Abu Dhabi Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Abu Dhabi Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of the transit hotel in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
When I asked, the staff were more than happy for me to enter the terminal, despite not flying out from there in the morning. - rossh89
photo by Abu Dhabi International Airport
I landed in Abu Dhabi at 1:15am with a connecting flight at 9:30am.
The new Terminal 3 is for Etihad flights only, and as an Etihad passenger I went through security into Terminal 3. When I asked, the staff were more than happy for me to enter the terminal, despite not flying out from there in the morning.
The shopping is limited here, but they do have a food village on the first floor which is open 24/7 and served fairly decent food.
The best thing about this Terminal was that you can wander into the five gates closest to the duty free area with no-one worrying about you. It seems the last flight is around 2:40am, with nothing until around 8:00am the next morning.
Some of these gates have reclined seats, and nearly all were deserted. Each has a TV and quite bright lighting, so I would recommend following signs for the Children's Play Area. Behind the play area are around 30 reclining seats. The lighting is dimmer here, and the TV sound is blocked out. Also it is right next to toilet and shower facilities.
I slept on the floor (my preference as I can lay out flat) and had around 4 hours uninterrupted. The staff I spoke to were more than happy to let people sleep in the gates, and I wasn't the only one doing so.
Also worth noting is that the WiFi is free and excellent, and the smoking room is much nicer here than in Terminal 1.
I flew from Terminal 1 in the morning, which seems a terrible place to sleep, but it was just a ten minute walk from Terminal 3.
Have you been to Abu Dhabi Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Al Reem Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Showers are available. Lounge Access: AED 160/US$ 45 per person for 4 hours (at the door) • £22.00 for 3 hours or £25.00 for 3-4 hours (online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- Al Dhabi Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Showers are available. Lounge Access: AED 200 / US$ 56 per person for 4 hours (at the door) • £22.00 for 3 hours (online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- Al Ghazal Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: AED 100 / US$ 28 per person for 4 hours (at the door) • £22.00 for 3 hours or £25.00 for 3-4 hours (online) to guarantee that you have a seat. » book lounge
- Ethiad Diamond First Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside.
- Al Ghazal Lounge: Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: AED100 (4 hours)
- Ethiad Diamond First Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside.
- Ethiad Pearl Business Class Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside.
- Al Dar Lounge: Terminal 1 - Airside and Landside access
- Al Dana Lounge: Terminal 1, Airside, Satellite Area, near Gates 14 and 15. Lounge Access: AED100
Free WiFi is available at Abu Dhabi Airport. Connect to the “ADAC Free Wireless” network.
Additionally there are 50 free internet kiosks located in the Departure Lounges of all three terminals.
- Abu Dhabi Airport Hotel - Location: inside the airport - Terminal 1 Transit Hall, on the right side just after the Departure Immigration Hall. Day rooms are offered from 6am - 6pm.
- Premier Inn - Location: opposite Terminals 1 and 3. Direct access is available via the Skypark retail corridor.
- Park Inn by Radisson (6.6km)
- Yas Viceroy - (6km) 10 minutes from the airport. Transfer service available on request ($).
Sleep pods can be found in Terminal 1 (2 pods in the Al Dhabi Lounge) and Terminal 3 (20 pods near gates 35 and 36). Rate: US$ 13 (1 hour) • US$ 25 (2 hours) • US$ 36 (3 hours) • US$ 46 (4 hours).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Abu Dhabi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available Landside and in the Transit Area. Location: Terminal 1, Terminal 1A, Terminal 2 .
- Luggage Trolleys - Trolleys are available free of charge.
- Business Center - Offers telephone, fax and internet access. Location: Terminal 1 Transit Hall, in the Airport Hotel. Rate: AED 15 per 30 minutes
- Car Rentals - Budget • Dollar • Europcar • Hertz • Thrifty • Payless. Location: SkyPark Plaza, opposite Terminal 3 - you can walk from Terminal 1 or 3 and take the inter-terminal shuttle from Terminal 2. Hours: open 24 hours
- Children's Play Area - Yes. Location: Terminal 1, 2nd Floor, airside.
- Currency Exchange - There are 16 foreign exchange offices (Forex). Locations: Terminal 1 Arrivals Hall, Terminal 1 Departures Hall (Gate 1), Terminal 1 Transit Area (Gate 5 and 6), Terminal 2 Arrivals Hall, Terminal 2 Landside in the National Bank of Abu Dhabi. Hours: open 24 hours
- Food & Drinks - There are 24-hour food concessions at this airport. Names and locations are unknown.
- Golf Course - Located a short drive (7 minutes) from the airport, the Al Ghazal Golf Course is considered one of the finest sand golf courses in the world. If you have a 3-5 hour transit, you can play 9 or 18 holes.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available.
- Pharmacy - There are 3 pharmacies: Al Razi Pharmacy (Terminal 3, 4th Floor, landside) • Bin Sina Pharmacy (Terminal 1, 1st Floor, airside) • Boots (Terminal 3, 1st Floor, airside). Hours: open 24 hours.
- Prayer Rooms - available in all terminals (landside and airside).
- Showers - Showers are available in the Al Reem and Al Dhabi lounges mentioned above. Free public showers are situated near Gates 32 and 37.
- Smoking Room - Designated smoking areas are located within the Transit and Satellite areas in the Smoking Room, Piano Bar and selected sections of cafes.
open 24 hours
Airport Transportation: Getting There
- Public Bus: Bus 901 from the Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 Arrival Halls. Operates every hour. Rate: AED 3
- Taxi/Limosine: available from Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 Arrival Halls.
Facebook and Twitter Tips
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Abu Dhabi Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 17 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.