About This Airport:
- > Airport Guide
- > Airport Hotels
- > Airport Hours
- > Airport Lounges
- > Airport WiFi
- > Services, Facilities & Things to Do At The Airport
- > Read all Reviews
- > Vote in the 2014
Best & Worst Airports Survey
Toronto Pearson International Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Toronto Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
there were lots of other people sleeping there. The airport staff were friendly. They even provided foamy mats for people to sleep on! -unknown
Terminal 3 (landside). Photo credit: SleepingInAirports.net [ submit a photo ]
"On my way to London from the US, stayed at the airport (Terminal 1) from around 11pm to 6:30am, in the lounge area that other reviewers have already written about. Had a good sleep, thanks to my sleeping bag, the seating without armrest (I'm 185cm 6'1' and I could stretch my legs, which was awesome!) and a t-shirt on my face to avoid lights. There was some background noise (music at low volume, with occasional announcements which were pretty loud), but other than that it was a pleasant experience. I found seating next to power sockets, which was cool. WiFi was free, which was even cooler. What sucked was the lack of food options in the Terminal (the few that were there were closed or were airside)."
The last review for this airport was in 2013. Have you been there recently? Tell us about it!
Charging station, Landside, Terminal 1.
Photo by sleepinginairports.net
Toronto Pearson airport has two terminals - Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Terminal 2 was knocked down and I guess they will rebuild in the future.
Terminal 1 is the newer terminal, so considerable effort has been made to make this building as pretty, but sometimes useless, as possible. It is large and airy with lots of wasted space. You'll enjoy privacy here! Many seats landside are armrest-free. There is a free rest lounge at the far end of the terminal at aisle Q. There is a door and I suspect they lock this at night, so don't count on this space to be your bed for the night, but it is a wonderful place to spend the day away from the crowds. You need not worry though, there is plenty of space in the terminal if you don't mind stretching out on the floor and come prepared with your travel blanket.
Terminal 3 is the older of the two terminals. It is smaller, but comfortable. Again, there are lots of armrest-free seating (see the photo above). Bring a blanket! I find this terminal to be colder than Terminal 1.
Free WiFi is available. What a difference Free WiFi makes at this airport. I intentionally showed up 5 hours before a recent flight and actually enjoyed this airport for the first time in my life. My one recommendation for this airport would be adding more landside recharging stations.
Staff are friendly and helpful in both terminals with the exception of the US Immigration officers who treat you like a security risk and potential illegal alien. Its one thing to explain your motives for visiting their country when you are actually in their country, but you may just want to cancel your trip after having to explain yourself on your own soil. Yes, if you are flying to the US, you will go through US Immigration in Toronto not in the US.
Overall, as of my November 2011 visit, I really like Pearson Airport. With its free WiFi, armrest-free landside seating and Plaza Premium lounges (airside), this is my personal pick for best airport in North America.
There are 10 lounges at the Toronto airport that you can buy your way into:
- Plaza Premium Lounge
Offers food & beverages, alcoholic drinks, Internet / WiFi and more. Rates: $ 35 (2 hours) • $ 45 (3 hours) • $65 (6 hours) or £22.00 (when booked online). [ 20% off Coupon ]
- Domestic - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures. Showers are available. Hours: 5am - 1030pm
- Pearson Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Departures, Level 3, Gate E77. Hours: 5am - 10pm
- US Transborder - Location: Terminal 1, Airside on level 2. Hours: 5am - 830pm. Showers are available.
- Domestic - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Domestic Departures, Level 2, between Gates B22 and B24. Hours: 5am - 1030pm.
- International - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Gate C33. Hours: 430am - 1030pm. Showers are available.
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge
- Domestic - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures. Hours: 515am - 12am
- Transborder - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Transborder Departures. Hours: 5am - 845pm
- International - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Departures. Hours: 615am - 1130pm (Mon - Fri) • 500am - 1130pm (Sat - Sun)
- American Admiral's Club Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Concourse B. Hours: 5am - 7pm (Mon - Fri) • 530am - 630pm (Sat) • 530am - 7pm (Sun)
- Air France / KLM Crown Lounge - Terminal 3, Airside, Concourse C, next to Gate 33. Hours: 1pm - 12am. Rate: from £25.00 per person for 3 hours (book online)
Free WiFi is available at the Toronto Airport. Connect to the "Toronto Pearson WIFI" network.
