Washington Dulles Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Washington Dulles Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I didn't get a wink of sleep, but I saved a lot of $$$$.
photo credit: Dbenbenn / Wikimedia
July 2015 - I have no idea what the hours are for the Aerotrain -- I have never found posted hours. Stumbling off a badly delayed United flight in Terminal C -- we headed to Aerotrain. Aerotrain said 'not in service.' Very discouraging. Waited five minutes and the train did indeed arrive. The secret to Dulles Airport is that Terminal C/D (they are connected) is a filthy atrocity. The good news is that Terminal B is modern, clean, has lots of shopping and food choices and you can spread out. There is always a gate with no activity. And it is clean. Aerotrain can get you to Terminal B -- if you have extra time at Dulles Airport -- train over to Terminal B. I hope Washington Metropolitan Airports Authority puts the wrecking ball to C/D soon. I did see folks at 430am sleeping in Terminal C and they seemed to be at least 'surviving.'
Have you been to Washington Dulles Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Washington Dulles airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
United Club - Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse C, near Gate C7. Hours: 6am - 10pm
- United Club - Location: Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse C, near Gate C17. Hours: 6am - 930pm
- United Club - Location: Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse D, near Gate D8. Hours: 630am - 930pm
Other Airline Lounges: British Airways Galleries Lounge (Midfield Terminal, Airside, Concourse B) • Virgin Atlantic (Main Terminal, Airside, Concourse A, across from Gate A32)
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge to members of the military and their families. Amenities include: WiFi, TV lounge, toiletries, snacks, computers and a library. Location: Arrivals Level, Across from Baggage Claim 11 & 12. Hours: 6am - 10pm
Free WiFi is available at Dulles Airport.
If sleeping in Washington Dulles Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Washington Dulles Airport Marriott - (4 min from the airport) Free scheduled airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, call 1-703-471-9500 or use the courtesy phone in the baggage claim area.
- Westin Washington Dulles Airport - (10 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs to the airport every 30 minutes from 5:30am to 11:30pm, and upon request after hours. Shuttle picks up at the airport (Arrival Curb 2A and 2H near ground transportation) on the :15 and :45 of every hour, on the lower level outside of baggage claim. Verify that you are boarding the correct shuttle, as there are shuttles for other Westin properties. Call the hotel at 703-793-3366 to schedule an airport pick-up.
- Hyatt Dulles - (10 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs to the airport every 30 minutes from 4:15am to 12:15am. Shuttle picks up at the airport (Arrival Curb 2A and 2H near ground transportation) every 30 minutes from 4:30am to 12:30am, on the lower level outside of baggage claim. Shuttle also goes to nearby Reston Town Center (shopping, restaurants, and a movie theatre) at 4:45pm, 6:45pm, and 8:45pm.
- Best Western Dulles Airport Inn - (12 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 4am to 11pm. Hotel shuttle also goes to local restaurants and businesses, within a 3-mile radius, daily from 6pm to 9pm.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Dulles Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are are 10 Capital One Bank ATMs located throughout the airport (airside and landside).
- Baggage Carts - SmarteCartes are available for a fee. Rate: unknown.
- Chapel - Location: Airside, Gate A28 Hours: open 24 hours
- Currency Exchange - There are 7 ICE offices and 2 foreign currency ATMs located throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Food & Drinks - There are more than 30 food and beverage concessions at the airport. Here are the dining options that are open 24 hours:
»Landside: Guava & Java • Starbucks • Dulles Gourmet Market • Stellar News
»Concourse D: Dunkin Donuts • Faber News
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Massages - Location: Airside, Concourse A, A20
- Mobile Charging - Location: Airside, near the gates.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking lounges are located near gates B38, B75, C4 and D30.
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as landing at the wrong airport, transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Locations: Baggage Claim, adjacent to carousel # 6 • Baggage Claim, adjacent to carousel # 12 • Baggage Claim, adjacent to carousel # 14 • East Mezzanine, Airside, just past security • West Mezzanine, Airside, just past security • Roaming Mobile Guides are available in Concourses A, B, C, C7, D. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Sat - Sun).
The airport is open 24 hours
Airport Transporation: Getting To/From The Airport
The Silver Line Express provides bus service between Washington-Dulles Airport and the Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail Station, a stop along the silver line of Washington DC’s Metrorail system. Buses run every 15 to 20 minutes from 6:00AM - 10:40PM on weekdays and 7:45AM - 10:40PM on weekends. The Silver Line Express bus stops at Arrivals Door 4, in the center of the airport terminal, and the parking garage of Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail Station. Arriving passengers can purchase bus tickets at the ticket counter in the Arrivals Hall. Passengers catching the bus from the metro station can pay for their tickets once they reach the airport. The fare is $5 each way. Both cash and credit card are accepted.
The following bus routes operate to/from Dulles Airport Ground Transportation Curb location 2E:
MetroBus Route 5A - Runs between the airport and Herndon Monroe Park & Ride, Rosslyn and L’Enfant Plaza. A one-way ticket is $7
Fairfax Connector Route 983 - Provides service from the airport and the National Air & Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Center. A one-way ticket is $1.75
Fairfax Connector Route 981 - Runs between the airport and Herndon Monroe Park & Ride, Reston Town Center and Wiehle-Reston East metro station. A one-way ticket is $1.75.
The following agencies provide on-site car rental service: Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle: Best Western Dulles Airport Inn • Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson • Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport • Hilton Washington Dulles Airport • Homewood Suites Dulles International Airport • Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport • Hyatt House Sterling/Dulles Airport-North • Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East • Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel • Staybridge Suites Dulles • The Westin Washington Dulles Airport • TownePlace Suites Washington Dulles Airport • Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
SuperShuttle and Supreme Airport Shuttle offer 24-hr shared transfer service from the airport to your destination of choice. No prior reservation required. The shuttles can be found down the ramps from Arrivals Doors 2 or 7 at the Dulles Airport Ground Transportation Center.
Washington Flyer Taxis provide 24 hour service exclusively between the airport and the DC metropolitan area. Reservations are not required for service from the airport, but are highly recommended for service to the airport. Cash, credit cards and airline-issued vouchers are accepted as payment. Taxis can be found down the ramps from Arrivals Doors 2 or 7 at the Dulles Airport Ground Transportation Center.
At the time of this update, construction is underway for an elevated rail line from Wiehle-Reston East metro station to Dulles Airport. This new rail line will extend Metrorail Silver Line service all the way to the airport. Construction on the Metrorail extension is expected to be completed by 2019.
Last Updated: 12 May 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.