the men’s/women’s restrooms. If you need a quiet, private place to breastfeed your baby, a Passenger Service Assistant can show you to the nearest place.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - International Currency Exchange (ICE) offers foreign currency exchange, Western Union money transfers, and more. Locations: Departures, near the entrance and Check-In desks (landside) - two kiosks are available • Departure Lounge (airside) • Arrivals (landside).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Aelia Duty Free shop, located airside, is open from 3:30AM until last flight. A small variety of retail shops are available airside, and there is a WHSmith newsstand open both landside and airside.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Landside: Costa (in Arrivals) • Food Village • Starbucks • The Great British Sausage Company
- Airside: Wasabi
- Ready-to-eat meals and snacks are also available at Mark & Spencer Simply Food grocery store, open 24 hours a day in the Arrivals area.
- Information Desk - Location: Check-In Hall, landside, near the entrance to security
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: next to Outsize Baggage in the Check In Concourse. Rates: : £5.00 per item first 2 hours, 2-24 hours £10.00. Each additional 24 hrs or part thereof is £5.00 per day. Hours: open 24 hours. The maximum storage time is 3 months.
- Luggage Trolleys - Rate: £2 / €2 - non refundable. Payment by cash or card.
- Mobile Charging - Power up your mobile devices for free at the free phone charging station near Starbucks Location: Departure Lounge, airside.
- Passenger Service Assistants - Need help finding your way around the airport? Passenger Service Assistants are available throughout the airport to answer your questions, set you in the right direction or even assist you with getting help for a medical emergency. They’re easy to spot - just look for their brightly-colored clothing with the “i” information symbol, or you can pick up a red courtesy phone to call for assistance.
- Prayer Room - Prayer books, prayer mats, a directional sign, washing facility and more are available in the interfaith Prayer Room. A multi-faith chaplaincy team is available onsite to offer comfort and emotional support. Location: Departures lounge, airside Hours: The prayer room is open 24 hours a day, to travelers of all faiths or the non-religious
- Printing Stations - If you need a boarding pass, travel itinerary or a page or two of a document printed, come to the Excess Baggage department for assistance. Rate: £5.00 per print job. Location: Check-In area, landside, Departures Level, opposite Bar des Voyages.
- Showers - Not available
- Smoking Areas - There are no designated smoking areas inside the terminal.
- Supermarket - If you need to pick up groceries on the way to your destination in or around London, Mark & Spencer Simply Food offers a selection of wines, deli goods, snacks and everyday grocery items. Location: Arrivals Hours: Open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Bus / Coach
The following bus services operate at Luton Airport:
easyBus - Provides nonstop service between the airport (Bay 9) and London Liverpool Street rail station, and service between the airport (Bay 10) and London Victoria Coach station. Fares start at £2 each way, and can be booked online.
GreenLine - GreenLine 757 runs between the airport (Bay 7) and London Victoria Coach station.
Local Buses - Buses from the surrounding areas of Dunstable, Harpenden, Leighton Buzzard, Luton Town Centre, Milton Keynes, St Albans and Watford operate out of Bay 8 and 9.
Luton - Dunstable Guided Busway - A bus service that runs between the airport and Dunstable, Houghton Regis, Luton and Toddington.
Metroline - The Route 714 Barnet to Luton service runs direct between New Barnet Station, London Colney, Harpenden, St Albans, Luton Station and Luton Airport terminal.
National Express - With over 200 services running day and night, National Express is the most prevalent bus company operating at Luton Airport. National Express provides multiple daily transfers between Luton Airport (Bays 4, 5, 6 and 10) to Gatwick and Stansted Airports, as well as direct services from the airport to central London, Northampton, High Wycombe, Oxford, Leicester, Nottingham, Coventry, Birmingham and Cambridge.
Stagecoach - Route 99 runs between the airport (Bay 7) and Luton Airport Parkway railway station, Luton Town Centre, Central Milton Keynes and Milton Keynes railway station.
Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt are available onsite at Luton Airport. Location: Car Hire Centre. Free shuttle buses between the terminal and the car hire centre are available.
Licensed taxis, also known as “hackney carriages”, are readily available outside of the airport terminal. Hackney carriages can be hailed on the street for rides to the airport.
Luton Airport Parkway Station is served by Thameslink and East Midlands trains, with trains traveling from central London, the Midlands, and northern and southern England. The airport terminal is connected to the rail station by a 10-minute shuttle bus ride. For those traveling by train who do not have a through ticket to the airport, the shuttle bus costs £1.60 for a one-way ticket or £2.70 for a roundtrip ticket (cash only, children are half-price). The service runs every 10 minutes from 5:00AM - 12:00AM, or according to train schedule for the overnight trains.
Last Updated: 07 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.