Riga Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Riga Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Of the many airports I have slept at overnight, this one rates as the best.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Riga International Airport.
What to Expect
- A clean and modern international airport with four terminals (A, B, C and D). A variety of shops, restaurants and services are available, mostly located landside, so do your shopping and eating before you clear security!
- Speaking of eating, restaurants close at night, so have some food and beverage handy for late night snacking!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Plenty of power outlets throughout the airport
Where to Sleep
- Riga Airport is sleeper-friendly! Benches are plentiful in this airport, and in lounges and retail areas in the airport, soft couches can be found. In Departures Sector E (2nd floor), purchase a snack or drink from the Sweet Delights cafe and enjoy a night on one of their soft leather couches. In Arrivals Sector C, couches and comfortable seating can be found near Pascucci Cafe. If you have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy, there is ample empty floor space to set up a home base for the night. Airside has plenty of comfortable leather couches, but lacks shops and restaurants.
- The airport can get cold at night, so come prepared with a blanket and/or warm clothes.
- Overhead announcements are kept to a minimum at night, but could still be disturbing to light sleepers, so have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones to block them out. Have a sleep mask handy too, in case the airport lights are too bright.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Riga Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Riga airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Primeclass Schengen Business Lounge - Location: Terminal E, airside. Showers are available. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (40.00 EUR/ LVL 28.11) • Book Online (£25.00)
- Primeclass Non-Schengen Business Lounge - Location: Terminal C, airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (40.00 EUR/ LVL 28.11)
Free WiFi is available at the Riga Airport for an unlimited amount of time. Connect to the "RIX-Free-WiFi" network. After surfing for 15 minutes you will be required to watch an advertisement in order to continue. We hear the WiFi is fast enough to stream movies or make video calls!
Additionally, computer stations with internet access are available in Coffee Nation, located Airside.
If sleeping in Riga Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sky High Hotel - (2 minute walk from the airport terminal) The only hotel located on airport grounds. No airport shuttle.
- Best Western Hotel Mara - (5 minutes from the airport) Shuttle Hours: on request. Shuttle fee is € 5.00 each way. Call +371 67702718 to request your pick-up.
- ABC Hotel Airport- (5 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are provided by Baltic Taxi, 5,70€ per person, each way.
- Balta Maja - (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Riga Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tour - The airport offers a 1 hour airport tour that should be pre-booked. Location: Welcome to Riga office, 1st Floor, Arrivals Area E.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - ICE has exchange counters Landside, Departures sector "E" and arrivals sector "C". Eurex offers foreign exchange services in the Airside at arrival, arrivals sector "E" and departures sector "E". Hours: vary according to flight times.
- Chapel - Location: 3rd Floor. Hours: open 24 hours
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available (7 locations) as well as a small variety of shops to choose from including 3 locations of Narvesen (magazines, drinks, newspapers, etc.)
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24 hour food concessions at the Riga Airport; however, you will find options available Airside that operate at least an hour before flight times until the last flight leaves.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Location: Arrivals, Sector E, 1st Level. Rates: from 1.05 LVL /1.50 EUR per item per 8 hours in the first 24 hour period • 2.11 LVL /3 EUR per item per 24 hours starting from the second 24 hours. There is also a cloackroom where you can leave winter coats if you are travelling to sunny destination that won't require them.
- Luggage Wrapping - Available on the second floor, landside, in the registration sector "F".
- Pharmacy - Location: Public area, 2nd floor, Departures sector E. Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM.
- Post Office - Available on the first floor, in arrival sector "E". Hours: 8:30AM-1PM and 2PM-5PM (Mon-Fri).
- Printing - if you forgot to print your boarding pass, you can use the internet terminal located at the "Welcome Riga" office. Location: 1st Floor, Arrivals Area E. €
- Showers - Showers are avilable in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Bus 22 travels a direct 30-minute route between the airport and the city center (via Abrenes Street), with departures every 10 - 30 minutes. A one-way single-trip ticket costs €2 if purchased on board from the bus driver, but only €1.15 if purchased in advance at the Welcome to Riga information office. A 24-hour unlimited trip ticket is also available for €5. The airport bus stop is located behind Car Park P1, which is opposite the airport terminal. For timetables and route information, go to the Rīgas satiksme website.
Minibus 222 runs between the airport and Riga Central Station (Centrālā stacija), via Satekles iela in a 30-minute journey. Minibus 241 runs between the airport and Esplanāde - Zolitūde, via Brīvības bulvāris. Both minibuses stop outside, in front of the Arrivals terminal. Due to their small size and seating, minibuses may not be ideal for passengers who are traveling with a lot of luggage. At the time of this update, a one-way ticket costs €1. For timetables and route information, visit the Rīgas satiksme website.
Riga Airport is also served by the following international bus service providers: Go Baltics International Bus Lines (service to Vilnius (Latvia), Tallinn (Estonia), Minsk (Belarus) and Warsaw (Poland)); Lux Express luxury international coaches, and their low-cost line Simple Express (service to Tallinn, Vilnius, Warsaw, Berlin, St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad and Minsk); OLLEX minibuses (service to Siauliai, Plungė and Klaipėda in Lithuania). The International bus stop is in front of Car Park P1, opposite the airport terminal.
The following car rental agencies operate onsite in Arrivals sector E: Avis, Budget, Europcar and Sixt. Hours: vary according to flight times.
Taxis are readily available just outside of the Arrivals Hall. There are two types of taxis: green-colored SIA Baltic Taxis and AS Rīgas Taksometru Parks Taxis (“Red Cabs”). For safety and reliability, use the services of either company for trips to or from the airport. At the time of this update, a one-way journey between the airport and city center takes around 15 minutes and costs between €11.38 - € 14.23. Taxi rates are displayed on the passenger doors of all licensed taxis.
Last Updated: 28 April 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.