Abu Dhabi Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Abu Dhabi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of the transit hotel in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
When I asked, the staff were more than happy for me to enter the terminal, despite not flying out from there in the morning. - rossh89
photo by Abu Dhabi International Airport
I landed in Abu Dhabi at 1:15am with a connecting flight at 9:30am.
The new Terminal 3 is for Etihad flights only, and as an Etihad passenger I went through security into Terminal 3. When I asked, the staff were more than happy for me to enter the terminal, despite not flying out from there in the morning.
The shopping is limited here, but they do have a food village on the first floor which is open 24/7 and served fairly decent food.
The best thing about this Terminal was that you can wander into the five gates closest to the duty free area with no-one worrying about you. It seems the last flight is around 2:40am, with nothing until around 8:00am the next morning.
Some of these gates have reclined seats, and nearly all were deserted. Each has a TV and quite bright lighting, so I would recommend following signs for the Children's Play Area. Behind the play area are around 30 reclining seats. The lighting is dimmer here, and the TV sound is blocked out. Also it is right next to toilet and shower facilities.
I slept on the floor (my preference as I can lay out flat) and had around 4 hours uninterrupted. The staff I spoke to were more than happy to let people sleep in the gates, and I wasn't the only one doing so.
Also worth noting is that the WiFi is free and excellent, and the smoking room is much nicer here than in Terminal 1.
I flew from Terminal 1 in the morning, which seems a terrible place to sleep, but it was just a ten minute walk from Terminal 3.
Have you been to Abu Dhabi Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Abu Dhabi airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Al Reem Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from AED 150 - 400) • Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass.
- Al Dhabi Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from AED 180 - 520) • Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass.
- Al Ghazal Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (from AED 100 - 160) • Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass.
- Al Ghazal Lounge: Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (AED100).
- Al Dana Lounge: Terminal 1, Airside, Satellite Area, near Gates 14 and 15. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (AED100)
Additionally, there are airline lounges that require Elite Status/First or Business Class ticket for entry:
- Ethiad Diamond First Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside.
- Ethiad Diamond First Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside.
- Ethiad Pearl Business Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside.
Free WiFi is available at Abu Dhabi Airport. Connect to the “ADAC Free Wireless” network.
Additionally there are 50 free internet kiosks located in the Departure Lounges of all three terminals.
- Abu Dhabi Airport Hotel - Open to transit passengers, this hotel is located inside Terminal 1 Transit Hall, on the right side just after the Departure Immigration Hall. Day rooms are offered from 6am to 6pm.
- Premier Inn Abu Dhabi International Airport - Located next to Skypark multi-story car park opposite Terminals 1 & 3. Direct access from the airport terminal via retail corridor inside of Skypark. Free shuttle service to Yas Island, Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, and the Corniche.
- Al Raha Beach Hotel - (7 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to nearby shopping centers.
- Park Inn by Radisson Abu Dhabi Yas Island - (7 min from the airport) Airport transfers available on request ($).
- Yas Viceroy - (10 min from the airport) Airport transfers available on request ($) .
GoSleep Sleeping Pods - Location: Terminal 3, 2nd Floor, in the Transit Area, at the end of the long corridor approaching Arrivals. GoSleep pods are state-of-the art business class loungers that recline flat and have rolling privacy blind, which provide partial or full coverage for privacy, rest, relaxation, and sleep. Pods have electrical socket, USB port, and ample storage for personal items. Check-in via reception desk and purchase Snooze kits, pillows, blankets, and other amenities. Tablet PC’s can be rented for surfing the internet during your stay in the GoSleep pod. Rates: AED 74/US$ 21 (2 hours) • AED 129/US$ 36 (4 hours) • AED 184/US$ 51 (6 hours - includes free rental pillow) • AED 220/US$ 61 (8 hours - includes free rental blanket and pillow) • AED30/US$ 9 for each additional hour.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Abu Dhabi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available Landside and in the Transit Area. Location: Terminal 1, Terminal 1A, Terminal 2 .
