Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Dublin Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I was just settling down for a cozy nap when the snoring began 2 booths over. The snoring became so loud that it was vibrating our booth. -a traveller
DUB Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Dublin International Airport.
What to Expect
Dublin Airport (Code: DUB) consists of two interconnected and walkable terminals, with the older Terminal 1 servicing mainly short-haul regional flights, while the much newer Terminal 2 handles most of the longer-haul international flights. There are plenty of airside shopping options in both terminals, while eateries can be found on both sides of security. However, the only 24-hour eateries are located landside in Terminal 1. Things to do while you wait are a bit limited, but the airport’s free WiFi helps pass the time. Economy class passengers can enjoy additional comforts via fee-based entry into one of the airport lounges. See locations and rates in the Airport Lounges section below.
Sleeping in Dublin Airport
Staff and security are generally tolerant of airport sleepers, though security sometimes objects to people sleeping in the multi-faith prayer room. Reviewers suggest that landside offers better overnight sleeping options because most airside seats have armrests. The landside food court and Terminal 1 McDonald’s are both cited as having comfortable chairs and couches. The airport gets cold at night, so a sweater or travel blanket are recommended. Explore our guide to sleeping in Dublin Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, there are some nearby airport hotels that can easily be reached by foot or shuttle. See the Airport Hotels section below for more info.
Good to Know
US-bound passengers are pre-processed through U.S. Customs and Immigration at the airport’s Terminal 2, so you won’t have to do it upon your arrival in the States.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. We will start updating all of our guides in October 2021. To help us with this massive update, you can add or update information or write a review and submit photos and airport tips.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Dublin Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in the airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near Dublin airport with shuttle service:
- Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport – (3 minute walk from both airport terminals) Free 24-hour airport shuttle. From T1, the pick-up is in Zone 8. From T2, go to the right hand side of the arrivals exit door. » Check Rates
- Radisson Blu Hotel Dublin Airport – (5 minute walk from both airport terminals) A free airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes between 5:00AM and 12:00AM. Outside these hours call the hotel at (01) 844 6000 for pickup. In T1, the shuttle pick-up point is in coach park Zone 8. In T2, the shuttle pick-up point can be found at the first exit on the right hand side (look for the US Airlines check-in desks). » Check Rates
- Carlton Hotel – (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs from the hotel to the airport on the hour and half-hour. From the airport to the hotel, the shuttle leaves every quarter hour and quarter-to the hour, 24 hours a day, except from 1:00AM – 4:00AM during which time you may call the hotel for pick-up. Shuttle pick-up for both terminals can be found in Zone 16. » Check Rates
- Premier Inn – (4 minutes from the airport) The hotel shuttle is available from Zone 16 in the centre concourse. The shuttle runs every 30 mins between 4:30AM and 11:00PM from the airport to hotel and from the hotel to airport between 4:15AM and 10:45PM. Hotel shuttle costs 2,00€ per person, each way. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport – (7 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle bus runs every 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day and runs from the airport to hotel between 4:15AM and 11:15PM and from the hotel to the airport from 4:00AM to 11:30PM. The shuttle bus picks up from the coach park Zone 16. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Dublin Airport on TripAdvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes T1 Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, adjacent to the security area and The Loop. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
51st & Green Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, after US Pre-Clearance, past US Departure Gates 405 and 406. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
Passes T2 Lounge – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Lower Level (Airline Lounge Level). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
The East Lounge – Location: Terminal 1/2, Airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Airline First/Business Class Ticket.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Terminal 2, Airside: Aer Lingus Revival Lounge • Etihad Airways First & Business Class Lounge • Aer Lingus Lounge.
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Dublin Airport. Connect to the ‘Dublin Airport Free WiFi’ or ‘eircom’ networks. No registration required! Surfbox internet kiosks are also available throughout the airport, at a rate of 11.5c per minute. Some have printing facilities. You can find them in these locations:
- T1: Arrivals Hall • Departures Hall* • Mezzanine* • Gates 101-121 • Gates 201-220 • Gates 301-313
- T2: Check-In Floor*- 3 kiosks available • Arrivals Floor* • International Departures Lounge (airside)* • Gates 400-425 • After US Pre-Clearance
* Locations marked with a * have printing facilities
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Diaper changing facilities are located throughout Terminals 1 and 2. Diapers and other baby products are available for sale in Boots (T1, The Loop shopping area) and Pure Pharmacy (T2, Airside). For your convenience, car seats, cradles, prams, and strollers can be rented from The Stork Exchange, which is located on airport grounds. Rental items can be picked up from The Stork Exchange, or delivered to T1, T2, or on-airport car rental agencies.
- Children’s Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. The space comes equipped with a gym play area with colourfully designed seating and tables. Location: Mezzanine, Terminal 1 beside McDonald’s.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules with many opening at 4:00AM. T1 landside has some 24 hour options: AMT Coffee (Arrivals) • McDonald’s (Mezzanine Food Court).
