Lisbon Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Lisbon Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Frequently rousted by security, but generally allowed to stay put.
photo credit: Piccola Pic
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Lisbon Portela Airport.
What to Expect
- Lisbon airport has two terminals. Terminal 1 handles international flights, whereas Terminal 2 is for domestic flights. A free shuttle bus transports passengers between the two.
- Terminal 1 is reportedly much newer and nicer than Terminal 2, with better food and shopping choices.
- There WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers unanimously recommended Terminal 1 over Terminal 2 for sleeping options. In particular, try the rest zone around Gates 19 and 20, airside.
- There are couches in the Terminal 1 food court and near some of the gates. Landside, there are quiet areas on the upper level.
- Some reviewers warned of cold AC, so considering bringing a blanket and warm clothes.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- Showers can be found in the ABC Business Center lounge.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Lisbon Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Lisbon airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Blue Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, near Gates 7-13. Hours: 6:00PM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£23.00) • Priority Pass
- ABC Business Center - Location: Terminal 1, Landside, near check-in desks 14-36. Showers are available. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Mon - Fri) • Closed (Sat - Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.00).
- ANA Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 6th Floor, Praça Lisboa. Showers are available ($). Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.00) • Book Online (£20.00) • Priority Pass
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Lisbon Airport. Connect to the "VINCI Airports wifi" network.
Additionally, there are several internet kiosks available Landside and Airside.
If sleeping in Lisbon Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- TRYP Lisboa Aeroporto Hotel - (5 min walk from the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport, located next to Terminal 1.
- Pensao Residencial Terminus - (12 min walk from the airport) This hotel is located within walking distance of the airport, but you may have to cross busy roads, making a taxi more ideal for transportation to this hotel.
- Holiday Inn Express Lisbon Airport - (5 min from airport) Airport shuttle is 5 Euro per person each way.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Lisbon - (4 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every hour between 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Lisbon Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Baby Care Facilities - Sinks, changing tables, and worktops are available in baby changing rooms located landside and airside throughout T1 and T2. There are fourteen changing rooms in T1 and two available in T2. Two additional baby changing rooms offer a private area for breastfeeding. Those two rooms are located near Gates 41 and 44 in the International area (non-Schengen). In addition to the baby changing rooms, changing tables are available airside and landside in women’s restrooms in T1 and T2. Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, for babies up to 3 years old or 15kg. You can pick up an airport stroller, marked with the ANA logo, after security and leave it at the gate when you board your flight.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are cash machines located Landside and Airside.
- Banking - Full-service banking is available at Santander. Location: T1, landside Hours: 8:30AM - 3:00PM (Mon-Fri).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - A fun and colorful play area for children ages 2 to 7 is available.
- Currency Exchange - Nova Câmbios and Unicâmbio offer currency exchange, money transfers and VAT refunds. Unicâmbio even offers a free battery charging service! Nova Câmbios locations: T1, landside (Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM) • T1, airside, non-Schengen (Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM) • T2, landside (Hours: 5:00AM - 7:00PM). Unicâmbio locations: T1, landside (Hours: 6:00AM - 7:00PM) • T1, airside - three locations (Hours: 5:00AM - 12:00PM or 6:00AM - 7:00PM).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free Store has three airside locations in T1 (one of them is non-Schengen), and one airside location in T2. All locations are open from 4:30AM - 12:00AM. A wide variety of retail shops, selling everything from chocolates and wine to clothing and books, is also available.
- Family Services - Traveling with kids? Check out the Family Room, a quiet and comfortable oasis for families, away from the crowds. The family room has comfortable couches, a kitchenette with microwave, a baby bottle warmer, vending machines and entertainment for the kiddos. Location: landside. To make things even easier for little travelers, airport restrooms located landside and airside are retrofitted with children’s toilet seats.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- T1, Landside: Grab & Fly • Spoon Café.
- T1, Airside: 1st Cafe (two locations)
- There are no 24-hour dining options in T2.
- Information Desk - Location: Arrivals Hall, Landside • Departures Hall, Airside, next to Gate 15A. Hours: 7:00AM - 12:00AM.
