Zurich Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Zurich Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I found the airport very beautiful. It's big and a lot of very helpful people who spoke with me in my language. -mayss94
Photo credit: Zurich Airport
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Zurich Airport.
What to Expect
- Airport staff are generally tolerant of overnight travellers - though you should expect security or police to check your passport and tickets overnight.
- The airport has three terminals: A, B/D, and E. A and B/D connect from the main Airside Center. A is exclusively used to Schengen-area flights. Terminal B/D is used for both Schengen and non-Schengen area. Terminal E is newer, used for longer-haul international flights, and connected to the Airside Center via underground Skymetro.
- The facilities are generally modern and very clean.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- If you can get to Airside, post-security, most of the gates are quiet from 11pm on so you can have some privacy.
- The Airside Center does not have many comfortable lounge chairs, but enough benches to at least stretch out on. It’s generally not crowded overnight.
- Generally quiet overnight, starts getting busy again after 5am.
- The airport can be very cold and bright, so bring layers and an eye mask.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel and a hotel connected to the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available for a fee in two locations.
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass to relax in several airport lounges; showers are available in one. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Zurich Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Zurich airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Dnata Skyview Lounge - Location: Airside, 2nd floor of Airside Center - Access via Check-In # 1 and Check-In # 2. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (CHF 32) • Book Online (£28.00) • Priority Pass.
- Swiss International Airlines Lounge - Location: Airside, Airside Center, 2nd Floor of the Airside Center and access is from Check-in 1 or Check-in 2. Hours: 5:45AM - 10:45PM (Daily) • Priority Pass.
- Swiss Lounge D - Location: Airside, Non-Schengen Area, Transit Area D. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 8:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Airside, Schengen Area, 3rd floor of Airside Center. Hours: 5:30AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£28.00).
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Airside, Midfield Terminal E, Non-Schengen Area, 2nd Floor, above Gate E45. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£28.00) • Priority Pass.
Airline Lounges that require a first or business class ticket or elite membership: Emirates Lounge > SKYTEAM Lounge > Swiss Arrival Lounge > Swiss Business Lounge > Swiss First Lounge > Swiss Senator Lounge > Swiss Senator/Business Lounge
Free WiFi is available at Zurich Airport for 2 hours. Connect to the “ZurichAirport” network. After you register, you will receive a code by text message (if you are unable to receive an SMS, head to a boarding pass scanner to receive your access code). After the 2 hour time limit, you can wait 5 hours for another free 2-hour time period, or you can purchase additional time at 6.90 CHF for 1 hour, 9.90 CHF for 4 hours, or 14.90 CHF for 24 hours.
Additionally, internet kiosks are available both landside and airside. The first 60 minutes are free.
If sleeping in Zurich Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Transit Hotel - Located in the transit area at Gates B/D. The transit hotel offers private rooms and a rest area. The private rooms are equipped with beds, television and sink with running water. The rest and relaxation area has 12 bed-style seats in private cubicles. Blankets are provided. Showers are included in the cost of the room and sleep chairs. Bath towel, toiletries and hair dryers are provided. Single Rates: CHF 45 (3 hours), CHF 59 (6 hours), CHF 75 (more than 6 hours). Double Rates: CHF 59 (3 hours), CHF 79 (6 hours), CHF 99 (more than 6 hours). The rest & relaxation area rates are: CHF 20 (3 hours), CHF 25 (6 hours), CHF 30 (more than 6 hours). Email the hotel at email@example.com to make a reservation.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Zurich Airport - (2 min walk to the airport terminal) Connected to the airport terminal via walkway.
- Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport- (5min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs from 5:00AM to 11:45PM (seat reservation suggested).
- NH Zurich Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle bus runs from 5:35AM to 11:35PM daily. Day rooms are available 9:00AM to 6:00PM. The shower rooms are available for non-guests at a rate of CHF 35.
- Mövenpick Hotel Zürich-Airport - (7 min from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle operates from 5:10AM to 11:45PM.
- Park Inn by Radisson Zurich Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle runs daily from 5:00AM to 11:30PM (seat reservation suggested)
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Zurich Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Tours - Sightseeing tours take you behind the scenes to the aprons, Pier A, and the Airside Center, and then through the tunnel beneath runway 28 to Pier E, where you can get out of the bus and enjoy a close-up view of aircraft landing and taking off. Duration: 1 hour 15min. Departures: tours for individuals depart on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Check the Observation Deck for the current schedule. Rate: CHF 8.00 (adults) / CHF 4.00 (child). Location: purchase tickets at the observation deck.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available 24 hours a day, located throughout landside and airside areas of the airport terminal.
