Hong Kong Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Hong Kong Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we actually just slept on the floor because we were so tired and didn't have to time to look for somewhere better. My dad crawled under the seats so as to be out of the way. - Steve
photo credit: Prakash / SleepingInAirports
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Hong Kong Airport.
What to Expect
- A large terminal, spread out terminal. Expect lots of walking!
- Travellers report mixed experiences here - overall, sleepers are allowed and not bothered by staff, but the customer service can be underwhelming, as they seem to adhere to strict rules that aren’t necessarily logical.
- Terminal 1 is much larger, and T2 is home to mostly budget airlines. The SkyPlaza, located in T2, is a business and entertainment complex. Flights depart around the clock, so travellers are around all night.
- T1 has several 24-hour eateries. There is one 24-hour restaurant Landside in T2, but none Airside.
- Plenty of power outlets to charge your mobile devices, but only for Hong Kong/England plugs or USB. Have an adapter handy!
- Clean restrooms with western toilets.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Seating is practically non-existent on the Landside, so get through security to find some sleeping spots.
- Many seats and benches have no armrests so you can stretch out.
- Be on the lookout for the airport’s “relaxation room”, a dimly-lit room offering massage service and loungers that lay flat for sleeping. You can find it downstairs from Gates 23 and 25. Five more loungers are available behind large black planter boxes near Gate 35.
- Very loud overnight, especially as the cleaning staff comes through, so bring ear plugs.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel connected to Terminal 1 and several hotels that provide airport shuttle service. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more info.
Good to Know
- Showers are available in T1.
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass to several airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and hours.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Hong Kong Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Hong Kong airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge (West Hall) - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Level 6, Departures Hall West Hall, near Gate 35. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (HKD 480 - 800) • Book Online (£25 - up to 3 hours or £36 - up to 6 hours)
- Plaza Premium Lounge (East Hall) - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Level 6, Departures Hall East Hall, near Gate 1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (HKD 480 - 800) • Book Online (£25 - up to 3 hours or £36 - up to 6 hours) • Priority Pass
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Shower & Relaxation) - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 7, after Gate 60. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (HKD 480 - 800).
- United Club - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, West Concourse, Level 7, before Gate 61. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59) • United Club Membership.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Arrival Hall) - Location: Terminal 2, landside, Level 3. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (HKD 480 - 800) • Priority Pass
Free WiFi is available at Hong Kong Airport. WiFi is available throughout all terminals, but the signals tend to be stronger in some areas. Connect to the “#HKAirport Free WiFi” network. No registration required! If you don’t have your own mobile device to connect to the internet, you can use a desktop computer with free internet access at any one of 36 locations airside in Terminal 1 and Midfield Concourse, and also at the Internet Zone on the Departures Level in the North Satellite Concourse.
If sleeping in Hong Kong Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Regal Airport Hotel - Connected to Terminal 1 via air-conditioned bridge. The hotel is a 2 minute walk or 1 min ride via scheduled airport shuttle. Day rooms are available for use from 9:00AM to 9:00PM.
- Novotel Hotel Citygate - (5 min from the airport) A free airport shuttle runs between the B16 counter at Arrival Hall and the hotel every 15 minutes from 6:00AM to 11:45PM.
- Sky City Marriott - (5 min from the airport) A free airport shuttle bus runs between the airport and the hotel every 20 minutes. The shuttle can be found at Terminal 2 Bay 29/30 from 5:10AM to 12:50AM.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Hong Kong Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Ambassadors - If you are lost and need to find your way, look for the friendly people in the red coats. The Airport Ambassadors will help you get to your desired location.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Bank of China, HSBC and Citibank have ATMs landside and airside in T1. HSBC and Bank of China have ATMs in T2, landside on Level 3. Travelex ATMs dispense foreign currencies 24-hr a day from six locations, landside and airside, in T1.
- Aviation Discovery Center - Learn about the history of Hong Kong’s aviation through aviation-themed exhibits and attractions, including SkyDeck! Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 11:00AM - 10:00PM (Mon - Fri) and 9:30AM - 10:00PM (Sat, Sun and holidays).
- Baby Care Facilities - Located throughout the airport are 39 nursing rooms, each equipped with infant feeding and diaper-changing facilities. There are 17 nursing rooms in Terminal 1, 5 nursing rooms in Terminal 2, 4 nursing rooms in North Satellite Concourse, 11 nursing rooms in Midfield Concourse and 2 nursing rooms in SkyPier.
