Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Phoenix Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I found several pieces of kids play toys which stacked up perfectly to make a great, comfy mattress. (see photo below) -Alison
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
What to expect
- PHX is a bright and modern airport with limited shopping and dining options. Of all the Sky Harbor terminals, Terminal 4 has the best variety of options and amenities.
- Check-in and security lines can be long and slow during busy hours at the airport. Allow yourself some leeway by showing up early for your flight.
- Terminals 3 and 4 are connected by PHX Sky Train automated people mover. Terminal 2 is linked to Terminal 3 by covered walkway.
- Sky Harbor is modest in size, but the walk between groups of gates is deceptively long. The scenic walkways between Gate A30 and Gate D8 are even officially known as the “Sky Harbor Fitness Trail”. Get some exercise while enjoying scenic views of Phoenix!
- Boarding areas can be insanely crowded, with limited seating and even fewer places to charge your mobile devices.
- After the last of the day’s flights arrive, airside shops and eateries shut down for the night, turning the terminals into virtual ghost towns.
- All terminals have at least one 24-hour restaurant in the pre-security (landside) area. Meals that contain less than 3 ounces of liquid can be brought through security.
- Due to the accessibility of the airport by mass transit, there are reports of homeless people inside the terminals at night.
- The airport provides free (and unlimited!) WiFi. See our WiFi section below for more info.
Where to Sleep
- Lightly-padded, armrest-free seating is available throughout the airport, with Terminal 4 receiving some of the best reviews when it comes to looking for places to sleep. B Concourse gates and a Starbucks on the 1st floor were named as two of the best areas to find a comfortable place to sleep.
- Traveller reviews mention loud overhead announcements, loud TVs and hourly fire drills blaring from 1AM - 4AM. Earplugs or noise cancelling headphones are recommended.
- There are no airport hotels on site. See our Airport Hotels section for nearby hotels with free airport shuttles.
Good to know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- If you have some time to kill, consider taking the free PHX Sky Train. Accessible from all three terminals, the PHX Sky Train links the airport to the Phoenix Metro Light Rail system, a low-cost and easy way to travel to/from central Phoenix, downtown Tempe and Mesa. See our Airport Transportation section below for more info.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Phoenix Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Phoenix airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- United Club - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, Concourse 2, near Gate 7. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • United Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal 4, Airside, Concourse A, above Gates A7 and A9. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal 4, Airside, Concourse A, between Gates A19 and A21. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal 4, Airside, Concourse B, above Gates B5 and B7. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- The Club at PHX - This lounge is available to all travellers no matter what class of service or airline. Location: Terminal 4, Airside, at the end of N4 Concourse (Gates B15 - B28). Hours: 8:00AM - 3:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 40.00) • Save $5 when you Book Online (US$ 35.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
USO Lounge - USO Arizona provides active military members and their families a VIP area with sofas and chairs, computers, large-screen televisions, games, a kitchen and children's play area. Books, snacks, soft drinks and water. Access: free of charge. Location: Terminal 4, pre-security on Level 2, East End. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
If sleeping in Phoenix Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Aloft Phoenix Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle, and also steps away from the PHX SkyTrain and the Metro Light Rail.
- Hyatt Place Tempe Phoenix Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and surrounding area (within 5 mile radius), available daily from 5:00AM to 11:00PM.
- Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available on demand.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Phoenix Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free (unlimited) WiFi is available at Phoenix Sky Habor airport. Connect to the "SKYHARBOR PUBLIC WLAN" network.
- Airport Ambassadors - If you have questions about the airport or need any assistance, enlist the help of a friendly Sky Harbor Airport ambassador.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes. Available throughout the terminals.
- Baby Care Facilities - Nursing mother stations are available in the landside areas of all three terminals.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Location: Terminal 4, level 3
- Children's Play Area
- Terminal 2 - at the end of the concourse near Gates 12 & 13
- Terminal 3 - at the end of the south concourse between Gates 7 & 9 and at the end of the north concourse near gates 15-26
- Terminal 4 - close to Gate B19
- Currency Exchange - Travelex. Locations: Terminal 4, Level 3, Landside, just outside the B checkpoint and also in Terminal 4, Airside, next to gate B-15. Hours: unknown.
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 2 - available, but locations are unknown.
- Terminal 3 - available, but locations are unknown.
