Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Hong Kong Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
we actually just slept on the floor because we were so tired and didn’t have to time to look for somewhere better. My dad crawled under the seats so as to be out of the way. – Steve
HKG Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Hong Kong International Airport.
What to Expect
Hong Kong Airport (code: HKG) is a massive complex featuring two terminals (1 and 2), and two separate concourses (North Satellite and Midfield). While the terminals and concourses are connected by a driverless train, getting around each terminal or concourse may still require significant walking, even despite moving sidewalks. Wear comfy shoes! There are plenty of options for shopping, dining and entertainment throughout the airport. Head to Terminal 1 to shop at the SkyMart or Terminal 2 to the SkyPlaza to be entertained. Free WiFi is available, and there are plenty of power outlets with which to charge your mobile devices; however, be advised that they only take Hong Kong/English plugs and USB. For additional comfort, passengers can pay to use one of the 24-hour airport lounges, some of which offer showers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and hours.
Sleeping in Hong Kong Airport
In seeking out suitable sleeping areas, you’ll need to be airside, as there is very little seating landside. On the airside, many seats and benches have no armrests which makes it easier to stretch out. While reviews are mixed, finding good sleeping nooks appears to be more a case of seek hard enough and you will find rather than there being a lack of them. In fact travellers’ positive reports include relaxation rooms, resting rooms, semi-secluded lounge chairs near gates, comfortable sleeping chairs behind shops near a food court, and lots of armrest-free chairs in out-of-the-way areas. The airport remains busy at all hours and is considered very loud at night, especially when cleaning staff are about, so make sure to bring earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones. Explore our guide to sleeping in Hong Kong Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep there are hotels at Terminals 1 and 2, and several others nearby that provide shuttle service. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more info.
Good to Know
Be careful about staying landside. There have been multiple reports of scam artists preying on tourists asking for money or beer.
Have you already been to HKG airport? Write a review and share photos from your own experience.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Hong Kong Airport Guide.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Centurion Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, airside, Level 7, near Gate 60. Showers are available. Lounge Access: American Express cardholders • Centurion Card members.
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Gate 60) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 7, near Gate 60. Private resting areas ($) and showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Gate 35) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 6, Gate 35. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Gate 1) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 6, near Gate 1. Showers are available. Hours: 8:00AM – 12:30AM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
Plaza Premium First Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate 1, Level 6, Departures Level. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
Qantas Club – Location: Airside, Level 7, above Gate 15. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
United Club – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, West Concourse, Level 7, before Gate 61. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of United Airlines ticket • United Club Membership.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Midfield Concourse, Airside: Hong Kong Airlines VIP Lounge Club (Autus)
Terminal 1, Airside: Location: Cathay Pacific The Bridge • Cathay Pacific The Deck • Cathay Pacific The Pier Business Class Lounge • Cathay Pacific The Pier First Class Lounge • Cathay Pacific The Wing Business Class Lounge • Cathay Pacific The Wing First Class Lounge • Hong Kong Airlines VIP Lounge (Club Bauhinia) • Singapore Airlines SilverKris Business Class Lounge • Sky Team Lounge • Thai Airways First Class Lounge • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Lounge • The Emirates Lounge • United Global First Lounge.
Related Pages: Hong Kong Airport Lounges
If sleeping in the airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels at Hong Kong Airport and nearby hotels with free shuttle:
At Airport Refreshhh by Aerotel – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, near Gates 35 and 60. Private “relaxation cabins” for single passengers that can rented in blocks of 1 – 6 hours. cabins come equipped with showers. Accessible to Terminal 1 passengers in transit only. Bookings by email: [email protected]
At Airport Regal Airport Hotel – Connected to Terminal 1 via air-conditioned bridge. The hotel is a 2 minute walk or 1 minute drive via scheduled airport shuttle. Day rooms are available for use from 9:00AM to 9:00PM.
Near Airport Novotel Hotel Citygate – (5 minutes from the airport) A free airport shuttle runs between the Car Park 1 at Terminal 1 (Bay 11-14) and the hotel every 20 minutes from 6:00AM to 11:40PM.
