Hong Kong Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Hong Kong Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we actually just slept on the floor because we were so tired and didn't have to time to look for somewhere better. My dad crawled under the seats so as to be out of the way. - Steve
Ok folks, I had a layover for 12 HOURS!!!! at the Hong Kong airport for a 4 HOUR flight back to Singapore! what a bummer!
Landed at 8pm - had a late dinner at the 24hour dining places on the 6th floor.
Looked at the board and saw almost no activity at Gates 500. So I took the lift down to the 4th floor and found the PERFECT sweet spot outside gate 521. No one around, the seats here had four chairs in a row without armrests ( else where it was at most, 2 seats without armrests ) Fairly quiet, with the toilet nearby. Highly recommended.
Another tip, if you're up really late ( after midnight ) or really early ( before 7am ) take a stroll down the long belt between gates 30..... all the PCs with free internet become accessible as the airport clears out... I was happily using the PC for over an hour after 1am ( usually they ask you use it for 15 mins ) when I stopped, looked around and saw - no one. not a single soul down the strip - it was straight out of a B grade zombie movie.
I moved on before the Zombies came out, went to my secret hiding place on level 4 outside 521, and lived to write this tale! Good luck!
Have you been to Hong Kong Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Hong Kong airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge (West) - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Level 6, Departures Hall West Hall, near Gate 35. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Arrival Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, landside, Level 3. Hours: open 24 hours. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Priority Pass. Package Rates: HK$400 (2 hrs) • HK$580 (5 hrs) • HK$700 (10 hrs) • HK$600 (3 hour Rest Area) • HK$ 250 Shower & Meal
- Plaza Premium Lounge (East) - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Level 6, Departures Hall East Hall, near Gate 1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Shower) - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 7, after Gate 60. Showers are available. Hours: Open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Priority Pass.
- United Club - Location: Airside, West Concourse, Level 7, before Gate 61. Hours: 7am - 930pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50) • United Club Membership.
You can find Free WiFi at Terminal 1 and 2, North Satellite Concourse and SkyPier. Connect to the "HKAirport Free WiFi" network. The Connect Zone is a pay-per-use area where you can have access to WiFi services, mobile charging and a number of other business related services. Location: - Departures Level, near gate 24. Hours: 0800-2100
If sleeping in Hong Kong Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Regal Airport Hotel - Connected to Terminal 1 via air-conditioned bridge. The hotel is a 2 minute walk or 1 min ride via scheduled airport shuttle. Day rooms are available for use from 9am to 9pm.
- Novotel Citygate - (5 min from the airport) A free airport shuttle runs between the B16 counter at Arrival Hall and the hotel every 15 minutes from 6am to 11:45pm.
- Sky City Marriott - (5 min from the airport) A free airport shuttle bus runs between the airport and the hotel every 20 minutes. The shuttle can be found at Terminal 2 Bay 29/30 from 5am to 12:40am.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Hong Kong Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Ambassadors - If you are lost and need to find your way, look for the friendly people in the red coats. The Airport Ambassadors will help you get to your desired location.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available through the airport (landside and airside)
- Aviation Discovery Center - Interactive aviation related kiosks and cockpit simulator. Location: Level 6, Landside. Hours: 12pm - 6pm (Mon - Fri) and 11am - 7pm (Sat/Sun). Note: temporarily closed.
