Malaga Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Malaga Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
at 2am the security woke me up anyway to check my air ticket and guide me to the general landside hall, where two homeless people were already sleeping.The security lady wasn't rude to me, but she gestured her colleagues she thinks I'm a bit crazy. - tinkole
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Málaga–Costa del Sol Airport.
What to Expect
- A modern and busy international airport with two passengers terminal currently in operation (Terminals 2 and 3). A wide variety of shops, restaurants and services are available, including some 24 hour dining options!
- Free WiFi is available. See Airport WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- The best place to sleep is in Terminal 3 departures. Behind the Burger King, you will find a large windowsill which overlooks the runway. This little sleep spot is popular with overnight sleepers, so if the spot has already been claimed, check out the area around the ground floor bathrooms. Benches and power outlets are available.
- Terminal 2 is noisier and has no comfortable chairs or benches for sleeping on, but if you have a sleeping bag or travel mat and blanket handy, you can sleep comfortably in a secluded spot under one of the escalators.
- Regardless of where you choose to sleep, have a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out those bright airport lights and loud noises!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Málaga Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Malaga airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Sala VIP T3 - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Upper Level. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€19.11) • Book Online (£27.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free unlimited WiFi is available at Malaga Airport. Connect to the "kubiwireless" network. (SSID: Airport_Free_Wifi_AENA). Additionally, there are 12 internet kiosks throughout the terminal.
If sleeping in Malaga Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Holiday Inn Express Malaga Airport - (5 min from the airport terminal) This is the closest hotel to the airport. Bus A, a public bus that departs from the airport, stops 100 meters in front of the hotel. Present your bus ticket at the hotel’s front desk for reimbursement.
- Campanile Malaga Airport - (2 min from the airport) Bus A, a public bus that departs from the airport, stops next to the hotel.
- Malaga Picasso - (3 min from the airport) This hotel is easily accessible by taxi and public buses.
- TRYP Malaga Guadalmar Hotel - (5 min from the airport) This hotel is easily accessible by taxi and public buses.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Malaga Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available landside and airside in Terminal 3. Banca March ATMs are located in the Arrivals Hall (Floor 0) and Check-In area (Floor 1). Euronet cash advance ATMs are located in Baggage Reclaim (Floor 0), Check-In area (Floor 1), and airside in the Boarding Area (Floor 1).
- Baby Care Facilities - Feed and care for your baby in privacy and comfort in the Nursing Room. Location: T2, airside, Boarding Area / Floor 1.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Location: Terminal 3, Landside, P0, Arrivals Hall. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:30PM.
- Children's Play Area - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Floor 1
- Currency Exchange - There are a total of 4 currency exchange offices. Locations: Terminal 2, Baggage Claim, Floor 0 • Terminal 3, Baggage Claim, Floor 0 • Terminal 3, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0 • Terminal 3, Departures Area, Floor 1.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available airside to passengers departing from Terminals 2 or 3. In addition, a wide range of merchandise is available for sale from shops throughout the airport.
- Family Services - If you are travelling with children, there is Children's Play Area (Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Departure Area) and a Nursing Room (Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Departure Area).
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Mum’s Kitchen (T3, airside, Departures / Floor 1) • Upper Crust (T3, airside, Departures / Floor 1) • Starbucks (T3, landside, Departures / Floor 1).
- Information Desk - Information desks are located throughout T3 in these locations: Check-In area, landside, Floor 1 (open 24 hours) • Arrivals Hall, Floor 0 • Baggage Reclaim Hall, airside, Floor 0 • Boarding Area, airside, Floor 1.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Not available
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the Medical Centre. Location: T3, Arrivals / Floor 0. Hours: unknown.
- Pharmacy - There are 2 pharmacies. Locations: Terminal 3, Landside, Departures Area, Floor 1 • Terminal 3, Airside, Departures Area, Floor 1.
- Showers - Not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
The following buses stop outside of Terminal T3 Arrivals:
A Express Airport Line 75 runs between the airport and city center in just 15 minutes. A one-way ticket is €3, sold on board the bus (cash only).
Avanzabús offers service between the airport and Algeciras in a 1 hour 55 min journey. A one-way bus ticket is €19,80. Buses depart at 7:00AM and 2:15PM for the airport, and head to Algeciras at 11:30AM and 6:50PM. Bus service to/from Estepona is available, with a total trip time of 1 hour 15 min. A one-way bus ticket is €13.20. Buses depart at 7:45AM and 3:00PM for the airport, and head to Estepona at 11:30AM and 6:50PM. Services are also available to Marbella (45 min journey; €9.20 one-way) with multiple departures available.
Alsa offers service to Motril, Seville and Granada.
Line M-135 bus stops at the cargo terminal instead of the T3 bus stop area. This intercity bus runs between the airport, Alhaurín de la Torre, Málaga and Santa Amalia from 7:00AM - 8:30PM or later. Single trip ticket costs €1.65.
The following car rental agencies can be found in both Terminal T2 (1st floor) and Terminal T3: Avis, Enterprise, Europcar, Goldcar, Hertz, Record Go and Sixt.
Metered taxis are readily available from the taxi rank located outside of Terminal T3 Arrivals area. Initial fares for “urban” trips are €1.49 with €0.86 per km charge from 6:00AM - 10:00PM, or €1.85 with €1.06 per km charge for trips taken after hours, or on weekends and holidays. Intercity fares are €0.58 per km charge from 6:00AM - 10:00PM, or €0.70 per km charge for trips taken after hours, or on weekends and holidays. There is a surcharge of €5.50 for trips starting or ending at the airport, and smaller surcharges for night trips, oversized baggage or trips to/from Levante Port.
Access to the airport’s train station is available from the Departures forecourt and the exterior of the Arrivals area. Renfe Suburban Train Line C1 connects the airport with Málaga city center in a 12 minute journey, stopping at Fuengirola, Benalmádena and Torremolinos in Costa del Sol. These fares were current at the time of this update: Airport - Torremolinos €1.70; Airport - Benalmádena €1.95 and Airport - Fuengirola €2.60.
Last Updated: 27 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.