Hong Kong Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Hong Kong Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we actually just slept on the floor because we were so tired and didn't have to time to look for somewhere better. My dad crawled under the seats so as to be out of the way. - Steve
By a Guest Reviewer
July 2015 - I arrived at Hong Kong Airport Terminal 1 before the check in counter for my flight was supposed to open at 4am for an early flight ETD 07:30. None of the shops at the departure hall landside was open, the help desk was unstaffed and there was the only F&B outlet that stayed open was a Starbucks kiosk at the far end of the hall. Only beverages and not even a sandwich for sale. All the seats were occupied and I had to walk around till the counter opened for check in. I had to walk to the opposite end of the airport where only one immigration counter and two X-ray counters were staffed. Didn't expect to queue at 5am. Airside toilets were not cleaned with faint stench. None of the shops were open. McDonalds was the only F&B outlet that was serving customers. At least there were seats here. Free wifi was good but that was it. Drinking fountains in the main concourse of airside departure hall were not working. I can hardly believe that this used to be one of the world's favourite airports. Standards have dropped markedly.
Have you been to Hong Kong Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Hong Kong airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge (West) - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Level 6, Departures Hall West Hall, near Gate 35. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Arrival Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, landside, Level 3. Hours: open 24 hours. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Priority Pass. Package Rates: HK$400 (2 hrs) • HK$580 (5 hrs) • HK$700 (10 hrs) • HK$600 (3 hour Rest Area) • HK$ 250 Shower & Meal
- Plaza Premium Lounge (East) - Location: Terminal 1, airside, Level 6, Departures Hall East Hall, near Gate 1. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£25) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (Shower) - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 7, after Gate 60. Showers are available. Hours: Open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Priority Pass.
- United Club - Location: Airside, West Concourse, Level 7, before Gate 61. Hours: 7am - 930pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50) • United Club Membership.
You can find Free WiFi at Terminal 1 and 2, North Satellite Concourse and SkyPier. Connect to the "HKAirport Free WiFi" network. The Connect Zone is a pay-per-use area where you can have access to WiFi services, mobile charging and a number of other business related services. Location: - Departures Level, near gate 24. Hours: 0800-2100
If sleeping in Hong Kong Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Regal Airport Hotel - Connected to Terminal 1 via air-conditioned bridge. The hotel is a 2 minute walk or 1 min ride via scheduled airport shuttle. Day rooms are available for use from 9am to 9pm.
- Novotel Citygate - (5 min from the airport) A free airport shuttle runs between the B16 counter at Arrival Hall and the hotel every 15 minutes from 6am to 11:45pm.
- Sky City Marriott - (5 min from the airport) A free airport shuttle bus runs between the airport and the hotel every 20 minutes. The shuttle can be found at Terminal 2 Bay 29/30 from 5am to 12:40am.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Hong Kong Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Ambassadors - If you are lost and need to find your way, look for the friendly people in the red coats. The Airport Ambassadors will help you get to your desired location.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available through the airport (landside and airside)
- Aviation Discovery Center - Interactive aviation related kiosks and cockpit simulator. Location: Level 6, Landside. Hours: 12pm - 6pm (Mon - Fri) and 11am - 7pm (Sat/Sun). Note: temporarily closed.
- Children's TV Lounges and Play Areas -
» TV Lounges - Watch cartoons and other family friendly tv shows. Located on the Departures Level, Gates 1, 15, 40, 60
» Play Areas - Located Departures Level, between Gates 23 and 25
» Dream Come True Education Park - facilities designed for children to experience real life jobs by role-playing in related uniforms. Location: Level 6, Landside, 930am - 630pm (Mon - Fri) and 9am - 8pm (Sat/Sun)
- Currency Exchange -Yes. There are banks and foreign currency kiosks available throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Exhibitions - The airport offers a variety of activities such as tea-making demonstrations and Chinese Medicinal Workshops. The schedule changes every month. Various locations
- Food & Drinks - There are many food and beverage concessions at this airport and some of them are open 24 hours:
»Terminal 1 (Landside): McDonalds & McCafe (Arrivals Meeters & Greeters Hall, Level 5)
»Terminal 1 (Airside): Ajisen Ramen (East Hall, Level 7) • Cafe de Coral (East Hall, Level 7) • McDonalds & McCafe (East Hall, Level 7) • Starbucks (Departures Central Concourse, Level 6 and Departures Check-in Hall, Level 7 )
»Terminal 2 (Landside): Hung Fook Tong (Level 3)
»Terminal 2 (Airside): no 24 hour food options
- Golf - The Sky City Nine Eagles Golf Course is near Terminal 2. Equipment rental is available. Getting there: a shuttle bus departs from Terminal 2, Gate 18
- IMAX Theatre - Location: Terminal 2, Landside, Level 6, entertainment zone. Hours: 11am - 10pm
- i-Sports - i-Sports offers various sports simulators such as soccer, basketball, golf, boxing, skiing, car racing, shooting. Location: Terminal 2, Landside. Hours: 11am - 9pm.
