Dublin Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Dublin Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the density of sleepers around me made me feel relatively safe from thieves.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Dublin Airport.
What to Expect
- This small airport is open 24-hours. Terminal 1 is older, housing mostly short-haul flights. Terminal 2 opened in 2010 for longer-haul flights. The two terminals are connected and walkable.
- Staff and security are tolerant of sleepers!
- The only 24-hour eateries are Landside in T1; everything closes at night Airside.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Your best bet is to stay Landside overnight for more comfortable sleeping options. Most of the seating Airside have armrests.
- Best sleeping spot is the McDonald’s in T1’s mezzanine. It fills up quickly, so get there by 9:00PM to buy something and crash on their couches.
- Use the landside food courts to move chairs around for sleeping - no one seems to mind. Oaks eatery has arm chairs and is completely quiet from 10:00PM until 4:00AM.
- There is a semi-secluded sleep spot with comfy couches in a room called the PRM room, often used by airport staff. The room is located in T2, near the elevators at Gates 407 and 408.
- Gets cold at night, so come prepared with warm clothes and a blanket.
- Some travellers report getting checked by local police for passports and tickets, just to keep up with safety.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- If you’re flying to America from Dublin, you’ll process through U.S. passport control in T2 so you won’t have to do it upon your arrival in the States.
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass to two airport lounges - one has showers. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Dublin Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Dublin airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Dublin Airport Executive Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, adjacent to the security area and The Loop. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€19.95) • Book Online (£22.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Dublin Airport Executive Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, adjacent to the 400 gates. Showers are available. 5:00AM - 8:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€19.95) • Book Online (£22.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Dublin Airport. Connect to the 'Dublin Airport Free WiFi' or 'eircom' networks. No registration required! Surfbox internet kiosks are also available throughout the airport, at a rate of 11.5c per minute. Some have printing facilities. You can find them in these locations:
- T1: Arrivals Hall • Departures Hall* • Mezzanine* • Gates 101-121 • Gates 201-220 • Gates 301-313
- T2: Check-In Floor*- 3 kiosks available • Arrivals Floor* • International Departures Lounge (airside)* • Gates 400-425 • After US Pre-Clearance
* Locations marked with a * have printing facilities
If sleeping in Dublin Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport - (3 minute walk from both airport terminals) Free 24-hour airport shuttle. From T1, the pick-up is in Zone 8. From T2, go to the right hand side of the arrivals exit door.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Dublin Airport - (5 minute walk from both airport terminals) A free airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes between 5:00AM and 12:00AM. Outside these hours call the hotel at (01) 844 6000 for pickup. In T1, the shuttle pick-up point is in coach park Zone 8. In T2, the shuttle pick-up point can be found at the first exit on the right hand side (look for the US Airlines check-in desks).
- Carlton Hotel - (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs between the hotel and airport from 6:00AM - 12:30AM (leaves on the hour and half-hour). If you arrive between 1:00AM and 4:00AM you can call the hotel at 353 1866 7500 for pick-up. The shuttle runs from the airport to the hotel bteween the hours 6:15AM to 12:45AM (leaves quarter-past and quarter-to the hour). Pick-up from both terminals can be found in Zone 16.
- Premier Inn - (4 minutes from the airport) The hotel shuttle is available from Zone 14 in the centre concourse. The shuttle runs every 30 mins between 4:30AM and 11:00PM from the airport to hotel and from the hotel to airport between 4:15AM and 10:45PM. Hotel shuttle costs 2,00€ per person, each way.
- Holiday Inn Express Dublin Airport - (7 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle bus runs every 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day and runs from the airport to hotel between 4:15AM to 11:15AM and from the airport to the hotel from 4:00AM to 11:30PM. The shuttle bus picks up from the coach park Zone 16. Note this is a shared bus with the Crowne Plaza Hotel and is first-come, first-served.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Dublin Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located throughout the landside and airside areas of Terminals 1 and 2.
- Baby Care Facilities - Diaper changing facilities are located throughout Terminals 1 and 2. Diapers and other baby products are available for sale in Boots (T1, The Loop shopping area) and Pure Pharmacy (T2, Airside).
- Baggage Trolleys - Available free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Area – Area includes a gym play area with colourfully designed seating and tables. Location: Mezzanine, Terminal 1 beside McDonald’s.
