Toronto Pearson Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Toronto Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
there were lots of other people sleeping there. The airport staff were friendly. They even provided foamy mats for people to sleep on! -a traveller
Terminal 3 (landside). Photo credit: SleepingInAirports.net
by a traveller
August 2015 - The rest lounge referenced to in earlier posts does not exist. I am here right now at Toronto Pearson and have looked everywhere and asked around and no one knows what this place is. Sleeping in Airports Editor's Note: After I received this review, I contacted the airport to see what happened with the lounge. They did not respond, so I went to the airport myself to see what happened. The Rest Area is still there (Terminal 1, Departures Level, Landside, Aisle Q). Future travellers need to walk to the far end of the terminal towards the big windows. On a sad note, the seating has been drastically reduced from the bountiful seating seen in earlier photos on this site. We're hoping the airport is just doing some rearranging for the Pan Am Games, because the new arrangement they have going is a major FAIL.
Have you been to Toronto Pearson Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Charging station, Landside, Terminal 1.
Photo by sleepinginairports.net
Toronto Pearson airport has two terminals - Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Terminal 2 was knocked down and I guess they will rebuild in the future.
Terminal 1 is the newer terminal, so considerable effort has been made to make this building as pretty, but sometimes useless, as possible. It is large and airy with lots of wasted space. You'll enjoy privacy here! Many seats landside are armrest-free. There is a free rest lounge at the far end of the terminal at aisle Q. There is a door and I suspect they lock this at night, so don't count on this space to be your bed for the night, but it is a wonderful place to spend the day away from the crowds. You need not worry though, there is plenty of space in the terminal if you don't mind stretching out on the floor and come prepared with your travel blanket.
Terminal 3 is the older of the two terminals. It is smaller, but comfortable. Again, there are lots of armrest-free seating (see the photo above). Bring a blanket! I find this terminal to be colder than Terminal 1.
Free WiFi is available. What a difference Free WiFi makes at this airport. I intentionally showed up 5 hours before a recent flight and actually enjoyed this airport for the first time in my life. My one recommendation for this airport would be adding more landside recharging stations.
Staff are friendly and helpful in both terminals with the exception of the US Immigration officers who treat you like a security risk and potential illegal alien. Its one thing to explain your motives for visiting their country when you are actually in their country, but you may just want to cancel your trip after having to explain yourself on your own soil. Yes, if you are flying to the US, you will go through US Immigration in Toronto not in the US.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Toronto airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
There are 10 lounges at the Toronto airport that you can buy your way into:
- Plaza Premium Lounge
Offers food & beverages, alcoholic drinks, Internet / WiFi and more. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door ($ 40 - 2 hours • $ 50 -3 hours • $70 - 6 hours) • Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass.
- Domestic - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures. Showers are available. Hours: 5am - 1030pm
- Pearson Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Departures, Level 3, Gate E77. Hours: 4:30am - 1am (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sun) • 4:30am - 10pm (Wed, Fri, Sat)
- US Transborder - Location: Terminal 1, Airside on level 2. Hours: 5am - 830pm. Showers are available.
- Domestic - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Domestic Departures, Level 2, between Gates B22 and B24. Hours: 5am - 1030pm.
- International - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Gate C33. Hours: 430am - 1030pm. Showers are available.
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge
- Lounge Access: Book Online ($25/50) • Maple Leaf Club Membership.
- Domestic - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Domestic Departures. Hours: 515am - 12am
- Transborder - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Transborder Departures. Hours: 5am - 845pm
- International - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Departures. Hours: 615am - 1130pm (Mon - Fri) • 500am - 1130pm (Sat - Sun)
- American Admiral's Club - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, Concourse B. Hours: 5am - 7pm (Mon - Fri) • 530am - 630pm (Sat) • 530am - 7pm (Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Air France / KLM Crown Lounge - Terminal 3, Airside, Concourse C, next to Gate 33. Hours: 1:00PM -12:00AM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
Free WiFi is available at Toronto Airport. Connect to the "Toronto Pearson WIFI" network.
If sleeping in Toronto Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sheraton Gateway Hotel - Connected to Terminal 3 via climate-controlled walkway. The hotel has a 24 hour fitness center with gym, pool, whirlpool, sauna and change room. Purchase a day pass at the front desk for $ 25.
- ALT Hotel Toronto Pearson - (4 min from the airport) A new, resonably priced hotel located at Viscount station, at the end of the LINK train line. Free airport shuttle service to Terminals 1 and 3.
- Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport - (5 min from the airport) Located adjacent to Terminal 3. You could walk there from Terminal 3 if you just missed the shuttle and didn't want to wait for the next one. Free airport shuttle service departs every 30 minutes on the hour and half-hour. Airport shuttle picks up from Terminal 1 (S5 on Level G, lowest exit of the terminal) and Terminal 3 (C22 on Arrivals Level 1, lowest exit of the terminal).
- Comfort Inn Toronto Airport - (5 min from the airport) Located adjacent to the airport. No airport shuttle.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Pearson Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art and Exhibits - Terminal 1 currently offers large scultures (airside), a changing art display (landside) and a dinosaur display (landside). Terminal 3 has a film exhibition created by the Toronto International Film Festival.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes. Available throughout both terminals (landside and airside).
- Baggage Carts - 5,000 new baggage carts are available at the airport. Rate: free of charge.
- Children Play Areas - Your little rugrats will be entertained here with a few small play areas available airside.
Terminal 1 (Level 2) - You'll find them at gates 105, 124 139, 145
Terminal 3 (Level 2 ) - this play area seems to be an after thought. It is located at the far end of the terminal at C35. Any further away and it would be on the tarmac.
- Currency Exchange - ICE and Travelex have kiosks available on the Arrivals and Departures levels of Terminals 1 and 3 (landside).
- Food & Drinks -
There are many food options before and after security. If you are looking for 24-hour food and beverage concessions, here are your options:
- Terminal 1 (Landside): Tim Hortons • Subway • 7-Eleven (Level G, Ground Transportation) • 7-Eleven (Value Park Garage)
- Terminal 1 (Airside): A&W (Level 2 Gates)
- Terminal 3 (Landside): Tim Hortons • Subway
- Gym - In 2013, Goodlife Fitness opened a 10,000 sq.ft workout area that contains state-of-the-art training equipment, stretching area, and free weights. The facility offers changerooms with showers, soap, conditioner, lotion, hair dryers. Location: Terminal 1 on Level 1, Arrivals, Area F. Rate: Day passes cost $ 15 per person per day. They have a Reebok clothing and shoe bundle to rent for $10. Hours: 4:00AM - 11:30PM.
- Information Desk - Locations: available on the Arrivals Level. Hours: unknown Luggage Storage / Lockers - Terminal 1 (Level 3) - hidden at the far end of the terminal behind the A section ticket counters.
- Manicure - Have 10 mins to spare? Head to 10 Minute Manicure. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, Canada Level 2 Gates and USA Level 2 near Gate 57. Hours 7:00AM - 9:00PM every day.
- Mobile Charging - At the gates, some seats have power points nearby.
Rest Zone -
- CIBC Welcome Centre - In Terminal 1 on the Arrivals Level, there are 6 or 7 large padded seats to sink into. Unfortunately, the seats are located across from the International Arrivals door, so it is not particularly quiet. You would be best to have noise cancelling headphones if you nap here during the daytime.
- Lounge 15 - Formerly known as Lounge Q. In August 2015, when we heard rumblings in a recent traveller review that this seating area no longer exists and the airport rudely ignored our requests, we headed out to YYZ to find the answer ourselves. Well, the lounge is still there, but the seating has been drastically reduced. There were still a lot of empty seats though and a few airport sleepers were spotted enjoying the armrest free seating. There is also a play area for children. Location: Terminal 1, Departures Level, Landside, Aisle 15.
- Prayer Rooms - or the Aviation Interfaith Ministry as it is referred to at Pearson airport. Worship services are offered throughout the day. Rooms are located landside at Terminal 1 (Level 1) and Terminal 3 (Level 2).
- Showers - Showers can found in three areas: Airside in the three Plaza Premium Lounges ( see Airport Lounges above ) • Goodlife ( Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Level 1, Arrivals, Area F ) • Sheraton Gateway ( Location: Terminal 3, Landside - see Airport Hotels above ).
Terminal 3 (Level 2) - located at the center of the airport in the Canada ticket counter. It is hidden behind the ticket counters before entering security.
Rates are per day, according to size $4 (small), $6 (medium), $8 (large), $10 (extra large). Open 05:00-01:00.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) - Toronto Pearson Airport is served by four TTC express and local bus routes:
- 192 Airport Rocket - Service between both airport terminals and Kipling Station (subway), with a few stops in between. One-way total travel time is 20 - 25 minutes.
