Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Madrid-Barajas Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Madrid Barajas best place to sleep is in the departure area, upstairs, about 20 people here right now between checkin point nr.153 and 130. No seats but with a coat on the floor and the backpack as a pillow is quite confi! And best thing, Free WiFi :)-Мичаи on Facebook
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Madrid-Barajas Airport (Code: MAD).
What to Expect
Madrid-Barajas is one of Europe’s largest and busiest airports. It has five terminals: T1, T2, T3, T4 and T4S. T1, T2 and T3 are located in the same building, while T4 and T4S are connected by train and shuttle busses. T4 is the newest and most modern of the bunch, and T4S is its satellite terminal. T1 houses the low-cost carrier airlines, and has fewer seats and facilities. The airport has a decent range of restaurants and shops, with 24-hour options located in T1, T2, T4 and T4S, and vending machines throughout. Travellers also have access to free, unlimited WiFi. Otherwise, amenities here are fairly run of the mill. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges, some of which have showers, that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Madrid Airport
Madrid-Barajas Airport offers a bare-bones sleeping experience for those who qualify. Around 11PM, security will begin checking paperwork, evicting those without valid boarding tickets. Assuming you do qualify to sleep overnight, it’s best to come here prepared. The layout doesn’t offer much privacy, and the tiled floors can be cold. The lights are also left on overnight, so an eye mask is a must. There are rest zones located in T4S with padded recliners, and some soft seats at the McDonalds in T4, the Mahoudrid Coffee Shop benches in T1, and around E82 in T3. Otherwise, T2, T3 and T4 have a sprinkling of armrest-free wooden benches. Explore our guide to sleeping in Madrid-Barajas Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there are sleep rooms available in Terminal 4 with showers, and hotels nearby connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Madrid-Barajas Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges e that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Sala VIP Cibeles – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, P2, non-Schengen flights, between Gates B26 and 29. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Sala Puerta de Alcala – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, near Gate D62. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Sala VIP Puerta Del Sol – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, P2, domestic & Schengen flights, near Gate E69. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Plaza Mayor – Location: Terminal 4, Airside, 1st Floor. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Neptuno Lounge – Location: Terminal 4, Satellite, Airside, Non-Schegen area, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Premium Traveller Arrivals Lounge – Location: Terminal 4,Landside, Arrivals Hall, Level 1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
Related Pages: Madrid Barajas Airport Lounges
If sleeping in Madrid-Barajas Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport. Most hotels are located near Terminals 1 and 2, so if you are flying in or out of Terminal 4 travel times will be longer.
Inside Airport Air Rooms – There are 22 rooms located inside Terminal 4 on Floor 1 (landside). Rooms can be booked for day use (3 or 6 hours) between the hours 10:00AM – 6:00PM or overnight. Showers are available. A shower kit consisting of a towel, gel and and slippers are provided.
Near Airport Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto Barajas – Free airport shuttle runs 6:30AM – 11:00AM and 7:30PM – 12:00AM.
Near Airport TRYP Madrid Alameda Aeropuerto Hotel – Free airport shuttle runs 24-hour all year round. There is a sign posted outside of each terminal that says “BUSES HOTEL”. This hotel shares an airport shuttle with Melia Barajas Hotel. Call 917 477 700 for airport pick-up on demand.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Madrid Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free unlimited WiFi is available at Madrid-Barajas Airport. Connect to the “AIRPORT FREE WIFI AENA” network. Additionally, there are internet access points located throughout the Terminals. Some of these have printers and free mobile chargers.
- Business Centre – A variety of different sized Business centers/Meeting rooms are available at the airport. Locations: Terminal 1 • (5) Terminal 2 • (4) Terminal 4.
- Printing / Fax – Need to send an outgoing fax, or print important documents? The airport’s post office can assist. Rates: unknown. [ See Postal Services below ].
- Work Areas – If you are looking for a quiet area to get your work done, the airport offers passengers work areas which are desks equipped with charging points for all your devices. Locations: Terminal 4, Ground Floor & Level 1 • Terminal 4S, Airside, Level 1.