- Currency Exchange - International Currency Exchange (ICE) has money changing outlets throughout the airport in these locations:
- T1: Arrivals Hall (Hours: 5:30AM - 12:00AM) • Baggage Hall (Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM) • Departures Hall (Hours: 5:30AM - 10:00PM) • Airside (Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM) • Airside, Gates 102-113 (Hours: 5:00AM - 8:00PM)
- T2: Baggage Hall (Hours: 4:30AM - 10:30PM) • Check-In Hall (Hours: 4:30AM - 7:00PM) • Airside (Hours: 4:00AM - 8:15PM)
- Duty Free & Shopping - The Loop Duty Free is located Airside in both Terminals. Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM. There is a good variety of others shops to pass the time.
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: 5,99€ to 7,99€ depending on time of flight. Book on-line.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules with many opening at 4:00AM.. T1 landside has some 24 hour options: AMT Coffee (Arrivals) • McDonald’s (Mezzanine Food Court) • Wrights of Howth (Carpark Atrium).
- Information Desk - An Information Desk is located in Terminal 1, Arrivals. You may also see customer care agents posted at various points throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Enjoy a hands-free layover by storing your luggage at the left luggage facility. Short and long-term storage is available at the following rates: €5.00 for an envelope (must be prepaid), €5.00 per small item (umbrella, shopping bag, etc.), €8.00 per medium item (carry-on bag or suitcase) and €12.00 per large item (suitcase, heavy/oversized items, golf clubs, etc.). All rates are per 24-hour period. Location: T1, Short-Term Car Park Atrium, adjacent to T2 Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Medical Services - First aid services are available. Contact an airport police officer or airport staff if you require assistance.
- Pharmacy - Get your prescriptions filled or pick up some cream for that itch at Pure Pharmacy. Location: T2, airside, Departures Level Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM Some over-the-counter medicines are also available for sale in Boots (T1, The Loop shopping area).
- Prayer Room - Daily mass is held on airport grounds at Our Lady Queen of Heaven Church. Mass is held daily at 1:00PM (11:00AM on Sundays) and Confession is heard immediately after. Location: The church is located on its own grounds, just a 1-minute walk from the Arrivals Hall, via the Short-Term Car Park Atrium. The Multi-Faith Prayer Room offers a peaceful place for prayer and meditation, open to passengers of any religion 24 hours a day. Chairs and prayer mats are available. Location: T2, Departures Level, before the boarding area.
- Rest Zones - In Terminal 1, once you pass through security, pass through the duty free shopping, then past a restaurant on your left. You'll come to a Starbucks with an escalator up to more restaurants. On the right is a rest zone with soft chairs and pods for sleeping.
- Showers - Showers are available in one of the lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Supermarket - If you’re heading home to Dublin and need to pick up some groceries on the way, Spar has fresh food, household goods, and coffee and food to go. Location: T1, landside, The Loop shopping area (Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM) • T2, landside, Arrivals (Hours: Open 24 hours Mon-Fri and 5:00AM - 11:00PM on Sat and Sun).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Terminal Quick Tips
- the Starbucks receives good reviews for a snooze
Buses and Coaches
Several companies operate daily bus and coach service to and from Dublin Airport. These buses and coaches travel to railway stations and destinations within Dublin City and its surrounding areas, as well as destinations within the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. For details on the bus companies and their pick-up zones, visit the Dublin Airport web site.
Thrifty, Enterprise, and Sixt car rental agencies have reception desks in Terminal 1 Arrivals Hall. Hertz, Budget, Avis, Europcar, and Dooley Car Rentals have rental desks in both Terminal 1 Arrivals Halls and Terminal 2 Multi-story Car Park.
Taxis are a safe and reliable way to travel to and from Dublin Airport and destinations within 30km of the airport. Passengers traveling by licensed taxi are entitled, by law, to a ride in a clean vehicle, a fare calculated by the taxi’s meter, and a receipt for the journey. Taxi ranks are located in the forecourt directly outside of either Terminals 1 or 2. A taxi dispatcher is available at either location for assistance. Passengers arriving by taxi into Dublin Airport will be dropped off at the forecourt in front of their terminal of choice.
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.