Near Airport Sky City Marriott – (5 minutes from the airport) A free airport shuttle bus runs between the airport and the hotel between 5:00AM and 12:30AM. The shuttle can be found at Car Park 1, Terminal 1, Bay 11/12. If you require assistance, you can find an Airport Representative at B05 Marriott Counter in Terminal 1.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Hong Kong Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Hong Kong Airport. WiFi is available throughout all terminals, but the signals tend to be stronger in some areas. Connect to the “#HKAirport Free WiFi” network. No registration required!
If you don’t have your own mobile device to connect to the internet, you can use a desktop computer with free internet access at any one of 36 locations (with 94 desktop computers available) airside in Terminal 1 and Midfield Concourse. The Internet Zone on the Departures Level in the North Satellite Concourse offers an additional 6 computers.
- Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from the airport’s post office. Location: T1, landside, Check-In Hall, near Check-In F Hours: unknown. Additionally, 3 post boxes can be found throughout the terminals.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Located throughout the airport are 39 nursing rooms, each equipped with infant feeding and diaper-changing facilities. There are 17 nursing rooms in Terminal 1, 5 nursing rooms in Terminal 2, 4 nursing rooms in North Satellite Concourse, 11 nursing rooms in Midfield Concourse and 2 nursing rooms in SkyPier. Strollers are available free of charge, Airside only.
- Children’s TV Lounges and Play Areas –
- TV Lounges – Colorful areas for watching cartoons and children’s shows. Games and toys are also available. Seven locations can be found throughout Terminal 1, North Satellite Concourse and Midfield Concourse.
- Play Areas – Two locations: T1, airside, Departures Level, between Gates 23 – 25 • North Satellite Concourse, airside, Departures Level, between Gates 509 – 510.
- Dream Come True Education Park – An educational and interactive exhibit designed to let children experience real life working situations through costumed role play. Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM (Daily).
- Strollers – Free strollers offering additional space for small luggage are available.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking water station are available free of charge. Each station dispenses both hot and cold water, useful for tea-making or preparing cup of noodles! There are over 50 stations in the airport. Locations: T1, airside, Departures Level, Level 6, near Gates 1, 15, 26, 34, 44 and 61 • T1, airside, Departures Level, Level 4, near 4.3 women’s restroom • T1, airside, Arrivals Level, Level 5, near transfer area E2 • North Satellite Concourse SkyPier, airside, Departures Level, Level 5, near women’s restroom • North Satellite Concourse SkyPier, airside, Departures Level, Level 4, opposite Berths 5 and 6.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1 -Airside: Bari-Uma & Sinsa Eat Korean KitchenMoon (Level 7, food court) • Duddell’s (Level 7, food court) • Gordon Ramsay Plane Food to Go (Level 7, food court) • Putien (Level 7, food court) • Thai Express (Level 7, food court) • Putien (Level 7, food court) • Starbucks (Level 6, near Gate 15 and near Gate 21) • Tasty Congee & Noodle Wantun Soup (Departures Level, L7).
- Terminal 1 – Landside: 7-Eleven (Check-in Aisle F) • Cafe de Coral (Check-in Aisle F) • Hung Fook Tong (Check-in Aisle F) • McDonald’s (Check-in Aisle F) • Starbucks (Level 7, Check-in Aisle A).
- Terminal 1 – Arrivals: 7-Eleven (before Immigration Hall • Arrivals L5) •Tonkotsu 8 (Level 5) • Tai Hing (Level 5) • Tonkotsu (Arrivals, Level 5).
- Terminal 2 – Landside: 7-Eleven (Check-in Hall, Departures 5 • Mainland/Macau Transport Center) • Hung Fook Tong (Arrivals, Level 3).
- Airport Ambassadors – If you are lost and need to find your way, look for the friendly people in the red coats. The Airport Ambassadors will help you get to your desired location.
- Information Desk – 13 Customer Service Centres are located throughout the airport for assistance with information on airport facilities, directions, maps and other inquiries. During off-hours, Help phones are available at each location to connect you to a 24-hour information call center. Locations: 11 locations found airside and landside in Terminal 1 • 2 locations landside in Terminal 2.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – If you want to relieve yourself from the burden of heavy baggage, luggage storage is available on an hourly and daily basis. Location: Terminal 2, Landside, Arrivals Level 3, Mainland/Macau Transport Center. Hours: 5:30AM – 1:30AM. Rates: HK$ 12 (hourly) • HK$ 140 (daily).