- Hydration Station – Thirsty? Water bottle refill stations are available free of charge throughout the airport. If you forgot your water bottle,100% reusable and recyclable water bottles are available after security checks for an honour system fee of €1.
- Supermarket – If you’re heading home to Dublin and need to pick up some groceries on the way, Spar has fresh food, household goods, and coffee and food to go. Location: T2, landside, Arrivals (Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM).
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, an Information Desk is located in Terminal 1, Arrivals. You may also see customer care agents posted at various points throughout the airport.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Excess Baggage Company provides storage service. Rates are applied per item for the following time periods: €7.00 up to 4 hours • €12.50 up to 24 hours • €20.00 up to 48 hours • €25.00 up to 72 hours and then €5.00 for every subsequent day. Location: T1, Arrivals, Main Concourse. Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic. Locations: both Terminals, Departures Hall, Landside, Check-in areas. Hours: 4:00AM – 9:00PM (Terminal 1) • 4:00AM – 8:00PM (Terminal 2) . Rates: unknown.
- Medical Services – First aid services are available. Contact an airport police officer or airport staff if you require assistance.
- Pharmacy – Get your prescriptions filled or pick up some cream for that itch at Pure Pharmacy. Location: T2, airside, Departures Level. Hours: 5:00AM – 6:00PM. Some over-the-counter medicines are also available for sale in Boots Location: T1, The Loop shopping area. Hours:4:00AM – 9:00PM (Mon – Sat) • 4:30AM – 9:00PM (Sun).
- Mobile Charging – Electrical outlets are available. Most charging points are integrated into workstations located throughout the airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside in both terminals.
- Currency Exchange – International Currency Exchange (ICE) has money changing outlets throughout the airport in these locations:
- Terminal 1: Arrivals Hall (Hours: 5:30AM – 12:00AM) • Baggage Hall (Hours: 7:00AM – 7:00PM) • Departures Hall (Hours: 5:30AM – 10:00PM) • Airside (Hours: 4:00AM – 9:00PM) • Airside, Gates 102-113 (Hours: 5:00AM – 8:00PM)
- Terminal 2: Baggage Hall (Hours: 4:30AM – 10:30PM) • Check-In Hall (Hours: 4:30AM – 7:00PM) • Airside (Hours: 4:00AM – 8:15PM)
- Prayer Room – Daily mass is held on airport grounds at Our Lady Queen of Heaven Church. Mass is held daily at 1:00PM (11:00AM on Sundays) and Confession is heard immediately after. Location: The church is located on its own grounds, just a 1-minute walk from the Arrivals Hall, via the Short-Term Car Park Atrium. The Multi-Faith Prayer Room offers a peaceful place for prayer and meditation for passengers of any religion. Chairs and prayer mats are available. Location: T2, Departures Level, before the boarding area. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – In Terminal 1, once you pass through security, pass through the duty free shopping, then past a restaurant on your left. You’ll come to a Starbucks with an escalator up to more restaurants. On the right is a rest zone with soft chairs and pods for sleeping.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Fast Track Service – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: €5.95 to €7.99 depending on time of flight. Book on-line.
- Duty Free & Shopping – The Loop Duty Free is located Airside in both Terminals. Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM. There is a good variety of other shops to pass the time. There is a Spar Supermarket which may come in handy for last minute snacks and drinks or grocery needs before heading home. Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM. Location: T2, Arrivals.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Freshen up before your flight. Showers are available in two of the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa – Not available.
Additional Services Available at the Airport
- Smoking Area – Smoking is prohibited inside the airport, except in at the Garden Terrace bar. Location: Terminal 1, Airside.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Dublin airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Baltic • Air Canada • Air France • Air Moldova • Air Transat • American Airlines • Arkia • Blue Air • British Airways • Cathay Pacific • Croatia Airlines • Delta Air Lines • Egyptair • El Al Israel • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Eurowings • Finnair • Flyone • Great Dane Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Iberia • Icelandair • Juneyao Air • KLM • Laudamotion • Loganair • Lufthansa • Luxair • Norwegian • Qatar Airways • Ryanair • S7 Airlines • SAS • Swiss • Sun Express • TAP • Transavia • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Vueling. Note: the airport is served by other airlines on a seasonal-only basis.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Buses and Coaches
Several companies operate daily bus and coach service to and from Dublin Airport. These buses and coaches travel to railway stations and destinations within Dublin City and its surrounding areas, as well as destinations within the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. For details on the bus companies and their pick-up zones, visit the Dublin Airport website.
The following car rental agencies are available exclusively in Terminal 1: Sixt • Europcar. These car rental agencies have offices located in both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2: Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dooley Car Rentals • Enterprise • Hertz • National.
See Airport Hotels above.
Taxis are a safe and reliable way to travel to and from Dublin Airport and destinations within 30km of the airport. Taxis are metered and a receipt will be issued.
Last updated: 2020-10-19
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.