Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our New York City LaGuardia Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I really think I heard the announcement in my head for days afterward. -a traveller
There have been multiple news reports of up to 50 homeless people and squatters taking over the terminals at night and even bathing (naked) in the public restrooms. Do not attempt to sleep here alone. We recommend you to get a hotel room or find an alternative overnight option until the situation improves!
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at New York City LaGuardia Airport.
What to Expect
New York City LaGuardia Airport is large, with four terminals (A, B, C, and D), so do anticipate walking a good distance to reach your gate. The biggest, Terminal B, is subdivided into four concourses. Terminal B recently unveiled a new wing featuring 11 Gates, seeing as it is brand new it may be a good option for amenities.
Unfortunately, the one thing everyone at LaGuardia can agree on are the outdated facilities, including faulty bathrooms and a mish-mash of seating. The airport has just embarked on some seriously necessary renovations, which are currently scheduled for completion some time in 2022, so expect noise and construction. On the positive side, WiFi here is free and unlimited. You’ll find a fairly standard range of dining and shopping outlets, though none are open 24-hours. Willing to pay for some creature comforts? A few lounges here are open to economy class travellers. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Where to Sleep
Despite flights coming and going at all hours, you won’t find many travellers spending the night here. A serious and well-known issue are the homeless people who seek shelter here nightly. And if that’s not enough to deter you, according to a 2018 review, you will be asked to leave between the hours 12:00AM – 4:00AM. Explore our guide to sleeping in LaGuardia Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. Several hotels are located near the airport, offering free shuttle service for guests. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more info.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
American Airlines Admirals Club – Location – Terminal B , Airside. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of America Airlines ticket • Lounge membership program. [ more lounge info ]
Airline Lounges (members only)
[ update ]
If sleeping in LaGuardia Airport does not appeal to you (and we really wouldn’t blame you!!!), there are hotels near the airport:
- New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott – (5 minutes from the airport) Located across from the Terminal C. Free airport shuttle is available on request. » Check Rates
- Hampton Inn New York LaGuardia Airport – (4 minutes from the airport) Located within walking distance of Terminal C (9 minutes). Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- LaGuardia Plaza Hotel – (4 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Aloft New York LaGuardia Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near LaGuardia Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
[ update ]
Free and unlimited WiFi is available at LaGuardia Airport. Connect to the “_Free LGA WiFi” network.
[ update ]
- Workstation Pods – Check out the Jabbrrbox pods designed for travellers to have a private work space or to catch up on social media. Pods are acoustically-sound, include secure free WiFi, flight-tracking abilities, terminal maps, Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free calling, a camera for video conference calls and more. Locations: 8 pods can be found in Terminal B, Airside near Gates B3/B5, C1/C3 and D4/D6. Rates: $15/30 minutes.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Need a comfortable and private place to nurse and care for your baby? Nursing suites can be found in the following locations: Terminal A (Airside, Arrivals) • Terminal B (Airside, at Gate C2, Gate D6 and B Gates near Gates 40 -59) • Terminal C – Pods can be found ( near the entrance to gates 28-42 • East just beyond Gate 14) • Airside D (TSA East Hallway at Gate D).
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are available in the airport.
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Hydration stations are available free of charge. Locations: various locations Landside and Airside.
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit the airport Welcome Centers for assistance. Locations: Terminal A, Landside, Arrivals • Terminal B, Airside, near Gates 40 – 59 • Terminal B, near American Airlines Baggage Claim • Terminal B, near Air Canada Baggage Claim.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Dental Services – There is a dentist’s office in Terminal B, on the 3rd floor.
- Mobile Charging – You can power up your mobile devices, free of charge, at mobile charging stations located landside and airside throughout the airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations:
- Terminal A – Travelex foreign currency ATM, can be found in Baggage Claim (Airside).
- Terminal B – Bank of America ATMs are located landside in Baggage Claim, between Concourses B and C, and in the Food Courts near Concourse D and between Concourse B and C. Airside, they can be found in all concourses.
- Terminal C – Multiple locations, airside only.
- Terminal D – No machines available.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex is located in Terminal A, Arrivals (Airside).
- Pet Relief Area – Take your pet for a potty break in these areas:
- Terminal A – Near the Marine Air Terminal entrance. Outdoors only.
- Terminal B – Near Concourse D and Hangar 1. Outdoors only.
- Terminal C – Departures level (east end – outdoors) and indoors, next to the security checkpoint before the connector to Terminal D.
- Terminal D – Departures level (west end – outdoors) and indoors, next to the security checkpoint before the connector to Terminal C.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is offered only in Terminal B, but a limited variety of retail shops is scattered throughout the airport.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Spa & Salon Services – If you want to relax and pamper yourself before your flight, the airport offers a variety of spa services:
- XpresSpa – The perfect spot to unwind with a massage. Location: Terminal B, Airside, near Gate C6.
