In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Zurich Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I found the airport very beautiful. It's big and a lot of very helpful people who spoke with me in my language. -mayss94
by Liz 211
We read a previous review of Zurich airport recommending Starbucks as a good place to sleep, due to the double couches that are left out during the night. So we went and staked out some awesome double couches and got comfortable. But as soon as the main lights went out, we became surrounded by some very questionable people. Two old homeless men on one side who had cans of bourbon, were snoring loudly then yelling at one another for snoring, and at one stage started harassing other young travelers trying to sleep there, grabbing them and yelling - and security was no where to be seen. On the other side, a homeless woman who smelled strongly of vomit. In the end, we gave up our great couches and went to look for another spot. We found another starbucks closer to the check in area that also had couches - they weren't as comfortable as the first ones, but we slept so much better! There weren't any dodgy looking people around there either. I would recommend THAT Starbucks.
Have you been to Zurich Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Zurich airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Dnata Skyview Lounge - Location: Airside, 2nd floor of Airside Center - Access via Check-In # 1 and Check-In # 2. Hours: 6:30AM -9:30PM (Sun - Fri) • 6:30AM - 8:00PM (Sat). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (CHF 32) • Book Online (£28.00) • Priority Pass.
- Panorama Lounge - Location: Airside, 3rd Floor, near Gate E45. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (CHF 36) • Book Online (£28.00) • Priority Pass.
- Oneworld Lounge - Location: Airside, Schengen Area, 3rd Floor. Hours: 5:30AM - 9:00PM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£28.00) • Priority Pass.
- Swiss International Airlines Lounge - Location: Airside, Airside Center, 2nd Floor of the Airside Center and access is from Check-in 1 or Check-in 2. Hours: 5:45AM - 10:45PM. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Swiss Lounge D - Location: Airside, Non-Schengen Area, Transit Area D. Hours: 6:00AM - 8:30PM. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
Airline Lounges that require a first or business class ticket or elite membership: Emirates Lounge > SKYTEAM Lounge > Swiss Arrival Lounge > Swiss Business Lounge > Swiss First Lounge > Swiss Senator Lounge > Swiss Senator/Business Lounge
- Free WiFi is available at Zurich Airport for 60 minutes. Connect to the ZurichAirport network. After you register, you will receive a code by text message. After the 60 minute time limit, you can purchase additional time 1 hour (6.90 CHF) 24 hours (14.90 CHF)
- Internet Kiosks are available both landside and airside. The first 60 minutes are free.
If sleeping in Zurich Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Radisson Blu - Located across the street from the terminal. Connected to Terminal.
- NH Zurich Airport - Shuttle bus available. Day rooms are available 9am-6pm. The shower rooms are available for non-guests at a rate of CHF 35.
- Park Inn by Radisson - Shuttle bus available (scheduled service. Hours unknown)
- Mövenpick Hotel Zürich-Airport - Free shuttle bus (Hours: 510am - 1145pm)
There are sleep rooms in transit area D. Single Rates: CHF 49 (3 hours), CHF 63 (6 hours), CHF 79 (more than 6 hours). Double Rates: CHF 75 (3 hours), CHF 94 (6 hours), CHF 119 (more than 6 hours). There is a shower facility.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Zurich Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Tours - Sightseeing tours take you behind the scenes to the aprons, Pier A, and the Airside Center, and then through the tunnel beneath runway 28 to Pier E, where you can get out of the bus and enjoy a close-up view of aircraft landing and taking off. Duration: 1 hour 15min. Departures: tours for individuals depart on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Check the Observation Deck for the current schedule. Rate: CHF 8.00 (adults) / CHF 4.00 (child). Location: purchase tickets at the observation deck.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There is an ATM in the Airport Center Level 01 next to the SBB counter.
- Bicycle Rentals - If you are an active traveller, you can rent bicycles, inline skates and nordic walking poles at the airport and get outside for some fresh air in between flights. Rates: Bicycles - CHF 20 (up to 4 hours) or 35 (full day) • Inline Skates - CHF 15 (up to 4 hours) or 20 (full day) • Nordic Poles - CHF 10 (full day). Location: Service Center, multi-story car park 2, 1st floor.
- Food -
There are many food options located landside and airside, but none of them are open 24 hours.
- Information Desk - Locations: Arrivals 1 (Hours: 730am - 1130pm) • Arrivals 2 (Hours: 545am - 1130pm) • Service Center Car Park 2 (Hours: 6am - 1130pm) • Check-in 2 (Hours: 530am - 830pm) • Transfer and Shopping Zone (Hours: 615am - 130pm and 330pm - 9pm)
- Luggage Storage - You will find the left luggage office and coin-operated lockers next to the Service Center near car park pay station 2. Hours: 6am - 1030pm
- Observation Deck - There are two observation decks. The newly renovated Observation Deck B has multimedia binoculars and a miniature airport for children to play. Entrance: beside check-in 2. Hours: 8am - 9pm (summer) and 9am - 6pm (winter). Rates: CHF 5 (adults) and CHF 2 (children). Observation Deck E is accessible by shuttle bus and is onpen in the summer only. Hours: unknown. Rate: CHF 4.00 (adults) and CHF 2 (children).
- Rest Areas - In Transit Area D, you will find 12 comfortable reclining chairs with wool blankets near the Day rooms. [ see Hotel section above ]. Rates: CHF 25.00 (3 hours), CHF 30.00 (6 hours), CHF 35 (more than 6 hours)
- Showers - There are three shower facilities that you can pay to use.
Location: Landside - Service Center (multi-storey car park 2, level 1) - Hours: 6am - 10pm
Location: Airside - Transit D (next to day rooms) - Hours: open 24 hours
Rates: CHF 15 includes towel, shampoo/shower gel.
- Smokers Lounges - There are 22 smokers lounges. 6 are located landside and 16 are located airside.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Regional buses: 16 bus and Postbus routes connect the main municipalities in the Glatt valley, Zürcher Unterland and Zurich Oerlikon regions to the airport. Departures range from every 10 minutes to hourly.
The covered bus terminal at Zurich Airport has direct access to the check-in areas and the Airport Center.
For schedules and costs, visit the Zurich Airport web site.
With about 350 rail connections, the airport is considered one of the best-connected locations in Switzerland. The SBB travel centre is located below the Airport Center in the Check-in 3 area. Ticket counters are open from 6am-11pm.
Arriving passengers can purchase tickets from the machines in customs halls 1 and 2. There are also more ticket machines directly next to the SBB travel centre.
Tickets for trains, trams and buses can be purchased at the SBB ticket machines (also located in Arrival 1 and 2), the SBB ticket counters, the Service Center, the switzerlandinfo+ counters or conveniently on the Internet via www.sbb.ch/abos-billette/e-tickets
The no. 10 tram runs every 7 or 15 minutes directly from the airport to Zurich's main railway station via Glattpark, Oerlikon and Irchel.
The no. 12 tram runs from the airport to Stettbach station via Glattbrugg and Wallisellen station. It runs every 15 minutes and offers many interchange options for destinations across the network. One ticket for Zone 21 is all you need for the whole of the no. 12 tram route.
Airport taxi ranks are located in front of Arrivals 1 and 2. A taxi ride from Zurich Airport to Zurich city centre costs around EUR 56. You can reserve your taxi in advance by calling 0848 850 852. The ranks operate 6am and 11.30pm.
A large selection of well-known hire car companies are on hand to provide assistance. Car rental companies include: Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • National / Alamo • Sixt. Location: Airport Center, Level 01
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Zurich Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Zurich Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search Zurich hotel deals, compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 19 January 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.