Toronto Pearson International Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Toronto Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
there were lots of other people sleeping there. The airport staff were friendly. They even provided foamy mats for people to sleep on! -a traveller
Terminal 3 (landside). Photo credit: SleepingInAirports.net
"On my way to London from the US, stayed at the airport (Terminal 1) from around 11pm to 6:30am, in the lounge area that other reviewers have already written about. Had a good sleep, thanks to my sleeping bag, the seating without armrest (I'm 185cm 6'1' and I could stretch my legs, which was awesome!) and a t-shirt on my face to avoid lights. There was some background noise (music at low volume, with occasional announcements which were pretty loud), but other than that it was a pleasant experience. I found seating next to power sockets, which was cool. WiFi was free, which was even cooler. What sucked was the lack of food options in the Terminal (the few that were there were closed or were airside)."
Have you been to Toronto Pearson Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Charging station, Landside, Terminal 1.
Photo by sleepinginairports.net
Toronto Pearson airport has two terminals - Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Terminal 2 was knocked down and I guess they will rebuild in the future.
Terminal 1 is the newer terminal, so considerable effort has been made to make this building as pretty, but sometimes useless, as possible. It is large and airy with lots of wasted space. You'll enjoy privacy here! Many seats landside are armrest-free. There is a free rest lounge at the far end of the terminal at aisle Q. There is a door and I suspect they lock this at night, so don't count on this space to be your bed for the night, but it is a wonderful place to spend the day away from the crowds. You need not worry though, there is plenty of space in the terminal if you don't mind stretching out on the floor and come prepared with your travel blanket.
Terminal 3 is the older of the two terminals. It is smaller, but comfortable. Again, there are lots of armrest-free seating (see the photo above). Bring a blanket! I find this terminal to be colder than Terminal 1.
Free WiFi is available. What a difference Free WiFi makes at this airport. I intentionally showed up 5 hours before a recent flight and actually enjoyed this airport for the first time in my life. My one recommendation for this airport would be adding more landside recharging stations.
Staff are friendly and helpful in both terminals with the exception of the US Immigration officers who treat you like a security risk and potential illegal alien. Its one thing to explain your motives for visiting their country when you are actually in their country, but you may just want to cancel your trip after having to explain yourself on your own soil. Yes, if you are flying to the US, you will go through US Immigration in Toronto not in the US.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Toronto airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
There are 10 lounges at the Toronto airport that you can buy your way into:
- Plaza Premium Lounge
Offers food & beverages, alcoholic drinks, Internet / WiFi and more. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door ($ 40 - 2 hours • $ 50 -3 hours • $70 - 6 hours) • Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass.
- Domestic - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures. Showers are available. Hours: 5am - 1030pm
- Pearson Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Departures, Level 3, Gate E77. Hours: 4:30am - 1am (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sun) • 4:30am - 10pm (Wed, Fri, Sat)
- US Transborder - Location: Terminal 1, Airside on level 2. Hours: 5am - 830pm. Showers are available.
- Domestic - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Domestic Departures, Level 2, between Gates B22 and B24. Hours: 5am - 1030pm.
- International - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Gate C33. Hours: 430am - 1030pm. Showers are available.
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge
- Lounge Access: Book Online ($25/50) • Maple Leaf Club Membership.
- Domestic - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures. Hours: 515am - 12am
- Transborder - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Transborder Departures. Hours: 5am - 845pm
- International - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Departures. Hours: 615am - 1130pm (Mon - Fri) • 500am - 1130pm (Sat - Sun)
- American Admiral's Club - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Concourse B. Hours: 5am - 7pm (Mon - Fri) • 530am - 630pm (Sat) • 530am - 7pm (Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Air France / KLM Crown Lounge - Terminal 3, Airside, Concourse C, next to Gate 33. Hours: 1:00PM -12:00AM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at Toronto Airport. Connect to the "Toronto Pearson WIFI" network.
If sleeping in Toronto Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sheraton Gateway - connected to the Terminal 3. The hotel has a 24 hour fitness center with gym, pool, whirlpool, sauna and change room. Purchase a day pass at the front desk for $ 25.
- ALT Hotel Toronto Pearson - a new reasonably priced hotel adjacent to Terminals 1 and 3, at the end of the LINK Train line, near the Viscount long-term parking lot.
The closest hotel off airport grounds is the Four Points by Sheraton. You could probably even walk there from Terminal 3 if you just missed the shuttle and didn't want to wait for the next one (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours - departs every 30 minutes). Other hotels I saw with shuttles driving through were the Comfort Inn (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours) and Hilton Toronto Airport (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours - departs every 20 minutes), but there are many other hotels nearby.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Pearson Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art and Exhibits - Terminal 1 currently offers large scultures (airside), a changing art display (landside) and a dinosaur display (landside). Terminal 3 has a film exhibition created by the Toronto International Film Festival.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes. Available throughout both terminals (landside and airside).
- Baggage Carts - 5,000 new baggage carts are available at the airport. Rate: free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Thrifty. Locations: Terminals 1 and 3, Levels 1, adjacent parking garages. There are also off-airport car rentals. Take the LINK train to the Viscount Station where there will be shuttle buses and vans available.
- Children Play Areas - Your little rugrats will be entertained here with a few small play areas available airside.
Terminal 1 (Level 2) - You'll find them at gates 105, 124 139, 145
Terminal 3 (Level 2 ) - this play area seems to be an after thought. It is located at the far end of the terminal at C35. Any further away and it would be on the tarmac.
