Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Hong Kong Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
we actually just slept on the floor because we were so tired and didn’t have to time to look for somewhere better. My dad crawled under the seats so as to be out of the way. – Steve
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Hong Kong International Airport.
What to Expect
Hong Kong International Airport is a massive complex featuring two terminals (1 and 2), and two separate concourses (North Satellite and Midfield). While the terminals and concourses are connected by a driverless train, getting around each terminal or concourse may still require significant walking, even despite level escalators. Wear comfy shoes! There are plenty of options for shopping, dining and entertainment throughout the airport, though Terminals 1 and 2 probably offer the most amenities, as they both include shopping malls. Free WiFi is available, and there are plenty of power outlets with which to charge your mobile devices; however, be advised that they only take Hong Kong/English plugs and USB. For additional comfort, passengers can pay to use one of the 24-hour airport lounges, some of which offer showers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and hours.
Where to Sleep
In seeking out suitable sleeping areas, you’ll need to be airside, as there is very little seating landside. On the airside, many seats and benches have no armrests which makes it easier to stretch out. While reviews are mixed, finding good sleeping nooks appears to be more a case of seek hard enough and you will find rather than there being a lack of them. In fact travellers’ positive reports include relaxation rooms, resting rooms, semi-secluded lounge chairs near gates, comfortable sleeping chairs behind shops near a food court, and lots of armrest-free chairs in out-of-the-way areas. The airport remains busy at all hours and is considered very loud at night, especially when cleaning staff are about, so make sure to bring earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones. Explore our guide to sleeping in Hong Kong Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep there are hotels at Terminals 1 and 2, and several others nearby that provide shuttle service. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more info.
Good to Know
Be careful about staying landside. There have been multiple reports of scam artists preying on tourists asking for money or beer.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (West Hall) – Location: Terminal 1, airside, Level 6, Departures Hall West Hall, near Gate 35. Private resting areas ($) and showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (East Hall) – Location: Terminal 1, airside, Level 6, Departures Hall East Hall, near Gate 1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Arrivals) – Location: Terminal 2, landside, Level 3. Private resting area ($) and showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
United Club – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, West Concourse, Level 7, before Gate 61. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of United Airlines ticket • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Hong Kong Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
At Airport Regal Airport Hotel – Connected to Terminal 1 via air-conditioned bridge. The hotel is a 2 minute walk or 1 minute drive via scheduled airport shuttle. Day rooms are available for use from 9:00AM to 9:00PM. » Check Rates
Near Airport Novotel Hotel Citygate – (5 minutes from the airport) A free airport shuttle runs between the B16 counter at Arrival Hall and the hotel every 15 minutes from 6:00AM to 11:45PM. » Check Rates
Near Airport Sky City Marriott – (5 minutes from the airport) A free airport shuttle bus runs between the airport and the hotel every 20 minutes. The shuttle can be found at Terminal 2 Bay 29/30 from 5:10AM to 12:50AM. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Hong Kong Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Hong Kong Airport. WiFi is available throughout all terminals, but the signals tend to be stronger in some areas. Connect to the “#HKAirport Free WiFi” network. No registration required!
If you don’t have your own mobile device to connect to the internet, you can use a desktop computer with free internet access at any one of 36 locations (with 94 desktop computers available) airside in Terminal 1 and Midfield Concourse. The Internet Zone on the Departures Level in the North Satellite Concourse offers an additional 6 computers.
- Post Office – Location: T1, landside, Check-In Hall, near Check-In F Hours: unknown.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Located throughout the airport are 39 nursing rooms, each equipped with infant feeding and diaper-changing facilities. There are 17 nursing rooms in Terminal 1, 5 nursing rooms in Terminal 2, 4 nursing rooms in North Satellite Concourse, 11 nursing rooms in Midfield Concourse and 2 nursing rooms in SkyPier. Strollers are available free of charge, Airside only.
- Children’s TV Lounges and Play Areas –
- TV Lounges – Colorful areas for watching cartoons and children’s shows. Games are also available. Six locations: T1, airside, Departures Level, near Gates 1, 15, 41 and 60 • Midfield Concourse, airside, Departures Level, near Gates 210 and 212.
- Play Areas – Two locations: T1, airside, Departures Level, between Gates 23 – 25 • North Satellite Concourse, airside, Departures Level, between Gates 509 – 510.
- Dream Come True Education Park – An educational and interactive exhibit designed to let children experience real life working situations through costumed role play. Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 9:30AM – 7:00PM (Daily).
