Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Freetown Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
There were guards, but they were sleeping too. – dunxd
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Lungi International Airport.
What to Expect
- A single-terminal international airport surrounded by water. With no ferries running after 1:00AM and high prices for hotels in the city, passengers who need to catch an early flight end up having to sleep in the airport. If you choose to spend the night in the airport, you definitely won’t be alone!
- The airport restrooms tend to be dirty or non-functioning, due to low water supply. A reviewer recommends paying to use the VIP lounge for its upgraded amenities and clean restrooms.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- If you plan to spend the night here, make sure to show up before the terminal closes for the night. Upon closing, all doors are locked, and passengers will not be let in or out.
- There are plenty of armrest-free benches in the airport, so have a travel blanket and pillow handy!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Sky Lounge – Location: Airside, 1st Floor. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs and Gold/Elite Alliance members.
If sleeping in Freetown Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Lungi Airport Hotel – (2 minutes from the airport) Located across from the airport. Airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Freetown Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Internet is available at the Freetown Airport in the Business Center and in the Sky Lounge
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Business Center – Yes
Currency Exchange – In addition to the currency exchange kiosks in Arrivals, there are two full-service banks on airport grounds.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in Departures.
Food & Drinks – One restaurant is available landside while airside offers at least 2 options. Hours: unknown.
Information Desk – Yes (Arrivals Hall)
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Prayer Room – There is a mosque on the airport grounds. Location: unknown.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to [email protected] and we will update this airport guide.
Information not available.
The cheapest, but certainly not the fastest way to town is by ferry and bus. This mode of travel can take 3 hours or more.
Sea Coach Express offers a water taxi service between the airport and town. You’ll see the water taxi station when you exit the airport and walk to the right. This option is faster than the ferry, taking about 30 minutes, but costs around $40 USD for a ticket. Unfortunately, at the time of this December 2017 update, we don’t have the current rate.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.