- XpresSpa/WT Warren Tricomi Blowout – Offers a variety of services, from manicures to massages and even hair styling. Location: Terminal C, near Gate C28.
- Spa Here – Stop by here for last minute nail care or a relaxing massage. Location: Terminal B, Gates B40 – B59.
- Showers – Not available.
- Smoking – Smoking is permitted only in designated areas outside the airport.
[ update ]
According to an email we received from a reader in October 2018, all terminals are closed at night. Terminal B is closed from 12:00AM – 4:00AM.
[ update ]
As of March 2019, New York City La Guardia airport is served by the following airlines: Air Canada • American Airlines/Shuttle • Delta/Shuttle • Frontier Airlines • JetBlue • Southwest Airlines • Spirit • United Airlines • WestJet.
[ update ]
Go Airlink provides an ride-share airport shuttle between the airport and New York City. Service is available 24-hours per day. Head to the ground transportation desk and present the desk agent with your shuttle voucher. The agent will direct you to your scheduled shuttle. Your shuttle driver will know when your flight is scheduled to arrive. For more information, visit the Go Airlink web site. NYC Airporter provides express bus service between LaGuardia Airport – Grand Central Station – Penn Station – Port Authority Bus Terminal. Free WiFi is available on-board. If you are arriving at JFK and haven’t purchased your tickets online, you can purchase tickets at their desk in the Ground Transportation Welcome Center or from a sales agent outside the baggage claim. The bus departs from all terminals. A complimentary van transfer is provided to travellers staying at mid-town hotels between 23rd and 63rd Streets. For more information, visit the NYC Airporter web site. Additionally, there are a number of shared van service that will get you directly to your destination. Go to the Port Authority Welcome Center, located on the Arrivals level of each terminal, to make arrangements.
Amtrak is located at Penn Station. Total travel time via public transportation is approximately 40 minutes. The NYC Airport Shuttle service provides connections, and of course, you can hire a taxi.
These New York City bus lines serve LaGuardia Airport: M60 – connects the airport with Upper Manhattan; the N, Q, 4, 5, 6 subway lines; and the Metro-North Railroad Q70 Limited/ Q47 – connects the airport with western Queens and Midtown Manhattan; and the E, F, M, R and 7 subway lines. Three central Queens bus lines are also available – Q72 (Corona and Rego Park); Q47 (Glendale, Jackson Heights) and Q48 (Flushing). For schedules, fares and route information, visit the MTA web site.
Rental cars are available at LaGuardia through a number of car rental companies. Rental agencies provide frequent free shuttle bus service between LaGuardia’s terminals and their pickup/drop-off locations. Car rental companies at LaGuardia Airport include: Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Payless • Thifty.
Some area hotels provide courtesy airport shuttle service for their guests. Hotel shuttles pick-up outside each terminal. Ask your hotel about shuttle service details and availability.
Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Airway Inn at LaGuardia • Best Western Plus LaGuardia Airport Hotel Queens • Comfort Inn At LaGuardia Airport • Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport • Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport / Astoria • Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport/Flushing • Hampton Inn New York LaGuardia Airport • Holiday Inn LaGuardia Airport • Hotel de Point • LaGuardia Plaza Hotel – New York • New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott • Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel • SpringHill Suites by Marriott New York LaGuardia Airport.
The New York City metropolitan area is served by three major airports: JFK International Airport, LaGuardia Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport. The NYC Airporter provides service between JFK and LaGuardia or JFK and Newark Airport (via Port Authority Bus Terminal transfer to a partner service). All County Express and ETS Air Shuttles also provide service between JFK and LaGuardia or Newark Liberty Airport.
LaGuardia’s free daily shuttle service transports passengers throughout the airport premises. Route A shuttles travel between all terminals in 30 minute intervals (15 minute intervals during peak times) from 4:00AM – 12:30AM. Route B shuttles travel between Terminals B, C, D and the airport parking lots in 15 minute intervals (7 minute intervals during peak times) from 5:00AM – 2:00AM.
Shared Ride and Private Car Service
Shared ride vans and private cars and limousines can be booked on arrival at the Port Authority Welcome Center, located on the Arrivals Level of each terminal. Self-service kiosks are available nearby for use when the Welcome Centers are closed. Do not accept rides or assistance with luggage from anyone who approaches you in the terminal. Only seek the assistance of a uniformed staff member if needed.
There is no subway or train service to LaGuardia Airport.
Taxis are available in front of all terminals. Ignore offers of transportation from solicitors in the terminal as this is illegal and they may be unlicensed and uninsured. To obtain ground transportation information, visit the Port Authority Welcome Center in the arrivals area of each terminal, where uniformed staff will assist you. Alternately, head directly for the taxi stand located outside each terminal for safe and legitimate transportation. Due to the ongoing construction/expansion work at the airport (Sept 2019), taxis are not available at the terminals, instead you will be shuttled to taxi stands. Factor this into your airport arrival/departure time.
[ update ]
Last updated: 2019-12-07
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.