- Baggage Trolleys - Trolleys are available free of charge. If you would like a porter, the fixed rate is currently AED 15/US$ 4 (as of April 2015).
- Business Center - Offers telephone, fax and internet access. Location: Terminal 1 Transit Hall, in the Airport Hotel. Rate: AED 15 per 30 minutes
- Children's Play Area - Yes. Location: Terminal 1, 2nd Floor, airside.
- Currency Exchange - There are 16 foreign exchange offices (Travelex). Locations: Terminal 1 Arrivals Hall, Terminal 1 Departures Hall (Gate 1), Terminal 1 Transit Area (Gate 5 and 6), Terminal 2 Arrivals Hall, Terminal 2 Landside in the National Bank of Abu Dhabi. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Family Services - Free baby strollers are available. Additionally, there are baby changing rooms located throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - There are 24-hour food concessions at this airport. Names and locations are unknown.
- Golf Course - Located a short drive (7 minutes) from the airport, the Al Ghazal Golf Course is considered one of the finest sand golf courses in the world. If you have a 3-5 hour transit, you can play 9 or 18 holes.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Short and long term storage and lockers are available. Location: Terminal 1, Arrivals Hall. Rates: AED 10 - 75 (3 hours) • AED 20 - 150 (24 hours) • AED 20 - 75 each additional 24 hour period.
- Pharmacy - There are 3 pharmacies: Al Razi Pharmacy (Terminal 3, 4th Floor, landside) • Bin Sina Pharmacy (Terminal 1, 1st Floor, airside) • Boots (Terminal 3, 1st Floor, airside). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Prayer Rooms - available in all terminals (landside and airside).
- Rest Zones - The airport offers areas with reclining seating for people to rest in between flights, but they are generally in open areas that might have a lot of noise for a deep sleep.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Al Reem and Al Dhabi lounges mentioned above. Free public showers are situated near Gates 32 and 37.
- Smoking Room - Designated smoking areas are located within the Transit and Satellite areas in the Smoking Room, Piano Bar and selected sections of cafes. Locations: Terminal 1, First Floor, Al Dhabi Lounge • Terminal 2, Ground Floor • Terminal 3, Second Floor.
- Spa - TOSA Spa has two locations. In Terminal 1, they offer foot/back treatments. In the Skypark Plaza location they offer male treatment rooms, female treatment rooms, relaxation room for women, mani/pedi rooms. The female changing area is equipped with a shower and locakers.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Air con buses to and from the airport and Abu Dhabi city are economical and comfortable. They are green and white, and depart from the lower curbside outside Terminals 1-3. All bus stops are indicated with blue and white signs.
The bus stops at all legal bus stops going into the city. It passes by the Bus Stand at Muroor and Street 11 and terminates at the Old Fish Market on Al Nasr Street (near NYU Abu Dhabi).
They run every 40 minutes, 24 hours a day. A one-way fare is AED 4 and travel time to the city is about 45 minutes, depending on traffic.
Luxury airport taxis offer passengers arriving at Abu Dhabi International Airport round-the-clock transport.
If you’re departing from Terminals 1, 2 or 3, you’ll find at the clearly signposted taxi pick-up area at the lower curbside outside Arrivals Hall.
Car rental providers are open 24 hours a day and located at Skypark Plaza, opposite Terminal 3. Companies include:Budget • Dollar • Europcar • Hertz • Thrifty • Payless. Location: SkyPark Plaza, opposite Terminal 3 - you can walk from Terminal 1 or 3 and take the inter-terminal shuttle from Terminal 2. Hours: open 24 hours
Airport Transportation: Inter-terminal shuttle
A complimentary shuttle service runs between the terminals every 15 minutes. Shuttle stops are signposted and located outside Terminal 1 at Entrance 5 (upper curbside) and at Terminal 2 in front of Departures.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Abu Dhabi Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 02 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.