- Living Spots - The Living Spot is a comfortable place to work, relax, get flight or airport information, or charge your mobile devices. Locations: Terminal 1 Landside (Departures) and Airside near the foodcourt and Gate 17.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Baggage Deposit rates are per item, per day, as follows: €3.25 for up to 10kg, €4.82 for 10 - 30kg, and €9.55 for more than 30kg. Location: next to Car Park P2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping - SafeBag luggage wrapping service. Location: T1, landside, Check-In. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM. • T2, landside, Check-In. Hours: 5:30AM - 1:30PM and 3:00PM - 7:00PM.
- Medical Services - Available at the First Aid Stations in both Terminals. Hours are not known.
- Pharmacy - Pharmacy - Farmacia Aeroport. Location: airside. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Post Office - CTT offers postal services, stamps, telephone cards and more. Location: T1, landside. Hours: 9:00AM - 8:00PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM - 6:00PM (Sat) 9:00AM - 1:00PM AND 2:00PM - 5:00PM (Sun, holidays).
- Rest Zones - The airport offers two rest zones called "Living Spot". This is a free area where you can lay down on recumbent chair, charge your mobile phone or use one of the interactive features. Locations are:
- Terminal 1, Departures, Public Area/Landside
- Terminal 1, Departures Restricted Area/Airside, near gates 19 and 20.
- Showers - Showers are available in the ABC Business Center located in Terminal 1, Landside.
- Smoking - There is a designated smoking area available. Location: Airside, near Gates 17-21 • Airside, non-schengen area, near the gates 46 and 47 • Baggage Claim, near belt 4.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Aerobus service is operated by the Yellow Bus Tours company. This service provides regular transportation between the airport, bus terminal, rail terminals, major hotels, and several main points of the city. Two different Aerobus lines are available: Line 1 to City Center and Line 2 to Financial Center. Aerobus operates daily from 7:00AM - 11:00PM. Tickets can be purchased on board the Aerobus at 3,50€ for an adult single line 24-hour ticket (valid for 24 hours after validation) or 5,50€ for an adult two-line 24-hour ticket. Discounted tickets are available if purchased on Yellow Bus Tour’s website. Child fares and group fares (4 or more adults) are also available.
Five public bus lines operate in and out of the airport. A Carris/Metro single ticket is 1,40€ (1,80€ if purchased on the bus) and a 1-day ticket (valid for 24 hours after validation) is 6€. Viva Viagem cardholders’ fare is 0.50€. There is a baggage size limit for these buses: 50x40x20cm. If your luggage is over the size limit, you will need to take the Aerobus. For additional information on schedules, fares, and service areas, go to the Carris/Transportes de Lisboa website.
Avis, Europcar, Goldcar, Guerin/Enterprise, Hertz and Sixt rental car agencies operate reception desks at the airport.
Group Airport Shuttles
100 Rumos operates a shared-ride airport shuttle service between the airport, Lisbon, and Porto. This door-to-door service is ideal for those who want a relaxing and comfortable way to travel to or from the airport. Fares start at 6€ per person, per ride. For further information or to reserve a seat, go to the 100 Rumos website.
Lisbon Airport can be reached by underground train from the city. Passengers can reach the airport from Saldanha (Lisbon’s city center district) in 16 to 21 minutes on the metro’s red line. The train makes a few stops along the way for passengers boarding from train stations along the same route. A Carris/Metro single ticket is 1,40€ and a 1-day ticket (valid for 24 hours after validation) is 6€. Viva Viagem cardholders’ fare is 0.50€. The Airport Metro Station is open from 6:30AM to 1:00AM.
Lisbon Oriente Station (Gare do Oriente) is a modern and architecturally stunning train station. Designed to look like a row of trees, Oriente Station is the world’s largest train station, serving over 75 million passengers each year. Trains from this station travel to cities within Portugal and major cities in neighboring countries. To reach Oriente Station from the airport, take the metro’s red line to the Oriente Station stop or take buses N.208, N.705, or N.744.
Last Updated: 13 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.