- Luggage storage / Lockers
- Terminal 1 - Hours: 0530-0130. Rates: HK$ 40 (3 hours) | HK$ 55 (3-24 hours) | HK$ 130 (24-48 hours). Location: Level 5, Arrivals Hall
- Terminal 2 - Hours: 0900-2100 for screening | 24 hours for retrieval. Rates: HK$ 20-30 (4 hours) | HK$ 30-40 (each 12 hours). Location: Level 3, Shop 001
- Miniature Gardens and Resting Lounges - Relax in comfortable chairs amidst some greenery. Departures Level near Gates 21, 34, 41, and 61.
- Mobile Charging - We are in the process of updating this airport guide and will add the information as soon as we receive it.
- Pharmacy - Mannings has 9 locations in Terminals 1, 2 and the SkyPier - both landside and airside.
- Prayer Rooms
Terminal 1 - Hours: 0600-2359. Landside (Level 7, Check-in Hall, near Aisle A)
Terminal 1 - Hours: 24 hours. Airside (Level 6, near Gate 42)
- Showers - Location: Terminal 1 - Plaza Shower and Relaxation Lounge. (Level 7, Departures Hall West Hall). Hours: Open 24 hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The Airport Express train travels between the airport and central Hong Kong in 24 minutes, departing daily in 10 - 12 minute intervals from 5:54AM - 12:48AM. Passengers can download the MTR “Next Train” app for live up-to-date train schedules. Free porter service is available at all Airport Express stations. Passengers traveling to the airport from Hong Kong and Kowloon stations can use the free flight check-in service, available from 90 minutes up to 24 hours before flight departure. Passengers arriving into Hong Kong and Kowloon stations can take advantage of the free shuttle service to area hotels and transportation hubs. For more information on fares, schedules and routes, visit the MTR web site.
The airport bus terminal is located outside and down the ramp to the right of the Arrivals Hall exit. Several different types of buses are available: “A” Routes (Airbus service), “E” Routes (External Bus services), “NA” routes (Overnight Express Bus services), “N” routes (Overnight Bus services), “S” routes (Shuttle Bus service to the airport). Buses announcements are spoken in Mandarin, Cantonese and English. Passengers need exact fare or Octopus card. For more information on schedules, routes and fares, visit the Citybus or Long Win Bus web sites.
Taxis can be found at the airport’s Taxi Station, located outside near the ramp to the left of the Arrivals Hall exit. Three different color-coded taxis are available:
- Urban (red) taxis serve Hong Kong (except Tung Chung Road and south Lantau), the airport and Discovery Bay North.
- New Territories NT (green) taxis serve the New Territories and specific roads in Lantau.
- Lantau (blue) taxis serve all of Lantau and the airport
Baggage fees are charged for all luggage placed in the baggage compartment of the taxi and luggage over 140cm placed in the passenger compartment. Most taxis can hold up to three pieces of regular-sized luggage.
Vigor Airport Shuttle Services provides a hotel coach service between the airport and major hotels in Hong Kong. Tickets can be purchased in Terminal 1 from Counter B01 in Arrivals Hall B. Buses depart from the Terminal 2 coach station.
Please note: Be sure to have all necessary identification, travel documents and visas before boarding any transportation going between Hong Kong and mainland China.
- Bus: Buses to land-control points and Guangdong province are available in the Terminal 2 coach station.
- Ferry: SkyPier ferry service is available only to airport passengers needing to travel between Hong Kong International Airport, Macao and the PRD (Pearl River Delta), and not available as a general service to the public. Ferries transport passengers to and from nine ports in the PRD, as well as the ferry terminal on Macao.
- Limousine: Passengers can travel in luxury to Guangdong and other mainland cities via SkyLimo deluxe limousine service. English-speaking chauffeurs provide door-to-door service, as well as tours. Service is available daily from 7:00AM - 12:00AM but must be booked in advance. Several travel and tour companies provide this service, and are located in the Terminal 2 coach station.
Last Updated: 14 November 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.