Washington Dulles Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Washington Dulles Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I didn't get a wink of sleep, but I saved a lot of $$$$.
photo credit: Dbenbenn / Wikimedia
In order to save money, I decided to spend a night at Dulles Airport. It turned out to be fairly okay, with only a few minor annoyances. First of all, the baggage claim area (arrival level) has a lot of chairs, but all of them are with armrests (all chairs in the terminal are). There are quite a few number of shops which are open 24 hours, including Starbucks and a newstand. However, sleeping at the arrival hall wasn't as good as sleeping at the check-in level, where most of the lights were turned off and there was a secluded spot behind the United counters where many other sleepers were sleeping. But watch out for the air-con. It gets close to freezing later on. Overall, it was a relatively peaceful night, with the cleaners making enough noise to wake me up at 5, just the time I wanted.
Have you been to Washington Dulles Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Washington Dulles airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
United Club - Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse C, near Gate C7. Hours: 6am - 10pm
- United Club - Location: Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse C, near Gate C17. Hours: 6am - 930pm
- United Club - Location: Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse D, near Gate D8. Hours: 630am - 930pm
Other Airline Lounges: British Airways Galleries Lounge (Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse B) • Virgin Atlantic (Main Terminal, Airside, Concourse A, across from Gate A32)
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge to members of the military and their families. Amenities include: WiFi, TV lounge, toiletries, snacks, computers and a library. Location: Arrivals Level, Across from Baggage Claim 11 & 12. Hours: 6am - 10pm
Free WiFi is available at Dulles Airport.
If sleeping in Washington Dulles Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Washington Dulles Airport Marriott - (4 min from the airport) Free scheduled airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, call 1-703-471-9500 or use the courtesy phone in the baggage claim area.
- Westin Washington Dulles Airport - (10 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs to the airport every 30 minutes from 5:30am to 11:30pm, and upon request after hours. Shuttle picks up at the airport (Arrival Curb 2A and 2H near ground transportation) on the :15 and :45 of every hour, on the lower level outside of baggage claim. Verify that you are boarding the correct shuttle, as there are shuttles for other Westin properties. Call the hotel at 703-793-3366 to schedule an airport pick-up.
- Hyatt Dulles - (10 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs to the airport every 30 minutes from 4:15am to 12:15am. Shuttle picks up at the airport (Arrival Curb 2A and 2H near ground transportation) every 30 minutes from 4:30am to 12:30am, on the lower level outside of baggage claim. Shuttle also goes to nearby Reston Town Center (shopping, restaurants, and a movie theatre) at 4:45pm, 6:45pm, and 8:45pm.
- Best Western Dulles Airport Inn - (12 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 4am to 11pm. Hotel shuttle also goes to local restaurants and businesses, within a 3-mile radius, daily from 6pm to 9pm.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Dulles Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are are 10 Capital One Bank ATMs located throughout the airport (airside and landside).
- Baggage Carts - SmarteCartes are available for a fee. Rate: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Thrifty. Location: Ground Transportation Level.
- Chapel - Location: Airside, Gate A28 Hours: open 24 hours
- Currency Exchange - There are 7 ICE offices and 2 foreign currency ATMs located throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Food & Drinks - There are more than 30 food and beverage concessions at the airport. Here are the dining options that are open 24 hours:
»Landside: Guava & Java • Starbucks • Dulles Gourmet Market • Stellar News
»Concourse D: Dunkin Donuts • Faber News
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Massages - Location: Airside, Concourse A, A20
- Mobile Charging - Location: Airside, near the gates.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking lounges are located near gates B38, B75, C4 and D30.
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as landing at the wrong airport, transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Locations: Baggage Claim, adjacent to carousel # 6 • Baggage Claim, adjacent to carousel # 12 • Baggage Claim, adjacent to carousel # 14 • East Mezzanine, Airside, just past security • West Mezzanine, Airside, just past security • Roaming Mobile Guides are available in Concourses A, B, C, C7, D. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Sat - Sun).
The airport is open 24 hours
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Washington Dulles Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 12 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.