Grand Rapids Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Grand Rapids Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
CNN is playing in the lobby and was quite loud but since I had no where else to go, I ended up watching it all night. - redlegsfan21
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Gerald R Ford International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, modern international airport with two concourses (Concourses A and B)
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and buy your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- We have no reviews from travelers who have slept in this airport, but one reviewer noted that sleeping was impossible due to the uncomfortable bucket seats and loud TVs in the airport lobby. Have a travel mattress, sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy for a chance at a good night’s sleep!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Grand Rapids Airport Guide. Send us your Grand Rapids Airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at the airport.
Free WiFi is available at Grand Rapids Airport. Connect to the “FlyGRFord” network.
If sleeping in Grand Rapids Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Springhill Suites Grand Rapids Airport Southeast - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available on request.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport 28th St - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service.
- Sleep Inn & Suites - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Grand Rapids Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located landside in the Grand Hall, near the entrance to Concourse B, and also in the main hallway of each concourse.
- Baggage Carts - Location: Baggage Claim, next to luggage carousels. Rate: unknown.
- Business Centers - These seated work areas feature power outlets and access to the airport’s free WiFi. Free entry. Two locations available landside in the Grand Hall.
- Currency Exchange - Not available inside the airport. There is a bank located across from the Terminal that you could go to for foreign currency. Location: Fifth Third Bank, corner of Patterson Avenue and 44th Street.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Offering gifts and other small items, Grand Rapids Magazine Travel Stores are located in the Grand Hall and Concourses A and B. Open from 5:00AM.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions in the airport operate with varying schedules. Most open at 4:30AM or 5:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are available in the Grand Hall and the concourses.
- Game RoomLocated in the Grand Hall, behind the Grand Rapids Travel Store. A change machine is available inside.
- Information Desk - Location: across from baggage claim. Hours: 9:00AM - 10:00PM. Look for the airport ambassadors throughout the airport wearing bright green jackets.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Observation Deck - Location: on the mezzanine level.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
I think I found a spot to get some sleep at the Airport pic.twitter.com/NJZquDS0Ci— Greg Forest (@CoachGregForest) December 30, 2013
Grand Rapids Airport is served by local bus route 17. At the time of this update, bus fare is $1.50 and includes one transfer. For route map and schedule, visit The Rapid website.
The following car rental agencies can be found on-site, on the 1st level of the parking garage: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National/Alamo.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport • Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites • Clarion Inn & Suites Airport • Comfort Inn Airport • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Grand Rapids Airport • Courtyard Grand Rapids Airport • Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids Airport • DoubleTree By Hilton Grand Rapids Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport • Red Roof Inn • Residence Inn Grand Rapids Airport • Sleep Inn & Suites • SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport • Wyndham Garden Grand Rapids Airport
Taxis are available in the ground transportation area of the terminal during airport hours of operation. All taxis are metered and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, one-way fare to downtown Grand Rapids is $32 in a regular taxis and $37 in a luxury taxi.
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.