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking water station are available free of charge. Each station dispenses both hot and cold water, useful for tea-making or preparing cup of noodles! There are over 50 stations in the airport. Locations: T1, airside, Departures Level, Level 6, near Gates 1, 15, 26, 34, 44 and 61 • T1, airside, Departures Level, Level 4, near 4.3 women’s restroom • T1, airside, Arrivals Level, Level 5, near transfer area E2 • North Satellite Concourse SkyPier, airside, Departures Level, Level 5, near women’s restroom • North Satellite Concourse SkyPier, airside, Departures Level, Level 4, opposite Berths 5 and 6.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1: Ajisen Ramen (Airside, Departures East Hall, Level 7 • Airside, Departures, Midfield Concourse, Level 6) • Hung Fook Tong (Landside, Departures Check-In Hall, Level 7) • McDonald’s (Landside, Arrivers Greeters & Meeters Hall, Level 5 • Airside, Departures East Hall, Level 7) • Starbucks (Airside, Departures Central Concourse, Level 6 • Landside, Departures Check-In Hall, Level 7) • 7-Eleven convenience store (Landside, Arrivers Greeters & Meeters Hall, Level 5 • Airside, Arrivals Pre-immigration Hall, Level 5 • Landside, Departures Check-in Hall, Level 7) • Cafe de Coral (Airside, Departures, east Hall, Level 7)
- Terminal 2: 7-Eleven convenience store (Landside, Level 3, 2 locations) • Hung Fook Tong (Landside, Level 3)
- Airport Ambassadors – If you are lost and need to find your way, look for the friendly people in the red coats. The Airport Ambassadors will help you get to your desired location.
- Information Desk – Eleven Customer Service Centres are located throughout the airport for assistance with information on airport facilities, directions, maps and other inquiries. During off-hours, Help phones are available at each location to connect you to a 24-hour information call center.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers
- Terminal 1 – Hours: 5:30AM – 1:30AM. Rates: HK$ 40 (3 hours) | HK$ 55 (3-24 hours) | HK$ 130 (24-48 hours). Location: Level 5, Arrivals Hall
- Terminal 2 – Hours: 9:00AM – 9:00PM for screening | 24 hours for retrieval. Rates: HK$ 20-30 (4 hours) | HK$ 30-40 (each 12 hours). Location: Level 3, Shop 001
- Pharmacy – Mannings has 12 locations in Terminals 1, 2 and the SkyPier – both landside and airside. Hours vary but most open at 7:00AM and a few close as late as 1:00AM.
- Mobile Charging – More than 3,500 charging points are available throughout the airport. All use 3-rectangular-pin fused plug (rated at 13A) or a USB connector, but if you don’t have either, Qi-certified wireless charging points are available at boarding gates 1, 15, 33 and 34.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Bank of China, HSBC and Citibank have ATMs landside and airside in T1. HSBC and Bank of China have ATMs in T2, landside on Level 3. Travelex ATMs dispense foreign currencies 24-hour a day from six locations, landside and airside, in T1.
- Banking Services – The following full-service banks are available: Bank of China (T1, landside, Departures Check-In Hall, Level 7) • HSBC (T1, landside, Arrivals Meeters & Greeters Hall, Level 5 and T2, landside, Level 6) Hours: Vary per location.
- Currency Exchange -There are at least 25 banks and foreign currency kiosks available throughout the airport (landside and airside). Hours vary but some locations open as early as 5:00AM and close at 11:30PM.
- Prayer Rooms – Peaceful areas for prayer and meditation. A Qiblah (directional sign) and foot washing basin are available in all prayer rooms. Locations: T1, airside, Level 6, near Gate 42 • North Satellite Concourse, airside, Level 5, near Gate 501 • Midfield Concourse, airside, Level 6, near Gate 211. Hours: 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Caring Corner – The Caring Corner is a special area for disabled travellers, pregnant women and the elderly to relax in comfy seating with televisions. Locations: Terminal 1 (Airside, near Gates 1 and 36, Level 6 • Airside, Transit Area E1, Level 5 • Airside, Transit Area E2, Level 5.
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Relax in comfortable rest chairs in between flights. Locations: Departures Level near Gates 21, 34, 41, and 61.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available throughout the Departures and Arrivals areas of T1, on Level 3 in T2, and on Level 4 of the SkyPier. Throughout the airport is a huge variety of retail shops selling high fashion, local delicacies, teas, traditional Chinese medicines and whatever else you can think of, so welcome to shopper’s paradise!
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Location: Terminal 1 – Plaza Shower and Relaxation Lounge. (Level 7, Departures Hall West Hall). Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Spa & Salon Services – Offering massage, manicures, beauty treatments, and organic skincare products are available at Wellness Spa & Salon. Location: T1, airside, Departures North Concourse, Level 6 Hours: 8:30AM – 10:30PM.
- Smoking – Smoking is permitted in designated locations including smoking lounges.
Things to do & see
- Aviation Discovery Center – Learn about the history of Hong Kong’s aviation through aviation-themed exhibits and attractions, including SkyDeck! Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 11:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 9:30AM – 10:00PM (Sat, Sun and holidays).