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailboxes available landside in T1, T2 and T4. A post office, which also offers fax and printing services, is located in T1, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0. Hours: 8:30AM – 2:30PM (Mon-Fri) • 9:30AM – 1:00PM (Sat) • Closed (Sun).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities
- Changing table, microwave, cot, play area (for kids up to 6 years old), comfortable seating and more are available in the Breastfeeding Lounge. Locations: T2, airside, Boarding Area D, 1st Floor • T4, airside, Boarding Area, 1st Floor. Hours for both locations: 8:00AM – 8:00PM.
- Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, in the boarding area of all terminals. Some luggage trolleys are retrofitted with infant carriers for babies up to 6 months. They are available for use at all terminals, free of charge.
- Children’s Play Areas – There is a playground located in Terminal 2, airside, Boarding Area. Additionally, you will find close to 20 play areas throughout the terminals.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1 – Mahoudrid (Arrivals, landside, Level 0).
- Terminal 2 – Espression Lavazza (Departures, landside, Level 2).
- Terminal 4 – Eating Point (Departures, airside, Level 1, Boarding Area J) • Mahoudrid (Arrivals, landside, Level 0) • McDonald’s (Departures, landside, Level 2 and Departures, airside, Level 1, Boarding Area J).
- Terminal 4S – Barilla Express Airport (Airside, Level 1, Departures, Boarding Area S)
- Throughout the airport – There are 250 vending machines located in all terminals on all floors. Machines offer hot and cold beverages and at some locations, an assortment of sandwiches and snacks.
- Information Desks – There is no shortage of information points available at the airport. Virtual hostesses can be found in every Terminal near check-in/boarding areas. In addition, Skycap Teams are available at 18 different locations throughout the Terminals, most of which are open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – If you want to relieve yourself from the burden of heavy baggage, luggage can be stored at the Left Luggage Office at the following rates: €6 per bag/item for up to 2 hours • €10 per bag/item for up to 24 hours or per 24-hour period. Rates are higher for oversized luggage and discounts apply for longer storage terms. Locations: T1, Ground Floor, landscaped area in front of Hall 2 (Hours: 24 hours) • T2, 1st Floor, Landside (Hours: 5:00PM – 10:00PM) • T4, Arrivals Hall, Ground Floor (Hours: 24 hours).
- Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your bags? Luggage carts are available outside throughout the airport. Fee: unknown.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic by Secure Bag and Bag. Services available at 15 locations throughout Terminals 1, 2 and 4. Hours and rates are not known.
- Medical Service – If you feel unwell or injure yourself, medical centers are available. Locations: T2, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T4, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T4S, airside, Boarding Area M, Ground Floor (Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM).
- Pharmacy – Farmacia has four locations: T1, landside, Departures, Floor 0 (Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM) • T2, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:30PM) • T4, airside, Departures, 1st Floor (Hours: 7:00AM – 10:30PM) • T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor & T4, airside, Departures, 1st Floor (Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM).
- Mobile Charging – The airport has work desks with outlets for charging your devices. Locations: T4, Boarding Areas • T4S • T4, Baggage Claim. A reader reports that the Mahoudrid coffee shop (T1) also has plenty of power outlets.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside in all Terminals except T3, which only offers an Airside ATM.
- Banking Services – Bankia provides full banking services. Locations: T4, Floor 2, Check-in area. • T2, Floor 2, Departures. Hours for both locations: 8:15AM – 2:15PM (Thursdays until 7:15PM during high season).
- Currency Exchange – Currency exchange offices throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These are open 24 hours: Exact Change (T1, Baggage Reclaim Hall 1) • Global Exchange (T4, landside, Check-In, 2nd Floor • T4S, airside, Boarding Area, 1st Floor).
- Prayer Spaces – Barajas airport has a few spaces for religious services and prayer which are open daily between the hours of 6:00AM – 10:30PM:
- Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Chapel – Mass at 11:00AM on Sundays and holidays. Location: T1, landside, 2nd Floor.
- Nuestra Señora de Loreto Chapel – Mass at 11:00AM (Mon, Wed, Thurs) and 7:00PM (Sat and eve of holidays). Location: T2, landside, 1st Floor.
- Chapel of Santiago – Mass at 11:00AM (Mon, Wed, Thurs) and 1:00PM (Sun and eve of holidays). Location: T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor.