- Banking - The following full-service banks are available: Bank of China (T1, landside, Departures Check-In Hall, Level 7) • HSBC (T1, landside, Arrivals Meeters & Greeters Hall, Level 5 and T2, landside, Level 6) Hours: Vary per location
- Children's TV Lounges and Play Areas -
- TV Lounges - Colorful areas for watching cartoons and children’s shows. Games are also available. Six locations: T1, airside, Departures Level, near Gates 1, 15, 41 and 60 • Midfield Concourse, airside, Departures Level, near Gates 210 and 212.
- Play Areas - Two locations: T1, airside, Departures Level, between Gates 23 - 25 • North Satellite Concourse, airside, Departures Level, between Gates 509 - 510.
- Dream Come True Education Park - An educational and interactive exhibit designed to let children experience real life working situations through costumed role play. Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 9:30AM - 6:30PM (Mon-Fri) and 9:00AM - 8:00PM (Sat, Sun and holidays).
- Currency Exchange -Yes. There are banks and foreign currency kiosks available throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Drinking Water - Drinking water stations are available throughout Terminal 1 and the North Satellite Concourse SkyPier. Each station dispenses both hot and cold water, useful for tea-making or preparing cup of noodles! There are over 50 stations in the airport. Locations: T1, airside, Departures Level, Level 6, near Gates 1, 15, 26, 34, 44 and 61 • T1, airside, Departures Level, Level 4, near 4.3 women’s restroom • T1, airside, Arrivals Level, Level 5, near transfer area E2 • North Satellite Concourse SkyPier, airside, Departures Level, Level 5, near women’s restroom • North Satellite Concourse SkyPier, airside, Departures Level, Level 4, opposite Berths 5 and 6.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available throughout the Departures and Arrivals areas of T1, on Level 3 in T2, and on Level 4 of the SkyPier. Throughout the airport is a huge variety of retail shops selling high fashion, local delicacies, teas, traditional Chinese medicines and whatever else you can think of, so welcome to shopper’s paradise!
- Exhibitions - The airport offers a variety of activities such as tea-making demonstrations and Chinese Medicinal Workshops. The schedule changes every month. Various locations
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1: Ajisen Ramen (Departures East Hall, Level 7) • Hung Fook Tong (Departures Check-In Hall, Level 7) • McDonald’s (Arrivers Greeters & Meeters Hall, Level 5 • Departures East Hall, Level 7) • Starbucks (Departures Central Concourse, Level 6 • Departures Check-In Hall, Level 7) • 7-Eleven convenience store (Arrivers Greeters & Meeters Hall, Level 5 • Arrivals Pre-immigration Hall, Level 5 • Departures Check-in Hall, Level 7)
- Terminal 2: 7-Eleven convenience store (landside, Level 3 • landside, Level 5)
- Golf - The Sky City Nine Eagles Golf Course is near Terminal 2. Equipment rental is available. Getting there: a shuttle bus departs from Terminal 2, Gate 18
- GreenLive AIR - Play 9-hole or 18-hole golf indoors at GreenLive AIR indoor golf simulator. Embroidered GreenLive AIR souvenirs are also available. Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM.
- IMAX Theatre - Enjoy 2D and 3D movies on Hong Kong’s largest IMAX screen at UA IMAX Theatre @Airport. Location: T2, landside, Level 6 Hours: 11:00AM - 10:00PM (Mon - Fri) and 9:30AM - 10:00PM (Sat, Sun and holidays).
- Information Desk - Eleven Customer Service Centres are located throughout the airport for assistance with information on airport facilities, directions, maps and other inquiries. During off-hours, Help phones are available at each location to connect you to a 24-hour information call center.
- i-Sports - i-Sports offers various sports simulators such as soccer, basketball, golf, boxing, skiing, car racing, shooting. Location: Terminal 2, Landside. Hours: 11:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Luggage storage / Lockers
- Terminal 1 - Hours: 5:30AM - 1:30AM. Rates: HK$ 40 (3 hours) | HK$ 55 (3-24 hours) | HK$ 130 (24-48 hours). Location: Level 5, Arrivals Hall
- Terminal 2 - Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM for screening | 24 hours for retrieval. Rates: HK$ 20-30 (4 hours) | HK$ 30-40 (each 12 hours). Location: Level 3, Shop 001
- Miniature Gardens and Resting Lounges - Relax in comfortable chairs amidst some greenery. Departures Level near Gates 21, 34, 41, and 61.
