Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Toronto Pearson Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
there were lots of other people sleeping there. The airport staff were friendly. They even provided foamy mats for people to sleep on! -a traveller
YYZ Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Toronto Pearson Airport.
What to Expect
Toronto Pearson Airport (code: YYZ) consists of two terminals: Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. The automated LINK Train runs landside between both terminals and a nearby parking lot, departing every 5 minutes or so, 24 hours a day. Both terminals are big (and can be confusing), so you’ll walk a lot to reach your gate and other amenities. If you’re in T1, save time by riding the Express Walkway, the world’s fastest moving walkway.
This international airport can have long, slow security lines, so arrive early for peace of mind. Once airside, you’ll find numerous local and well-known eateries, shops and free WiFi. A few food concessions are open 24 hours, both landside and airside, in both terminals. Economy class travellers looking for some additional comfort can pay to enter several airport lounges, a few with showers. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Toronto Pearson Airport
Pearson Airport sees sleepers at all hours due to its hub status and, unfortunately, winter weather delays. There’s a decent amount of seating throughout, including armrest-free seats and benches. Most airside seating have armrests. Travellers particularly like the designated rest zone in Terminal 1 (Landside), as well as the free sleep pods and Muskoka chairs scattered throughout the airport. Common complaints are cold temps and noise, so bring an extra layer and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones. Explore our guide to sleeping in Toronto Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, check out the hotel connected to Terminal 3 or the many nearby hotels with free shuttle service. See Airport Hotels in the guide below for more info.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. If you have some time to spare please write a review, send a tip or share photos to help future travellers.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Toronto Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Nearest Hotel: At the Airport
- Sleep Cabins or Pods: No
- Day Rooms: Yes
- Nearby Hotels with Free Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair isn’t really doing it for you, there is good news for those of you who are looking to sleep at Pearson Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover, you will have to go through security as there are no transit hotels. A hotel is connected to the airport and most nearby hotels provide free airport shuttles.
At Airport Sheraton Gateway Hotel – Connected to Terminal 3 via climate-controlled walkway. The hotel has a 24 hour fitness center with gym, pool, whirlpool, sauna and change room. Purchase a day pass at the front desk for $ 25. » Check Rates
Near Airport ALT Hotel Toronto Pearson – (4 minutes from the airport) Located at Viscount station, at the end of the LINK train line. » Check Rates
Near Airport Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Located adjacent to Terminal 3. You could walk there from Terminal 3 if you just missed the shuttle and didn’t want to wait for the next one. Free airport shuttle service departs every 30 minutes on the hour and half-hour. Airport shuttle picks up from Terminal 1 (S5 on Level G, lowest exit of the terminal) and Terminal 3 (C22 on Arrivals Level 1, lowest exit of the terminal). » Check Rates
Near Airport Comfort Inn Toronto Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Located adjacent to the airport. Free airport shuttle 24 hours a day. » Check Rates
Near Airport Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Toronto Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) A free shuttle bus is available (24 hours every 30 minutes). » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Pearson Airport on TripAdvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, multiple locations (Domestic, International & Transborder departures). Lounge Access: Maple Leaf Club Membership • Air Canada ticket holders can purchase a pass at the time of booking or online check-in.
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, International) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Departures, Level 3, Gate E77. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, USA Departures) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, US Transborder Departures, Level 2. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 1, Domestic) – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Air France KLM Lounge – Terminal 3, Airside, Concourse C, next to Gate 33. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
American Airlines Admirals Club – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, near the duty free stores. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (AA ticket is required) • Admiral’s Club Membership.
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, Domestic) – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Domestic Departures, Level 2, between Gates B22 and B24. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, International) – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, International Departures, Gate C32. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Plaza Premium Lounge (Terminal 3, USA Departures) – Location: Terminal 3, Airside, USA Departures, near Gate A10. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Toronto Airport Lounges
Free WiFi is available at Toronto Airport. Connect to the “Toronto Pearson Wi-Fi” network.
Additionally, if you prefer, the airport has many seating areas equipped with iPads which passengers can use to surf the internet while waiting to board.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Gate D24.
- Family Washrooms – Designated Family Washrooms can be found in: Terminal 1, Landside on Level 1 and Level 3 • Terminal 3, Landside in the Arrivals section and the Departures section.
- Nursing – Nursing stations in the following locations: Terminal 1, Airside at Gates D35, F67 and E80/F80 • Terminal 3, Airside at Gate B39.
- Fitness – Goodlife Fitness has a 10,000 sq.ft gym that contains state-of-the-art training equipment, stretching area, and free weights. The facility offers change rooms with showers, soap, conditioner, lotion, hair dryers. Location: Terminal 1 on Level 1, Arrivals, Area F. Rate: $25.00. They also have a Reebok clothing and shoe bundle to rent for $20. Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1 (International Departures): Booster Juice (Level 2, landside, parking and link train) ▪ Tim Hortons (Level 2, airside, Gate E81).
