Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Balikpapan Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what to expect during your time at Balikpapan Airport.
What to Expect
- The current terminal opened in 2014, with connections across Indonesia and Southeast Asia. The original terminal is still situated on airport grounds, but only services charter flights.
Where to Sleep
- As of October 2018, we have no reviews from travellers who have used this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, hotels are located near the airport. See our Airport Hotel section below for more info.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- BlueSky Premier Lounge – Location: Airside, 3rd Floor, near Gate 10. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
- T/G Lounge – Location: Airside, Domestic Departures area, 2nd Floor, near Gate 3. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If you are a First & Business Class traveller, you may have access to the Garuda Executive Lounge. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
Garuda Executive Lounge – Location: International terminal. Hours:unknown. Lounge Access. Day Pass
If sleeping in Balikpapan Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Sepinggan – (6 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport transfers are provided by the hotel. » Check Rates
- Hakaya Plaza Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Airport pick-up is available. Day rates are available. Reservations are not accepted. Rates are 1 hour for IDR 175.000,3 hours for IDR 290.000 or 6 hours for IDR 370.000. » Check Rates
- Zurich Hotel – (10 minutes from the airport) Pick-up service from airport or harbor can be arranged for IDR 60,000 one-way. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Balikpapan Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Sultan Aji Muhammad Airport
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: unknown.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside in the International hall. A wide variety of retail and gift shops are located throughout the landside and airside areas of the airport.
Food & Drink – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules.At the time of this update, it is not known if 24-hour dining options are available. Most restaurants are open 5:00AM – 10:00PM.
Information Desk – Yes
Luggage Carts – Yes
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Luggage Wrapping – Wrapping is available from a few service providers.
Massage – Massage and reflexology service is available airside.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
Smoking Area – A smoking area can be found airside in both Domestic and International halls.
Travel Agencies – Information not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of October 2018, Balikpapan airport is served by the following airlines: Batik Air • Citilink • Garuda Indonesia • Lion Air • SilkAir • Sriwijaya Air • Wings Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service for their guests. Contact your hotel of choice for availability and details:
Fixed-rate taxis are available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport, during airport hours of operation.
Last updated: 2018-10-26
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.