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from damage or theft by having wrapped in plastic. Kiosks are available in several check-in areas of both terminals. Rates: unknown.
- Medical Centre – Need medical assistance? You can help at these two locations: Terminal 1, Landside, Departures L6. Hours: 24 hours • Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate 34. Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM, closed for a break 4:00PM – 5:00PM.
- Pharmacy – If you need professional pharmaceutical help, stop by Watsons. Staffed by a team of pharmacists, dieticians and a nurse, you’re sure to find any last minute medications. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, L6, Gates 40 • Terminal 1, Landside, Arrivals, L5. If you just need last minute general health supplies,Mannings has 12 locations in Terminals 1, 3both landside and airside. Hours vary but most open at 7:00AM and a few close as late as 1:00AM.
- Mobile Charging – More than 3,500 charging points are available throughout the airport. All use 3-rectangular-pin fused plug (rated at 13A) or a USB connector, but if you don’t have either, Qi-certified wireless charging points are available at boarding gates 1, 15, 33 and 34.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal 1.
- Banking Services – Bank of China provides full-service banking and currency exchange services. Location: T1, landside, Arrivals, Level 5. Hours: Vary per location.
- Currency Exchange – There are 9 Global Exchange Desks and 9 Travelex Desks available throughout the airport (landside and airside). The following locations are 24 hours:
- Global Exchange – Terminal 1, Airside, Departures, L6 • Terminal 1, Landside, after customs, L5, Arrivals.
- Travelex – Terminal 1, Airside, Departures, L6 • Terminal 1, Landside, after customs, L5, Arrivals.
- Prayer Rooms – Peaceful areas for prayer and meditation are available. A Qiblah (directional sign) and foot washing basin are available in all prayer rooms. Locations:
- Landside: Terminal 1, Check-in Isle A, Departures L7 • Terminal 2, Check-in Hall, L5.
- Airside: Terminal 1, near Gate 42, Departures L6 • North Satellite Concourse, near Gate 501-510, L5 • Midfield Concourse, near Gate 211, L6.
Rest & Relaxation
- Caring Corner – The Caring Corner is a special area for disabled travellers, pregnant women and the elderly to relax in comfy seating with televisions. Locations: Terminal 1 (Airside, near Gates 1 and 36, Level 6 • Airside, Transit Area E1, Level 5 • Airside, Transit Area E2, Level 5.
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Resting lounges can be found throughout the airport whether you are departing or transiting. Look for the renovated (2019) Relaxation Corner which offers comfy leather recliners, WiFi, charging points and massage services nearby. Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 6, near Gate 23.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. A traveller recently reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available throughout the Departures and Arrivals areas of T1. Throughout the airport is a huge variety of retail shops selling high fashion, local delicacies, teas, traditional Chinese medicines and whatever else you can think of, so welcome to shopper’s paradise!
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Free showers are available in Terminal 1, Airside, Arrivals Level 5, near Gate 22 and near Gate 43. Hours: Open 24 hours. Showers are also available in a few of the lounges. See Airport Lounges above.
- Spa & Salon Services – Feel your stress melt away with a massage, available at the Relaxation Corner. Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 6, near Gate 23. Hours: 6:30AM – 12:30AM. Rates & Services: Acupressure, Reflexology and Massage for $230/ 20 minutes or $298 / 30 minutes.
- Smoking – Smoking is permitted in designated locations including smoking lounges.
Things to do & see
- Aviation Discovery Center – Learn about the history of Hong Kong’s aviation through aviation-themed exhibits and attractions, including SkyDeck! Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 11:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 9:30AM – 10:00PM (Sat, Sun and holidays).
- Exhibitions – The airport offers a variety of activities such as tea-making demonstrations, Chinese Medicinal Workshops and Art Exhibits with changing themes. The schedule changes every month. Various locations.
- Golf – The Sky City Nine Eagles Golf Course is near Terminal 2. Equipment rental is available. Getting there: a shuttle bus departs from Terminal 2, Gate 18
- GreenLive AIR – Play 9-hole or 18-hole golf indoors at GreenLive AIR indoor golf simulator. Embroidered GreenLive AIR souvenirs are also available. Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 10:00AM – 10:00PM.