- Mobile Charging - More than 3,500 charging points are available throughout the airport. All use 3-rectangular-pin fused plug (rated at 13A) or a USB connector, but if you don’t have either, Qi-certified wireless charging points are available at boarding gates 1, 15, 33 and 34.
- Pharmacy - Mannings has 9 locations in Terminals 1, 2 and the SkyPier - both landside and airside.
- Post Office - Location: T1, landside, Check-In Hall, near Check-In F Hours: unknown.
- Prayer Rooms - Peaceful areas for prayer and meditation. A Qiblah (directional sign) and foot washing basin are available in all prayer rooms. Locations: (T1, airside, Level 6, near Gate 42)(North Satellite Concourse, airside, Level 5, near Gate 501)(Midfield Concourse, airside, Level 6, near Gate 211) Hours: 24 hours
- Showers - Location: Terminal 1 - Plaza Shower and Relaxation Lounge. (Level 7, Departures Hall West Hall). Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Spa & Salon Services - Offering massage, manicures, beauty treatments, and organic skincare products are available at Wellness Spa & Salon. Location: T1, airside, Departures North Concourse, Level 6 Hours: 8:30AM - 10:30PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
The Airport Express train travels between the airport and central Hong Kong in 24 minutes, departing daily in 10 - 12 minute intervals from 5:54AM - 12:48AM. Passengers can download the MTR “Next Train” app for live up-to-date train schedules. Free porter service is available at all Airport Express stations. Passengers traveling to the airport from Hong Kong and Kowloon stations can use the free flight check-in service, available from 90 minutes up to 24 hours before flight departure. Passengers arriving into Hong Kong and Kowloon stations can take advantage of the free shuttle service to area hotels and transportation hubs. For more information on fares, schedules and routes, visit the MTR web site.
The airport bus terminal is located outside and down the ramp to the right of the Arrivals Hall exit. Several different types of buses are available: “A” Routes (Airbus service), “E” Routes (External Bus services), “NA” routes (Overnight Express Bus services), “N” routes (Overnight Bus services), “S” routes (Shuttle Bus service to the airport). Buses announcements are spoken in Mandarin, Cantonese and English. Passengers need exact fare or Octopus card. For more information on schedules, routes and fares, visit the Citybus or Long Win Bus web sites.
Taxis can be found at the airport’s Taxi Station, located outside near the ramp to the left of the Arrivals Hall exit. Three different color-coded taxis are available:
- Urban (red) taxis serve Hong Kong (except Tung Chung Road and south Lantau), the airport and Discovery Bay North.
- New Territories NT (green) taxis serve the New Territories and specific roads in Lantau.
- Lantau (blue) taxis serve all of Lantau and the airport
Baggage fees are charged for all luggage placed in the baggage compartment of the taxi and luggage over 140cm placed in the passenger compartment. Most taxis can hold up to three pieces of regular-sized luggage.
Vigor Airport Shuttle Services provides a hotel coach service between the airport and major hotels in Hong Kong. Tickets can be purchased in Terminal 1 from Counter B01 in Arrivals Hall B. Buses depart from the Terminal 2 coach station. Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Disney's Hollywood Hotel • Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel • Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel • Novotel Citygate Hong Kong • Regal Airport Hotel.
Please note: Be sure to have all necessary identification, travel documents and visas before boarding any transportation going between Hong Kong and mainland China.
- Bus: Buses to land-control points and Guangdong province are available in the Terminal 2 coach station.
- Ferry: SkyPier ferry service is available only to airport passengers needing to travel between Hong Kong International Airport, Macao and the PRD (Pearl River Delta), and not available as a general service to the public. Ferries transport passengers to and from nine ports in the PRD, as well as the ferry terminal on Macao.
- Limousine: Passengers can travel in luxury to Guangdong and other mainland cities via SkyLimo deluxe limousine service. English-speaking chauffeurs provide door-to-door service, as well as tours. Service is available daily from 7:00AM - 12:00AM but must be booked in advance. Several travel and tour companies provide this service, and are located in the Terminal 2 coach station.
Last Updated: 19 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.