London Stansted Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our London Stansted Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Its just the biggest youth hostal I have ever seen... So many people all over, in the seats, on the ground, and wherever you can imagine. -phabioo
July 2015 - So it's the first time I have been back to Stansted since they finished all the changes. Arrived at Stansted at about 11pm with my flight out at 7am the next day. Hate to say it, but Stansted has gotten worse for people wanting to save a bit of money on a hotel and sleep over in the airport. The only benches/seats are opposite the Arrivals and is in the middle of the shops that are on landside, which makes it a bit hard to get some sleep. There is a fair few benches, however by getting to the airport at 11pm, this was already too late. The majority of the benches have armrests along them so you can't stretch out, however there are a small handful that have 3 spaces with no armrests so these are like gold dust! Head into the Costa and buy a drink and try and grab a seat somewhere, the staff are happy to let you sleep in there as long as you brought something, other than that you'll be stuck to the cold floor somewhere else in the terminal. Grated, if you are happy with a cold hard floor, you can escape to a quiet part where you can grab 40 winks. Overall, I will still sleep over in the airport again due to the cheap airlines having flights nice and early, but next time I might take a roll mat/inflatable bed.
Have you been to London Stansted Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at London Stansted airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Escape Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 8:30PM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£19.99) • Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at London Stansted Airport for 60 minutes. Connect to the " _stanstedairport" network. Additionally, Internet kiosks are also available. Locations: Domestic Arrivals (Landside) • Departure Lounge (Airside) • International Arrivals (Landside)
If sleeping in Stansted Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport - (2 min walk from the terminal) Connected via covered walkway. Day rooms for 4 & 8 hour blocks are offered between the hours of 8:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Holiday Inn Express London Stansted Airport - (5 min from the airport) Shuttle bus operates every 30 minutes from 4am to 12:45am (£3.00 per person, 17 and under free).
- De Salis Hotel Stansted - (5 min from the airport) The hotel’s airport shuttle runs every 20 minutes, 24-hours a day, for GBP 4.50 per person (discounts given for parties of 2 or more). Airport pick-up is available on demand (until Midnight) by calling the hotel from the Express Pick Up/Set Down between the coach station (2 min from Arrivals). Pre-booking your airport pick-up is recommended, but not necessary.
- Hilton London Stansted Airport - (6 min from the airport) Shuttle bus operates from 4:15am to 1am (£3.00 per person, 16 and under free). The shuttle bus departs Coach Station Bay 27 at the airport on the hour and 30 minutes past the hour. The shuttle bus departs the hotel for the airport every 15 and 45 minutes past the hour.
- Warmans Barn Hotel - (8 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Premier Inn Stansted Airport Hotel - (15 min from the airport) Shuttle bus operates every 30 minutes starting from 3:45 am ( £3.00 per person, 15 and under free). Drop-off and pick-up point is at Coach Station Bay 28.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Stansted Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Arcade Games - Location: Voyageur Entertainment (Landside and Airside)
- ATM - Locations: Cash machines can be found throughout the airport (Landside and Airside).
- Family Services - The following services are available for families travelling with children:
- Baby Changing Facilities - There are over 10 locations that have baby changing facilities: Landside, in Zone A • Airside, near the gates • Arrivals Area, near the baggage reclaim.
- Baby Milk - Boots Drugstore is located Airside and offers pre-order service for baby milk, simply place your order 5 days before your travel and pick up post security, freeing up space in your hand luggage for other essentials.
- Baggage Trolleys - available for a refundable deposit of £1, €1 or $0.25 coin. You will find change machines in the international and domestic baggage claim halls.
- Chapel - Location: Landside, Check-in Zone J, opposite Caffè Alba. Hours: 5am-11pm
- Currency Exchange - Location: Moneycorp has three locations: after security • arrivals • baggage claim hall.
- Games - Voyager Entertainment offers video games for the "big" kids. Location: Landside and Airside.
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: 3.50 BP book online before 10 PM.
- Food & Drinks -
There are several 24 hour food and coffee concessions.
»Landside: Burger King (Arrivals) • Costa Coffee (Arrivals) • Gourmet Hotdog • Joe's Coffee House • M&S
- Information Desk - There is an Information Deck located in the International Arrivals area. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage storage / Lockers - Location: International Arrivals Hall, Landside, at the Airport Services Desk. Hours: Open 24 hours. Rate: £10 per 24 hours. Most major credit and debit cards can be used for payment.
- Pharmacy - Location: Boots, after security (airside). Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Prayer Room - Located landside in Check-In Zone J, opposite Caffe Alba. If you enter, please be respectful of the people who do use the facility for prayer. You may be asked to leave by security. Open from 05:00 - 23:00.
- Shopping - In addition to a World Duty Free store, there are other stores such as Body Shop • Fat Face • Glorius Britain • Hamleys • JD Sports • Next • Rituals • WHSmith.
- Showers - At one point there were free showers in the Departures area (Airside) and another in the International Arrivals area (Landside). Recent renovations may have changed this situation, as a reviewer in Nov 2014 was unable to find them.
- Smoking - There are no designated smoking areas inside the terminal. Once you have passed through security, there will be nowhere to smoke.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The following car rental companies are located at the airport: Alamo • Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • National • Sixt.
Coaches run from Stansted to London destinations including Liverpool Street, Victoria, Stratford and Baker Street. All services call at the airport coach station, directly opposite the terminal.
If you need to transfer to one of the other London airports, National Express operates inter-airport coach service.
- To Heathrow - departs every 60 minutes. Journey time is 90 minutes. Fare £27
- To Gatwick - departs every 30-60 minutes. Journey time is 2 hours 45 minutes. £33.40
- To Luton - departs every 30-60 minutes Fare £13.80
- To City Airport - departs every 30 minutes. Fare £10.00
Stansted Airport's bus and coach station is opposite the main terminal entrance. Tickets can be bought at the ticket desk in arrivals (open 6am-1am), in the coach station (24 hours, seven days a week) or on board. Bus fares and times are subject to change, so confirm with the operator before you travel. For more details on schedules, visit the Stansted Airport web site.
Stansted Airport rail station is directly below the Terminal building. Tickets can be purchased in advance, at the station or in the terminal. Regular services link the airport with central London, eastern England and the Midlands.
Trains to London: The Stansted Express runs every 15 minutes and reaches London Liverpool Street in 47 minutes. Trains depart from Stansted Airport rail station.
London Underground connections are available at Liverpool Street and Tottenham Hale (on the Stansted Express line). Fares start from £12 when two or more people travel.
Trains to eastern England and Birmingham: CrossCountry Trains: Long-distance services link the airport with Cambridgeshire and the Midlands.
Hourly daytime service, reduced on Sundays. Journey times (approx): Cambridge 35 min; Leicester 2 hr 30 min; Birmingham 3 hr 25 min. Fares vary, discounts for advance booking.
The 24x7 Stansted Airport Taxi is the official taxi provider for Stansted Airport. The reservation desk is located in the international arrival concourse. There is also a courtesy telephone located in the Domestic Baggage Reclaim area.
@AirportSleeper ..wtf...no seats at all at stansted now ...its going to be a very long night :-(— Dinah Hancock (@dinksdinah) February 18, 2014
Last Updated: 13 August 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.