- IMAX Theatre – Enjoy 2D and 3D movies on Hong Kong’s largest IMAX screen at UA IMAX Theatre @Airport. Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 11:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 9:30AM – 10:00PM (Sat, Sun and holidays).
- i-Sports – i-Sports offers various sports simulators such as soccer, basketball, golf, boxing, skiing, car racing, shooting. Location: Terminal 2, Landside. Hours: 11:00AM – 9:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Hong Kong airport is served by the following airlines: Aeroflot • Air Astana • Air Busan • Air Canada • Air China • Air Explore • Air France • Air India • Air Mauritius • Air New Zealand • Air Niugini • Air Seoul • AirAsia • ANA • American Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Aurora Airlines • Bangkok Airways • British Airways • Cathay Dragon • Cathay Pacific • Cebu Pacific Air • China Airlines • China Eastern • China Southern • Eastar Jet • Egyptair • EL AL Israel Airlines • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad • EVA Air • Eznis Airways • Fiji Airways • Finnair • Garuda Indonesia • HK Express • Hong Kong Airlines • IndiGo • Japan Airlines • Jeju Air • Jetstar • Jin Air • Juneyao Airlines • Kenya Airways • KLM • Korean Air • Lanmei Airlines • Lufthansa • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Air • Mandarin Airlines • MIAT Mongolian Airlines • Myanmar National Airlines • Nepal Airlines • Peach Aviation • Philippine Airlines • Qantas Airways • Qatar Airways • Royal Brunei Airlines • Royal Jordanian • S7 Airlines • SAS • Scoot • Shandong Airlines • Shanghai Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • Sichuan Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Sky Angkor Airlines • South African Airways • SpiceJet • Spring Airlines • Swiss • T’way Air • Thai AirAsia • Thai Airways • Thai Smile Airways • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Vanilla Air • VietJet Air • Vietnam Airlines • Virgin Atlantic Airways • Virgin Australia • Xiamen Airlines.
The Airport Express train travels between the airport and central Hong Kong in 24 minutes, departing daily in 10 – 12 minute intervals from 5:54AM – 12:48AM. Passengers can download the MTR “Next Train” app for live up-to-date train schedules. Many “freebies” are included with the Express Train; free porter service; free flight check-in service if traveling from Hong Kong and Kowloon stations (available 90 minutes to 24 hours before flight departure); free shuttle service to area hotels and transportation hubs when arriving into Hong Kong and Kowloon stations. For more information on fares, schedules and routes, visit the MTR website.
The airport bus terminal is located outside and down the ramp to the right of the Arrivals Hall exit. Several different types of buses are available: “A” Routes (Airbus service), “E” Routes (External Bus services), “NA” routes (Overnight Express Bus services), “N” routes (Overnight Bus services), “S” routes (Shuttle Bus service to the airport). Buses announcements are spoken in Mandarin, Cantonese and English. Passengers need exact fare or Octopus card. For more information on schedules, routes and fares, visit the Citybus or Long Win Bus websites.
Taxis can be found at the airport’s Taxi Station, located outside near the ramp to the left of the Arrivals Hall exit. Three different color-coded taxis are available:
- Urban (red) taxis serve Hong Kong (except Tung Chung Road and roads in south Lantau).
- New Territories NT (green) taxis serve the New Territories and specific roads in Lantau.
- Lantau (blue) taxis serve all of Lantau and the airport
Baggage fees are charged for all luggage placed in the baggage compartment of the taxi and luggage over 140cm placed in the passenger compartment. Most taxis can hold up to three pieces of regular-sized luggage.
Several hotels near Hong Kong Airport offer free shuttle service. Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttles: Disney’s Hollywood Hotel • Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel • Novotel Citygate Hong Kong • Regal Airport Hotel.
Vigor Airport Shuttle Services provides a hotel coach service between the airport and major hotels in Hong Kong. Tickets can be purchased in Terminal 1 from Counter B01 in Arrivals Hall B. Buses depart from the Terminal 2 coach station.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Please note: Be sure to have all necessary identification, travel documents and visas before boarding any transportation going between Hong Kong and mainland China.
For transportation options to mainland China including bus, ferry, limousine service, visit the Hong Kong Airport website.
Last updated: 2020-06-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.