- Currency Exchange - There are many options for foreign exchange located both Airside and Landside, including locations with 24 hour ATM currency dispensers.
- Duty Free and Shopping - The airport offers multiple Duty Free shops as well as enough shops for a small shopping center. There are 2 branches of Coop Food Pronto (Airport Center) that are open 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Family Services - To ease the burden of travel for families with children, Zurich Airport has provided two Family Services rooms. Each room has diaper changing tables, baby care products for sale, rooms for sleeping and breastfeeding, kitchenette with microwave and utensils, and a large and colorful playroom with toys for the little ones and Playstation and computer games for older children. Babysitting is not available, but the rooms have child care specialists on hand for assistance and support. Locations: airside, at the A Gates (next to transfer desk) Hours: 6:30AM - 10:00PM • airside, at the E Gates, 1st Floor, Arrival Level West Hours: 7:00AM - 1:00PM. Strollers are available for use in the airport for children 4 years old and under. You can pick one up at check-in and leave it at your gate before departing. Rate is CHF 5.00 per stroller (cash only). Location: Check-In 1 or 2, Careport Counter.
- Food / Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Information Desk - There are five Service & Information Desks. Locations: Arrival 1 (Hours: 7:30AM - 10:30PM) • Arrival 2 (Hours: 5:45AM - 11:30PM) • Service Center Car Park P2 (Hours: 6:00AM - 11:30PM) • Check-in 2 (Hours: 5:30AM - 8:30PM) • Airside Center (Hours: 6:15AM - 1:30PM and 3:30PM - 9:00PM).
- Luggage Storage - Enjoy a hands-free layover! Store your luggage at the left luggage storage room. Rates are as follows: €5 - €7 per bag for 4 hours, €5 - €9 per bag for up to 12 hours, €5 - €12 per bag for up to 24 hours. Maximum storage period is three months (regular luggage) or 12 hours (for shopping bags). Luggage can also be stored in the coin-operated lockers for a maximum of 72 hours. CHF and Euro coins are accepted. Location: next to the Service Center near car park pay station 2. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:30PM (storage room) • Open 24 hours (lockers).
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the Airport Medical Center in Prime Center 1. Hours: 7:30AM - 8:30PM Urgent and emergency dental care is available at the Airport Dental Services clinic. Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM. Urgent/emergency eye care is available at the Airport Medical Center Eye Clinic from 8:00AM - 5:30PM Mon-Fri. All clinics can be found in Airport Center, near Check-In 1. There is also an ambulatory physical therapy and rehabilitation center (RehaCenter Zurich Airport). Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM Mon-Thurs / 7:30AM - 4:00PM Fri All clinics listed above are located in Airport Center, near Check-In 1.
- Observation Deck - Watch pilots in the cockpits through special multimedia binoculars from Observation Deck B, the airport’s main observation deck. A miniature airport playground is available for the little ones, or you can take your kids on the self-guided SWISS Kid’s Tour, which includes a coloring book and twelve interactive learning stations. During the summer months, Observation Deck E is open for viewing long-haul airplanes. Observation Deck E can be reached by free shuttle bus from Observation Deck B. Tickets for Observation Deck B are CHF 5.00 for adults and CHF 2.00 for kids (kids under age 10 are free). Location: entrance next to Check-In 2, but you must clear security first. Hours for Observation Deck B: 9:00AM - 7:00PM (closed at 5:00PM during winter months). Shuttle buses for Observation Deck E run in 30 minute intervals.
- Pharmacy - Amavita operates 3 pharmacies. Locations: Airside Center (6:00AM - 10:00PM) • Airport Center (7:00AM - 9:00PM) • Check-in 1 (6:00AM - 10:00PM).
- Post Office - Swiss Post Location: Airport Center Hours: 7:30AM - 9:00PM Mon-Fri and 8:00AM - 9:00PM Sat,Sun and public holidays
- Rest Areas - In Transit Area D, you will find 12 comfortable reclining chairs with wool blankets near the Day rooms. [ see Hotel section above ]. Rates: CHF 25.00 (3 hours), CHF 30.00 (6 hours), CHF 35 (more than 6 hours).
- Showers - There are two shower facilities that you can pay to use. Locations: Landside, Service Center, multi-storey car park 2, level 1. (Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM) • Airside, Transit D, next to the day rooms. (Hours: open 24 hours). Rates: CHF 15 includes Bath towel, toiletries and hair dryers are provided.
- Smokers Lounges - There are 22 smokers lounges: 4 are located landside and 18 are located airside.