- Mosque – Location: T1, landside, 2nd Floor • T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor.
- Oratory – Location: T1, landside, 2nd Floor • T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Terminal 4S has a few rest areas. A reader tells us “There are two nice rest areas past gate 17, overlooking the flight control tower. They have padded reclined chairs with lamps, to outlets and 2 USB ports and are surrounded with a low barrier from traffic in the terminal. Two islands containing 6 seats each give 12 travelers a comfortable place to hang out for a bit.” Another reader says there are “Great padded recliners and long padded bench with no armrest in T4S near gates S34 and S35.” (October 2019)
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available throughout all terminals, along with a wide variety of retail shops. The Market (T4, Landside) may come in handy for snack and drink needs. Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available in the Air Rooms [ see Airport Hotels above ]. Location: Terminal 4, Floor 1. Rate: starting at 45.00 € includes a 30 minute shower and access to the VIP Lounge (Free WiFi and Free Breakfast or snacks).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Madrid Barajas airport is served by the following airlines:
- Terminal 1: Aeroflot • Aerolíneas Argentinas Aeroméxico Air Arabia Air Canada • Air China • Air Europa • Air India • Air Serbia • Air Transat • Almasria Universal Airlines • Beijing Capital Airlines • Blue Air • China Eastern • Cubana Airlines • Delta • Easyjet • EgyptAir • Enter Air • Estelar Aerolíneas • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Fly Egypt • Hainan Airlines • Korean Air • Laudamotion • Middle East Airlines • Nesma Airlines • Nile Air • Pegasus Airlines • Privilege Style • Ryanair • Saudia • TAROM • TunisAir • Turkish Airlines • United • Wamos Air • Wizz Air.
- Terminal 2: Aegean Airlines • Air Europa • Air France • Alitalia • Brussels Airlines • KLM • LOT • Lufthansa • Norwegian Air • Privilege Style • Swiss • TAP Portugal • Transavia • TUIFly Belgium • Volotea
- Terminal 4: Aer Lingus • Air Algerie • Air Baltic • Air Nostrum • American Airlines • Avianca • Boliviana de Aviación • British Airways • Bulgaria Air • Cathay Pacific • Ceiba Intercontinental • Czech Airlines • El-Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Evelop • Finnair • Iberia • LATAM • Luxair • Plus Ultra • Qatar Airways • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Jordanian Airlines • UIA • Vueling Airlines.
Several bus lines run from the airport to central Madrid, nearby locations and the rest of Spain. Estimated travel time to Atocha-Renfe is 40 minutes. Bus options include intercity buses, city buses, and long distance coaches.
The following car rental companies are available at Barajas Airport: Avis/Budget • Europcar/Interrent • Hertz/Firefly • Enterprise • Goldcar/InterRent • Sixt. Locations: Car Rental counters are located in Terminal 1 (Floor 0) and Terminal 4 (Floor -1).
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Axor Barajas Hotel • Axor Feria Hotel • Best Western Hotel Villa de Barajas • Clement Barajas Hotel • Hilton Madrid Airport • Hotel Nuevo Boston • Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto Barajas • Madrid Marriott Auditorium Hotel & Conference Center • Maydrit Hotel • Melia Barajas • NH Barajas • taCH Hotel • SHS Hotel Aeropuerto • TRYP Madrid Alameda Aeropuerto Hotel. You should contact each hotel directly for shuttle details, hours and rates (if applicable).
See also Airport Hotels above.
Do you need to transfer terminals or get to your car at the parking lot? The airport has a variety of options for you. Shuttle buses and the Automatic People Mover train will get you where you need to go. For schedule information, visit the Madrid Barajas Airport website.
From Terminal T4, Line C1 of Renfe Cercanias connects travelers directly from the airport to key locations throughout Madrid. Travel time from the airport to the Chamartin is approximately 11 minutes. You can purchase tickets at the ticket counter or machines at the train stations.
Taxis can be found outside the arrivals area of all terminals. It is advised to only take rides in official taxis, which are white with a red stripe and the coat-of-arms of Madrid City Council on the doors.
The underground Metro Line 8 runs from all airport terminals to the Nuevos Ministerios station in central Madrid. Travel time to the city center should take approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
Last updated: 2020-06-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.