In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Portland Jetport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Comfortable padded seating with no armrests! No hassles from anyone.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Portland International Jetport.
What to Expect
- A small and homey airport with limited shopping and dining options
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Comfy couches are available just outside of security
- Padded armrest-free seating is available in the ticketing and baggage claim areas. However, the baggage claim area is preferable for sleeping because the ticketing area gets busy with incoming foot traffic early in the morning.
- Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy for those obnoxious overhead announcements that go on well into the night!
- One reviewer mentioned that the terminal is brightly lit. Have a sleep mask handy to ensure a good night’s rest!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is one hotel within walking distance and several hotels that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Portland Jetport Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at the airport.
Free WiFi is available at Portland Jetport.
If sleeping in Portland Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport - (2 minutes from the airport) Located opposite the airport terminal entrance, you can walk from the airport or take the free shuttle, which runs from 4:00AM to Midnight. The shuttle also goes to local businesses upon request.
- Embassy Suites Portland - (2 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone in the baggage claim area.
- Comfort Inn Airport - (3 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland - (7 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service also goes to key points in the surrounding area (subject to availability).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Portland Jetport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: landside, 1st floor, Baggage Claim • Airside, opposite Gates 2 and 3.
- Baggage Carts - SmarteCarte is available. Rate: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - Playport is located airside, near Gate 2.
- Currency Exchange - Old Port Foreign Exchange will be opening a foreign currency counter on November 1, 2014. Location: Landside, Ticketing Counters.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, no 24-hour dining options were available. Here is a current list of restaurants in the airport:
- Landside: (1st Floor, Baggage Claim): Shipyard Brewport Restaurant • Snack Bar
- Airside: The Great American Bagel Bakery (Gate 3) •The Shipyard Brewpub (Gate 4) • Starbucks (Gate 7) • Burger King (Gate 9) • Linda Bean’s Maine Lobster Cafe (Gate 10).
- Information Desk - Look for the airport ambassadors throughout the airport for assistance.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mobile Charging - Yes
- Showers - not available
While we don't have the airport hours, the TSA security checkpoints are open from approx. 4:00AM - 8:30PM.
Greater Portland Transit District METRO serves the Portland metropolitan area, including Westbrook, Falmouth and the Maine Mall area of South Portland. The Route 5 bus offers regular service between the airport and Portland Jetport in downtown Portland, with connections available to Amtrak, South Portland Bus, other METRO buses and the ZOOM shuttle system. For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the GP METRO website.
Car rental services are available in a designated area of the airport parking garage, connected to the airport terminal by a covered walkway. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Clarion Hotel • Comfort Inn Airport • Courtyard Portland Airport • Days Inn Airport/Maine Mall • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland • Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland • Fairfield Inn Portland/ Maine Mall • Hampton Inn Portland Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites South Portland • Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland • La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland • Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks • The Westin Portland Harborview
Taxis are available outside of the baggage claim area during airport hours of operation. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. All trips within the Greater Portland area are charged by the meter. Metered zones include Portland, South Portland, Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth, Westbrook and Falmouth. At the time of this update, the approximate fare to the International Ferry, Old Port district or the waterfront is $17. Flat rates are charged for trips to or from areas outside of the metered zones. For current flat rate prices, check the Taxi Published Flat Rate Guide available on the PWM Airport website.
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.