- Spa & Salon Services - Shanty Beauty Design nail bar Location: Airport Center, near P2 parking lot. Hours: 8:00AM - 9:00PM • Airport Jet Coiffeur is a full-service hair salon Location: Airport Center Hours: 8:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Sports Equipment Rentals - Enjoy the outdoors? If you are an active traveller, the area around Zurich Airport is ideal for outdoor activity and fresh air in between flights. Bicycles, inline skates and nordic walking poles for men, women and children are available for rent at the airport. Rates: Bicycles (including protective gear) - CHF 20.00 (up to 4 hours) or CHF 35.00 (full day) • Inline Skates (including protective gear) - CHF 15.00 (up to 4 hours) or CHF 20.00 (full day) • Nordic adjustable walking poles - CHF 10.00 (up to full day). Location: Service Center, multi-story car park 2, 1st floor.
- Treasure Hunt - A fun way to pass time and keep the kids occupied, the “Treasure Hunt Guide” tests your knowledge as you explore the airport in search of hidden treasures. Get your free guide at the Service Center or at the ticket desk for Observation Deck B. Available in German only.
The airport is open 24 hours.
The covered bus terminal at Zurich is the largest and best-connected bus terminal in Switzerland, providing direct access to Check-In, the Zurich Airport Railway Station, the Glattalbahn Tram stop and the Airport Center. Sixteen bus and Postbus routes serve Zurich Airport, with over 700 departures per day to the Glatt valley, Zürcher Unterland and Zurich Oerlikon.
Flugbus offers transportation from central Switzerland to Zurich Airport, arriving at the airport as early as 5:00AM to catch those morning flights. For more information, visit Flugbus.ch.
Special services buses operate during the winter, transporting passengers between the airport and ski resorts in the Swiss Alps and across the border. Buses can be found in the airport bus terminal. Contact Arlberg Express, Davos Express or LAAX for more information on these services. Tickets for Arlberg Express and Davos Express can be purchased in the airport Service Center at Car Park 2, Level 1.
For bus routes, stop, schedules and fares, go to the Zurich Airport Regional Transportation page on the Zurich Airport web site.
A large selection of well-known hire car companies are on hand to provide assistance. Car rental companies include: Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar/Thrifty • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz • National / Alamo • Sixt. Location: Airport Center, Level 01.
Providing fast and wallet-friendly ground transportation around Zurich, Glattalbahn Tram serves the airport along two routes: No. 10 runs every 7.5 -15 minutes between the airport and Zurich Hauptbahnhof (main railway station) via Glattpark, Oerlikon and Irchel; and No. 12 runs every 15 minutes between the airport and Stettbach railway station via Glattbrugg and Wallisellen station, with many interchange options along the way. Tickets are sold from vending machines at each Glattalbahn stop. For schedules, routes and fares, visit the Zurich Airport Regional Transportation page on the Zurich Airport web site.
These area hotels provide courtesy airport shuttles for their guests (bus stop on curbside lane between Arrivals 1 and 2): Hilton Zurich Airport • Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport • Best Western Hotel Airport • Hotel Allegra • Hotel FlyAway • Ibis Zurich Messe Airport • Movenpick Zurich Airport • NH Zurich Airport • Park Inn Hotel Flughafen Zurich • Movenpick Zurich Regensdorf • Welcome Inn.
Check-In All Ways provides a shared ride service exclusively serving hotels in the city center. Shuttles depart every 30 minutes from the curbside in front of Arrivals 2 between 6:30AM - 11:00PM. Like regular shared ride services, the rates for a ride with Check-In All Ways depends on the amount of passengers riding and the destinations requested, per shuttle.
Taxis are readily available from 6:00AM - 11:30PM in front of Arrivals 1 and 2. Official airport taxis are all-white, with an illuminated sign that says “Airport Taxi”. All official airport taxis take credit card, provide VAT-compliant receipts and have multi-lingual drivers. Taxi coordinators are available onsite during peak hours. At the time of this update, the average one-way fare from the airport to the city center is CHF 70 (€ 56).
With about 350 rail connections, the Zurich Airport Railway Station is one of the best-connected rail stations in Switzerland. The SBB Travel Centre is located under the Airport Center in the Check-in 3 area. Ticket counters are open from 6:15AM - 10:30PM, but tickets are also available from vending machines located in Customs Hall 1 and 2, Arrivals 1 and 2 and next to the SBB Travel Centre. In addition, tickets can also be purchased at the Service Center; switzterlandinfo+ counters or via internet or smartphone app. Visit the SBB page for e-tickets, fares and schedules.
Last Updated: 07 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.