- Terminal 4 - Lola Coffee (landside, East End) • Paradise Bakery (airside, Gate C17) • Wildflower Bread Company (landside, center Food Court)(airside, Gate A9) * 24-Hour dining options also available in Terminals 2 and 3
- Information Desk - Locations: Terminal 2, Landside, near Barrio Avion and NYPD Pizza • Terminal 3, Levels 1 and 2 • Termianl 4, Level 1 (East End & West End) and Level 3 (East End & West End) • Car Rental Center, in the lobby.
- Mobile Charging - Equipped with power outlets, USB ports and comfortable seating, the airport’s charging tables are perfect for charging up your laptop and other electronic devices. “Get Plugged In” kiosks have six electrical outlets and six USB ports on all three sides. Charging tables can be found in the lobbies (landside) of all three terminals, while “Get Plugged In” kiosks are located both landside and airside in each terminal.
- Museums - Location: Terminal 2 / Terminal 4, Level 3 / Terminal 3, Level 2
- Showers - no longer available.
- Smoking - There are designated areas outside for smokers. Terminal 2: one on east side; one just west of terminal ground level. Terminal 3: four areas: on the east; west; north; and south sides of terminal ground level. Terminal 4: 11 areas: four on the north; three on the south on ground level; and two on the north and two on south side of level 2.
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Location: Terminal 4, Level 3, near Chapel. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon - Fri).
- Walking Trail - FitPHX scenic in-airport walkway is located in Terminal 4, airside, between Gates A30 and D8.
- Water Fountains - A reader tells us that the water fountains have a feature to fill water bottles instead of tilting them.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
The Amtrak connection is located inside the airport with transport desks located in Terminals 2, 3, and 4.
Valley Metro city bus route 13 travels between 75th Ave/Buckeye Rd (West Phoenix) and the airport. Bus routes 1, 3 and 44 stop at the 44th Street/Washington Valley Metro Rail station, which is connected to the airport via PHX Sky Train. For fares and information, visit the Valley Metro web site.
Onsite car rental agencies operate within the Rental Car Center, a facility located just south of the airport complex. The Rental Car Shuttle runs continuously between the airport and the Rental Car Center, stopping to retrieve passengers at the baggage claim level of every terminal. Reservations are highly recommended. The following agencies can be found at the Rental Car Center: Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Firefly, Fox, Hertz, National, Payless, Silvercar, Sixt and Thrifty.
Several local hotels provide free airport shuttle service for their guests. Ask your hotel about shuttle service availability. Some area hotels can be contacted through the Courtesy Telephone Centers located in the baggage claim area of each terminal. Hotel shuttles pick-up outside the Baggage Claim area. Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Aloft Phoenix Airport • Best Western Airport Inn • Courtyard Phoenix Airport • Crowne Plaza Phoenix Airport • DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Phoenix • Econo Lodge Airport • Country Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport • Hampton Inn Phoenix - Airport North • Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Phoenix Airport North • Hilton Phoenix Airport • Holiday Inn Express Phoenix Airport (University Drive) • Radisson Hotel Phoenix Airport • Residence Inn Phoenix Airport.
PHX Sky Train
The PHX Sky Train is a free 24-hr automated train that runs between the Terminals 3 and 4, East Economy Parking and the Valley Metro Rail station on 44th Street and Washington Ave. Terminal 2 can be accessed via covered walkway from the Terminal 3 Sky Train station. Trains arrive at each station every 3 minutes during peak time with a total of 5 minutes travel time between each stop. For more information on the PHX Sky Train and its Valley Metro Light Rail and bus connections, visit the Valley Metro web site.
Shared Ride Shuttle
SuperShuttle provides a door-to-door shared ride shuttle service between the airport and the Phoenix metropolitan area. The shuttles depart every 15 minutes from 9:00AM - 9:00PM, and fares are based on a zone system. SuperShuttles can be found at Terminal 2 (ground level, north curbside), Terminal 3 (ground level, north and south curbside) and Terminal 4 (Level 1, north and south curbside).
Passengers from all over Arizona rely on Phoenix Sky Harbor, as it is Arizona’s largest and busiest commercial airport. Statewide shuttles provide daily service to and from many cities located throughout Arizona. Contact your service provider of choice for rates and information.
Taxis are readily available 24 hours a day at Terminal 2 (ground level east, door 8), Terminal 3 (ground level north, door 7 and south, door 6) and Terminal 4 (Level 1 north, door 7 and south, door 6). Only Apache Taxi, AAA/Yellow Cab and Mayflower Cab are authorized to pick up passengers at the airport. Rates are charged according to the meter, and most taxis accept all major credit cards. Wheelchair-accessible taxis are available on request.
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.