If sleeping in the Toronto Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel at the airport....
- Sheraton Gateway - connected to the Terminal 3. The hotel has a 24 hour fitness center with gym, pool, whirlpool, sauna and change room. Purchase a day pass at the front desk for $ 25.
- ALT Hotel Toronto Pearson - a new reasonably priced hotel adjacent to Terminals 1 and 3, at the end of the LINK Train line, near the Viscount long-term parking lot.
The closest hotel off airport grounds is the Four Points by Sheraton. You could probably even walk there from Terminal 3 if you just missed the shuttle and didn't want to wait for the next one (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours - departs every 30 minutes). Other hotels I saw with shuttles driving through were the Comfort Inn (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours) and Hilton Toronto Airport (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours - departs every 20 minutes), but there are many other hotels nearby.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Pearson Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art and Exhibits - Terminal 1 currently offers large scultures (airside), a changing art display (landside) and a dinosaur display (landside). Terminal 3 has a film exhibition created by the Toronto International Film Festival.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes. Available throughout both terminals (landside and airside)
- Car Rentals - Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Thrifty. Locations: Terminals 1 and 3, Levels 1, adjacent parking garages. There are also off-airport car rentals. Take the LINK train to the Viscount Station where there will be shuttle buses and vans available.
- Children Play Areas - Your little rugrats will be entertained here with a few small play areas available airside.
Terminal 1 (Level 2) - You'll find them at gates 105, 124 139, 145
Terminal 3 (Level 2 ) - this play area seems to be an after thought. It is located at the far end of the terminal at C35. Any further away and it would be on the tarmac.
- Currency Exchange - ICE and Travelex have kiosks available on the Arrivals and Departures levels of Terminals 1 and 3 (landside).
- Food / Dining -
Tim Hortons is open 24-hours in both terminals before security.
>>Terminal 1: Tim Hortons
>>Terminal 3: Tim Hortons • Subway
- Information Desk - Locations: available on the Arrivals Level. Hours: unknown
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Terminal 1 (Level 3) - hidden at the far end of the terminal behind the A section ticket counters.
Free seating lounge for all at Lounge Q - Terminal 1
Terminal 3 (Level 2) - located at the center of the airport in the Canada ticket counter. It is hidden behind the ticket counters before entering security.
Rates are per day, according to size $4 (small), $6 (medium), $8 (large), $10 (extra large). Open 05:00-01:00
- Quiet Lounge - There is wonderful oasis of armrest free seating that is open to everyone in Terminal 1. If you are waiting around the airport, either for a flight or a friend, and would like some quiet go to Lounge Q. This place is practically empty every time I am there, even though the hall outside is full of people. No one seems to know about this place (well, until now I guess). There is also a play area for children and a TV with little kiddie chairs. Location: Departures Level, Landside, Aisle Q
- Prayer Rooms - or the Aviation Interfaith Ministry as it is referred to at Pearson airport. Worship services are offered throughout the day. Rooms are located landside at Terminal 1 (Level 1) and Terminal 3 (Level 2).
- Showers - Airside in the Plaza Lounge (Terminal 3 - see Airport Lounges above). See also Sheraton Gateway (see Airport Hotels section above).
- Social Media Bragging Station - The airport has created an experimental "Hello World" area where you take photos and post on your favourite social media sites. Location: Terminal 3, International Departures, Gate C34
Open 24 hours
Airport Transportation: Getting There
Public Transportation - The airport is accessible by public transit.
- TTC -
192 Airport Rocket - express bus service to/from Kipling Subway Station. Departs from Arrivals Levels at Terminals 1 and 3. Journey time:
20 min Fare: $3.00. No additional payment at the subway which you will take to continue to downtown. See Schedule here.
Express Airport Shuttle Buses
The Airport Express is a direct shuttle link between downtown and the airport.
Journey Time: 30-60 depending on time of day. Fare: $ 20
While you can take a taxi to the airport, taxis are not permitted to pick-up passengers. You need to take a Limosine.
They have set fares according to what zone you are going to. It really annoys me I have to pay $ 50 + tip for a 15 minute ride home.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
The free 24-hour Link Train connects Terminal 1 and 3.
- If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, as a question on our Facebook Page.
Last Updated: 06 October 2013
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.