- Terminal 1 (Canada Departures): Swiss Chalet (Level 3, landside, take out is 24 hours) ▪ Tim Hortons (Level 1, Airside, near D42)
- Terminal 3 (Canada Departures): Subway (Arrivals Level, landside, near Domestic Arrivals) ▪ Tim Hortons (Departures Level, airside, Gate B26/27.
- Terminal 3 (International Departures): Subway (Airside, near Gate B22) ▪ Tim Hortons (Landside, Arrivals) ▪ Wendy’s (Landside, Arrivals)
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit one of the information desks for assistance. Locations: available on the Arrivals Level. Hours: unknown.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available free of charge throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Whether you wish to store your coat before traveling to a warm destination, or simply want to enjoy your layover unburdened by luggage, you can store your things at Samsonite. Storage prices per day, per piece range from $7.50 – $12.50 for luggage and personal items, and $3 per day ($15 per week) for coats. Locations: Terminal 1, landside, Level 3, Check-in area (Hours: 5:00AM – 1:00AM) ▪ Terminal 3, landside, Arrivals, under the escalator between exit B &C (Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM).
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags from theft and damage by having your bags wrapped in plastic (scales are also available). Locations: T1, International, landside, Departures Level, 2 locations at Aisles 7 and 9 ▪ T3, International, landside, Check-In Area. Hours: 7:00AM – 11:00PM (all locations).
- Medical Services – Not feeling well? The Apple Tree Medical Centre accepts walk-ins. Location: Terminal 1 Canada, Landside, Level 2 Parking and Link Train. Hours: Reception is staffed from 9:00AM – 9:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 9:00AM – 6:00PM (Sat), outside these hours you may use the online booking system. Doctors are only on site from 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon – Thurs only).
- Pharmacy – DrugSmart Pharmacy is located next to the Apple Tree Medical Centre. Location: Terminal 1 Canada, Landside, Level 2 Parking and Link Train. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – Multiple charging points are available at the boarding gates. Some seats have power points nearby.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – ICE has kiosks available in both Terminals. While none operate 24 hours, you will find many open at 4:00AM. Locations:
- Terminal 1: Landside, Level 1, Arrivals, 2 locations ▪ Landside, Arrivals, Level 3, 2 locations ▪ Airside, International, Level 2 Gates, 2 locations ▪
- Terminal 3: Landside, Arrivals, 2 locations ▪ Landside, Departures Level ▪ Airside, USA, Departures Level ▪ Airside, International, Departures Level, 3 locations ▪ Airside, USA, Level 2 Gates, 2 locations ▪ Airside, USA, Level 3, Departures ▪ Airside, Canada, Level 2 Gates.
- Pet Relief Areas – Travelling with a 4 legged companion? Pet relief areas are available in the following locations: Terminal 1, Landside, Departures, Exit Door 15 • Terminal 1, Landside, Ground Floor, Exit Door S • Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate D30 • Terminal 3, Landside, Arrivals Level, Exit Door A • Terminal 3, Airside, near Gate B26.
- Therapy Dogs – If you need to relax before your flight, look out for the airport’s therapy dogs, identifiable by a bandana that says “St. John Ambulance Therapy Dogs”!
- Prayer Rooms – The Aviation Interfaith Ministry centres offer a quiet place to pray, meditate and reflect. Chaplains, Roman Catholic mass and Interdenominational Christian services are available. Locations: Terminal 1, Landside, Level 1, Arrivals • Terminal 3, Landside, Level 1, Arrivals.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones –
- CIBC Welcome Centre – In Terminal 1 on the Arrivals Level, there are 6 or 7 large padded seats to sink into. Unfortunately, the seats are located across from the International Arrivals door, so it is not particularly quiet. You would be best to have noise cancelling headphones if you nap here during the daytime.
- Lounge 15 – Formerly known as Lounge Q. In August 2015, when we heard rumblings in a recent traveller review that this seating area no longer exists and the airport rudely ignored our requests, we headed out to YYZ to find the answer ourselves. Well, the lounge is still there, but the seating has been drastically reduced. There were still a lot of empty seats though and a few airport sleepers were spotted enjoying the armrest free seating. There is also a play area for children. Location: Terminal 1, Departures Level, Landside, Aisle 15.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside in the gated areas of Terminals 1 and 3. There is a good variety of shops available throughout the airport to pass the time. 7-11 is open 24 hours in these locations: Terminal 1, Level 1, Arrivals ▪ Terminal 1, landside, (International), B6 of the Value Park Garage, Level 4.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Manicure – Break a nail going through security and need to have your nails done? Head to 10 Minute Manicure. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, Canada, Level 2 Gates, near Gate D37 (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:00PM) ▪ Terminal 1, Airside, USA, Level 2 Gates, near Gate F57 (Hours: 6:30AM – 7:00PM).