- Children's TV Lounges and Play Areas -
» TV Lounges - Watch cartoons and other family friendly tv shows. Located on the Departures Level, Gates 1, 15, 40, 60
» Play Areas - Located Departures Level, between Gates 23 and 25
» Dream Come True Education Park - facilities designed for children to experience real life jobs by role-playing in related uniforms. Location: Level 6, Landside, 930am - 630pm (Mon - Fri) and 9am - 8pm (Sat/Sun)
- Currency Exchange -Yes. There are banks and foreign currency kiosks available throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Exhibitions - The airport offers a variety of activities such as tea-making demonstrations and Chinese Medicinal Workshops. The schedule changes every month. Various locations
- Food & Drinks - There are many food and beverage concessions at this airport and some of them are open 24 hours:
»Terminal 1 (Landside): McDonalds & McCafe (Arrivals Meeters & Greeters Hall, Level 5)
»Terminal 1 (Airside): Ajisen Ramen (East Hall, Level 7) • Cafe de Coral (East Hall, Level 7) • McDonalds & McCafe (East Hall, Level 7) • Starbucks (Departures Central Concourse, Level 6 and Departures Check-in Hall, Level 7 )
»Terminal 2 (Landside): Hung Fook Tong (Level 3)
»Terminal 2 (Airside): no 24 hour food options
- Golf - The Sky City Nine Eagles Golf Course is near Terminal 2. Equipment rental is available. Getting there: a shuttle bus departs from Terminal 2, Gate 18
- IMAX Theatre - Location: Terminal 2, Landside, Level 6, entertainment zone. Hours: 11am - 10pm
- i-Sports - i-Sports offers various sports simulators such as soccer, basketball, golf, boxing, skiing, car racing, shooting. Location: Terminal 2, Landside. Hours: 11am - 9pm.
- Luggage storage / Lockers
- Terminal 1 - Hours: 0530-0130. Rates: HK$ 40 (3 hours) | HK$ 55 (3-24 hours) | HK$ 130 (24-48 hours). Location: Level 5, Arrivals Hall
- Terminal 2 - Hours: 0900-2100 for screening | 24 hours for retrieval. Rates: HK$ 20-30 (4 hours) | HK$ 30-40 (each 12 hours). Location: Level 3, Shop 001
- Miniature Gardens and Resting Lounges - Relax in comfortable chairs amidst some greenery. Departures Level near Gates 21, 34, 41, and 61.
- Mobile Charging - We are in the process of updating this airport guide and will add the information as soon as we receive it.
- Pharmacy - Mannings has 9 locations in Terminals 1, 2 and the SkyPier - both landside and airside.
- Prayer Rooms
Terminal 1 - Hours: 0600-2359. Landside (Level 7, Check-in Hall, near Aisle A)
Terminal 1 - Hours: 24 hours. Airside (Level 6, near Gate 42)
- Showers - Location: Terminal 1 - Plaza Shower and Relaxation Lounge. (Level 7, Departures Hall West Hall). Hours: Open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
This takes passengers to Central in 24 minutes. Trains depart every 10 minutes from 05:54 to 23:28 and approximately 12-minute intervals from 23:28 to 00:48 daily. Costs vary from $5 to AsiaWorld Expo to $90 to Kowloon Station and $100 to Hong Kong Station.
Passengers can enjoy a free check-in service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations between 90 minutes and one day ahead of scheduled flights. Free shuttle bus service is available, taking passengers from Kowloon or Hong Kong stations to most major hotels and transport interchanges.
The airport is well served by public bus routes, taking passengers to and from most parts of Hong Kong. For the full schedule, cost and timings of bus routes visit the Hong Kong Airport Web Site.
Passengers can pick up a taxi to the left outside the Arrivals Hall. Taxis in Hong Kong are colour-coded according to their operating areas.
Separate rows are designated for different types of taxi: Urban taxis (red) serve all destinations throughout Hong Kong including the airport except Tung Chung Road and roads in south Lantau.
New Territories (N.T.) taxis (green) serve only the New Territories and specific roads in Lantau. Lantau taxis (blue) serve all destinations in Lantau and the airport.
A typical taxi fare will cost $295 to travel to Hong Kong Central
Hotel coaches are available to take passengers to and from major hotels in Hong Kong. You will need to go to Counter C15, Coach Station at Terminal 2 for more details.
The airport is the hub for direct transport to major cities in Guangdong Province. Coach services are available at the Coach Station of Terminal 2 to Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay Port, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Dongguan, Huizhou, Foshan, Zhongshan, Fujian and Xiamen.
SkyPier provides a speedy ferry service to eight ports in the Pearl River Delta (PRD) and Macao. These are Dongguan Humen, Guangzhou Nansha, Macao (Maritime Ferry Terminal), Macao (Taipa), Shenzhen Fuyongo, Shenzhen Shekou, Zhongshan and Zhuhai Jiuzhou.
Click to download the Hong Kong Terminal Map
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Hong Kong Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Hong Kong Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search Hong Kong hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
Last Updated: 09 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.