- 52A Lawrence West - Service between both airport terminals and Lawrence/West Lawrence subway stations.
- 300A Bloor-Danforth - Nightly service between the airport and the Bloor-Danforth corridor from 2:00AM - 5:00AM.
- 307 Eglinton West - Nightly service between the airport and Yonge Street-Eglinton Ave from 1:30AM - 5:00AM.
TTC bus stops are located at Terminal 1 (Ground Level, 2nd curb, Column R4) and Terminal 3 (Arrivals, 3rd curb, Column C12). For fares and schedules, visit the TTC website.
GO Transit provides bus service between the airport and North York via Bus Route 34; Hamilton, Oakville and Mississauga via Bus Route 40; and hourly service to Yorkdale and York Mills subway stations. GO bus stops are at Terminal 1 (Ground Level, 2nd curb, Column Q2-Q4). For fares and schedules, visit the GO Transit website.
The Brampton Transit Airport Express runs between Toronto Pearson Terminal 1 (Ground Level, 2nd curb, Column S2) and Bramalea Terminal at Bramalea City Centre Shopping Mall, with several stops along the route. For fares and schedules, visit the Brampton Transit website.
MiWay local transit buses serve the city of Mississauga. Route 7N and Route 7S buses travel between City Center Bus Terminal (Platform K) and Westwood Mall Bus Terminal (Platform C), stopping at the airport’s Terminal 1 (Ground Level, 2nd curb, Column S4) in either direction. For fares and schedule information, visit the MiWay website.
Six car rental agencies operate on-site on Level 1 of the parking garages located next to Terminals 1 and 3: Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National/Alamo and Thrifty. Several off-site rental agencies provide courtesy transportation from Viscount Station. Contact your rental agency of choice for details.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Hotel shuttles pick-up on the Ground Level. .Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Alt Hotel - Toronto Airport • BWP Toronto Airport Hotel • Comfort Inn Toronto Airport • Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Toronto Airport • Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Toronto Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Airport • Hilton Toronto Airport & Suites • Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport • Hotel Carlingview Toronto Airport • Quality Suites Toronto Airport • Toronto Airport Marriott Hotel • Travelodge Hotel Toronto Airport • Westin Bristol Place Toronto Airport.
There is a free and fully wheelchair accessible 24-hour Link Train connects Terminal 1 and 3. Trains depart every 4-8 minutes depending on the time of day. There are 3 stops: Terminal 1 • Terminal 3/Sheraton Gateway Hotel • Viscount Station, Value Park Garage, Value Park Lot and ALT Hotel.
On off-peak periods, one train will operate and will arrive every eight minutes at the stations. During peak periods, both trains will operate on an eight-minute schedule, one arriving per station every four minutes.
From Terminal 1: board on Level 5 of the Parking Garage.
From Terminal 3: walk across the Sheraton hotel pedestrian bridge and take the escalator up to the train platform.
Long Distance Bus and Shuttle Service
Several companies provide service between Toronto Pearson Airport and locations throughout Ontario and across the border in the United States. Information on these services is available at Information Counters located in Terminal 1 (Ground Level) and Terminal 3 (Arrivals Level).
Taxi and Limousine
Licensed taxis and limousines can be found at Terminal 1 (Doors C & D), Terminal 3 Domestic Arrivals (Door B) and Terminal 3 International Arrivals (Door F). Fares are based on a zone map, dividing the area between GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and Out-of-Town tariffs, and charged according to time and distance. For locations outside of the Out-of-Town tariffs area, fares are charged per kilometer. Cash and credit cards are accepted. For safety reasons, do not accept rides from people who approach you in the terminal or ask you to follow them to the parking garage.
Taxi and limousine service can also be pre-arranged. Contact your service provider of choice to make arrangements prior to arrival. Pre-arranged taxis and limousines pick-up from Terminal 1 (Door A) and Terminal 3 (Door E).
The Union Pearson Express, or UP Express, is an amenity-filled express train that runs between the airport and downtown in just 25 minutes. Trains depart every 15 minutes from 5:30AM - 1:00AM, stopping at two other stations along the ride between Pearson Airport Station and Union Station in downtown Toronto. Tickets can be purchased online, onboard the train, or from a ticket vending machine or customer service desk at any of the stations. For tickets or more information, visit the UP Express website.
Last Updated: 29 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.