- Exhibitions – The airport offers a variety of activities such as tea-making demonstrations and Chinese Medicinal Workshops. The schedule changes every month. Various locations.
- Golf – The Sky City Nine Eagles Golf Course is near Terminal 2. Equipment rental is available. Getting there: a shuttle bus departs from Terminal 2, Gate 18
- GreenLive AIR – Play 9-hole or 18-hole golf indoors at GreenLive AIR indoor golf simulator. Embroidered GreenLive AIR souvenirs are also available. Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 9:00AM – 9:00PM.
- IMAX Theatre – Enjoy 2D and 3D movies on Hong Kong’s largest IMAX screen at UA IMAX Theatre @Airport. Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 11:00AM – 10:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 9:30AM – 10:00PM (Sat, Sun and holidays).
- i-Sports – i-Sports offers various sports simulators such as soccer, basketball, golf, boxing, skiing, car racing, shooting. Location: Terminal 2, Landside. Hours: 11:00AM – 9:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Hong Kong airport is served by the following airlines: Air Busan • Air Explore • Air New Zealand • Air Seoul • Aeroflot • Air Astana • Air Canada • Air China • Air France • Air India • Air Mauritius • Air Niugini • AirAsia • ANA • American Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Aurora Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Bangkok Airways • British Airways • Cambodia Angkor Air • Cathay Pacific • Cebu Pacific Air • China Airlines • China Eastern • China Southern • Delta Air • Eastar Jet • EL AL Israel Airlines • Etihad Airways • EVA Air • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Fiji Airways • Finnair AY • Garuda Indonesia • Hong Kong Airlines • JC Airlines • Japan Airlines • Jeju Air •Jet Airways • Jetstar • Jin Air • Juneyao Airlines • KLM • Korean Air • Lanmei Airlines • Lufthansa • Malindo Air • MIAT Mongolian Airlines • Malaysia Airlines • Mandarin Airlines • Mega Maldives • Myanmar National Airlines • Nepal Airlines • Peach Aviation • Philippine Airlines • Qantas Airways • Qatar Airways • Royal Brunei Airlines • Royal Jordanian • S7 Airlines • SAS • Scoot • Swiss • Shandong Airlines • Shanghai Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • Sichuan Airlines • Singapore Airlines • South African Airways • Spring Airlines • Sri Lankan Airlines • Thai Airways • Turkish Airlines • T’way Air • United Airlines • Virgin Australia • Vanilla Air • VietJet Air • Vietnam Airlines • Virgin Atlantic Airways • Xiamen Airlines.
The Airport Express train travels between the airport and central Hong Kong in 24 minutes, departing daily in 10 – 12 minute intervals from 5:54AM – 12:48AM. Passengers can download the MTR “Next Train” app for live up-to-date train schedules. Many “freebies” are included with the Express Train; free porter service; free flight check-in service if traveling from Hong Kong and Kowloon stations (available 90 minutes to 24 hours before flight departure); free shuttle service to area hotels and transportation hubs when arriving into Hong Kong and Kowloon stations. For more information on fares, schedules and routes, visit the MTR website.
The airport bus terminal is located outside and down the ramp to the right of the Arrivals Hall exit. Several different types of buses are available: “A” Routes (Airbus service), “E” Routes (External Bus services), “NA” routes (Overnight Express Bus services), “N” routes (Overnight Bus services), “S” routes (Shuttle Bus service to the airport). Buses announcements are spoken in Mandarin, Cantonese and English. Passengers need exact fare or Octopus card. For more information on schedules, routes and fares, visit the Citybus or Long Win Bus websites.
Taxis can be found at the airport’s Taxi Station, located outside near the ramp to the left of the Arrivals Hall exit. Three different color-coded taxis are available:
- Urban (red) taxis serve Hong Kong (except Tung Chung Road and roads in south Lantau).
- New Territories NT (green) taxis serve the New Territories and specific roads in Lantau.
- Lantau (blue) taxis serve all of Lantau and the airport
Baggage fees are charged for all luggage placed in the baggage compartment of the taxi and luggage over 140cm placed in the passenger compartment. Most taxis can hold up to three pieces of regular-sized luggage.
Vigor Airport Shuttle Services provides a hotel coach service between the airport and major hotels in Hong Kong. Tickets can be purchased in Terminal 1 from Counter B01 in Arrivals Hall B. Buses depart from the Terminal 2 coach station. Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttles: Disney’s Hollywood Hotel • Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel • Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel • Novotel Citygate Hong Kong • Regal Airport Hotel.
Please note: Be sure to have all necessary identification, travel documents and visas before boarding any transportation going between Hong Kong and mainland China.
For transportation options to mainland China including bus, ferry, limousine service, visit the Hong Kong Airport website.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.