- Showers – Showers can found in three areas: Airside in the three Plaza Premium Lounges ( see Airport Lounges above ) • Goodlife ( Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Level 1, Arrivals, Area F, day pass is $17.00 which includes use of shower facilities) • Sheraton Gateway ( Location: Terminal 3, Landside – see Airport Hotels above ) • Wellbeing Spa (Location: Terminal 3. Airside, near Gate A10).
- Spa – Relax before your flight at one of the following airport spa locations:
- Be Relax Spa – offers chair massages, table massages, nail services, waxing and facials. Locations: Terminal 3, Airside, Canada/International, near Gate B5 (Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM) ▪ Terminal 3, Airside, Canada/International, near Gate B27 (Hours: 12:00PM – 9:00PM) • Terminal 3, Airside, Canada/International, near Gate C36 (Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM)
- Wellbeing Spa – offers massages, facials, nail services and showers. Locations: Terminal 3, Airside, USA Departures, near Gate A10. Hours: 5:30AM – 8:30PM.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Terminal 1 currently offers large sculptures (airside), a changing art display (landside) and a dinosaur display (landside). Terminal 3 has a film exhibition created by the Toronto International Film Festival.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Toronto Pearson airport is served by the following airlines:
- Terminal 1: Air Canada • Air India • Avianca • Brussels Airlines • Copa • Egyptair • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • EVA Air • LOT • Lufthansa • TAP Portugal • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines.
- Terminal 2: Aer Lingus • Aeromexico • Air France • Air Italy • Air Transat • Alitalia • American Airlines • Azores Airlines • British Airways • Caribbean Airlines • Cathay Pacific • China Eastern • China Southern • Condor • Delta • El Al Israel Airlines • Etihad Airways • Flair Airlines • Hainan Airlines • Icelandair • Interjet • KLM • Korean Air • PIA • Phillipine Airlines • Sunwing • Ukraine International • WestJet.
Pearson airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you are looking for a bus to your downtown hotel, need a connection to the Go Train or need to reach a subway station, there is probably a bus for you. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Toronto Pearson Airport website.
The following car rental agencies operate on-site on Level 1 of the parking garages located next to Terminals 1 and 3: Avis • Budget • Dollar/Thrifty • Enterprise • Hertz and National/Alamo. Several off-site rental agencies provide courtesy transportation from Viscount Station. Contact your rental agency of choice for details.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Shuttles pick-up from Terminal 1 (Ground Level, column “S5”) and Terminal 3 (Arrivals Level, column “C22”). Many hotels require that you call ahead for pick-up. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Toronto Airport Hotel • Comfort Inn Toronto Airport • Courtyard Toronto Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Toronto Airport • Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Toronto Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Airport • Hilton Toronto Airport & Suites • Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport • Hotel Carlingview Toronto Airport • Toronto Airport Marriott Hotel • The Westin Toronto Airport.
See Airport Hotels above.
There is a free and fully wheelchair accessible 24-hour Link Train connects Terminal 1 and 3. Trains depart every 4-8 minutes depending on the time of day. There are 3 stops: Terminal 1 • Terminal 3/Sheraton Gateway Hotel • Viscount Station, Value Park Garage, Value Park Lot and ALT Hotel.
Long Distance Bus and Shuttle Service
Several companies provide service between Toronto Pearson Airport and locations throughout Ontario and across the border in the United States. Information on these services is available at Information Counters located in Terminal 1 (Ground Level) and Terminal 3 (Arrivals Level).
Taxi and Limousine
Licensed taxis and limousines can be found at Terminal 1 (Doors C & D), Terminal 3 Domestic Arrivals (Door B) and Terminal 3 International Arrivals (Door F). Fares are based on a zone map, dividing the area between GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and Out-of-Town tariffs, and charged according to time and distance. For locations outside of the Out-of-Town tariffs area, fares are charged per kilometer. Cash and credit cards are accepted. For safety reasons, do not accept rides from people who approach you in the terminal or ask you to follow them to the parking garage.
The Union Pearson Express, or UP Express, is an express train that runs between YYZ airport and downtown in just 25 minutes. Trains depart every 15 minutes from 5:30AM – 1:00AM, stopping at two other stations along the ride between Pearson Airport Station and Union Station in downtown Toronto. For tickets or more information, visit the UP Express website.
Last updated: 2020-10-21
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.