- Currency Exchange - ICE and Travelex have kiosks available on the Arrivals and Departures levels of Terminals 1 and 3 (landside).
- Food & Drinks -
There are many food options before and after security. If you are looking for 24-hour food and beverage concessions, here are your options:
- Terminal 1 (Landside): Tim Hortons • Subway • 7-Eleven (Level G, Ground Transportation) • 7-Eleven (Value Park Garage)
- Terminal 1 (Airside): A&W (Level 2 Gates)
- Terminal 3 (Landside): Tim Hortons • Subway
- Gym - In 2013, Goodlife Fitness opened a 10,000 sq.ft workout area that contains state-of-the-art training equipment, stretching area, and free weights. The facility offers changerooms with showers, soap, conditioner, lotion, hair dryers. Location: Terminal 1 on Level 1, Arrivals, Area F. Rate: Day passes cost $ 15 per person per day. They have a Reebok clothing and shoe bundle to rent for $10. Hours: 4:00AM - 11:30PM.
- Information Desk - Locations: available on the Arrivals Level. Hours: unknown
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Terminal 1 (Level 3) - hidden at the far end of the terminal behind the A section ticket counters.
Free seating lounge for all at Lounge Q - Terminal 1
Terminal 3 (Level 2) - located at the center of the airport in the Canada ticket counter. It is hidden behind the ticket counters before entering security.
Rates are per day, according to size $4 (small), $6 (medium), $8 (large), $10 (extra large). Open 05:00-01:00.
- Manicure - Have 10 mins to spare? Head to 10 Minute Manicure. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, Canada Level 2 Gates and USA Level 2 near Gate 57. Hours 7:00AM - 9:00PM every day.
- Mobile Charging - Information not available
- Rest Zone - There is wonderful oasis of armrest free seating that is open to everyone in Terminal 1. If you are waiting around the airport, either for a flight or a friend, and would like some quiet go to Lounge Q. This place is practically empty every time I am there, even though the hall outside is full of people. No one seems to know about this place (well, until now I guess). There is also a play area for children and a TV with little kiddie chairs. Location: Departures Level, Landside, Aisle Q
- Prayer Rooms - or the Aviation Interfaith Ministry as it is referred to at Pearson airport. Worship services are offered throughout the day. Rooms are located landside at Terminal 1 (Level 1) and Terminal 3 (Level 2).
- Showers - Showers can found in three areas: Airside in the three Plaza Premium Lounges ( see Airport Lounges above ) • Goodlife ( Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Level 1, Arrivals, Area F ) • Sheraton Gateway ( Location: Terminal 3, Landside - see Airport Hotels above ).
- Social Media Bragging Station - The airport has created an experimental "Hello World" area where you take photos and post on your favourite social media sites. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate C34
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Brampton Transit: A local service within the City of Brampton. Available from Terminal 1, Ground Level, second curb, Column S2. For routes, schedules and fares visit the Brampton Transit web site.
Go Transit: GO Bus and GO Train services downtown Toronto and the suburbs. Only GO Bus service is available directly from the terminals. Terminal 1, Ground Level, second curb, Column Q2-Q4. For routes, schedules and fares visit the GO Transit web site.
MiWay: A local bus service within Mississauga City. Terminal 1, Ground Level, second curb, Column S4. For routes, schedules and fares visit the MiWay web site.
Toronto Transit Commission: Express bus service (192 Airport Rocket) is available to/from Kipling Subway Station with connections to the the subway. The 52A Lawrence offers regular service to/from Lawrence and Lawrence West Stations. The buses departs from Terminal 1, Ground Level, second curb, Column R4 and Terminal 3, Arrivals Level, third curb, Column C12. Journey time: 20 min Fare: $3.00. No additional payment is required at the subway. For schedules and routes, visit the TTC web site.
Union Pearson Express Train
The new UP Train will transport travellers from Union Station to Terminal 1 in 25 minutes. The train also stops at the Bloor and Weston GO Stations. Frequency: 15 minutes. Fare: $ 27.50 per person. The UP train is expected to start full operations on June 06, 2015. Visit the UP Express web site for more information.
Taxis / Limosines
Taxis are available from Terminals 1 and 3. The 360 taxis and 276 limousines serving Toronto Pearson are fully licensed, ensuring guaranteed fair and consistent rates.
Within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), rates are predetermined based on the time and distance to your destination. Fares for taxis to destinations outside of the GTA are listed on the Out-of-Town Tariff map. Any area that is not listed on this tariff map will be $1.45/km for taxis, or $1.55/km for limousines. Guests are advised to ask drivers to provide fare from tariff chart before leaving the terminal. To view the rate charts visit the Toronto Pearson Airport web site.
Pick up and drop off a vehicle at any of the six on-site rental agencies right at Toronto Pearson. Car rental counters are available on Level 1 of the parking garages adjacent to both terminals.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
There is a free and fully wheelchair accessible 24-hour Link Train connects Terminal 1 and 3. Trains depart every 4-8 minutes depending on the time of day. There are 3 stops: Terminal 1 • Terminal 3/Sheraton Gateway Hotel • Viscount Station, Value Park Garage, Value Park Lot and ALT Hotel.
On off-peak periods, one train will operate and will arrive every eight minutes at the stations. During peak periods, both trains will operate on an eight-minute schedule, one arriving per station every four minutes.
From Terminal 1: board on Level 5 of the Parking Garage.
From Terminal 3: walk across the Sheraton hotel pedestrian bridge and take the escalator up to the train platform.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Toronto Pearson Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 29 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.