About This Airport:
- > Airport Guide
- > Airport Hotels
- > Airport Hours
- > Airport Lounges
- > Airport WiFi
- > Services, Facilities & Things to Do At The Airport
- > Read all Reviews
- > Vote in the 2014
Best & Worst Airports Survey
London Stansted Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our London Stansted Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of nearby hotels if you really can't handle sleeping in the terminal.
Its just the biggest youth hostal I have ever seen... So many people all over, in the seats, on the ground, and wherever you can imagine. -phabioo
photo by Renato [ submit a photo ]
Sleep in Section K. It is towards the end of the terminal, no doors open throughout the night, it is near a 24 hour cafe, toilets are nearby.
Only power outlet I found was behind the coke machine. Set yourself up near there.
Get there relatively early, around 9pm or 10.
Make sure you get a bench with no armrests between seats. I had to drag my original one 50m across the terminal to swap it for a better one. Yes everyone was looking at me as I did it and yes I had a much more comfortable sleep than they did.
If you arrive too late for a bench, sleep under one of the pillars with ads on each of its sides. Almost like a pseudo 'pod'.
Make friends with someone so you can mind each other's stuff if you need to go toilet etc.
Burger King is good for cheap and healthy food.
Wifi is through Boingo which is around 4 pounds a month. Make sure you remember to cancel it after a month thought because I think it is a subscription. Although it did seem to be useful in many other cities I went to.
Make sure you wake up in time. There are many other early morning flights. Checkin security train to gate can take some time.
The last review for this airport was in 2013. Have you been there recently? Tell us about it!
If there is such a thing as a budget traveller's airport, it is London Stansted airport or Camp Stansted as we lovingly refer to it here. Every night - throughout the year - budget travellers descend upon this airport awaiting the departure of their early morning RyanAir flights. The airport has become so popular that you must arrive early in order to secure a good spot. Some nights "early" may mean 10PM. During the busy summer months you would not be foolish to arrive at 8PM. If it is your first time at Stansted airport, you will be able to easily identify the regular Camp Stansted Sleepers as they will be the people inflating their air mattress or erecting their tents off in the corner. When you see the hundreds of sleeping bodies all over the floor during peak airport sleeping season, it will be a sight to behold. With its liberal airport sleeping policies, the availability of food, showers and left luggage 24 hours a day, we consider Stansted Airport to be very airport sleeper friendly - if not entirely comfortable. Just get there early, bring your air mattress and be quiet - there will be many other people trying to sleep!
There are pay-per-use airport lounges found Airside.
- No. 1 Stansted at Gate 16 - Location: Satellite 1, airside, Gate 16. Hours: 4am-2pm. Rate: £17.50 per person for 3 hours (book online).
- No. 1 Stansted at Gate 49 - Location: Satellite 3, airside, Gate 49 (Ryan Air uses this lounge). Hours: 430am - 9pm. Lounge Access: £17.50 per person for 3 hours (book online).
- Servisair Lounge - Location: Satellite 1, airside, between Gates 1-19 on the departures level. Hours: 515am - 9pm
60 minutes free WiFi is available at the London Stansted Airport.
Internet kiosks are also available. Locations: Domestic Arrivals (Landside), Departure Lounge (Airside) and International Arrivals (Landside)
If sleeping in the Stansted Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Radisson Blu - 2 minute walk from the terminal via an undercover walkway. Day rooms for 4 & 8 hour blocks are offered.
- Premier Inn - 15 minutes from the airport. The shuttle bus operates every 30 minutes starting at 345am. Last departure not known as of this update. ( £3.00 per person)
- Hilton Hotel - 10 minutes from the airport. Shuttle bus available 430am-100am (£3.00 per person)
- Holiday Inn Express - 5 minutes from the airport. Shuttle bus operates every 30 minutes from 4am-1am ( £3.00 per person).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Stansted Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATM - Locations: Cash machines can be found throughout the airport (Landside and Airside)
- Car Rentals - Alamo • Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • National.
- Chapel - Location: Landside, Check-in Zone J, opposite Caffè Alba. Hours: 5am-11pm
- Games - Voyager Entertainment offers video games for the "big" kids. Location: Landside and Airside
- Food / Dining -
There are several 24 hour food and coffee establishments (land side).
»Landside: Burger King • Caffe Alba • Ponti's • Starbucks • Caffè Italia Pronto • Costa Coffee • Gourmet Hotdog
»Airside: The airside restaurants and cafes open at 4AM and close after the last flight.
- Information Desk - There is an Information Deck located in the International Arrivals area. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage storage / Lockers - Located between check-in Zones G-H. Open 24 hours. £10 per 24 hours. As from 1st April 2012 cash or cheques will no longer be accepted for payment at the left luggage. All major credit and debit cards with the exception of American Express may be used.
- Prayer Room - Located landside in Check-In Zone J, opposite Caffe Alba. If you enter, please be respectful of the people who do use the facility for prayer. You may be asked to leave by security. Open from 05:00 - 23:00.
- Showers -
There are free showers available in the Departures area (Airside) and another in the International Arrivals area (Landside). Towels are not included, but you may be able rent one from the Information Desk.
open 24 hours
Terminal Quick Tips
- there are padded benches that will make nice beds, but seating is limited so get there early.
- It will likely be cold, so bring warm clothes
- the airport is often crowded at night, so get there early
- there are frequent announcements and construction noise, so bring some ear plugs
Click to download the London Stansted Terminal Map
Airport Transportation: Getting There
- Bus - Express buses operate overnight service between Liverpool Street Station (via Stratford) when the trains are not running. Journey time 65 minutes. Fare £17. There are several other coach services that you can find in the coach station opposite the terminal. Fares to the city center £2-15
- Train - take the Stansted Express train from London Underground Stations Tottenham Hale (Victoria Line) or Liverpool Street (Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines) . Journey Time 35 - 46 minutes. The train runs 05:20- 01:30 depending on the day of week and train. Check the schedule online. £18
- Taxi - A taxi journey into London for one to four people costs about £99
- Bicycle - feeling energetic? You can ride your bike to the airport. The airport offers a free bike shelter near the short stay car park.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
Getting around the terminal is easy. If you need to transfer to one of the other London airports, National Express operates inter airport coach service.
- To Heathrow - departs every 60 minutes. Journey time is 90 minutes. Fare £23
- To Gatwick - departs every 30-60 minutes. Journey time is 2 hours 45 minutes. £30
- To Luton - departs every 30-60 minutes Fare £12
London Travel Resources
- London Hotels - search for deals, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 09 April 2012 | Sources: London Stansted Airport
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.